Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 13:33   #556
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I am looking out for new car to replace my Spark which has completed 6 years and 77K km.
My vote would go out for the Punto 90 HP any day. And with Fiat already increasing their dedicated dealer and service centre footprint across the country there is not much reason to worry.
The Punto is the benchmark in terms of driving dynamics in the B2 segment. Period.

Since I did not notice the Swift in your list, you might also consider the Swift Zdi. My only grouse with the swift is that the legroom in the rear leaves a lot to be desired. Swift has a better initial pull as compared to the Punto and the Zdi is also loaded with all safety features.

GT Tsi is a great second car to own. IMO. :-)
Baddychat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 13:38   #557
BHPian

Hi everyone. Am absolutely new here, this is my first post, so I would appreciate all the help that I can get.
I have a wagon R and I am looking to upgrade. Main concerns remain after-sales, maintenance costs, ease of handling, power and fuel efficiency. Have managed to narrow down to the Swift zxi and the i20 sportz, though I have also booked for a test drive of the grand i10 before adding/striking it off the list .
I am not looking at exchanging the 2005 wagon R with the dealer (my parents wish to keep it for their own use, to travel within a radius of 5km). The car has served me well, and though 8-years old, still gives me a FE of 12.5 in city with AC . I also push it to close to 100kmph often and though the steering does feel shaky, the car stays in control.

My concern with the two shortlisted models is the repeated and numerous complaints regarding the swift's braking (there are threads on Maruti upgrading the ECU software but any idea whether the newer cars still have the problem or not?) and the i20's poor handling post 70kmph. I am not considering anything from GM since my husband already has a UVA and though the car itself is good enough, i would not touch the company with a bargepole wrt service.
The budget (most important): 5-5.5 lakhs. Any suggestions/advice most welcome, but it is important for me to decide soon.
uthra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 15:20   #558
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthra View Post
Have managed to narrow down to the Swift zxi and the i20 sportz, though I have also booked for a test drive of the grand i10 before adding/striking it off the list .

The budget (most important): 5-5.5 lakhs. Any suggestions/advice most welcome, but it is important for me to decide soon.
Hello Uthra,

Can you please tell the daily drive (in kms) that you'll be using the car?! Since I see you have short listed both cars in petrol I don't think you'll be driving more than 50 kms a day. If that is it then go for the petrol engine else choose a diesel engine.

Regarding the Swift vs i20 vs Grand i10, I can say go for the Swift ZXi as it would be around 6L OTR and has all the bells and whistles a owner needs. The K-Series engine is a hoot to drive and handling is always great so no need to worry. The A.S.S is nothing to worry also.

For the i20 the handling is a little vague at high speeds and that is all I can say as I have no idea about this car with a petrol engine.

Anurag.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:46   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Main concerns remain after-sales, maintenance costs, ease of handling, power and fuel efficiency. Have managed to narrow down to the Swift zxi and the i20 sportz, though I have also booked for a test drive of the grand i10 before adding/striking it off the list
You might want to check Brio as well. It's a peppy car, offers decent fuel efficiency, and has the reliability of a Honda.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 15:47   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Ahmad bhai,

Didn't even consider the Fiat as its A.S.S is nothing to write home about. Loved the VW Polo but same reason had to leave it.

It may not be a lateral upgrade but it is a decent upgrade considering the features etc. Since I will be using the car alone 95% of its time the space doesn't matter much. I need a efficient mile cruncher with a peaceful A.S.S. The Ritz ZDi and Swift ZDi were the only that ticks all my requirements but since I have been driving the Ritz for 100000 kms I'm bored so didn't want a repeat. So chose the Swift ZDi. That's all.

Regards,
Anurag.
Well, then it looks sorted for you. Go for the Swift . Sure the Fiat A.S.S. is a nightmare, and VW people have their nose in the sky.
We were also looking at a frugal diesel some time back, but because we preferred efficiency more, we opted for Beat D LT(O) (Got lucky actually, managed to find a fresh vehicle 20k on odo, for 4.8 lakhs flat). The legroom at the back in Beat is comparable to that of the Swift, and it is giving 18-20 kmpl with 40% AC in city! :clap.
Swift was considered, but was a bit expensive considering the space it offered. Ritz and Figo were the default plan B.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:17   #561
BHPian

Quote:
I have a wagon R and I am looking to upgrade. Main concerns remain after-sales, maintenance costs, ease of handling, power and fuel efficiency. Have managed to narrow down to the Swift zxi and the i20 sportz,

My concern with the two shortlisted models is the repeated and numerous complaints regarding the swift's braking (there are threads on Maruti upgrading the ECU software but any idea whether the newer cars still have the problem or not?) and the i20's poor handling post 70kmph. I am not considering anything from GM since my husband already has a UVA and though the car itself is good enough, i would not touch the company with a bargepole wrt service.
The complaints regarding the Swift's braking issue is mostly with the models without ABS i.e.LXi,VXi so you shouldn't worry about it if you're considering the ZXi.The i20's vague steering has been talked about at lengths and having driven it,I can vouch for its authenticity.
Coming back to your main question,I think you should look at the Brio,it fulfills all the requirements you mentioned as it has a peppy and frugal engine,and Honda has very good after sales service.Also,I don't think you would be able to get the Swift ZXi or the i20 Sportz within the budget you mentioned.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:26   #562
BHPian

thanks anurag. I am getting sxift zxi for 6.1 OTR in delhi. My daily driving will be approx. 50-55km, in city, so i am not too keen on diesel.
brij: I was thinking of brio but somehow it is difficult for me to see brio as an upgrade to wagon R! (purely personal opinion, this). Amaze could have been an option but then again, parking is a nightmare both at home and across the city! Also, we plan to upgrade to a compact SUV in a couple of years (trading in the UVA for that), so the hubby's thinking is that one of the cars should be a smaller one in the city (I agree).
Ahmed bhai: I agree, Maruti's ASS and easy maintenance) does become a big advantage, given that I generally have to be out at all kinds of random hours (blame the world of shift duties :( )
My biggest concern, as I said before, are the brakes in Swift. Specifically, hard or poor braking with half-clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. Does someone have any info on that particular issue?
PS: I took a TD of Swift today, but it was diesel (the showroom, Competent Automobiles, didnt have a single Swift petrol on the premises). Therefore, can't say much about the power or like stuff vis-a-vis petrol but the interiors felt good, the steering responsive and strong, the suspension sturdy and the brakes working fine. The only issue was a little cabin noise, which the SA said was because of the AC blower at full speed . Also, there are no freebies -- no dealer discount, no accessories, nothing. Only a 15k loyalty bonus.
There were some threads talking of the figo...any suggestions?

Marauder: the budget i mentioned was exclusive of the 80k-1 lakh I will be getting from my parents for the Wagon R! so that gives me a bit of leeway in stretching my purse strings!!!

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th September 2013 at 18:55. Reason: Posts merged
Old 5th September 2013, 17:38   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone. Am absolutely new here, this is my first post, so I would appreciate all the help that I can get.
I have a wagon R and I am looking to upgrade. Main concerns remain after-sales, maintenance costs, ease of handling, power and fuel efficiency. Have managed to narrow down to the Swift zxi and the i20 sportz, though I have also booked for a test drive of the grand i10 before adding/striking it off the list .
I am not looking at exchanging the 2005 wagon R with the dealer (my parents wish to keep it for their own use, to travel within a radius of 5km). The car has served me well, and though 8-years old, still gives me a FE of 12.5 in city with AC . I also push it to close to 100kmph often and though the steering does feel shaky, the car stays in control.

I have a 1st generation Swift VDI. While its brakes are rather bad, you quickly get used to them and use engine braking quite a bit. I wouldn't necessarily say its a deal breaker. My uncle has a Brio, its peppy and returns good fuel consumption figures as long as its being driven with a light foot. You could also consider the Ritz as its similar to the Swift but is cheaper. You could get a diesel Ritz as it too returns great mileage figures! If you like styling of I20 and need the rear space it can be considered. While the handling is pudgy it may not be as bad as you feel, do test drive these cars and then decide.
Old 5th September 2013, 18:52   #564
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Also,I don't think you would be able to get the Swift ZXi or the i20 Sportz within the budget you mentioned.
The Ex-showroom price for the Swift ZXi is around 5.7 L so the OTR would be between 6.3 - 6.5L after discounts and all the bonuses Maruti offers.

Quote:
thanks anurag. I am getting sxift zxi for 6.1 OTR in delhi. My daily driving will be approx. 50-55km, in city, so i am not too keen on diesel.
That is a cool OTR price for which I strongly advise to go with the ZXI as it is absolute VFM with all features and safety equipments.

Quote:
Ahmed bhai: I agree, Maruti's ASS and easy maintenance) does become a big advantage, given that I generally have to be out at all kinds of random hours (blame the world of shift duties)
Maruti's ASC rocks without a doubt when coming to after sales and service be it time or lace. These guys are available in all odd areas of the city with decent man power to solve issues and be it night shift or early morning. This is a big thumbs up for Maruti.

Quote:
My biggest concern, as I said before, are the brakes in Swift. Specifically, hard or poor braking with half-clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. Does someone have any info on that particular issue?
If you look in for the ZXi then the braking problem you are talking is solved naturally. If it is a VXi then you can use engine braking in addition to the normal brakes to help you stop better. I drive a Ritz VDi that has no ABS and EBD but still I am used to it and use both engine braking and the normal brakes for my stopping duties.

Quote:
PS: I took a TD of Swift today, but it was diesel (the showroom, Competent Automobiles, didn't have a single Swift petrol on the premises). Therefore, can't say much about the power or like stuff vis-a-vis petrol but the interiors felt good, the steering responsive and strong, the suspension sturdy and the brakes working fine. The only issue was a little cabin noise, which the SA said was because of the AC blower at full speed.
The in-availability of the Swift P itself speaks of the diesel engine and how favourite it is to us Indians. Jokes apart try another dealer and TD it vis-a-vis Ritz P also. I recommend the Ritz too and I have been driving it since Dec, 2010 and 100000 kms (but mine is a diesel engine)

Quote:
There were some threads talking of the figo...any suggestions?
Figo is a under-stated car that would also suit your requirements. Get a TD of this done and you could as well go for Titanium model. It has a frugal engine and best in class handling too. I have no idea of it's A.S.S. Figo owners here would help you out.

Happy deciding & Purchasing.

Cheers,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th September 2013 at 18:53.
Old 5th September 2013, 19:11   #565
BHPian

thanks anurag...i think i will look out for another TD with a petrol version before deciding. Surprisingly, I had booked a request for TD with Maruti on their website a couple of days ago but there has been no response so far. The one I did today was courtesy the showroom only. On the other hand, Hyndai already have called up, forwarded the request to the nearest dealer, who in turn have called up and fixed a time to come to my home. Am impressed.
As for the Ritz, the only problem is my desire to "upgrade" from a Wagon R!!!! LOL...and ritz somehow doesnt give me the same feeling (just like Brio). Else I would happily trade-in for another Waggie, given that I feel so at home in it I can virtually drive it half asleep (and not bang into anyone!)
I know diesel is the in-thing but can't see myself spending close to 1.5 lakhs extra given my city running. Let's see, will decide hopefully within this week and let you know!
Old 5th September 2013, 19:23   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Hey uthra, first of all a big hello and a welcome to this forum. I am not too much of a veteran here though :-)

I think someone has replied to your query but there are no issues with the braking on the top end model of the swift.
Coming back to compare the swift and the i20, i don't think the latter holds a candle in front of the swift in terms of driving dynamics. Both have 1.2 L engines and the one on the swift is noticeably peppier and efficient. Hyundai's 1.2L Kappa unit does best on the i10 and from whatever personal experiences I have, the unit does feel under powered on the i20.
The swift zxi has Airbags/EBS et al has climate control but the i20 asta should have more toys as part of its feature list.
Since you drive 50-55 kms a day I would strongly recommend the swift for better driver seat comfort et al. Great car to drive always.

You have mentioned somewhere that you do not think the Brio as a n upgrade, yeah I agree not in terms of size, but do TD the car once. Great to drive around in the city IMO.
Old 5th September 2013, 21:05   #567
BANNED

Quote:
As for the Ritz, the only problem is my desire to "upgrade" from a Wagon R!!!! LOL...and ritz somehow doesnt give me the same feeling (just like Brio). Else I would happily trade-in for another Waggie, given that I feel so at home in it I can virtually drive it half asleep (and not bang into anyone!)
I know diesel is the in-thing but can't see myself spending close to 1.5 lakhs extra given my city running. Let's see, will decide hopefully within this week and let you know!
Half-Sleep driving is risky for other road users so be fully awake and drive!

Regarding your point on the Ritz, I agree and I am in the same situation as I am in the market to replace my 100000 kms covered Ritz VDi. Had short listed the Swift ZDi; Ritz ZDi and Liva D. Ruled out the Liva for it's interiors, Ritz was ruled out as I don't want a repeat. So my choice now is the Swift ZDi and this is what I am buying. Soon the car will be booked and formalities will start. Swift is a very good car from Maruti and it takes the bench mark higher with the 1.3L DDiS engine.

If you plan to keep the car long and drive it daily for 50+ kms it would make sense for a diesel as it would damage your pocket less in the long run and would get the extra 1.5L you spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Coming back to compare the swift and the i20, i don't think the latter holds a candle in front of the swift in terms of driving dynamics. Both have 1.2 L engines and the one on the swift is noticeably peppier and efficient. Hyundai's 1.2L Kappa unit does best on the i10 and from whatever personal experiences I have, the unit does feel under powered on the i20.
The Kappa engine is best suited for the i10 as it is small and light so the engine feel peppy and revv-happy but the i20 being heavy the engine doesn't do justice to the car and feels slow.

Anurag.
Old 5th September 2013, 21:15   #568
BHPian

Quote:
The Ex-showroom price for the Swift ZXi is around 5.7 L so the OTR would be between 6.3 - 6.5L after discounts and all the bonuses Maruti offers.
Yes,I know and that is the reason why I wrote that they may be out of budget as in the first post it was mentioned-
Quote:
The budget (most important): 5-5.5 lakhs..
But,later it was cleared up by her
Quote:
Marauder: the budget i mentioned was exclusive of the 80k-1 lakh I will be getting from my parents for the Wagon R! so that gives me a bit of leeway in stretching my purse strings!!!
]

Last edited by Marauder : 5th September 2013 at 21:16.
Old 6th September 2013, 17:13   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Half-Sleep driving is risky for other road users so be fully awake and drive!

Anurag.
It was a manner of speech!!!

I am almost on the verge of finalising the swift. Only, can someone suggest if there are any discounts anywhere being provided on the model? My SA isn't going beyond the 15k loyalty bonus!

Also, I was planning to upgrade from the stock 165/80 14" tyres that come with the vxi, but the zxi i was told comes with 15" alloys (185/65). Not sure if they need an upgrade wrt to size at least. Any suggestions?
Old 6th September 2013, 21:07   #570
BANNED

Quote:

It was a manner of speech!!!

I am almost on the verge of finalising the swift. Only, can someone suggest if there are any discounts anywhere being provided on the model? My SA isn't going beyond the 15k loyalty bonus!

Also, I was planning to upgrade from the stock 165/80 14" tyres that come with the vxi, but the zxi i was told comes with 15" alloys (185/65). Not sure if they need an upgrade wrt to size at least. Any suggestions?
Discounts are not in for the Swift D. I guess there must be some for Petrol variant. Try another dealer also for the Swift discounts etc.

Are you buying the VXI or ZXi?

If your buying VXI then upgrade the tyres to what you get on ZXi model. No doubt in it. Get this done before delivery.

No if you are going for ZXi, nothing to worry. No upgrade needed.

I have also finalised the Swift. I'm going for Torque Blue Swift ZDi.

Anurag.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks