Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:40   #496
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Not according to their brochure. Link
This brochure dates back to 2017.
ABS and EBD were made standard after September 2018.
You can also check Hyundai's website for the same.
Bhatia.D17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:25   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
The only deal breaker for me in this car is that I need to manually lock the doors once I start driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
This is one thing that I don't like about my current car.
There is an OBD device available at the accessories shops costing 1500-2000 which solves this problem. On Aliexpress, it is even lesser but available for only few models. Grand i10 automatic is listed but not manual.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-050-only.html (Speed-sensing Auto Lock for the Hyundai Creta! Simple OBD module for Rs 1,050 only)

An imported told me the cost of Rs.1400 for Grand i10 manual and I plan to get it when I visit that area in Delhi next time.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 21:31   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone.

I am looking for a new car to replace our 9 year old i20 petrol. I am considering Grand i10 Sportz (P) as of now.

Will be having a look at both the cars today and get the exact pricing.
Visited both Hyundai and NEXA.

Grand i10 Sportz (P)
Exshowroom Price: 599,990
Tax : 30,500
Insurance: 29,500 (Zero Dep)
Handling Charges: 3,000
Extended Warranty(4th & 5th year): 7,400
Total On Road Price: 670,390

Discounts: 50,000 + 11,000(gold coin) + 30,000 (exchange) + 4,000 (Basic accesories)
Total = 95,000

Value of Old Car = 140,000
i20 Asta Petrol (2010)

Effective On Road Price: 435,390

Observations:
With the driver seat pushed all the way back, I was able to sit with around 1 or 2 inches of knee room.
Seat height was good. Neither too low nor too high.

Baleno Delta (P)
On Road Price : 756,000
Insurance- 33,000 (zero dep)
Basic kit : 11,000
Tax: 45,000
No Discounts
Value of old car : 140,000 (including exchange bonus of 15,000)
Effective On Road : 616,000

Some values are approximate as I could did not have Baleno's bifurcation with me at the moment.

Any suggestions regarding the prices.
I am more inclined towards Grand i10 while my mother likes Baleno more.
Let's see which one gets selected.
Will Probably do a TD of Grand i10 as I have driven one while parking only.
Old 3rd June 2019, 21:59   #499

Quote:
Visited both Hyundai and NEXA.
Recently purchased Grandi10 Sportz AT
Total discount offered was 1L (w/o exchange). You can push for more IMO.
Good luck!
MuditK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 08:04   #500
BHPian

Hello BHPians, posting on behalf of a friend :

His father, starting his second innings as a CG retiree, is looking to get a new car for himself in Kolkata.
99% of the usage will be in the city itself.

His budget is INR 6L OTR which can be stretched to 7, if it's interesting deal props up.

The car should be a Petrol Manual.

He has shortlisted the following :

1. Hyundai Grandi10 Nios (depends on the pricing and features)
2. Toyota Glanza
3. Honda Amaze
4. Ford Aspire

Looking forward to your recommendations.
Should one wait for the Nios, or just cash in on the existing discounts on present Grand i10 stocks?
Old 15th August 2019, 08:52   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Should one wait for the Nios?
Yes. But in this case, no. Even in its current form, the Grand i10 is close to perfect for city duties with its compact dimensions, nice quality, peppy engine and light controls. The Nios is likely to carry forward the same traits with a fresh design and additional features.

What car(s) does your friend drive currently? If there are better cars in the garage, it makes sense to save those bucks and go for the current Grand i10. If not, the Nios could be worth the wait.

Not sure about the case in Kolkata but in NCR, the current Grand i10 has benefits of over 1 lakh rupees almost throughout the year. This amount is substantial enough to overlook the design advantage and creature comforts that the Nios would offer.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:43   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

What car(s) does your friend drive currently? If there are better cars in the garage, it makes sense to save those bucks and go for the current Grand i10. If not, the Nios could be worth the wait.
His father currently is driven around the SUVs provided by the Govt.

His main concern is long term reliability since the car would be only sporadically used, and he intends to maintain it for a long term 8-10 years minimum.

Having the Grand i10 from 2014, I was actually asking him to get a Toyota Glanza. Impeccable Toyota service, plus easily available Maruti spares. My experience with the i10 was not very nice with problems creeping up in the 4th and 5th year.
The car will be sedately driven in the city, so I guess the thinner metal sheet should not be a major point of difference.

Side note : Does the Etios Liva even make sense considering?

Last edited by sharktale : 16th August 2019 at 10:47.
Old 11th September 2019, 15:10   #503
BHPian

The second car conundrum

Hello to all the wonderful people out here. I have been a lurker on the forum and I here am creating my first thread.

A brief about me:
I am an IT professional entering the 30s and I live in Western Pune. I have been living with a WagonR VXI (2015, 56K KMs, easy to drive and spacious, literally the complete car rattles on every pothole and rough patch, mainly because it was driver driven for a significant time) and Ritz VXI (My first car, 2012, 1.10 Lakh Kms, still going strong, love every bit of it, into its eighth year, got a zero dep. for eighth year, new Michelins XM2s, a new battery, clutch overhaul and she feels brand new and like I said love every bit of it) for some time now.

I drive the Wagon and the better car is for the SO.

I am planning to replace the WagonR, it will be in the family but in a different city. I am a sedate driver. So, looking for something easy to drive, no-nonsense, relatively lighter on the pocket. My choice of car right now must be more driven by the EMI I would pay for it.

Contenders:

MS SCROSS and Honda Jazz (AT)

My thoughts on the SCROSS:
It has been my upgrade target car from the day it was launched. Now, when the time has come to make its mine, I am having second thoughts. Main reasons attributing to the dilemma:

- OLD 1.3 MJD (the whole BS4-BS6 drama), MS not being upfront on the 1.5 diesel/petrol being made available in the SCROSS (I hear the Diesel is not BS6 compliant). Wouldn't want to spend a million+ rupees on an outgoing engine and car, if the SCROSS is to be discontinued.

- The ever-increasing traffic and Manual transmission

- Some financial goals might take a back seat for this purchase (which I am unwilling to do)

- The infotainment system in the higher variants is a downer (half baked, unfinished. Rather in our market, none of the manufacturers have got this right yet. I hear Hyundai's are good but it feels like it needs a couple of more iterations. Haven’t tried/seen the MG/Seltos yet). I'd rather prefer the setup on the delta.

- The test car's interiors were worrying, this is not how I want my car's interiors to age. Especially when I am paying a million+ rupees. It's not the rattles and vibrations but more the finish and the way the black plastics feel/look when polished and shinned.

- Other than that, personally SCROSS has felt a rightly specked car. Only let down by MS's poor finish, lack of confidence in the product, crazy sales number chasing and ignorance towards such a beautiful car.

Out goes the SCROSS.

In comes the Jazz:

- For such a low-slung car, the ingress/egress is super smooth, I have grown with tall boy hatches.

- No fuss dash (I hear and have felt the digipad to be a little gimmicky), anyways I'd go for the V variant (less nonsensical/cosmetic features).

- Roomy interiors, questionably sturdy exteriors, the ground clearance is going to be constant thing at the back of the mind (during the test drive with four healthy occupants, it did scrape an oddly made speed breakers)

- The flat bench at the back (my 2012 Ritz has a 60:40 seat and adjustable rear headrests, I am not getting it in the Jazz, what a bummer! Honda really?).

- Those stupid pillows which I will need to pay for (every time I see those pillows in any Honda, I cringe)

- I get the key-less entry, push button start (some add-on novelty) and the CVT (probably the best (read reliable) in our market)

- My finances/mind don’t allow me to pay an emi in excess of 12-14K a month. I did not save enough for the new car purchase, other things in life took priority (Home purchase and Kid)

- Jazz is pricey for what it offers (I am not the one to be fuzzy about a long feature list)

- Would Jazz AT be tricky on Ghats, would the GC matter for driving on the western coastal roads (I frequently go to the Western Ghats and Konkan), my weekdays 50Km city commute.

But Jazz is what fits my budget.

Quick comments on other cars I have considered:

No Tata/Mahindra/VW's/Nissan/Renault, the closest Ford and Fiat service stations are at least 20 Kms away. I am not the one to hand over the keys of my car to a valet.

- The Nexon feels solid but given that it is a TATA, I have my reservations. And it’s a 3 cylinder petrol.

- The i20 elite/active, although I feel this is the best hatch in the market. But I find it difficult to get in and find the right driving position. Ticks almost all the boxes but the seats and finish fades in comparison to the Jazz.

- I wish the Ecosport was a little longer. It is perfectly equipped, but with the child seat at the back and my (5'11'' + 90 KG) frame there is hardly any space left in the car. Freestyle/Figo are not Jazz (although superb 1.5d engines)

- HATE the Pseudo sedans (Dzire, Amaze, Aspire, Tigor, Ameo)

- Drove the Grand i10 NIOS, good but not good enough. Someone buying this as a first car is going to be really happy.

- The new SWIFT petrol, perfectly named. Breeze to drive, surprisingly smooth gear shifts. Questionably sturdy. But again 8+Lakh for top variant for what it offers seems horrendously priced.

- All three cars that I am considering Jazz (V AT), Brezza and the SCROSS are priced very close to each other (rather a price difference I wouldn't mind paying)

- If I consider the safety aspect, SCROSS outshines with its built, it being an international car (well researched and tested) and four discs, I believe it will be more abuse friendly, should I still go for the Jazz?

My mind will wander till I make the down payment. For time being, I am seeking comments from the forum on what would be right way ahead.

Cheers,
Sundeep
Old 11th September 2019, 16:09   #504
Team-BHP Support

Re: The second car conundrum

Few pointers:

- I've owned Scross for close to 4 years now. While I tend to agree with the diesel and engine negatives, you can safely assume that the interiors will age as well as any other non-Maruti car.

- We just bought a new Amaze CVT in the extended family. Not that bad, mate. If you can get over the hatred of pseudo sedans, just get a test drive done.

- Not considering Glanza / Baleno CVT ?

I would rate Amaze / Glanza higher than Jazz.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:45   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
My thoughts on the SCROSS:
It has been my upgrade target car from the day it was launched. Now, when the time has come to make its mine, I am having second thoughts. Main reasons attributing to the dilemma:

- OLD 1.3 MJD (the whole BS4-BS6 drama), MS not being upfront on the 1.5 diesel/petrol being made available in the SCROSS (I hear the Diesel is not BS6 compliant). Wouldn't want to spend a million+ rupees on an outgoing engine and car, if the SCROSS is to be discontinued.

- The ever-increasing traffic and Manual transmission

- Some financial goals might take a back seat for this purchase (which I am unwilling to do)
Sundeep, I think the highlighted parts answers a lot of your questions and hence the S Cross should be off your list.

The Jazz CVT has absolutely no issues in the ghats, Ive driven mine over 28,500 kms. It is the perfect fill it, shut it, forget it car. The mileage is quite respectable also, the mileage figures on the i20 automatic are nowhere close in comparison as evidenced on this forum. As Eddy suggested, the Baleno / Glanza CVT is a good alternative.

I would strongly suggest you check out the Amaze as well. You get the option of the 1.2 petrol engine + CVT as well as the 1.5 diesel + CVT.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:53   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Few pointers:
- We just bought a new Amaze CVT in the extended family. Not that bad, mate. If you can get over the hatred of pseudo sedans, just get a test drive done.

- Not considering Glanza / Baleno CVT ?

I would rate Amaze / Glanza higher than Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
As Eddy suggested, the Baleno / Glanza CVT is a good alternative.

I would strongly suggest you check out the Amaze as well. You get the option of the 1.2 petrol engine + CVT as well as the 1.5 diesel + CVT.
Thank you so much for the comments. But, Eddy and Jericho, don't you think that the 'India-nization' (if it is a term, no offence meant) of Honda started with Brio/Amaze. I hear the frugal engineering term thrown around a lot, but I wouldn't want to be seen with an Amaze, the layout of the dash, the sheet metal, the shape. I may like the way the cabin and boot has been laid out if I enter the car with my eyes closed but the moment you open the eyes, you'd know you've been duped.

I get the value part of the Amaze and I understand mine is a polarizing opinion but then I genuinely feel this way. Add to that I have lived with Maruti Suzuki for over a decade.

For me, if I had to buy a Dzire'ish car at the cost of a Honda, I'd rather be with a MS car (with the ongoing discounts, tried, tested and a known devil).

Just to be clear, all the above said points apply on the Baleno as well.

I might be at a loss here due to my prejudice, but it is what it is.

A new line of thought/question:

I'm aware the that pseudo utility's (Nexon/Brezza/WRV/SCROSS) can swallow the rough patches in the City and on the highways, how much weightage should be given to this quality. I'd like not being overtly worried while going over rough patches.

An interesting anecdote

A week back, after another sleepless weekend night (what car?), I wake up groggily on a Sunday morning 6 am and decide to drive around, it helps me think clearly when I have a hand on the steering. My place is at a stone's throw away from the Pune-Banglore highway [home location, I had it planned and executed to perfection].

In about 15 min, I reach a Honda Showroom bang on the highway and wonder if they are open or if they'd let me in (I had the sales rep's reference/contact just in case needed). To my surprise, the showroom is open sans the crowd and the sales staff, its just the guards, housekeeping people, the complete range of Honda Cars and I.

The housekeeping guys welcome me, offer me a coffee and leave me alone with the cars. I spend a good an hour and a half inspecting (Jazz, WRV and City), while stealing glances at the new Civic .

Quick observations :

City - Hands down, best seats, the contouring, the finish (top end ZX variant). I love the 1.5 iVtech. The SO has been in love with the City brand since the time I have known her (she likes the Corolla and Camry too, I'm lucky that way)

Jazz - Second best seats (best compared to other hatches), easy ingress-egress, hate the back bench. Excellent finish!

WRV/Amaze - The prime reasons for the decline in Honda's market perception in India. Made to cost but being sold at a premium. They keep the house running (bring in the numbers) but do we really need another value player in the market.

I believe that the sustainability in our market could be achieved in the foreseeable time by offering global standards here and that is what might work for Kia and the opposite Datsun/Daihatsu way is not going to work.

We are aspirational and practical at the same time, Maruti sensed this and hence we have (Arena and Nexa) and there is no one beating them only a distant chasing pack.
Old 20th September 2019, 08:50   #507
BHPian

Jazz VX MT or Elite Asta Petrol MT or Baleno/Glanza Alpha/V MT or Swift ZXI+ MT - 10 years ownership

These few months there is a lot of ambiguity for anyone looking to buy a new car. If not Team BHP then it would be all the more difficult to know which one would be the best fit as per one's requirement.

My extended family are of 4 adults and one kid. They have been using a Swift Petrol MT since 2008 and have clocked 85k Kms. Due to this incessant rains, there was a leakage in the car and Maruti Sales Service quoted nearly 50-75k of repair cost but at the same time suggested to exchange for a new one.

Our requirements are as follows:

1. Should be a hatchback/ premium hatchback
2. Should be a Petrol engine as monthly driving is not more than ~600 Kms
3. Spacious as the kid is only a year old and will need comfortable and spacious rear seat
4. Most importantly they keep their cars well maintained for a minimum of 10 years and no less
5. Should be easy to maintain and not very costly as well
6. Maximum budget is 8 lakhs plus whatever resale value we get of the 11 year old Swift
7. Business family who don't believe in EMIs so no Loan and strict budget.
8. No Volkswagen, Skoda, Nissan and Renault.

Dilemma:

1. Wait for BS6 as the ownership will be of a decade from now
2. Should buy now with additional benefits or wait till December or at least till the GST decision is out

Cars they have considered on preliminary test drives and reading (with my inputs post going through most threads on Team BHP)

1. Jazz VX MT
2. Elite Asta MT
3. Baleno Alpha
4. Glanza V MT
5. Swift ZXI+

We are open for any other option if it fits our requirements felicitously.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 20th September 2019 at 08:58.
Old 20th September 2019, 12:47   #508
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jazz VX MT or Elite Asta Petrol MT or Baleno/Glanza Alpha/V MT or Swift ZXI+ MT - 10 years owner

I would suggest Baleno or Glanza. They have the superb 1.2 K series engine which is undoubtedly the best. Hyundai 1.2L kappa is close but it lacks FE.

Ultimately, you should take a test drive of all shortlisted cars and then take a call. Suitability can be different from person to person. Also you have mentioned top variants of the cars, which I feel may go above your budget.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 13:17   #509
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jazz VX MT or Elite Asta Petrol MT or Baleno/Glanza Alpha/V MT or Swift ZXI+ MT - 10 years owner

Baleno is the best all-rounder here, it has the most rounded engine, ample space inside.

On the highway, it's manners are decent, and inside city, it's light controls and comfortable ride will be praise worthy.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 14:56   #510
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Glanza as it is an excellent all-rounder with a punchy K12 engine. I would suggest picking the Toyota brand over the Suzuki unless the car will be running in a non-metro, in which case, the Maruti service network might be a factor to consider.

The i20 isn't worthy of the 1.2 Kappa. It is quite sluggish.

Between the Swift and the Glanza, I would say that the Glanza would make for a better buy, considering your extended family consists of 5 people.

That leaves us with the Jazz which is a great buy but has a engine which doesn't feel as good as the K12 and lacks a few features in comparison to the Glanza. Of course it has its benefits in the form of space and better build quality.

I would suggest the Glanza.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks