Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:56   #1426
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Just do yourself and your dad a favor and buy an iPad. I know its pricey, but you will have peace of mind for next 3-4 years.

(This coming from an Windows and Android guy).
I don't have any other Apple device and do not plan to buy one too in the near future w.r.t. smartphones. So will the Ipad be problematic in terms of connectivity options and transferring data between devices?
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:22   #1427
BHPian

The two things I really liked on apple devices is FaceTime and Photostream. Of course, the other family member/friend also needs to have a apple device. While whatsapp would be similar to photostream, I still like photostream. Would Skype compare to FaceTime?
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:41   #1428
BANNED

Quote:
Just do yourself and your dad a favor and buy an iPad. I know its pricey, but you will have peace of mind for next 3-4 years.

(This coming from an Windows and Android guy).
Why? This may have been true 3-4 years back. But as of today, what does a IPad provide which Android does not provide in terms of usability or features. And I think Windows will also catch with both of them in a years time.
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:43   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why? This may have been true 3-4 years back. But as of today, what does a IPad provide which Android does not provide in terms of usability or features. And I think Windows will also catch with both of them in a years time.
Just to repeat what we all know...a product is not just about features, but its the whole package that matters. The following is my observations and experiences. Your "mileage" may vary.

Software interface and the home screen button:

Apple has a team of brilliant engineers who have perfected the art of creating a perfect mobile OS which covers all bases. Android has still not perfected this art. I have the latest KitKat (4.4) on my Nexus 7. The OS still thinks for a few moments before the screen orientation switches between portrait and landscape. Sometimes, it just pauses. The transition is not smooth as well. Jarring experience indeed. The iPad has just one physical button, which in my opinion is perfect. Android's software buttons rotate with screen orientation resulting in awkward two hands usage. If you are using a 10" screen in two hands, the iPads home button is easily accessible, whereas, in Android, you have to let go off one hand to access the home button. In some implementations, the home button bar takes up valuable screen real estate, resulting in less content available on the screen. The back button is not friendly either. While Android has tried to arrive at a uniform interface, it results in unexpected behaviour sometimes. Overall, iOS is smooth and refined. Android is yet to catch up. From my perspective, its a "me too" OS.

Apps:

iPad has better apps optimized for iPad, whereas for Android, many are blown up phone apps. Take for e.g: NetFlix for iPad. It still does not have user profiles, where as the iPad's NetFlix has user profiles from the day NetFlix offered the same. In general, what I have noticed is that, iPad apps are more polished, complete and optimized for the target system. As Android HW and SW is fragmented, most of the times, the apps are half baked. The developers are eager to develop for iPad and are more likely to monetize from it than Android.

EcoSystem:

The iPad ecosystem is extremely matured. Lots of products are available in terms of peripherals and accessories. Again, the products are more in number and polished for iPad.

Build Quality and Service:

The iPads are held to very strict quality control processes, resulting in tablets of very high build quality. My iPad 1 is still strong and blows the newer tablets out of water in terms of build quality, ergonomics and battery strength. To this day, I get 10+ hours of usage, though it is 3 years old. Buttons are optimally placed and the whole usage of hardware and software is very intuitive. Of course, I have newer ones as well. We must keep in mind that the iOS is heavily optimized for iPad (and iPhone), resulting in a sum of greater than its parts. When my collegues iPad got a scratch on the screen, Apple replaced it. This may be a one-off case, but at least we could go to a physical place and interact with physical, real people.

-------------

I can go on. But my point is, this gentleman wanted to purchase a tablet for him or for his dad, and he wont go wrong with iPad. This gentleman can reap the benefits of last 3 years of SW and HW development. The usage is intuitive, simple and no-nonsense. The experience is premium. Android is for tinkerers (like me!). It has lots of rough edges and still playing catch-up with the real McCoy.

Windows is good as well. But if you install SplashTop 2 on iPad (or Android), and if you have a Windows 8 PC, then you will have yourself a full blown Windows tablet. No need to buy one.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 3rd December 2013 at 09:45.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:16   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I don't have any other Apple device and do not plan to buy one too in the near future w.r.t. smartphones. So will the Ipad be problematic in terms of connectivity options and transferring data between devices?
Can you please elaborate on "connectivity options"? Transferring data between what devices?

iPad is lousy in file handling. With the absence of any real file manager, things are not expected to improve in near future.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:00   #1431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Can you please elaborate on "connectivity options"? Transferring data between what devices?

iPad is lousy in file handling. With the absence of any real file manager, things are not expected to improve in near future.
Sorry I am a noob when it comes to Apple. So excuse the total lack of knowledge. What I have heard is that it will be really tough to transfer any file between the ipad and lets say my Android phone or windows laptop. For instance pictures, any stuff downloaded from net, music etc etc.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:29   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I am a noob when it comes to Apple. So excuse the total lack of knowledge. What I have heard is that it will be really tough to transfer any file between the ipad and lets say my Android phone or windows laptop. For instance pictures, any stuff downloaded from net, music etc etc.
No problem. We were all noobs as well once upon a time! Transferring files to iPad is a lousy business, if not tough. The lack of SD card functionality is a solid negative with iPad. But if you can work your way through iTunes, then transferring files should not be an issue. iTunes is a software from Apple for Apple hardware. You can transfer and backup your files in local harddrive and in cloud using iTunes. You can also buy an adapter to transfer photos from your SD card or camera directly to iPad without using iTunes, though I have not used it.

Summary: Transferring files: Lousy, yes. Difficult? No.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:39   #1433
Distinguished - BHPian

How frequently do you guys use the 3G functionality of your tablets? Is it really practical? Or just one of those features which we pay for so much at time of buying and then never use them. I am asking this because to me the Nexus 7 (2012) edition is looking like a great deal at around 12k for the 32gb model. It will serve the purpose of net browsing, occasional skype and gaming quite well I feel at home. But the only downer is the slightly smaller screen size ( at 7" I am not sure how much larger will it be from my smartphone) and the lack of 3G connectivity and hence cannot be used outside our house. But do we really need it for that given that the smartphone will anyways do that job while on the go. Confused!

The Ipad is turning out to be quite costly and I am not sure if I want to spend that much.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:46   #1434
BHPian

I found the 7 inch screen size to be a waste neither here nor there. A 10.1 screen is a better option IMHO. There was an iBall 10.1 tab I saw in Vijay sales. Check it out if it work for you.
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:42   #1435
BANNED

Quote:
But the only downer is the slightly smaller screen size ( at 7" I am not sure how much larger will it be from my smartphone)
Depends on you. My wife loves the Nexus 7 2012 with 16 GB/Wifi.
Me, I don't use tablets. I prefer a minimum 14" screen. Hence use atleast a laptop.

Quote:
and the lack of 3G connectivity and hence cannot be used outside our house. But do we really need it for that given that the smartphone will anyways do that job while on the go.
Your can tether any Wifi device (like the Nexus 7) to your phone's 3G when you are on the go. Turn on tethering on the phone to convert the phone into a portable wifi device and your tablet will be connected through wifi to your phone's 3G.
Old 4th December 2013, 09:00   #1436
Distinguished - BHPian

I am really leaning towards the Nexus 7 range. The 2012 models priced at 9k at flipkart sounds really good. Is it worth spending another 11k for the 2013 variant? Also the GSMarena review mentions 2013 nexus 7 has microsim but flipkart doesn't agree. So which one is correct? Does the new Nexus 7 has the sim facility?

Lastly anyone using Lava tablets here? The distributor for the same is a friend in Delhi and will give it for almost his cost price and also told me that he will replace it for free anytime in the first year if anything goes wrong. Does it make any sense to opt for this?
Old 4th December 2013, 09:49   #1437
BANNED

Quote:
I am really leaning towards the Nexus 7 range. The 2012 models priced at 9k at flipkart sounds really good. Is it worth spending another 11k for the 2013 variant? Also the GSMarena review mentions 2013 nexus 7 has microsim but flipkart doesn't agree. So which one is correct? Does the new Nexus 7 has the sim facility?
Even the old Nexus 7 with 3G should have a SIM or MicroSIM. How else will they do 3G without that? You need to decide if you need 3G or not - once you decide that, you can buy the right 2012 Nexus 7. In my opinion it's a huge bargain, these devices use to sell for 50-75% more as compared to today 6 months back.

Last edited by carboy : 4th December 2013 at 09:56.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:27   #1438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Even the old Nexus 7 with 3G should have a SIM or MicroSIM. How else will they do 3G without that? You need to decide if you need 3G or not - once you decide that, you can buy the right 2012 Nexus 7. In my opinion it's a huge bargain, these devices use to sell for 50-75% more as compared to today 6 months back.
But I didn't spot the sim version of the nexus 7, 2012 edition. Was there one launched?

Last couple of queries :
1. Can we add something like MS office in the tab? Any application for that in play store?
2. Will this tablet be able to use something like a Tata photon usb device? Or will they work only with WIFI?
Old 4th December 2013, 10:42   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I didn't spot the sim version of the nexus 7, 2012 edition. Was there one launched?

Last couple of queries :
1. Can we add something like MS office in the tab? Any application for that in play store?
2. Will this tablet be able to use something like a Tata photon usb device? Or will they work only with WIFI?
1.The documents option is there, you can save it on the cloud, not sure about the security aspect.
2. Tata Photon has launched a portable wifi dongle, that option would be less complicated, the other option is to buy a portable router and get a sim card from a 3g provider, based on network coverage for the areas you frequent.

The sim version is not seen online these days, go for the 2012 version, 11k in my opinion is a bit too much. The upgrade to KitKat is almost instant, so you are getting the latest OS.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:25   #1440
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Last couple of queries :
I use a 2012 Nexus 7 with 16GB storage, doc. It also came in 32GB and 32GB 3G variants (with micro-SIM I guess), apart from one with 8GB that was discontinued later.

It is a fabulous device for light to moderate internet use. Browsing, reading e-mail, social networking, reading e-books etc. is a breeze on the device. The light weight and grippy back enable it to be held in one hand most of the time, and can be used even while lying down. Anything more, such as typing long e-mails, productivity related stuff etc. becomes difficult because of the small screen.

It does have some drawbacks, such as the crappy speaker and rather limited battery life. The battery life could also be because my device is quite old now, but even when new it was less than what I would have liked. But the latest Android KitKat update seems to have improved the battery life marginally. The speakers are quite awful, and this seems to have been fixed on the next generation 2013 model.

With the current discounts on the 2012 model, it really is superb value-for-money, and I would recommend it without hesitation for anyone who wants a quality small screen tablet mainly for reading. And being a Nexus, one will always get the latest Android updates immediately.

Regarding your queries. Yes, there are Office suites on the Play store, but one must remember that they don't come anywhere near the functionality of a full Microsoft Office on a computer. So reading and minor editing of documents would be okay, but working on them or creating them is better done on a computer. The small screen does not help matters, either.

I don't know if any external 3G USB dongle works with the device, as I have not used them. It works beautifully with Wi-fi, Wi-fi hotspot or Bluetooth hotspot generated by a smartphone. You can also use a small Wi-fi router that works with 3G modems, or if you have not bought the 3G modem yet, you can go for one that comes with a Wi-fi hotspot built in.

Last edited by RSR : 4th December 2013 at 12:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks