Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 08:19   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto (Diesel or petrol) or i10 grand, help me make a decision

+1 to DRIV3R.

If answer to any of the question is No or maybe then go for i10 grand. If all the answers are yes, then head straight to the Fiat showroom, pocket that cool 1L discount and bring home the Punto MJD provided your running actually calls for a Diesel car.

Punto decision will be heart based mostly but this time it gives the head also something to work about (read the massive discounts).
Old 24th December 2013, 08:20   #692
Senior - BHPian

If you drive mostly in the cities, love the extra features, practicality, space, cost of ownership and resale value, go in for the i10 Grand. It will not disappoint.

Drive the 90hp Punto, and then wonder whether you appreciate the dynamics, build and looks of the Fiat. Hopefully it should change your "heart says...head says.." statement, the other way around and make things a little easier. If not for you, it will please the rest of us on this forum

Fiat is getting better in terms of A.S.S. but don't ever expect it to be in the same league as Hyundai any time soon. To me, even the 90hp version of the Punto feels underpowered and might later require a remap. The gearbox in the Punto will annoy you if you are an enthusiast since not only does it feel mushy and hard but knowing that the stupid ratios are sapping 0-100 times, is sad and if you conclude that you need a petrol and not a diesel, based on usage patterns, then please give the Punto a miss.

Try getting a version equipped with safety features like ABS and Airbags (EBD would be nice too)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th December 2013 at 08:22.
Old 24th December 2013, 08:36   #693
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaka1 View Post
I TDed Punto diesel and Petrol yesterday. The diesel version is a BIRD. Solid build and stability. But I felt petrol version is a bit underpowered given its weight (1120 Kg) nearly as innvova and its puny 1.2 lt engine. But some of the earlier T-BHP reviews say that even it's petrol variant is not so bad after all.

So, if anybody can please advice and with thoughts on the long term ownership experience of PUNTO (Diesel or Petrol), it'll be of great help for me in making a final decision.

Head is with Punto, heart is with i10 - that's my present condition.
I would follow my head here - Go for the Punto MJD. Reliable, sturdy & stable, built like a tank and it feels like it's glued to the ground on the move. Very impressive car and looks beautiful in red.

i10 Grand could be a good car but it doesn't appeal me at all.

The cars compared here are no comparison for me. It's an eyes closed Punto MJD (75 HP or 90HP depends on your budget and offers given by Fiat).

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 24th December 2013 at 08:38.
Old 24th December 2013, 09:08   #694
BHPian

I have been in the same situation not long ago. The hunt went on for nearly 6-8 months to bring home the safest (for family) as well as Fun to Drive (myself) vehicle which my budget permitted. I had TD'ed most of the available hatch-backs coupled with a bunch of Sedans too but was always inclined towards a hatch. I eventually picked the Punto Sports variant over arch-rivals such as Swift, Polo, i20, i10 Grand, Chevy Beat, Ford Figo, Honda Brio & it's very own elder sibling, Linea MJD (there were many more cars which were TD'ed but that's irrelevant here).

What Shone in case of the FIAT was the characteristic of the car, the way it handled & of course, the beautiful steering which is so well connected to the soul. From the moment you step in to point you alight, there is this sense of security you're surrounded with. May be this is purely fictional & I'm incorrigibly tainted with all those Punto reviews I have read on this forum but never felt the same way in any of the other cars which were evaluated. The Koreans, for instance (no offence to existing owners) have an absolutely perplexed steering (i20) though it's relatively better in i10 Grand (only relatively, light years away from FIAT/FORD's) & a soft suspension - that didn't cut well with me. I know, majority buys these cars for the very same reason which I detest.

Please do TD the 90HP variant but don't judge this car (Punto) based on a mere 10 mins drive - the only thing you did notice in that case would be the long clutch play & the imprecise gear shift. Request the dealer for longer run & put it through varied conditions (highway, broken roads & no-roads).

Off-Topic : If only my parking logistics had worked, I would have bought the Linea T-Jet - FE, After-Sales, Quality of interiors, niggles & everything else be damned
Old 24th December 2013, 10:06   #695
BHPian

My 2009 Punto MJD is close to 75k Kms and its still going great guns.
If you
- want a good steering response,
- a good handler,
- take the highways regularly
Go for the Punto MJD with your eyes closed.

The 1L plus the exchange benefit just sweetens the deal.

Edit - Don't worry about the spare costs or After Sales Service. They are much better than what they were few years ago.

Last edited by gods-envy : 24th December 2013 at 10:08.
Old 24th December 2013, 10:13   #696
BHPian

Had you mentioned about the usage pattern,more precise view can be shared with you. But in present scenario, if your usage is high and frequent highway use, go for Punto Diesel (preferably 90HP) otherwise pick Grand i10 petrol. IMO, Grand i10 diesel is good only for people with strictly high city usage, otherwise there are better diesel cars around.
Old 24th December 2013, 10:31   #697
Senior - BHPian

If it's a city car, go for the i10. If you're going to be hitting the highways often, it's the Punto all the way.

Also keep in mind a Punto refresh is expected to be launched early next year, so this could affect the re-sale further.

If you're keen on Petrol, also check out the Punto 1.4L. It's isn't very fast, but it's quite a lot of fun with a super engine note.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 10:44   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Also keep in mind a Punto refresh is expected to be launched early next year, so this could affect the re-sale further.
doubt if that would happen with FIAT choosing to drop Punto of their list in Europe. Add to it the fact no face-lifted model of Punto has been consistently spotted being road tested but yes, the Linea face-life is expected sometimes early next year. As for the Punto, I think it will remain the same up until some more time to come.
Old 24th December 2013, 11:14   #699
BHPian

The new Grand i10 is a lot more improved version of the earlier i10. I would suggest go ahead and buy a Grand i10. With Grand i10 you can be assured of the after sale service, availability of spares. Fiat India may be working hard to improve their after sale service but they still have a long way to go.

I have met many Punto owners who swear by the car, but after sales is something that is always a concern with them.

If you want decent drivability with complete peace of mind then Hyundai Grand is a perfect choice. Moreover, it is new and no upgrade is expected in near future. This will enable you to have a value for money situation. While in case of Punto, a recent upgrade may result in poor after sale and spare part issues.
Old 24th December 2013, 12:37   #700
BHPian

Quote:
I TDed Punto diesel and Petrol yesterday. The diesel version is a BIRD. Solid build and stability. .....

......... I did a TD of i10 grand (diesel) today... and BOYYYYY... it's a beauty I am totally floored by its drivability and practicality....
salaka1, I think if you like the ride quality of grand so much then its better to stick with that option rather than repenting the decision later. Certainly, it has to be your best personal choice.

Just a FYI, Punto and i10 falls into the extreme end of spectrum when it come to handling, Punto being positive and i10 being negative.
Old 24th December 2013, 14:06   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
doubt if that would happen with FIAT choosing to drop Punto of their list in Europe. Add to it the fact no face-lifted model of Punto has been consistently spotted being road tested but yes, the Linea face-life is expected sometimes early next year. As for the Punto, I think it will remain the same up until some more time to come.
Fiat dropping the Punto from Europe will not affect India. When the Grande Punto was launched here, Europe already had the Evo, so Fiat still has a few refresh cards to play before it's phased out here...
Old 25th December 2013, 02:18   #702

Note from Support: Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post

I had a punto active , the base variant , in its petrol avatar , was my first car
The punto is a car that you will admire everyday . the Grand is a car that you would forget as days pass by .
Gautam: Yes, The car looks stunning. Admire Punto everyday... Yes Perhaps.

Thanks for the reply. BTW, how's the performance of the petrol variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Salaka1
Have you test driven Punto 1.4 lr 90 bhp (I hope it is available) version? Also compare rear seat ride quality if you are family of 4 and take decision.
Punto 1.2 is underpowered.
The Punto owners shall definitely help you here.
I haven't driven the 90 HP variant. It is available in the showroom but no test car available. Also the important factor is that it is out of my budget. I TD ed the Diesel Emotion and the 1.2 ltr Active variants only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
You haven't mentioned your usage pattern without which it's hard to suggest.

However, I think it is a battle between reliability versus FTD. But you need to go for 90HP version for the fun factor.

Punto is a very safe and stable car. It will inspire you to push it on highways. So if your usage includes highway use then Punto would be the right choice.

Good luck!
My usage is limited mostly to the highways. City driving will be very very less. So the monthly average could be around 500 Km or less. The 90 HP version is out of my reach and budget. I am considering Punto 1.3 MJD dynamic (or 1.2 Emotion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Like to "drive"?
Like a solid thud everytime you close the door, and feel cocooned into the cabin?
Enjoy good ride quality?
Like to connect with your car?
Like the little European quirks?
Do not mind for the random niggle that *might* crop up?
Do not mind being asked, why the FIAT?
Do not mind to take pains to do some ground work on which After Sales outlet to visit?
Take the highways often?
Are you more of an enthusiast?
The answer is a big YES for all the questions above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
If you are the kind of guy who always likes to play it safe, and happy with a smaller car, with lesser appeal, and spend most of the time within the city, go for the Grand i10.
No, the city driving will be very very less.

The discounts and offers is for a very limited period. So the biggest dilemma is ... which car? 1.3 MJD or 1.2 Petrol? GTO reviews say1.3 MJD lacks punch and 1.2 Ltr is an under-performer with mileage between 9-11 kmpl. So the confusion still prevails....!
What exactly does the term 'lacks punch' mean? Is it about pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I would go with Punto 90 HP if I get a sweet deal on it. Punto 90 HP and Grand i 10 are worlds apart.

If you are person who likes the gizmos and looks, Grand i10.
If you are an enthusiast, there is no looking beyond Punto 90 HP.

What is the primary usage ? CITY in bumper to bumper traffic., CITY thru good expressways, or HIGHWAYS ?
Punto 90 HP is completly out of my budget range. Even 1.3 mjd emotion is far away from my limit. The 1.3 Dynamic or 1.2 ltr top-end versions fits my requirements (and the budget) perfectly. Just confused between these two now. Is 1.2 really such an under performer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
@Salaka1, You won't regret buying a Punto, till date I haven't. I have driven and have been a passenger in many cars, but I come back looking even more fondly at my Punto. It's that good (it's not just my biased opinion, many of my friends who own xyz hatchbacks or sedans have grudgingly acknowledged that my car is better). But ultimately, the decision is down to you and what kind of a person you are. If you are looking for a little more than a 'car', it has to be a Fiat. The nightmarish after sales service experience people usually associate with Fiat, in my case at least, turned out to be grossly exaggerated.

PS- It's a very common thing to hear people say, "Heart says Punto, head says XYZ". Your statement, by virtue of it being different, is interesting.
Chakravarthy: which Punto version do you own? Is it 1.3 MJD or 1.2 Ltr? GTO review says it lacks punch (though I didn't understand what that means) Is there a ownership review thread available for 1.3 MJD dynamic and 1.2 Ltr versions separately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
It's a very common thing to hear people say, "Heart says Punto, head says XYZ". Your statement, by virtue of it being different, is interesting.
Yes... but now even that has changed. The head is with petrol version and the heart is with diesel version.
Old 25th December 2013, 08:28   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

which Punto version do you own? Is it 1.3 MJD or 1.2 Ltr? GTO review says it lacks punch (though I didn't understand what that means) Is there a ownership review thread available for 1.3 MJD dynamic and 1.2 Ltr versions separately?

Yes... but now even that has changed. The head is with petrol version and the heart is with diesel version.

Hi Salaka.

3 months back, I purchased a Punto. It is a MJD dynamic version. I have an ownership thread here where I have detailed the purchase decision process too.

Unlike most people who say buying s Punto is a case of heart over head, in my case it was as much head as it was heart.

If you are keen on buying a Punto, I insist you either buy the 1.4 petrol or in case of diesel, atleast the MJD dynamic. The reason being the all important ABS. The 1.2 versions don't have ABS and airbags( mjd dynamic doesn't have airbags, though ABS is present).

The 75 Hp punto I felt is better in traffic than the 90hp mjd. Where the 90hp shines is, on the highway. Over a period of time the 75 hp may feel that it lacks punch, but I believe the 'feel' of punch has also got a lot to do with masking the speed once the windows are rolled up. I must tell you out on the highway compared to other cars, in the Punto you need to look at the Speedo more to make you realize you are doing good speeds. Its composure and the way it shuts off the outside world, does really fool you into thinking that you are slower than you actually are.

Outright punch as in darting from a red signal to defeat everyone else to the next one, yes the Punto will fail. However for normal uses in traffic and out on the highway till 110-120 you won't really feel much lack of punch. I seriously believe you should not really be bothered about its capabilities beyond those speeds atleast on our roads.

Hope it helps.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 16:43   #704
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
My usage is limited mostly to the highways. City driving will be very very less. So the monthly average could be around 500 Km or less. The 90 HP version is out of my reach and budget. I am considering Punto 1.3 MJD dynamic (or 1.2 Emotion).

No, the city driving will be very very less.
What exactly does the term 'lacks punch' mean? Is it about pickup?

Punto 90 HP is completly out of my budget range. Even 1.3 mjd emotion is far away from my limit. The 1.3 Dynamic or 1.2 ltr top-end versions fits my requirements (and the budget) perfectly. Just confused between these two now. Is 1.2 really such an under performer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi Salaka.

If you are keen on buying a Punto, I insist you either buy the 1.4 petrol or in case of diesel, atleast the MJD dynamic. The reason being the all important ABS. The 1.2 versions don't have ABS and airbags( mjd dynamic doesn't have airbags, though ABS is present).

Hope it helps.
As suggested above, you should look at at east 1.4 Petrol or 1.3 MJD 75HP.

A strict no to 1.2 Petrol.

If you are so keen on 1.2 Petrol due to it mouth watering price , I would advise you to go with Grand i10 instead.

Quote:
Outright punch as in darting from a red signal to defeat everyone else to the next one, yes the Punto will fail. However for normal uses in traffic and out on the highway till 110-120 you won't really feel much lack of punch. I seriously believe you should not really be bothered about its capabilities beyond those speeds atleast on our roads.
Punch means how your cars progress in the initial speeds upto 60kmph after 100kmph. I think 1.3 MJD 75HP is very comfortable till 120 Kmph. (I own a Swift D 1.3Ltr 75HP). Any thing above 120Kmph, the engine starts sounding coarse.

Since you already in negotiations, what is the price they are quoting on PUNTO 90HP ?
Old 25th December 2013, 18:54   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You haven't mentioned all your requirements from your car. But since you are contemplating between a fun to drive Fiat and reliable and easy to own Hyundai, can I suggest a car that does both? The Ford Figo. Take a TD once and you might just find it as good as the Fiat if not better. At the same time its a lot more easier to own and maintain than the Fiat.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks