Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 11:52   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I wanted a tab mostly to read PDF and pictures and found 7 inch screens a bit too small for me.The new nexus 7 is awesome but recent touch screen issues(i wont be able to return the tab if something goes wrong) made me look at the nook HD+ which is very similar to the kindle fire HD 8.9 in specification.

My budget is around 250$ and most of the decent 9 or 10 inch tabs are 300$ plus in the US which is way above my budget.
How is the nook hd+ ? Its on some clearance sale for 150$. It has got some good support by devs for custom roms so is it a good buy?

Thanks.
Since you have mentioned budget of $250, i suggest you look at ASUS Memo301 for $20 more.

http://www.amazon.com/MeMO-Pad-Smart...o+pad+smart+10

i have this and i am very happy with it.

Another for $250 is lenovo s6000 which is pretty new to market but is good one for the price.

Nook is not a good option unless you wanna go for a tablet which won't be supported by the company since they are going out of color tablet business.

But if your sole purpose is to read pdf and do no other entertainment it may be a good option. But make sure you get extra chargers and cases as soon it will be stopped and accessories will be hard to come by.

A few more options are that may go a little above budget would be

- ASUS TF300T - have seen for around $270 many times.
- Sony Tablet Last Gen which sometimes come for around $250-$270
- Toshiba Excite - many times seen around $275.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:10   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Since you have mentioned budget of $250, i suggest you look at ASUS Memo301 for $20 more.

http://www.amazon.com/MeMO-Pad-Smart...o+pad+smart+10

i have this and i am very happy with it.

Another for $250 is lenovo s6000 which is pretty new to market but is good one for the price.

Nook is not a good option unless you wanna go for a tablet which won't be supported by the company since they are going out of color tablet business.

But if your sole purpose is to read pdf and do no other entertainment it may be a good option. But make sure you get extra chargers and cases as soon it will be stopped and accessories will be hard to come by.

A few more options are that may go a little above budget would be

- ASUS TF300T - have seen for around $270 many times.
- Sony Tablet Last Gen which sometimes come for around $250-$270
- Toshiba Excite - many times seen around $275.
The memo pad is around 290$ with tax, was a bit more when i checked it 3 days back.

I think the memo pad should not be a problem, but will have to ask my dad since its nearing 300$ mark and with the current rupee value its a bit expensive.

Thanks a lot.
Old 17th August 2013, 10:02   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
The memo pad is around 290$ with tax, was a bit more when i checked it 3 days back.

I think the memo pad should not be a problem, but will have to ask my dad since its nearing 300$ mark and with the current rupee value its a bit expensive.

Thanks a lot.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...h_android.html

$270. No Tax, No Shipping Charge anywhere in USA. You are welcome.
Old 23rd August 2013, 21:48   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...h_android.html

$270. No Tax, No Shipping Charge anywhere in USA. You are welcome.
There are some complaints, about screens getting cracked on this model. The Asus Transformer Infinity(TF700T) seems to be better on this count. Please do check out the reviews on the net.

BTW, does anyone on the forum, own 'Asus Transformer Infinity'? Please do share your first hand experience.
Old 23rd August 2013, 23:02   #1295
BHPian

Any recommendations for a good quality ipad mini cover upto 1500?

Targus seems perfect, however difficult to find.

Last edited by vivek.ks : 23rd August 2013 at 23:04.
Old 24th August 2013, 03:20   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

There are some complaints, about screens getting cracked on this model. The Asus Transformer Infinity(TF700T) seems to be better on this count. Please do check out the reviews on the net.

BTW, does anyone on the forum, own 'Asus Transformer Infinity'? Please do share your first hand experience.
Wow! That is news. Can you please elaborate what cracked screens refer to? Unless it falls or step on,I don't think it will crack. It's glass so it will break if there is pressure or it hits something. I have owned it for more than 6 months.it is working smoothly.have rooted it too so no annoying ads.

On my recommendation, three other friends of mine bought it, as for the price it's a great tablet. One of that friend had lag and touch issue and he got it replaced
Pretty happy so far.

The only issue that has me worried is the tegra 3 processor as many owners have reported slow down after a year or so. It has been reported on nexus 7 a lot and hope it's not the same on me301.

Tf700 and me301 are in different category. Both have very small issues and some of them are covered in updates.

Infinity has more problems than memo since it was launched first and a new one is one the way. I had get a nexus 10 or something else at the price since new one is coming.

I had tf300t which is small brother of tf700 and its a great tablet too.each one has few issues, if you can live with it, it's good. It's being used in India without any issues yet.it is not rooted but has a few developer options disable for better experience.

Last edited by chevelle : 24th August 2013 at 03:24.
Old 24th August 2013, 03:42   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That is news. Can you please elaborate what cracked screens refer to?
The news is all over the net. In most of the cases, it happens in combination of a dock. But, it is more so evident with this particular model TF300T.

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-tf-300-a.html
Old 24th August 2013, 10:33   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The news is all over the net. In most of the cases, it happens in combination of a dock. But, it is more so evident with this particular model TF300T.

well, i showed him me301 which doesn't have the issue. i have me301 with me at all time. no issues so far as to picking it up and breaking. i don't use dock because i think its not available with me301t. so its a non issue for rambo.

my parents are using tf300t and they don't have this issue as i reported before. so this is very random and doesn't happen to everybody. i would say it is not an issue while buying it
Old 24th August 2013, 11:36   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I've been using one for some time now. I haven't faced this problem. However, just to be preventive, I'll undock and store from now on rather than just folding it away.
Old 26th August 2013, 09:43   #1300
BANNED

I am looking for a tablet upto Rs. 10000. It's going to be used mostly for browsing. May be some simple games. Camera etc doesn't matter at all - I don't even care if there is a camera. It should be smooth, well built and warranty/customer service should be very good. It should be able to connect by Wi-Fi to my a hotspot created by a laptop in the same home. Reliance USB Netconnect+ support would be great but not absolutely necessary. OS or OS version doesn't matter. What are my options?

Last edited by carboy : 26th August 2013 at 09:45.
Old 26th August 2013, 11:24   #1301
Team-BHP Support

How much is the lowest spec Nexus nowadays ? If that is within the budget, there is not better tab in the market
Old 26th August 2013, 12:09   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for a tablet upto Rs. 10000. It's going to be used mostly for browsing. May be some simple games. Camera etc doesn't matter at all - I don't even care if there is a camera. It should be smooth, well built and warranty/customer service should be very good. It should be able to connect by Wi-Fi to my a hotspot created by a laptop in the same home. Reliance USB Netconnect+ support would be great but not absolutely necessary. OS or OS version doesn't matter. What are my options?
If the OS does not matter, then a pre-owned playbook will come well within your budget and even save you a couple of grands.
This one will be without 3G, by the way.

Unfortunately the browser that comes with the playbook is not that great (e.g. you cannot find text on the page).
The camera is decent and the OS is well put-together. There are plenty of games and the audio/ video quality is good.
It does have a very good battery life which other tablets in this price range can not provide.

Your other option is to look for a Tab 2 (now stopped) from the older stock. The one without 3G was around Rs. 8500 before it got sold off.

If none of these suit you, then the Karbonns/ MicroMaxes and others are always available.
Old 26th August 2013, 13:44   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was in similar stage few months ago and i found a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 @ 8500/- on HomeShop18. Does the job well. Has a decent battery. My main purpose is browsing, tbhp app, and a few other reading apps such as Pulse, Flipboard, news apps, SKYPE etc. I got the wifi only version.

The only downside so far i have found in it is its weight.

Source : http://www.homeshop18.com/samsung-ga...:16327/?pos=12

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 26th August 2013 at 14:04.
Old 26th August 2013, 13:52   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a tablet upto Rs. 10000. What are my options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How much is the lowest spec Nexus nowadays ?
Amazon.in has the Nexus listed at 11,999 (Link)
Old 26th August 2013, 14:06   #1305
Senior - BHPian

I have stayed away from the Tablet computer bandwagon thus far.
I now feel I should start looking at one. But then, the way I see it, a Windows based Laptop cannot be eliminated completely.
I am looking at consolidating my usage to just 2 devices - Tablet and Phone.

My job profile : Business Development. I travel extensively.
My Need :
- a tablet with a detachable keyboard.
- Microsoft office - excel, ppt, word.
- Outlook (not webmail).
- 10" screen size.
- 3G or not..doesn't matter much. I can make my phone a hotspot and use on WiFi.

The one that most suited this need was the Microsoft Surface Pro. But many reviews online did not really confirm that I could use it as a replacement to a laptop.

What other options do you think will suit my need?

I am on the lookout for suggestions/comments on this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 26th August 2013 at 14:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks