Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 18:56   #1486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I am planning to get an ipad mini. Where can I get the best price in Mumbai/Online?

I have a practically unused 64 GB playbook. Is it possible to exchange or sell it off?
Flipkart has a exchange offer. Check with them. Not sure if they have BB Playbook in the list of buy backs.

Last i checked I was getting iPad Mini 16GB WiFi for 14950/- after exchanging my Samsung Tab 2.
Old 14th March 2014, 18:57   #1487
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I am planning to get an ipad mini. Where can I get the best price in Mumbai/Online?

I have a practically unused 64 GB playbook. Is it possible to exchange or sell it off?
http://www.flipkart.com/apple-16gb-i...d-93d3f098d2b2

You will get 7000 for your playbook with flipkart. Which is a good price i guess.

Last edited by slicvic : 14th March 2014 at 19:06.
Old 16th March 2014, 16:01   #1488
BHPian

Guys has anybody been able to tether a Playbook with an android phone?

I have a Playbook and a Note 2 and I have not been able to make the two work together. Any inputs/ suggestions?
Old 30th March 2014, 13:09   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here used a windows 8 tablet? Not the RT one, but the ones running full fledged Windows.

Tried using the Acer iconia w4 at a shop here, and seemed pretty good. Most desktop apps work well and has full version of office bundled with it. Not getting it as I need sim support. Heard Lenovo has a new ThinkPad tab. Anyone has any info on it?
Old 28th April 2014, 15:53   #1490
Distinguished - BHPian

Keen on picking up a tablet for the primary purpose of reading voluminous PDF's. But will also use it for other functions (browsing etc) as the case may be. Could you recommend the best option available which will not hurt my eyes (reading a few hours at a time)?

Not hurting my eyes is THE most IMPORTANT factor. I will usually read in a well lit environment.

I am unhappy that the Kindle paper white reader is only a single purpose tool, and hence am wary of it.
Old 28th April 2014, 19:08   #1491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Keen on picking up a tablet for the primary purpose of reading voluminous PDF's. But will also use it for other functions (browsing etc) as the case may be. Could you recommend the best option available which will not hurt my eyes (reading a few hours at a time)?

Not hurting my eyes is THE most IMPORTANT factor. I will usually read in a well lit environment.

I am unhappy that the Kindle paper white reader is only a single purpose tool, and hence am wary of it.
Bigger screen size would definitely reduce the strain on the eyes. You haven't mentioned your budget. Check out the various 10" models that fit your budget. Brands like Micromax/Karbonn/iBall would probably get you a 10" at the price of a 7" Samsung. If you can spend a little more, Lenovo, Asus et al would give you a better built tablet.

BTW, battery life could be lower for 10" when compared a similar spec 7" from the same brand. So I would recommend you try reading from a 7" and 10" in case some of your friends have it to see if you really need a 10" screen size or a longer battery life more. My dad uses the 7" tablet only if the articles are relatively small and he can zoom and read, else he uses the laptop. However, my 7" Lenovo can easily last from morning to evening which helps if you are travelling.

Last edited by zenren : 28th April 2014 at 19:17.
Old 5th May 2014, 10:33   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Has anyone here used a windows 8 tablet? Not the RT one, but the ones running full fledged Windows.

Tried using the Acer iconia w4 at a shop here, and seemed pretty good. Most desktop apps work well and has full version of office bundled with it. Not getting it as I need sim support. Heard Lenovo has a new ThinkPad tab. Anyone has any info on it?
JayD, I bought a Surface Pro (1, not Pro 2), 128GB, recently during April 2014. I must say its outstanding. It practically replaces all your gadgets. Its an very fast ultrabook. Its not a tablet and its not a laptop. As long as you can understand its strengths and weaknesses, then you will not go wrong with this. I bought it in Amazon for $610 USD. It has a highly pressure sensitive 1080p touch screen. Battery life is 4 hours, though I am eking out 6 hours by throttling the processor power consumption.

iPad/Android tablets have their own uses, but they cant hold a candle to Surface. Its a pity that MS is not marketing the device as it should.

If you need more details, PM me.
Old 5th May 2014, 10:38   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Very simple. Just buy a 10+ in tablet from a reputed company, with a battery life of 8-10 hours. I am not sure of your reading position, but you seem to want to read in stretches of few hours at time (on a bed or on a desk?). A light tablet, high resolution, big screen size and a long battery life is a MUST for you.

iPad Air (32k) and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (65k) comes to my mind.
---------
Note: Note Pro's price is outlandish. You can buy a good PC in that price. I have mentioned it nevertheless due to your requirement of "tablet". If you were not aware of this earlier, then my purpose is served.

I found PDF reading on iPad painful. The windows bounce at every touch. The text wont wrap. May be some Android gurus can advise you definitively.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 5th May 2014 at 10:47. Reason: Edited the gadget name for clarify
Old 5th May 2014, 11:41   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

Have the Acer Iconia Ultrabook, running Win 8.1. It comes with a cover case, which has a BlueTooth keyboard which comes in very handy when you want to type out large documents.

Has 4GB ram and 64GB SDD - cold boot time is 5 seconds.

Tried for Surface, but no stock availability. Not sure why Microsoft is killing such a good product.
Old 5th May 2014, 13:10   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
Guys has anybody been able to tether a Playbook with an android phone?

I have a Playbook and a Note 2 and I have not been able to make the two work together. Any inputs/ suggestions?
You mean, you want to share Note 2's 3G/2G connection with your Playbook (and playbook does not have 3G/SIM inside it).

That should work, since I have tried this earlier with my Motorola phone's 3G (along with wifi-only Playbook).
Old 5th May 2014, 13:12   #1496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Very simple. Just buy a 10+ in tablet from a reputed company, with a battery life of 8-10 hours. I am not sure of your reading position, but you seem to want to read in stretches of few hours at time (on a bed or on a desk?). A light tablet, high resolution, big screen size and a long battery life is a MUST for you.

iPad Air (32k) and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (65k) comes to my mind.
---------
Note: Note Pro's price is outlandish. You can buy a good PC in that price. I have mentioned it nevertheless due to your requirement of "tablet". If you were not aware of this earlier, then my purpose is served.

I found PDF reading on iPad painful. The windows bounce at every touch. The text wont wrap. May be some Android gurus can advise you definitively.
Thanks man. Google is coming out with the Nexus 8 with an 8 inch screen (strong rumor), which might just fit my needs of a tablet that fits in my hands. Should be out during Google I/O later this year.

Pretty sad that text wrapping doesn't work on the iPad air. The only browser that i see which does text wrapping on Android so far is Opera.
Old 5th May 2014, 14:23   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. Google is coming out with the Nexus 8 ....

Pretty sad that text wrapping doesn't work on the iPad air. The only browser that i see which does text wrapping on Android so far is Opera.
You are falling into a trap here. If PDF reading is your main thing, AVOID ALL less than 10" tablets. It should be minimum 10". The reason being none of the readers (Except RepliGo for BlackBerry) on any OS wraps PDF text. You can zoom in and zoom out, but when you zoom out, the text goes out of the screen. It wont wrap. Please buy a big tablet to avoid this pitfall. Thats the reason why I mentioned Note Pro 12.2. Bigger the better to prevent wrap issues and eye strain.

(BTW, text wrapping works on all browsers on all OSes. PDF wont wrap).
Old 5th May 2014, 14:36   #1498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are falling into a trap here. If PDF reading is your main thing, AVOID ALL less than 10" tablets. It should be minimum 10". The reason being none of the readers (Except RepliGo for BlackBerry) on any OS wraps PDF text. You can zoom in and zoom out, but when you zoom out, the text goes out of the screen. It wont wrap. Please buy a big tablet to avoid this pitfall. Thats the reason why I mentioned Note Pro 12.2. Bigger the better to prevent wrap issues and eye strain.

Wonder why there's no app that solves this yet - am sure its a big enough problem to a lot of people out there! Btw, I intend to use either flux or twilight to ease the late night reading sessions on my eyes.
Old 7th May 2014, 14:32   #1499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Just found an app that promises to wrap text on android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.android.lite This is an e-book reader.

Strange that iOS doesn't have one yet. Are you sure about this?

Last edited by Red Liner : 7th May 2014 at 14:36.
Old 7th May 2014, 15:18   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Kindle is something that will last for 5 - 6 years. Any other Tablet will usually become slow after couple of OS upgrades (newer version of Apps / OS tend to assume better hardware).

And given the price (5 - 10k), it is a pretty good device if reading is primary purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks