Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2014, 14:55   #151
BANNED

Gearbox, Pickup, Handling ??

Hey Guys,

Has anyone had a chance to test drive all the currently available Automatic Hatchbacks and compare them purely on the the basis of Gearbox/Gearshift Quality, Acceleration/Pickup and Handling ??

Lets keep the all the other things aside like features, looks, price, safety equipment etc.

How do the Celerio AMT, Grand i10 Automatic, Brio Automatic and Micra CVT compare to each other purely in regards to Gearbox/Gearshift Quality, Acceleration/Pickup and Handling ?

Anyone test driven all of the above Hatchback Automatics ?
Old 11th April 2014, 15:19   #152
BHPian

Re: Gearbox, Pickup, Handling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Hey Guys,

Has anyone had a chance to test drive all the currently available Automatic Hatchbacks and compare them purely on the the basis of Gearbox/Gearshift Quality, Acceleration/Pickup and Handling ??

Lets keep the all the other things aside like features, looks, price, safety equipment etc.

How do the Celerio AMT, Grand i10 Automatic, Brio Automatic and Micra CVT compare to each other purely in regards to Gearbox/Gearshift Quality, Acceleration/Pickup and Handling ?

Anyone test driven all of the above Hatchback Automatics ?
Have driven i10, Brio, Micra. Brio and Micra are the best. In my opinion Brio wins by a huge margin due to the good old proven Automatic transmission as opposed to Micra's CVT that's relatively new in the India market and the quality of service is not proven compared to Honda.
Old 18th April 2014, 10:32   #153
D4D
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

What's your budget?
Of the choices you've given here, i10 auto is ahead of the other two in every possible way.
Old 18th April 2014, 11:35   #154
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gearbox, Pickup, Handling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

I have not driven any but (but the old i10 AT) here is what I think is the assessment:

- Grand i10 : 4 Speed Gear Box. Not great. Would just do fine from a functionality point of view (Almost same as the old i10)
- Brio : I think the best of gear box and engine.
- Micra CVT: The only CVT, very high on FE as per claim. Will give you the famed rubber band effect.

I think purely from gear box and engine, it has to be the Brio.
Old 12th May 2014, 15:34   #155
Senior - BHPian

I am on the market to purchase a Auto Hatch. I did a test drive of the i10 Grand AT, the car overall is great but somehow 4 gears was a let down. Then again from the lot below and the specifications which one should I go for, any owners of these cars can comment would be great. The choices are very limited as the budget is limited to max of INR 7lakhs

Which Cars
  1. Maruti Celerio Vxi AT
  2. Grand i10 AT Sportz

Specifications
  1. Automatic Transmission
  2. Mainly will be city driven
  3. Lady driven 95% of the time
  4. A/c, Pwr Windows, Pwr Steering
  5. Milage around 12-13kpl with a/c
  6. Maximum seating 4 people.
Old 12th May 2014, 15:48   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I am on the market to purchase a Auto Hatch. I did a test drive of the i10 Grand AT, the car overall is great but somehow 4 gears was a let down. Then again from the lot below and the specifications which one should I go for, any owners of these cars can comment would be great. The choices are very limited as the budget is limited to max of INR 7lakhs

Which Cars
  1. Maruti Celerio Vxi AT
  2. Grand i10 AT Sportz
Specifications
For 20k more you'll get abs and other relevant safety features in the honda brio

It looks punny but inside space is good (for 4 people )
Old 12th May 2014, 15:54   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
For 20k more you'll get abs and other relevant safety features in the honda brio

It looks punny but inside space is good (for 4 people )
Dont think Brio is just 20k more, last time I checked its close to 60-70k more than the Hyundai. Thats the sole reason to keep it out of the equation.
Old 12th May 2014, 15:59   #158
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

Which Cars
  1. Maruti Celerio Vxi AT
  2. Grand i10 AT Sportz

Specifications
  • Of the two cars you have listed, I think the Celerio will tick all your boxes. Since it's a manual transmission underneath, expect it deliver incredible mileage. With it's small dimensions, it will be comfortable to drive and park. Maybe the ideal choice if you're ready to wait a long time.
  • i10/Grand i10 AT will be a good choice too. I don't think 4-speed will be a handicap because you state that the car will be driven in the city. I'm not sure about the mileage though.
  • Since it's city driving you're after, Brio automatic with it's 5 speed AT might be your best bet. The only problem is it's small boot. Has a ARAI certified mileage 16.xx kmpl, might give 11~12 kmpl in the city.
  • Micra CVT might be good. Don't get fooled by the ARAI tested mileage as the CVT has a super-tall last ratio. City FE will only be comparable to other automatics
  • Alternately if you're open to pre-owned cars, a third gen city automatic?

Last edited by D4D : 12th May 2014 at 16:00.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:10   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
  • Of the two cars you have listed, I think the Celerio will tick all your boxes. Since it's a manual transmission underneath, expect it deliver incredible mileage. With it's small dimensions, it will be comfortable to drive and park. Maybe the ideal choice if you're ready to wait a long time.
  • i10/Grand i10 AT will be a good choice too. I don't think 4-speed will be a handicap because you state that the car will be driven in the city. I'm not sure about the mileage though.
  • Since it's city driving you're after, Brio automatic with it's 5 speed AT might be your best bet. The only problem is it's small boot. Has a ARAI certified mileage 16.xx kmpl, might give 11~12 kmpl in the city.
  • Micra CVT might be good. Don't get fooled by the ARAI tested mileage as the CVT has a super-tall last ratio. City FE will only be comparable to other automatics
  • Alternately if you're open to pre-owned cars, a third gen city automatic?
Thanks for the pointers, with the preworshipped angle its even more confusing.

I checked with Maruti, the waiting is close to 8 months, that's unacceptable in the 21st century. I am not sure if we purchase without loan they might give us quicker within a month. The OTR for Celerio is 5.54 lakhs in Bangalore. Waiting for the test drive, apparently there are no AMT cars with the showrooms.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:29   #160
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers, with the preworshipped angle its even more confusing.

apparently there are no AMT cars with the showrooms.
Pre-worshipped cars have no waiting periods.

I see so many celerio with large stickers on their doors saying "Celerio Test drive Autogear shift" near padmanabha nagar and Bannerghatta road.
Old 15th May 2014, 08:38   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think you should go with the Grand I10. Since its mostly city driven, and since its going to be lady driving most of the time, more than the performance, its the over all comfort factor that you should look at. And in there the Grand I10 scores very well. The only thing which I dont like in it is, it not having safety kits. Its the same with the old I10 lower variants. I own one of them (AT sportz). About 25k on the odo perfectly satisfied with the over all ownership.

Also Have you looked at Brio? Apart from the safety kits, I would still go with Grand I10.

Last edited by ampere : 15th May 2014 at 08:46.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 14:12   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you should go with the Grand I10. Since its mostly city driven, and since its going to be lady driving most of the time, more than the performance, its the over all comfort factor that you should look at. And in there the Grand I10 scores very well. The only thing which I dont like in it is, it not having safety kits. Its the same with the old I10 lower variants. I own one of them (AT sportz). About 25k on the odo perfectly satisfied with the over all ownership.

Also Have you looked at Brio? Apart from the safety kits, I would still go with Grand I10.
More than performance we are a little worried about mileage figures for the Grand i10 AT, Salesperson himself admitted that its around 11kpl. He also informed that there was mileage issues in the older i10 but are addressed in the grand, I am presuming an ECU update.

Celerio kind of fits the bill as well but the waiting periods are just too high to bear!

I did a test drive of the Celerio AMT and though it was not mind blowing but I was satisfied. Yes the car feels pretty sparse when I compare to the grand in terms of gizmos and interiors. However, thinking if blowing 1.5 lakhs more on the grand is worth it.

Our budget prevents from looking at Brio or Micra as they are quite more than 7L that we have thought.

Last edited by motomaverick : 15th May 2014 at 14:13.
Old 15th May 2014, 16:22   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
More than performance we are a little worried about mileage figures for the Grand i10 AT, Salesperson himself admitted that its around 11kpl. He also informed that there was mileage issues in the older i10 but are addressed in the grand, I am presuming an ECU update.
That is very correct. The FE that we see is anywhere from 9-12 depending on driving conditions.

Quote:
I did a test drive of the Celerio AMT and though it was not mind blowing but I was satisfied. Yes the car feels pretty sparse when I compare to the grand in terms of gizmos and interiors. However, thinking if blowing 1.5 lakhs more on the grand is worth it.
If you plan to drive it more than 20-25 km per day then yes, Celerio makes sense. In the end yes its a question requirement, budget and comfort.
Old 15th May 2014, 16:51   #164
BHPian

Quote:
I am on the market to purchase a Auto Hatch. [/list]
I have read your situation well.

Are you OK with a pre-owned astar automatic, I did a quick search on OLX, here is what I found:
http://bangalore.olx.in/nf/search/astar%2Bautomatic

Why Astar?
The astar will give you good mileage inside the city, around 12kmpl.
Bargain hard, you could use a sparingly used car for around 3.5 lakhs
ABS as a safety feature, the grand i10 or the celerio which falls into your budget don't have ABS.

Risk factors:
Condition of the auto box, the way the previous owner drove the vehicle. But within warranty, you should not go wrong with the purchase.
Old 15th May 2014, 17:43   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I have read your situation well.

Are you OK with a pre-owned astar automatic, I did a quick search on OLX, here is what I found:
http://bangalore.olx.in/nf/search/astar%2Bautomatic

Why Astar?
The astar will give you good mileage inside the city, around 12kmpl.
Bargain hard, you could use a sparingly used car for around 3.5 lakhs
ABS as a safety feature, the grand i10 or the celerio which falls into your budget don't have ABS.

Risk factors:
Condition of the auto box, the way the previous owner drove the vehicle. But within warranty, you should not go wrong with the purchase.
Thanks for the inputs but unfortunately the ladies of the house do not like the frog eyes A-Star, plus we are shying away from used cars especially automatics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks