Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2014, 19:53   #856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuthuSB View Post
I wonder why you never test drove either the Xcent sedan or the I20 diesel. Xcent may be excused due to the mediocre 1.1 cylinder diesel, but I20 seems to be a good option.

The reason being that I am also interested in buying a car for around 6 to 8 lakhs budget, and I have shortlisted Hyundai I20, Honda Amaze, Fiat Grande Punto and finally Ford EcoSport.

Any suggestions from our brothers on my dilemma are also welcome.
Well, our family has been using maruti's, Hyundai's and an odd tata indica since like forever.

Honestly, I've been driving getz crdi since last 5 years and I feel it has the same basic structure as an i20, and moreover I want a change.

Why I didn't like the amaze diesel is because I didn't enjoy driving it as compared to even my old gets crdi or the polo TDI. That's my opinion and not generalized comments about the cars.

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 30th June 2014 at 19:59.
Old 1st July 2014, 09:20   #857
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post

Well, our family has been using maruti's, Hyundai's and an odd tata indica since like forever.

Honestly, I've been driving getz crdi since last 5 years and I feel it has the same basic structure as an i20, and moreover I want a change.

Why I didn't like the amaze diesel is because I didn't enjoy driving it as compared to even my old gets crdi or the polo TDI. That's my opinion and not generalized comments about the cars.
How did you feel when you did the TD of Swift diesel vis-a-vis your 3 shortlisted cars?

Anurag.
Old 1st July 2014, 09:59   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How did you feel when you did the TD of Swift diesel vis-a-vis your 3 shortlisted cars?

Anurag.
I test drove the dzire zdi and it didn't feel any particular different to drive than our existing swift diesel, and hence not as good as I felt in the shortlisted 3, however please do understand that my priority was to seek a change from our existing cars, perhaps that's the reason I liked those 3 cars more than others.

Still, I would say that dzire or for that matter swift have improved a lot in terms of interior plastics quality and features as our swift vdi in 2008 came with only power steering and power windows !

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 1st July 2014 at 10:08.
Old 4th July 2014, 19:08   #859
Senior - BHPian

Grand i10 vs new Micra, both petrol.

Can anybody point out the main difference between Grand i10 and the new Micra both petrol? The variants are Grand i10 XVS vs Micra XLO both costing around 5.5L ex-showroom.

My cousin is looking for space, easy drive-ability, ingress and egress, power. I think on first three points, the Micra scores better. So I am looking for the 3rd point, power, not what is on paper. He is thinking to upgrade from his Alto whose lag while turning on the A/C is irritating.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:46   #860
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

I think space is more in the grand i10 as compared to the micra. The rear bench seat has wheel arch protrusions in the micra. Overall with the levels of equipment the grand i 10 is much better. Have not driven it though.
nityaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 21:47   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuthuSB View Post
The reason being that I am also interested in buying a car for around 6 to 8 lakhs budget, and I have shortlisted Hyundai I20, Honda Amaze, Fiat Grande Punto and finally Ford EcoSport.

Any suggestions from our brothers on my dilemma are also welcome.
If you value ease of ownership the most, the buy the i20. If not, the Punto and the upcoming Figo replacement, make for a solid choice.

I've never been a believer of pseudo sedans like the Amaze, Dzire etc. or unnecessarily tall hatchbacks like the EcoSport, so can't really comment on those.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 22:31   #862
BHPian

Mod note: Post deleted. We do NOT want to encourage preferential behaviour for Team-BHPians at auto stores, dealerships or any other businesses.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th July 2014 at 09:09.
Old 14th July 2014, 08:02   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you value ease of ownership the most, the buy the i20. If not, the Punto and the upcoming Figo replacement, make for a solid choice.

I've never been a believer of pseudo sedans like the Amaze, Dzire etc. or unnecessarily tall hatchbacks like the EcoSport, so can't really comment on those.
Thanks brother, I second your thoughts on sub 4 meter sedans. Just that I test drove i20 and Amaze on the same day, and the Amaze could never match the refinement and the equipment list that the i20 has. Also the post in T-BHP that showed the Alto and the Amaze accident recently made me strongly consider the i20.

Secondly, the moment my wife sat on the Amaze after a test drive session with the i20, it was a strict no no, since she only noticed the noise on the high revs, and the lack of, lets see, everything on the dashboard expected from an 8.5 Lakh car. And I live on a single principle as far as our home is concerned, "Wife happy, Life Happy" !!!

Wanted to also update this in the forum that I just booked i20 sportz diesel, and awaiting delivery as there was a lot of demand for i20 diesel now, since the face lift is due next month or so, and the current version is flying off the shelves, with the 85K+ cash and other benefits they offer for the current version. Just FYI guys.

Both the color options that I asked for was unavailable (which was White, and Bronze), but then selected the only color which was available, which is Twilight Blue, and now that I booked it, I'm starting to get a liking towards that color.
Old 19th July 2014, 07:42   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting a couple of great deals on the Hyundai i20:

Almost 80K off on the 1.2 Sportz petrol,
Almost 90K off on the 1.2 Asta petrol.

In comparison, the Swift ZXI is carrying only a 30K discount.

The i20 Sportz is now equal to the Grand i10's Asta (O) variant in terms of final price, and offers much more than the top variant of the Grand.

Minuses:- Passenger Airbag, Rear AC vents, Start-Stop button, 1 GB internal storage, auto-folding ORVMs.

Pluses:- Automatic Climate Control, Reverse camera, bigger tyres, more car per car (length x breadth x height) + longer wheelbase, DRLs, Electrochromic IRVM, Rain-sensing wipers, a rear fog lamp, 2 in-cabin lamps (front map + central), Adjustable front headrests, 60:40 split for rear seat, slightly bigger fuel tank (45 ltrs against 43 of the Grand).

Even the i20 Asta is within striking distance, with a few more goodies thrown into the mix, such as a passenger airbag, auto headlamps, smart key, rear spoiler, supervision cluster, Start-Stop button, rear wiper, front armrest & height-adjustable driver's seat.

The only real advantage the Swift has (feature-wise) over the Grand i10 Asta (O) is the Automatic Climate Control.

Prices (after discounts, all petrols):

Grand i10 Asta (O) = 6,35,000/-

i20 Sportz = 6,35,000/-
i20 Asta = 6,75,000/-

Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXI = 6,51,000/-

I am on the lookout for a comfortable hatch for my Dad and myself. Car will be driven pre-dominantly (95%) inside the city, and most of the time it will be carrying a single person, either Dad or myself. Car will stay with us for at least 5 years, if not more. Limited running means it has to be a petrol.

My question is - does it make sense to go for the i20 now, specially now that the all-new i20 is just around the corner? Even the Swift is due for a facelift soon.

Heart and mind both say i20, now that it's become a terrific VFM proposition.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th July 2014 at 07:56.
Old 19th July 2014, 08:01   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I think you should listen to your instincts. I'm not going to bring up the point of the upcoming model as both are entirely different propositions. Your requirements of having a comfortable car within city usage with mostly 2 people using it points to either Grand i10 or i20. Given that the taxes on motor vehicles will jump by next year, and that the new model i20 will surely be priced higher, you'd have to pay close to 8 (guessing) for a similar spec model. Purely for the huge discount that you're getting 6.75 for a loaded vehicle, I would say that deal makes sense. Keep in mind also that i20 is much more structurally sound than Gi10 or Swift, that is a huge plus. You're inclined in that direction anyway. Edit : Buy only if you don't mind a low-er resale value as is the norm for discontinued models.

Last edited by dark.knight : 19th July 2014 at 08:23.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 09:42   #866
BANNED

Quote:

My question is - does it make sense to go for the i20 now, specially now that the all-new i20 is just around the corner? Even the Swift is due for a facelift soon.
My suggestion is the Swift ZXi even though it is the pricey one after all discounts that you are getting.

No regrets with that car, I can assure you that. That engine K12M is a performer with doubt and efficient too. Handling and ride is not questionable.

So it depends on your final choice. Seeing your requirements, Swift ZXi should do the job without a doubt.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 09:57   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am on the lookout for a comfortable hatch for my Dad and myself. Car will be driven pre-dominantly (95%) inside the city, and most of the time it will be carrying a single person, either Dad or myself. Car will stay with us for at least 5 years, if not more. Limited running means it has to be a petrol.

Does the extra space offered by the i20 of any importance to you since most of the times you say the car will be driven alone. The grand i10 might be more nimble to drive in the city and also ensures that there is no refreshed model in the next 3-4 years.

The deal on the i20 sounds mouthwatering. Is this some special concession or available across the country? The i20 is definitely a more premium hatch and if I were in your shoes, I would have picked up the Asta variant. Go with what your heart says.

Also does even the Asta i20 come without autofolding ORVMs?
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 11:51   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I think you should listen to your instincts. I'm not going to bring up the point of the upcoming model as both are entirely different propositions. Your requirements of having a comfortable car within city usage with mostly 2 people using it points to either Grand i10 or i20. Given that the taxes on motor vehicles will jump by next year, and that the new model i20 will surely be priced higher, you'd have to pay close to 8 (guessing) for a similar spec model. Purely for the huge discount that you're getting 6.75 for a loaded vehicle, I would say that deal makes sense. Keep in mind also that i20 is much more structurally sound than Gi10 or Swift, that is a huge plus. You're inclined in that direction anyway. Edit : Buy only if you don't mind a low-er resale value as is the norm for discontinued models.
What I was thinking as well. The all-new i20 might come with a few extra features (definitely the ones on the Grand i10 will be carried over), but that will command a more premium price, now that the Grand and the XCent are both jostling into the i20's pricing space. Already Hyundai have thrown in all that they can into the current-gen i20.

Plus, new car means no discounts.

Resale value doesn't bother me much. If the car is to be kept with us for 5+ years, then it's a definite that even the Grand/Swift/all-new i20 will be in their next avatars by then, facelifted or new models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My suggestion is the Swift ZXi even though it is the pricey one after all discounts that you are getting.

No regrets with that car, I can assure you that. That engine K12M is a performer with doubt and efficient too. Handling and ride is not questionable.

So it depends on your final choice. Seeing your requirements, Swift ZXi should do the job without a doubt.

Anurag.
Swift was our first choice as well. But Dad doesn't like it too much (one of the main reasons why he went for the Ritz a couple of years ago). Plus, the present-gen Swift is more suited to highway running. It has very restricted rear seat space and boot - two things which might intrude into our occasional family jaunts. The i20 is infinitely more spacious all around. Since the car will be primarily driven by him, I know he won't be happy with the Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Does the extra space offered by the i20 of any importance to you since most of the times you say the car will be driven alone. The grand i10 might be more nimble to drive in the city and also ensures that there is no refreshed model in the next 3-4 years.

The deal on the i20 sounds mouthwatering. Is this some special concession or available across the country? The i20 is definitely a more premium hatch and if I were in your shoes, I would have picked up the Asta variant. Go with what your heart says.

Also does even the Asta i20 come without autofolding ORVMs?
Yes the additional space does help. It's like the old adage of "have something and not use it, rather than need something and not have it." We are a family of 5 and it's not possible to drive our sedans into tight spots, specially inside the city. At least when we have to do family visits to such places, the spacious hatch will come in handy.

I was serious about the Grand, actually. I had gone to the dealer yesterday to check on the Grand's prices. But the offers on the i20 diverted me towards it. It's a seriously VFM deal now, more so since the Grand offers Airbags and ABS on it's top trim, the Asta (O), only.

The deal is in the range of 55K-65K in official terms. A bit of negotiation, haggling and old contact relations helped.

I think auto-folding ORVMs are absent in the i20. They are electrically foldable (push of button on driver door panel).

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th July 2014 at 11:53.
Old 19th July 2014, 12:44   #869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Why don't you wait for the face lifted Punto? It maybe worth giving a look.

And if you are not in a hurry, maybe you should see the new Jazz. Is it coming in this year?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 14:17   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Why don't you wait for the face lifted Punto? It maybe worth giving a look.

And if you are not in a hurry, maybe you should see the new Jazz. Is it coming in this year?
The maximum I could have waited was 1 month, from the beginning of July. My car advance from the company has been sanctioned, and the letter is already issued. So, gifting this car to Dad.

If Jazz was available now, I would have picked it up eyes closed. It's due by early-2015, and that's pretty late for me.

Punto's coming next month. And my city doesn't have a Fiat dealership, nor an A.S.S. center.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks