Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 17:35   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I wonder if any of you would know whether it is possible to lock or hide an app or a folder on the Ipad (and no temporary solutions please)? If I wanted to password protect or hide my Goodreader app, is it possible?
Are you willing to JailBreak your iPad? If you do, this $1 App is designed for this scenario (I.e. restrict access to files/folders and Apps)

http://jaxov.com/2011/02/password-pr...od-touch-ipad/

If you dont want to JailBreak, this free app can get quite close :

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/id379870459?mt=8

This is a "File manager", it allowes you to create file/folders and manage access.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 19th November 2013 at 17:37.
Old 19th November 2013, 17:45   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
... This is a "File manager", it allowes you to create file/folders and manage access.
Interesting.

* Does it allow one access to existing 'folders'? Or does it create it's own new folders?

* How does one transfer files to these 'folders' from within the device (no?

* I assume it fires an internal request to run the appropriate App when one wants to access a 'file'?

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th November 2013 at 18:13.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:22   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* Does it allow one access to existing 'folders'? Or does it create it's own new folders?
It works with HFS+ on NAND, so folders are actual filesystem folders. (technically /Users folder that has one home directory per user). From iOS dev guide:

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-mosx_fs_layout.jpg

Quote:
* How does one transfer files to these 'folders'?
It exposes WebDAV over WiFi, so just need to mount it on your Mac.

Quote:
* I assume it fires an internal request to run the appropriate App when one wants to access a 'file'?
Depends. For Text / PDF few MS Office files, it has built-in viewer. For others, it delegates to iOS.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:39   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... It exposes WebDAV over WiFi, so just need to mount it on your Mac. ...
Well, I actually meant from within the device (I started editing my post, but half-way through I got busy in a call so I finished editing without noticing the sentence was incomplete).

I doubt if it will allow copying / moving, for example, music or video tracks to somewhere else. That would defeat Apple's famous anti-piracy stance. I guess the App wouldn't have gotten past their scrutiny when it was submitted for listing.

Quote:
... For others, it delegates to iOS.
That's fairly common, I suppose. I use an App that allows me to look at network shares on Windows and PCs, and handles most file types well.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:43   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if it will allow copying / moving, for example, music or video tracks to somewhere else.
Don't know that . My devices are jailbroken so not bothered about Apple's restrictions.
Old 19th November 2013, 21:05   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you willing to JailBreak your iPad? If you do, this $1 App is designed for this scenario (I.e. restrict access to files/folders and Apps)

http://jaxov.com/2011/02/password-pr...od-touch-ipad/

If you dont want to JailBreak, this free app can get quite close :

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/id379870459?mt=8

This is a "File manager", it allowes you to create file/folders and manage access.
Quote:
iOS doesn't follow the principles of desktops / laptops - it is meant to be a personal (1 person) device, and hence doesn't have another layer of security built on storage.

iOS doesn't have a concept of Folders - anything in storage has to be associated with an App that can handle it. In reality, since iOS has a Unix chassis and drivetrain, it *does* have physical folders to organize storage. BUT, the Folder paradigm is not made visible in the UI layer. User doesn't "create files", but "stores data within an App". The App has a designated folder to store the data.

As far as App Groups are concerned, they are a convenient way of showing a Groups as a collection of App icons. It has nothing to do with Folders. Each App still retains its uniqueness at the storage level.
DerAlte and Netfreak - thank you both for your inputs (some of which has gone over my head)
I do not want to jailbreak my ipad so I think I'll check out that second free app.
I was thinking of something simple - maybe a number lock for apps which would keep out prying eyes.
Old 21st November 2013, 15:25   #1417
BHPian

My 2013 Nexus 7 arrived today. Had ordered it from Amazon.com along with a case and screen protector. It was not available on the Indian play store at that time. Got it shipped here via HopShopGo. Total cost came up to around Rs. 26.5k for the whole package.
Old 21st November 2013, 15:36   #1418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
My 2013 Nexus 7 arrived today. Had ordered it from Amazon.com along with a case and screen protector. It was not available on the Indian play store at that time. Got it shipped here via HopShopGo. Total cost came up to around Rs. 26.5k for the whole package.
How does that work? You order at third party site or on Amazon? Would they allow India bound sale ? Or you buy and ship to third party?
Old 21st November 2013, 15:49   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How does that work? You order at third party site or on Amazon? Would they allow India bound sale ? Or you buy and ship to third party?
I got it here via HopShopGo which is basically like a forwarder. On registering with them you get a personal US address which you can use as your shipping address on US websites. Once the package is delivered to them they notify you with shipping costs. After the payment for shipping is made they will dispatch the consignment via DHL. DHL pays any customs duties and will charge you the same at the time of delivery.

HopShopGo also has a service where they will buy the product for you instead of you buying and shipping to them.

PS: Amazon offers global shipping too but it was applicable only on the tablet and not on the case and SP.
Old 29th November 2013, 12:05   #1420
Senior - BHPian

I got my Nexus 7(2012) 16GB through Flipkart, on 27/11 after I ordered it on 25/11 evening. The tablet cost me 9k and by 27/11 evening itselft it has been upgraded to KitKat from version 4.2 at time of opening. Finally no need to switch on my laptop and wait for windows to load so I can check my mail.
Old 30th November 2013, 12:30   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I got my Nexus 7(2012) 16GB through Flipkart, on 27/11 after I ordered it on 25/11 evening. The tablet cost me 9k and by 27/11 evening itselft it has been upgraded to KitKat from version 4.2 at time of opening. Finally no need to switch on my laptop and wait for windows to load so I can check my mail.
How is it for video calling over Skype? Need one for my mother to use to Skype with us.
Old 30th November 2013, 13:03   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
How is it for video calling over Skype? Need one for my mother to use to Skype with us.
Excellent. Just got one for my parents for Skype + Sharing photos on Google+.
Just had to setup a WiFi router for them (and connect it to inverter) and all was good to go.

Amazing deal for 9k.
Old 30th November 2013, 13:47   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just getting the hang of it. Currently using it only browsing/mail.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:42   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to finally jump into the Tablet bandwagon and buy a tablet for home. Usage pattern is very basic and it would be used for:
1. Basic internet surfing
2. Skype

Not much into gaming although would love if it can play basic games. Would also like to have both Wifi and 3G capability. Budget is not fixed but not looking to spend a lot. What all options can I consider? Also I feel the screen size should atleast be 8-9" or more since it needs to provide a hassle free experience to my dad who would find it very inconvenient on a small screen.
Also I wouldn't be changing it very frequently and would like to keep it for 3 years atleast. So need decent specifications. For instance I don't find my galaxy S2 outdated in any area even today after 2 and half years of usage.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd December 2013 at 11:45.
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:15   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Planning to finally jump into the Tablet bandwagon and buy a tablet for home. Usage pattern is very basic and it would be used for:
1. Basic internet surfing
2. Skype
Just do yourself and your dad a favor and buy an iPad. I know its pricey, but you will have peace of mind for next 3-4 years.

(This coming from an Windows and Android guy).

Last edited by bsdbsd : 2nd December 2013 at 15:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks