Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 16:24   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
I've shortlisted i20 crdi era, swift vdi and grand i10 sportz crdi.
There are many factors to stability in highways. One of them is the weight of the vehicle and width of the tyres. i20 wins this with a big margin followed by Swift and Grand. Swift though wins on the stable suspension front, followed by Grand. CC/torque wise there is no contest, the i20 1.4 90bhp engine will be first off the line in any situation. i20 also has a 295 litre boot space (Swift 230, Grand 255). Grand i10's engine is good enough as even Europeans have praised the engine for its smooth torque and silent performance. This 1.1 engine was made for i20's in Europe, so Grand which is 100+ kgs lighter should easily be fine in all gears. Because of its weight the i20 is the best built car inside out.

What works against i20 is the steering feel, it's light and doesn't give any feedback over different terrains and is of no fun in the turns with a slightly bouncy feel to struts. Grand i10 is far better with a sharper steering and gives good feedback of the road conditions to the palms. Swift of course feels faster as its engine is slightly more powerful than Grand. Swift's kerb weight is about 80-90kgs less than i20 so city torque for both will be about the same.

In conclusion if you want a practical city car for the occasional 4-5 people and luggage, i20>Grand>Swift. If you don't carry much luggage and don't bother for backseat space much and want a driver oriented vehicle Swift>Grand>i20.

Last edited by dark.knight : 29th April 2014 at 16:49.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 19:07   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
i20 also has a 295 litre boot space (Swift 230, Grand 255).
A small correction here. The Swift has a really miniscule 204 litre boot space (Review). No wonder why they do not even mention the boot space in their website.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 19:42   #813
BHPian

Quote:
There are many factors to stability in highways. One of them is the weight of the vehicle and width of the tyres. i20 wins this with a big margin followed by Swift and Grand. Swift though wins on the stable suspension front, followed by Grand. CC/torque wise there is no contest, the i20 1.4 90bhp engine will be first off the line in any situation. i20 also has a 295 litre boot space (Swift 230, Grand 255). Grand i10's engine is good enough as even Europeans have praised the engine for its smooth torque and silent performance. This 1.1 engine was made for i20's in Europe, so Grand which is 100+ kgs lighter should easily be fine in all gears. Because of its weight the i20 is the best built car inside out.

What works against i20 is the steering feel, it's light and doesn't give any feedback over different terrains and is of no fun in the turns with a slightly bouncy feel to struts. Grand i10 is far better with a sharper steering and gives good feedback of the road conditions to the palms. Swift of course feels faster as its engine is slightly more powerful than Grand. Swift's kerb weight is about 80-90kgs less than i20 so city torque for both will be about the same.

In conclusion if you want a practical city car for the occasional 4-5 people and luggage, i20>Grand>Swift. If you don't carry much luggage and don't bother for backseat space much and want a driver oriented vehicle Swift>Grand>i20.
I think I've all but finalized the Swift. Though I'm really taken up by the Grand's gizmos (rear vents!, push button start!!, auto folding mirrors!!!!) and the cheerful, funky cabin and the extra space for the same, nay lower price, than Swift, but I've been driving an underpowered i10 for the past six years and I don't want a repeat and regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
A small correction here. The Swift has a really miniscule 204 litre boot space (Review). No wonder why they do not even mention the boot space in their website.
Not only the smallest in size, but also with the highest loading lip.

Last edited by naru : 29th April 2014 at 19:55.
Old 29th April 2014, 20:37   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
A small correction here. The Swift has a really miniscule 204 litre boot space.
Much thanks for pointing it out, I actually knew its 204 but I got confused with the old shape luggage space. Glad you corrected it though. To increase the backseat legroom they completely shaved the boot space out in the new one. For a car of that length this capacity is a joke. The Getz I have is the same length and has a 290 litre space with big rear legroom. Completely agree.

Quote:
I think I've all but finalized the Swift. Though I'm really taken up by the Grand's gizmos (rear vents!, push button start!!
You could consider taking a TD of the Grand if you haven't yet, it surely may not be as underpowered as you feel. Those features mentioned really are useful, specially the vents in Delhi summers.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 20:41   #815
BHPian

I booked my Fiat Punto Active 1.3 MJD today. The current offer was ending today and the next one could have been better or worse, so didn't take a chance. Even the dealership was pushing to book the car today and hence, was able to negotiate further and got an on road price of 4.10 lakhs after exchanging my current car.

Have given White and Blue as my color choices, and will most likely go with the Blue!

Once done finalizing the color, will ask them for the VIN and the PDI!

To everyone who helped me with this, THANK YOU!
Abh1nav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 21:20   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Much thanks for pointing it out, I actually knew its 204 but I got confused with the old shape luggage space. Glad you corrected it though. To increase the backseat legroom they completely shaved the boot space out in the new one. For a car of that length this capacity is a joke. The Getz I have is the same length and has a 290 litre space with big rear legroom. Completely agree.
I didn't know boot space was sacrificed for more rear leg room, which even know seems below average. Maybe it's the dark cabin?

The Getz, if im not mistaken, has more rear leg room than the swift along with the bigger boot.

Quote:
You could consider taking a TD of the Grand if you haven't yet, it surely may not be as underpowered as you feel. Those features mentioned really are useful, specially the vents in Delhi summers.
I have TDed the Grand. It seems more than adequate for the city, but it's hard to say with a 10 min TD how good or bad it'll be on highways.

Also, though I'm keen on the gizmos, I'm a little scared that things like auto mirrors will not last too long with me since my office parking is a chaotic, thekedar-run lot and I have to leave my keys with a parking attendant
Old 29th April 2014, 23:56   #817
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't know boot space was sacrificed for more rear leg room, which even know seems below average. Maybe it's the dark cabin?

The Getz, if im not mistaken, has more rear leg room than the swift along with the bigger boot.
Dark cabin makes it look smaller than it is and yes the boot is small but manageable.

Packaging is the key term. Hyundai has done that well and Tata with the India has done it very well. Maruti have failed miserably as these cars have similar lengths.

Even then the Swift sells what may come!

Anurag.
Old 30th April 2014, 14:22   #818
BHPian

TDed grand i10 more extensively today. Drove it on the route I take to office, through expressway, main road jams, clogged lanes... And rejected it.

Though it's a delight to use for sane, inner city driving, on the expressway and spirited runs, it's no match for the Swift. To be sure, it's a huge improvement over the existing i10 and will make a lot of sense for the average commuter. But it just isn't the answer to my needs.

So Swift it is, despite the fact that a facelifted version is coming by August. Hate the fact that mine will be dated within days. But I have to buy before 15th.

Last edited by naru : 30th April 2014 at 14:34.
Old 8th May 2014, 15:16   #819
Senior - BHPian

The Swift DZire is a much better buy if you want more space and the same Swift drivability.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 12:38   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have TDed the Grand. It seems more than adequate for the city, but it's hard to say with a 10 min TD how good or bad it'll be on highways.
Hey naru, I am not quite sure if you have already made your pick by now, but here are a few suggestions from my personal experience:

1. I own a Getz and it is by far, one of the most spacious hatchbacks around to this date which can actually seat 3 adults in the rear. I recently got to go on a long tour in a Grand I10 and strangely felt it to be a bit more spacious ar the rear than my bro's I20 .

2. Swift and Polo are the cars which are meant to be 'Driven By' and not 'Driven In' !! At best, either of these cars can seat only 4 adults at a time.

3. Hyundai and Honda have mastered the art of "Space Packaging" in their cars. So if you are looking at a spacious hatch, I would recommend you to look within these brands.

4. One of cousin owns the new Swift and he always prefers a solo run in it for its fun factor. Almost always, our family members crib to get into his car during our long journeys, since they complain of a claustraphobic feeling even before the joruney begins.
Else, hang on till the Bolt is here. Competition knows that when it comes to space, Tata offers the best 'Crew Carrying' ability around.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 13th May 2014 at 12:41.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 11:08   #821
BHPian

Hey fellas!

Need your expert opinion on cars to consider for the wife.

We toyed with the idea of picking up a used car within 4L, but then we scrapped it considering that there are always pitfalls with used cars. So a new hatch it is.

We don't want to consider anything that costs above 4L. Reason being that it will be used ONLY for commuting to office & back, and maybe an occasional city runabout. Also, immigration is on the cards, so we don't want to invest a huge chunk of cash on something, only to have to sell it in 2 years and get really bad resale.

With the above points in mind, what are our choices? My preference is as follows:

1. Hyundai Eon
2. Maruti Suzuki Alto K10
3. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R 1.0
4. Datsun Go

We would love to hear from the existing Eon & K10 users, and we know there are many here, about how their cars fare in the city. Fuel efficiency is the 3rd priority, as the primary concern is reliability. The car needs to run a minimum of 20-30 kms on a daily basis, 5 days a week, in bumper to bumper traffic, without a missing a beat, be it rain or sunshine. The secondary concern is refinement and NVH. We really don't want to consider something that is unrefined, or has too high NVH. Being used to the Optra for a long time, NVH is very important. 3rd concern is the Fuel Efficiency. The higher, the better, but that being said, I am not really concerned about fuel efficiency. It can give me 12 kmpl in the city with 100% AC, and I won't bat an eyelid.

So what are your thoughts? Please share so we can make an informed decision soon. Thanks in advance & cheers!
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 11:37   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
With the above points in mind, what are our choices? My preference is as follows:

1. Hyundai Eon
2. Maruti Suzuki Alto K10
3. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R 1.0
4. Datsun Go
Of these 4, if you like the Wagon R looks & feel then its the best. Else go for Datsun Go, is very good to drive & total value for money.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 12:22   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Of these 4, if you like the Wagon R looks & feel then its the best. Else go for Datsun Go, is very good to drive & total value for money.
Thanks for the update. However, the GO & the Wagon R will be considered ONLY after we are sure that we don't want the Eon or the K10.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:51   #824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
So what are your thoughts? Please share so we can make an informed decision soon. Thanks in advance & cheers!
Wagon-R any day. You cannot go wrong with that car, if you are OK with the looks. Amazing utility vehicle.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 13:47   #825
BHPian

Hmm. Looking at Wagon R prices, it seems to be much higher than our budget.

The wife and I have planned to start taking TD's of these cars by this weekend. Will update the thread soon. Thanks all.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks