Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 12:06   #931
BHPian

Thanks D4D and everybody else for your opinions. I have decided to go for Grand-i10 Sportz White colour and will be taking the delivery today evening.
Regards,
Shreyak
Old 1st August 2014, 17:55   #932
BHPian

Renault Pulse Vs Toyota Etios Liva

Hello everybody,

This is my first post in this forum, though have been skulking around for quite a few years going through all the information here. I am currently proud owner of a Hyundai Getz 1.1 Prime GVS. Though I love this car for the refined drive and acres of space, I am currently seeking to upgrade to a diesel car as I have to travel more for work. I currently have shortlisted the Renault Pulse and Toyota Etios Liva. The biggest drawback for me with the Renault Pulse is they do not provide ABS, but airbags and all the other top end stuff for 6.99 lakhs on-road for a 2013 model car. On the other hand Toyota Etios Liva basic model comes with ABS, EBD at a cost of 7.14 lakhs. I need your expert suggestion on which one to choose.

Danny
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:09   #933
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Pulse Vs Toyota Etios Liva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guyme View Post
I need your expert suggestion on which one to choose.
Danny,
It is pretty much obvious that you should prefer the Liva over the Pulse. I havent test driven the Pulse for the precise reason it didnt have the basic safety feature of ABS in their top variant. However I found the Liva very noisy, also the centre dashboard thing didnt go well with me. I hope you must have test driven both the shortlisted cars.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:14   #934
BHPian

Etios Liva is better than Renault Pulse any day on every factor.

If you compare with Nissan Micra that is a closer comparison & I would prefer Micra.

But if you like the Etios Cross & willing to pay the premium go for that.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:35   #935
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everybody,

I currently have shortlisted the Renault Pulse and Toyota Etios Liva. The biggest drawback for me with the Renault Pulse is they do not provide ABS, but airbags and all the other top end stuff for 6.99 lakhs on-road for a 2013 model car. On the other hand Toyota Etios Liva basic model comes with ABS, EBD at a cost of 7.14 lakhs. I need your expert suggestion on which one to choose.

Danny
If you ask me, Toyota Liva is the better pick. The reason: Better ASS and Safety. (How does Renault not offer ABS?)

The K9K that powers the Pulse can boast of terrific reliability.

Also consider figo if you want a spacious hatch.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:58   #936
Senior - BHPian

Why would you even consider the Renault Pulse at this point in time unless you're getting massive discounts? The Micra has been given quite a major refresh which renders the Pulse dated. Please check out the Micra and if you get a diesel motor and safety features at an acceptable price, then the Nissan would be my pick over the Toyota
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:27   #937
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have a question though, the Swift VDI has not ABS, but I see people buying it left, right, and center. As per expert reviews, the swift is much faster than the Renault Pulse, why would people prefer to buy the Swift VDI if it has no ABS? I agree with ghodlur that the Liva is very noisy and the speed dials just put me off. For God's sake they cannot put a real dial in there, it looked like a sticker. Moreoever, Pulse is being offered at a massive discount of 1 lakh. I might have a look at the Ford Figo as suggested by D4D. The Nissan Micra is more feminine in looks.
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:34   #938
BHPian

I would avoid Pulse for two reasons
1. No one is buying it
which will give me trouble when selling it. Spares availability will be a problem.
2. It does not offer anything extraordinary, which will make me overlook the first point.
eg Fiat Punto offers superb ride and handling package and the feel safe factor.

Also Pulse has given priority to the Passive safety (Airbags) than the active safety (ABS).
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 23:29   #939
BHPian

Quote:
the Swift VDI has not ABS, but I see people buying it left, right, and center. As per expert reviews, the swift is much faster than the Renault Pulse, why would people prefer to buy the Swift VDI if it has no ABS?
Unbeatable Maruti ASS, cheap and easily available spares.
Old 4th August 2014, 11:31   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everybody,
Danny
We have a 10 month old Liva GD SP and are indeed very happy with the choice. The dashboard and the speedometer console could have been better, but then its far better than the previous version.

Have done close to 17K kms so far and am getting ~18kmpl; on 100% A/C with majority of the drive being within Bangalore city(in not so bad road situations owing to my working hours). Have clocked around 4K on the highways/ out-station trips.

Apart from the fabulous space (3 full sized adults are an easy fit), the ride is good when fully loaded. However the NVH can be improved further, though better than the previous gen (had used the previous gen daily as a cab for months together before we bought the car, so was sure about the improvements). We don't find it bothersome within the city, especially when the HU is on. On the highways the wind/ tyre noise is a bit higher, again not too irritating. Btw, we got Bridgestone as default tyres and the suspension thuds are audible in the cabin.

The OEM horn is pathetic and we upgraded them to the dual Innova ones. The steering is nicely contoured and the right size (IMO). There is a definite turbo kick, but not in the same leagues as that of Gen2 Swift DDiS.

The OEM music system is not an eyesore anymore, but won't cater to the audiophiles. Also lacking are rear speakers as well as the provision for them. But USB and Aux inputs are available. We feel the unit gels well with the dashboard unlike the previous silver-painted version.

Seats are comfy at the front with height adjustment for the driver and a good range at that as well. Rear seats have good thigh & back support for a frame <5.9". However the rear neck restraints doesn't do a neat job of that of a neck rest. Front neck restraints are not fixed, which is a plus.

The service interval is every 10K kms. The cost till 3rd service (20K km) is ~3400INR if you opt for the SMILE package. Heard from the cabbie (mentioned earlier) that his average service cost has never crossed 2500INR and his car had done 60k kms back then.

Spare parts, body repair etc are definitely expensive than other players. However the TASS experience has been exemplary for me. Mind you, I also have a Maruti and the experience there has been swell as well. Just so that you can gauge my feedback.

Finally the brakes, AWESOME! Excellent feedback and confidence-inspiring. This is against my personal experience on a NA Jetta MK4 and a German BMW E46 (both extensively driven).

And last, but not the least, there are no rattles yet after 17K kms over bad to non-existent roads in Bangalore and elsewhere.

We needed a fuel efficient workhorse which can fit 5 adults with minimal upkeep costs and this one has lived up to it so far. Yes, there are a few creature comforts which would have been welcome. But then, we are yet to meet our perfect cost-effective Indian car for which the search is currently on, again at full steam. (replacement for our other car from MSIL).

Please feel free to ask, if I can be of any further help, w.r.t the Liva.

Good Luck!

Last edited by vinjosep : 4th August 2014 at 11:37.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 08:35   #941
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Newest B2 Segment car comparison :
Fiat Punto Evo vs Volkswagen New Polo vs Maruti Suzuki Swift vs Nissan Micra: Diesel review
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 09:30   #942
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Newest B2 Segment car comparison
Thank you for the link.

The Swift does need a revamp with all the latest features and a better (read powerful) engine to stay in the game.

In most of the parameters evaluated, the Swift is last so I hope Maruti does wake up to get it back into game.

Anurag.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:15   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In most of the parameters evaluated, the Swift is last so I hope Maruti does wake up to get it back into game.
Why the need of wake-up? Swift tops the chart and will keep topping up. No other can dare to even imagine in dreams to go anywhere near to Swift in terms of sales performance. There must be something with the Maruti-Swift which convinces people more than other cars and reflects in the sales chart too.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:29   #944
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Why the need of wake-up? Swift tops the chart and will keep topping up. No other can dare to even imagine in dreams to go anywhere near to Swift in terms of sales performance. There must be something with the Maruti-Swift which convinces people more than other cars and reflects in the sales chart too.
I do agree it tops the sales charts but I feel that an update is needed. Not a cosmetic one but from the underneath.

IIRC, the sales have come down a bit is the last few months are taken into consideration. Seeing that as an indication, I told that Maruti needs to do something.

EDIT:

Jan - 19027
Feb - 19099
Mar - 19304
April - 15874
May - 17936
June - 13634
July - 15703

Got the July sales figure from the June 2014 thread.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th August 2014 at 10:35.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:55   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IIRC, the sales have come down a bit is the last few months are taken into consideration. Seeing that as an indication, I told that Maruti needs to do something.
On the serious note, I agree with you. If they don't smell the trend being followed up by the other manufacturers, they may have to bear the cost in long term.

I used to say same thing about Samsung phones that they are selling their devices at extremely higher price level compared to the quality and worthiness on the offer and will pay the cost one day. No one used to believe and today we are seeing they are pushed to no-2 in the Q3 of 2014 and the competition is rapidly increasing.

I believe that will surely happen one day with Maruti too, its rule of the cycle, but not anytime soon atleast in next 5-6 years. By then they will be having other additions in their line-up like SX4 Cross, Ciaz and some other models including small-SUVs which are getting popular these days.

If we think practically, it makes no sense for Maruti to change anything significantly right now in the Swift. People are accepting what is being offered by Maruti now. Also doing something significant also depends on their international adaptions. They have 1.4 and 1.6 versions internationally along with AWD variant. And I think the 1.3 Diesel engine is also second generation MJD which is not coming in any Indian car having MJD family engine. They can bring those models in India. Just imagine an AWD car under 10L but how many will buy it?

EDIT : The dropped figures of the sales you have posted applicable to other manufacturers also, whole industry is suffering from low sales. And think, all the other cars in the same segment are not able to make total of the numbers achieved by the Swift alone. Also do not forget to include the numbers of the Dzire in the sales of the Swift brand

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th August 2014 at 11:05.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks