Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 18:29   #916
BANNED

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Hey guys!!
I am planning to book the new Punto Evo.
Love the car
But I am confused between the 1.4 petrol and the 90 HP.
I want a fast car and that is the priority with mainly city driving.
I test drove both but still can't decide.
Please help me out here......
LOL! The 90hp multijet is better, but neither are fast. With the Punto's weight, even the 90hp motor feels inadequate. A remap is highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi,

We have finally decided that we need a small hatch in the garage for those short city runs on days when the driver doesn't show up and dad has to drive. Also specially over weekends, going to market places parking a hatch will be much more easier. And given the current cars we have in our garage, a hatch will sort of complete it. The expected running is not going to be much for the car and hence I am fine with a petrol engine.
If it is AT you are looking for, my choice would be the Brio for its cute looks, v-tec motor, and taut dynamic capabilities. The Micra CVT, however, blows the competition away in terms of easiness to drive in the city. Do check the Micra out.
Old 29th July 2014, 18:33   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If it is AT you are looking for, my choice would be the Brio for its cute looks, v-tec motor, and taut dynamic capabilities. The Micra CVT, however, blows the competition away in terms of easiness to drive in the city. Do check the Micra out.
The Brio is not in the contention for reasons stated above. I honestly don't find its looks exciting enough and the interior dash design just seals the case against it.

No more Nissan for me due to lack of a service centre in close vicinity. Already a struggle to get my Sunny serviced.

I am more or less confused between the Grand i10 and the new Polo.
Old 29th July 2014, 19:11   #918
BHPian

[quote=IshaanIan;3491373]LOL! The 90hp multijet is better, but neither are fast. With the Punto's weight, even the 90hp motor feels inadequate. A remap is highly recommended.

Is the power really that big an issue?
Which hatchback apart from the Polo do you think is better?

My dad is still not very comfortable with the FIAT name and his friends have discouraged him a lot. Don't know how to convince him
Old 29th July 2014, 19:51   #919
BHPian

Hi, I'm posting here again as I got hardly any answer to my previous questions...
I'm looking for a city car and i have short-listed the brio and Grand i-10(Both petrol). Now, while looking all over the web, I bumped into Chevrolet Beat Diesel and would like to have an opinion of you all regarding its position as a city car. Is it worth considering or should i choose between Brio/Grand(Petrol)? Please help guys...
Regards,
Shreyak
Old 29th July 2014, 20:16   #920
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post

Is the power really that big an issue?
Which hatchback apart from the Polo do you think is better?

My dad is still not very comfortable with the FIAT name and his friends have discouraged him a lot. Don't know how to convince him

Yup. The Punto looks good, is built like a tank, soaks bad roads like a D-segment sedan and handles well. BUT don't let fanboys convince you that it is brilliant at everything; it does have its demerits. I for one, found the power to be a huge issue; there is immense turbo-lag till about 2k revs and even after that, it just manages to pull itself into the next gear does not seem powerful at all. In-gear acceleration and 0-100 times are dreary and even the 1.3 fgt 75hp Swift outpaces the Fiat in both aspects.

The car is good and I'm not swaying you into not buying it. However, I hope you buy the car knowing exactly what it is good at and what it isn't. You said that you wanted a fast car for city driving, and quick, it certainly is not. Also with those gear-ratios, stodgy-podgy gearbox, and the lack of pep, the car feels good only on the highways.

If city use and pep are primary requirements from your prospective diesel hatchback, the Swift and the Polo are the only enthusiasts choices out there. Check out the Brio if you don't mind petrol. If you are hell-bent on picking up a Punto, save for a remap and you ought to be okay

I urge you to take a little more time before finalizing your decision.

Cheers

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th July 2014 at 20:24.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 20:59   #921
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hi, I'm posting here again as I got hardly any answer to my previous questions...
I'm looking for a city car and i have short-listed the brio and Grand i-10(Both petrol). Now, while looking all over the web, I bumped into Chevrolet Beat Diesel and would like to have an opinion of you all regarding its position as a city car. Is it worth considering or should i choose between Brio/Grand(Petrol)? Please help guys...
Regards,
Shreyak
The Beat diesel is very uninspiring to drive, severely under-powered and cramped.

Coming to the Grand i10 and Brio, while roughly the same price, they are both entirely different cars. One appeals to enthusiasts like me who applaud its brilliant dynamic capabilities, its cute and unique looks are another bonus, so we are willing to forgive the car for not having little gimmicks that make everyday life easier like bluetooth telephony, auto-folding mirrors, rear aircon vents, parking sensors, kessy, etcetera because on that one day when you're on a twisty empty road or even and exciting drive through Sunday traffic, the stiff chassis, good handling manners, free revving v-tec unit and slick short-throw gearbox, on the Brio make up for it all. If you don't think you can put up with the mild inconvenience of occasionally craning your neck when reversing, or working through gears because of the lack of low-end torque in the city, or having to roll down your windows and fold out the mirrors yourself, or staring at the spartan dashboard while in traffic, all just for that rare occasion, the Grand i10 makes perfect sense and I wouldn't criticize you for making that decision

Note to mods: just saw Shreyak SS's post and I was past the 30 minute editing capabilities on my last post, hence the back to back. Please merge if needed.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th July 2014 at 21:00.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:11   #922
Senior - BHPian

@drmohtig---if an AT hatch is your primary need, then Polo GT Tsi is the way to go, despite its steep price. It has all the bells and whistles, apart from safety features. The Grand i10 unfortunately lacks safety features, else that would have been the car to go for.

@naman_ferrari--I'd suggest that you and your dad TD the Figo tdci Titanium. It has all the peppiness you need for city driving, apart from a host of safety features. The Polo is another great choice, though far more expensive. The Swift diesel has a bit of turbolag in the city, and it also has the smallest boot.

@shreyak_ss: if the Beat diesel top end is priced around the same as the other two petrol contenders, I'd urge you to go for it. Please take a TD first.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:41   #923
BHPian

Which AT Hatchback should I go for if I want safety features (ABS and airbags) ?
I think only options are Brio VX AT and Nissan Micra CVT. Not considering Polo TSI and i20 AT top end due to their price.
Old 29th July 2014, 21:45   #924
BHPian

Quote:
The Beat diesel is very uninspiring to drive, severely under-powered and cramped.

Coming to the Grand i10 and Brio, while roughly the same price, they are both entirely different cars. One appeals to enthusiasts like me who applaud its brilliant dynamic capabilities, its cute and unique looks are another bonus, so we are willing to forgive the car for not having little gimmicks that make everyday life easier like bluetooth telephony, auto-folding mirrors, rear aircon vents, parking sensors, kessy, etcetera because on that one day when you're on a twisty empty road or even and exciting drive through Sunday traffic, the stiff chassis, good handling manners, free revving v-tec unit and slick short-throw gearbox, on the Brio make up for it all. If you don't think you can put up with the mild inconvenience of occasionally craning your neck when reversing, or working through gears because of the lack of low-end torque in the city, or having to roll down your windows and fold out the mirrors yourself, or staring at the spartan dashboard while in traffic, all just for that rare occasion, the Grand i10 makes perfect sense and I wouldn't criticize you for making that decision

Note to mods: just saw Shreyak SS's post and I was past the 30 minute editing capabilities on my last post, hence the back to back. Please merge if needed.
Thanks Ishaan, that was nicely put up and i agree to every bit you have said about the Grand and the Brio. Now, sorry for missing it earlier but the car I'm looking for will be used 100% in the city for all those market runabouts and all those places where we coudnt take other cars in our garage. So performance is not a priority but the car should be compact, easily manoeuvrable and light on my pocket. What would be your take out of the three, now that I have stated my requirements? Also, the car will be driven mostly by my driver or sometimes by my mum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@shreyak_ss: if the Beat diesel top end is priced around the same as the other two petrol contenders, I'd urge you to go for it. Please take a TD first.
Thanks for the input! They are priced pretty much the same although the beat is the costliest of the lot. I will be going for a TD of all one by one, very soon.

Last edited by shreyak_ss : 29th July 2014 at 22:14. Reason: Added stuff!
Old 29th July 2014, 22:29   #925
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Ishaan, that was nicely put up and i agree to every bit you have said about the Grand and the Brio. Now, sorry for missing it earlier but the car I'm looking for will be used 100% in the city for all those market runabouts and all those places where we coudnt take other cars in our garage. So performance is not a priority but the car should be compact, easily manoeuvrable and light on my pocket. What would be your take out of the three, now that I have stated my requirements? Also, the car will be driven mostly by my driver or sometimes by my mum.
Thanks Well in that case I would suggest the Grand i10 among the trio (Beat, Brio, i10 Grand) However, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Nissan Micra. The Micra is in my opinion, the most easy to drive city hatchback around. The unique looks are also a nice thing.
Old 29th July 2014, 22:42   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Well in that case I would suggest the Grand i10 among the trio (Beat, Brio, i10 Grand) However, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Nissan Micra. The Micra is in my opinion, the most easy to drive city hatchback around. The unique looks are also a nice thing.
LOL, that is the Micra(Petrol,2011) being replaced. Nissan A.S.S just didn't work for me even though the car was excellent for the city. However after one engine breakdown and another one getting close, we decided to sell it and look for something more reliable.
Old 30th July 2014, 07:41   #927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nissan A.S.S just didn't work for me even though the car was excellent for the city.
From that point of view the Grand10 is the pick of the lot. Well sorted, proportioned and equipped.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 08:43   #928
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Regards,
Shreyak
Well, it depends on your running. For your city car(which won't be doing too many km) buy a petrol, even if Beat diesel is as expensive as Grand i10/Brio.

Advantage Gi10:
  • Good city ride
  • Better low end torque
  • Feature loaded

Advantage Brio:
  • Better dynamics; But city ride is slightly compromised
  • i-Vtec is more fun to drive
  • I like it's funky design. Disclaimer: Opinions vary.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:28   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Well, it depends on your running. For your city car(which won't be doing too many km) buy a petrol, even if Beat diesel is as expensive as Grand i10/Brio.

Advantage Gi10:
  • Good city ride
  • Better low end torque
  • Feature loaded

Advantage Brio:
  • Better dynamics; But city ride is slightly compromised
  • i-Vtec is more fun to drive
  • I like it's funky design. Disclaimer: Opinions vary.
So, test drove the Grand 1.2 and seemed to be a pretty decent and practical car. I'm inclining towards it more than the brio and the Sportz variant seems to fit my budget...
What's your take on this guys? The car was pretty loaded with features and had good space. Any Grand 1.2 owners here? Your opinion will be really helpful.

Regards,
Shreyak
Old 31st July 2014, 12:41   #930
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
So, test drove the Grand 1.2 and seemed to be a pretty decent and practical car. I'm inclining towards it more than the brio and the Sportz variant seems to fit my budget...
What's your take on this guys? The car was pretty loaded with features and had good space. Any Grand 1.2 owners here? Your opinion will be really helpful.

Regards,
Shreyak
Try posting here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-wine-red.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...te-rabbit.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks