Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 09:45   #451
BHPian

Re: New hatchback below 6L OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Since you have been used to the space and have no issues with buying a Tata, shall I suggest the Indica Vista?

--Anoop
Thanks Anoop. Yes we are considering the Vista seriously too. The only other thing is the taxi image. Once while I was travelling on the chandni chowk junction towards Hinjewadi, I was in the left lane having joined from Paud road, a couple of people waiting at the junction waved to me because maybe they thought that it was a taxi. Just a thought. By the way I am going today morning to Pandit Auto to check out if any deals are going on and also to get an estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thanks Rehaan. After reading through the thread I have decided to do away with the thought - in any case I was very sceptical about putting huge ad stickers on my new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
@luvDriving :- I was in the exact situation [ 2003 Indica V2 DLS(sold 2013) & Largish Frame among others ] & picked up a VW Vento in Dec 2012.

Cheers & All the Best !
Thank you DieselDon. You are right - the Indica does get addictive and more so since I have had a good experience. Thigh support is also an important consideration. I also do want to stick to diesel. I will report my findings for today when I get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I would suggest to stick to diesel. After the Indica, the petrol prices would pinch you.
Thank you Blow Horn Ok. The price difference between diesel and petrol is a real worry. I am not really worried about after sales since I have a trusted garage as a fallback. I did consider the Figo but find it a tad low and well - it did not appeal to that extent. But still keeping it in mind.

Thanks again everyone. The search continues !
Old 27th July 2013, 13:38   #452
Senior - BHPian

If the price difference is a real worry, try the Vista TDi. I have one for more than 3 years and we have been very happy with the car. Our last choice where between Vista and Bolero, but I am glad that we picked up Vista because we do not really need an SUV and Vista have proved to be a comfortable car in the long run.

Coming from an Ambassador, this was the only car Dad and Mom found comfortable - the space and comfort of previous drives do spoil you to a certain extent.

I have heard the TDi making way for the new CR2 engine but not sure if it have hit the showrooms yet, but do keep this in mind and ask around when you go to the showroom.

One way to offset taxi image is not to go for white or silver color since most of the taxis are either white or silver.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 15:17   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you to really take a serious look at the new Micra Active if you plan to buy a petrol hatch or the Ford Figo ( for both petrol and diesel). Somehow I always found that the Figo literally blows away the Ritz in most areas.

A new Vista? Well if you can live with the same car again for another 5 years then surely go ahead. Otherwise don't see the point with so many other good options available.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 22:00   #454
BHPian

Hi,

First, I think you should calculate how much driving you are going to do. As far as I can see, a petrol car should do fine. The experts here can shed more light but as far as I know, if the running is less than 1000kms/month, petrol should be considered (please correct me if I am wrong here).

I would suggest the following keeping in mind you are considering a petrol car: Swift/Ritz/Wagon R.

I personally would recommend Ritz but you have already mentioned that looks might be an issue.

Also, I am not sure how time pressed you are but if there are any launches around the corner you should wait for it.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 23:44   #455
BHPian

Did a test drive of Micra active today and was blown away with the ease of driving ( very light steering input).
The power delivery was so so.. Although I visited Ford also, couldn't get a test drive of Figo

I think Micra actrive is a strong contender worth checking out
Old 28th July 2013, 12:19   #456
BHPian

Quote:
If the price difference is a real worry, try the Vista TDi.
--Anoop
Well we can stretch a bit and if we are going for the Vista we will go for the 90 Vx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I would suggest you to really take a serious look at the new Micra Active if you plan to buy a petrol hatch or the Ford Figo ( for both petrol and diesel).
Micra looks like a good choice but the lack of dealers in Pune and it being a less spacious car rules it out. The Figo as I said is in the list but again I am wary of the service factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

I would suggest the following keeping in mind you are considering a petrol car: Swift/Ritz/Wagon R.
My current average is around 900 km per month. Although if I begin taking it daily to my hinjewadi office then the running will shoot up to double of that - 1800 per month since I live about 30-33 km away.
Old 28th July 2013, 12:45   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

A new Vista? Well if you can live with the same car again for another 5 years then surely go ahead. Otherwise don't see the point with so many other good options available.
Mohit, other than the name, there is nothing in common between old and new Indica. The Vista is not just a new body shell over old Indica, it is totally different under the skin too.

I have two friends who have upgraded to Vista from their old Indicas after evaluating what the market had to offer and both of them do not feel that they are driving the same old car in a new skin. I have fair bit of experience with old Indica and from my experience, I fully concur with my friends views.

The Vista is a totally new car, please do not discount it just because it share the same name with old Indica

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 12:32   #458
BHPian

Quote:
The Vista is a totally new car, please do not discount it just because it share the same name with old Indica

--Anoop
Well I can vouch for that after visiting Pandit auto last Saturday.

Sorry for the late update but here is my experience.

We (my father-in-law, wife and myself) started off from home with a view to visit Pandit Auto on tilak road, Pune first and then visit Chowgule - the maruti dealership. I was quite apprehensive of reception at Pandit since my last visit because then the reception was very cold - no on approached us and we had returned empty handed.

But this time took us by complete surprise. We were welcomed and our intentions noted down - we wanted to explore the vista. Soon a SA, a Mr Prahlad Shirke approached us and made us comfortable at his desk. He explained in detail the features, specifications and costing of the Vista variations - 75PS Tdi and the 90PS Vx which we are interested to buy.

Then we had a tour of the car itself. It is indeed a completely new car - and the space - its h-u-g-e !! Additionally the Vx has most of the features loaded.
I am almost 6 feet and even with the driver seat pulled back the rear seat space is very good. The Vx comes with variable geometry turbocharger which, I was told, adds to the power and pickup.

As for costing they have a ongoing discount offer of 25k plus 3k corporate discount and 15k exchange bonus. The total OTR price is 6.88L including insurance, rto et al. We were offered a test ride but we were short on time and hence left with a promise of the car being available to us anytime we wanted - it will be delivered to our house for a test ride, accompanied by the valuator who will evaluate our current car and suggest a selling price. Mr Shirke also introduced us to the SBI guy sitting in the showroom who explained the loan factor.

After this we went to the Chowgule showroom. Equally good reception and we were sitting with the SA - Mr Omble. We explained that we were interested in the swift but also wanted to look at other models. He explained the various features and specification for the Swift and led us to a new Swift RS standing in the showroom. It is really an amazing looker and its looks are enhanced by the RS kit. The kit costs 20k.

No offers other than corporate discount. Coffee arrived in due course and we were told that since there were no real challengers to the Swift, it did not have any discounts.

After the Vista, the marutis disappointed on the space front but made up on the looks. We were shown the Swift, Ritz, Dzire and even an Ertiga on which all fitting work was being done. The Ritz appealed to me more than the Swift and Dzire less than the Swift.

In terms of pure value for money - the Vista wins hands down. The SA in the maruti showroom was honest enough to admit that the Vista was an excellent car and it suffered mainly due to the taxi image.

That is it for now. Test drive report will be updated soon. Though we are quite sold on the Vista, I think the Beat and Sail should also be given a look.
Old 30th July 2013, 13:50   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
That is it for now. Test drive report will be updated soon. Though we are quite sold on the Vista, I think the Beat and Sail should also be given a look.
Effects of slowing sales perhaps ? At least the customers stands to gain. I believe the swift will also carry some discounts. Their numbers are also under pressure and if you haggle, you will get discount. You can also save on Vista by making sure you get proper numbers for insurance/registration and handling charges. Insist on taking care of the insurance and registration and see how the numbers come down. These are the usual margin points which are built up in the on road prices.
Do update once you go through the choices. Good luck.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 14:02   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Effects of slowing sales perhaps ?
Yes I forgot to mention that the Tata showroom was empty save for us while the maruti showroom was almost empty when we got there but gradually it filled up and no SA was free by the time we left.

Another query that I have - the IDV of my car as per the insurance papers is 1.3L while the tata guy has said that they can offer a max of 60k for exchange.

So I think its worthwhile to sell it off outside and then go for the new one - any advise on this front ? Also I might mention that it is a 2003 make with 1lakh + kms done and I am the second owner. The car is in good running condition with no major/minor accidents till date, save for a scrap with a three-wheeler tempo who brushed the bumper when he overtook me from the left side to make a U turn to the right.
Old 30th July 2013, 14:38   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offers other than corporate discount. Coffee arrived in due course and we were told that since there were no real challengers to the Swift, it did not have any discounts.
This is not true. At Bangalore, they are running upto 35K discount on the Swift. 15K cash discount + 15K Exchange bonus + 5k corporate discount. This is for Swift Diesel. I do not know for petrol variants.
Old 30th July 2013, 14:59   #462
Senior - BHPian

Sail is a good contender, but Beat is very small compared to all the other choices. It is much smaller than swift, so I think you can give it a pass.

The Vista 90 PS Vx is a good choice - try to haggle for more discounts for Vista, and please do not buy that horrible body kit. If you have NCB on your current policy, sell the car, get a NCB certificate from the current insurer and use that to bring down the insurance cost of your new car. Before you meet the valuator for your car, show your car to some use car dealers and get the price quote - this will usually be on lower side but still, will give you a rough idea of the current market value.

Doing registration by yourself is another sure shot way to save some more cash, and the process is almost hassle free. If you do not want to get it done all by yourself, see if you can find some agent to get it done, which will still work out to be cheaper.

Waiting for the TD reports now

PS: Since you are not done visiting different show rooms, see if you can take a look at the Punto also - even if you do not plan to buy it. I have heard there are still few 2012 models left which can be yours for 4.99L.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 12:31   #463
BHPian

The update is that Pandit auto SA and valuator visited my home yesterday. They had brought along a red Vista for the TD. Incidentally they could not co-ordinate and arrived separately. The recent heavy rains have created enough potholes to successfully test the shock absorption and seating comfort on bad roads. The re-tuned suspension shows effect and the ride and handling are a lot better.
Gear shifting is very less due to the torque available and NVH levels are really low for a tata diesel engine. I mean I am accustomed to my DLS where the engine noise is enough to not warrant any use of the horn. This was a sore point in the earlier versions and I am pleased that it has been rectified. Power delivery is awesome. I was already sold on the space front in the showroom visit and the TD sort of finalized it.

Now over to the valuation portion - the valuator posted a price of 60k ! On the IDV of 1.3L ! We told him that we are getting an outside customer at 1.3L. Then the SA jumped in and told us that just for us he will increase the exchange bonus to 30k and the exchange price to 70k to make a total of 1L. Even if we still wanted to go with outside customer then he said that send the customer to us and sell your vehicle through us. I dont know how does it help the showroom in any way. We are now debating how to move ahead - sell the car outside (which may or may not fetch 1L) or take the offer of 1L from Pandit.

@Anoop : thanks for the NCB tip. I did look at the Punto but very skeptical on FIAT A##.
Old 31st July 2013, 15:37   #464
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know how does it help the showroom in any way. We are now debating how to move ahead - sell the car outside (which may or may not fetch 1L) or take the offer of 1L from Pandit.
I think you are reaching the obvious conclusion on the brand. Vista is indeed an extremely VFM preposition.
For the existing car, as long as you get the same 1.3L and the buyer is also OK with this sort of arrangement (to go through the dealership), I suggest you take this route. Go through the dealership as you will have somebody else taking headache of processing and there would be a guarantee attachd with the transfer process too. No headaches for future. But please make sure you get perfect 1.3L on your hands and the present buyer is OK with this arrangement. Also make sure there are no processing fees charged for this sale by the dealership. If you have bluffed about having a buyer at 1.3L, haggle and settle at 1.1 or so and go ahead with the purchase.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:30   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am now in the market for a new hatchback
Slightly off-topic: Since you've driven a hatch for 7 years and have a positive first hand experience of buying & using a second hand car, I'm curious as to why you are not considering an upgrade to a pre-owned sedan. Is it because of parking constraints?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks