Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2015, 17:56   #256
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Nice comparison of the two cars.

The elephant in Maruti's stable is the lack of AMT on the Wagon-R. IMHO that car with auto and powersteering is the best car for India due to narrow track and tall seating position.
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 18:51   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is very much possible. Actually, I did adjust to the brake force of the Nano during the test drive. But after the test drive, when I drove my Jetta, I was subconsciously applying a greater force and the Jetta braked hard a couple of times before I re-adjusted the force back to Jetta brakes. That was another concern I had. I will have to automatically adjust the braking force when I have to drive both the cars

Wife could not do a TD as she is yet to get her license
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I totally understand the background. I still would suggest to increase the budget to a Celerio AMT. I think that would be ideal. Because for the comfort of city driving, a bit of a creature comfort would be nicer to have along with a slight bigger size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
I am in the same dilemma as most of the posters here. With the requirement for getting a "small" automatic car for the missus (she is a new driver) to be driven around the city, I am thoroughly confused between K10 and Nano. Given that Nano has brake issues:

1. Are they severe? She will hardly be doing 50.
2. Can they be fixed?

K10 exceeds the budget and that is the only gripe I have with the car or else I would have booked it with eyes closed.

Budget is strictly limited to 3.5 lacs OTR.

Cheers,
Saurabh

Just my 2 cents on the brakes.

They are slightly weak. Like 15%

But - here are few things I have observed.

1. WITHOUT fail - go to a good TASS and get the BRAKES aligned. Makes a LOT of difference.
If the SA is good he will ask you about your type of usage and distance and load.
Once they are all re-calibrated they perform MUCH better than on day one.

2. WARM-UP - the brakes take time to 'warm up' - after about 5 kms or 15 minutes they behave differently. (Like the old Indica) - then they work fine. Infact can bring it to a grinding halt straight from 80 to 20 without skidding and in control.

So - take a longer test drive.

&

almost all Clutch & Brake issues get sorted with 1 trip to the TASS. A GOOD TASS.
Sometimes they might even replace the cable for you and it would make the difference.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 14:53   #258
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming in to the Automatic hatch party quite late.
Considering replacing the old M800 with an automatic hatch and the realization so far is that the automatics from Maruti - Alto K10 and Celerio are not options if one wants Air bags
Seems like the Grand i10 is one option but will mean spending almost 3 lakhs more as compared to the Maruti offerings!

OR drop the idea of an automatic and go for the K10 or Celerio top end options which again defeats the purpose .. dilemma begins.

Last edited by NPV : 5th May 2015 at 14:56.
Old 5th May 2015, 15:02   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Seems like the Grand i10 is one option but will mean spending almost 3 lakhs more as compared to the Maruti offerings!
I think even Grand i10 does not have ABS/Airbags on the AT version. Thats the big let down. Only that have are Brio and Micra. (Maybe Pulse too).

Need to check the Bolt as well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:19   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Considering replacing the old M800 with an automatic hatch and the realization so far is that the automatics from Maruti - Alto K10 and Celerio are not options if one wants Air bags

OR drop the idea of an automatic and go for the K10 or Celerio top end options which again defeats the purpose .. dilemma begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think even Grand i10 does not have ABS/Airbags on the AT version. Thats the big let down. Only that have are Brio and Micra. (Maybe Pulse too).

Need to check the Bolt as well.
Right. Grand i10 does not come with safety features on the AT variant. Cheapest options with ABS/Airbags are the Brio and Micra. Pulse and Bolt do not have AT variants.

Next in line is the Polo GT TSI and the compact sedans- Amaze, Xcent, Zest (Diesel AT) and upcoming Ford Aspire.

The Celerio Zxi AMT is said to be on the way. That comes with Airbags. Should be out soon.

Edit: This link indicates an April Launch. Don't think it is out yet. But has been spotted testing. So definitely on the way

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour-...io-zxi-get-amt

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th May 2015 at 16:22. Reason: link to ZXI AMT news
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 18:57   #261
BHPian

Quote:

It's always advisable to pay the premium and get a car with all the safety features. As they say, you can't put a price on safety.

So, the Brio and the Micra seem to be good for you.

Also, the Figo Aspire launch is around the corner, which will be coming with a DCT. If I am not wrong, it will have six airbags and will be loaded to the gills.

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 19:50   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wait for the Nano AMT. Or better still, go the used route- you're bound to get an A-star or i10 AT on sale somewhere. AT drivers don't expect much resale- my 4 year old Vento AT will barely fetch me 5L today!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 19:58   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will wait for another two years... for the government to mandate airbags and abs on every car sold in the country...before putting money down to replace my ageing Santro AT (13th year).

I hope the wait is worth it. It is rather inconceivable for me to imagine, that an Alto driver's life is less worth than a Brio's.

MS - are you listening? Good. You better do something about it, other than look into your pocket book!

Last edited by joybhowmik : 5th May 2015 at 19:59.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 20:48   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
.. go the used route- you're bound to get an A-star or i10 AT on sale somewhere. AT drivers don't expect much resale- my 4 year old Vento AT will barely fetch me 5L today!
Noop - hardly so ! The used AT's are quoted at a premium ! 2009 i10's @ about 4L in BLR !!!
Old 5th May 2015, 23:01   #265
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wait for the Nano AMT. Or better still, go the used route- you're bound to get an A-star or i10 AT on sale somewhere. AT drivers don't expect much resale- my 4 year old Vento AT will barely fetch me 5L today!
I'm in no tearing hurry so will just wait for some more time even a year or so should not be a problem.
I did look around for used AT's but didn't come across a good one yet (low miles and not too old at a great/reasonable price). And yes, these days the AT's command a premium in Bangalore as @condor rightly said.

Last edited by NPV : 5th May 2015 at 23:03.
Old 5th May 2015, 23:58   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Noop - hardly so ! The used AT's are quoted at a premium ! 2009 i10's @ about 4L in BLR !!!

Quote:
And yes, these days the AT's command a premium in Bangalore as @condor rightly said.

Really? Well at least I know where to head to if I want to sell my own car!
Old 6th May 2015, 06:41   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thank you for the mini review.

I have paid 5000 each at both Maruti and Tata to put myself in the waiting queue.

Awaiting the TD vehicle of Nano so that I can do a couple of back to back TD's to finalise on the vehicle.

Reserving all my comments till I get my hands on the Nano AMT.
Hi Anurag, after the tata nano genx amt came out - I am thinking of buying it instead of the k10 amt. For me , it will only be used in Hyderabad city- no highway travel . Also, I primarily would only use the car for about 3 months a year when I visit India. Rest of the time it will just be parked and our driver will be just starting it and take it for an occasional drive just to keep it in a running condition.

We also have a Ertiga - that we c a n use for longer drives or if more people are there. But of course it will be driven by the driver as its a manual. It was actually pretty good last time when I was in Hyderabad. But as I can't drive a manual - I was looking for an amt.

The nano amt ticks a lot of boxes based on the reviews I've read. Good height, ac, clearance, rear legroom, aux/usb & now with rear trunk lid + 4yr warranty & gold amc contract that is listed on their website. Not too concerned about long term reliability as I hardly would drive 2000km a year. And the price is great too - estimated 3.6 lac otr. So, I am thinking for my needs personally the nano amt ticks more boxes than k10 amt.

I can live with nvh & engine noise levels. Last time I drove a manual in hyderabad was almost 17 years back and that was the old jeep willys with no doors, ac, music , that hard joint braking clutch & you had to press a button to heat it up !!If I could take that
nvh & noise , I guess I should be ok with nano amt nvh levels ! It can't be that bad as that old jeep willy !

I read a few previous posts of yours stating that one of your friends has a nano & he is pretty happy with it and also with the tata a.s.s . Can you please tell me what tata dealer he goes to & what tata dealer would you suggest for both sales and service in Hyderabad ? With the minimal amount of mileage that I would be putting - the nano amt looks pretty appealing.

Appreciate your thoughts & advice. Thanks !
Old 6th May 2015, 07:37   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
noopster : Really? Well at least I know where to head to if I want to sell my own car!
No, not that easy ! Non-Bangalore cars get discounted in Bangalore. Even if the car is from nearby cities.
Quote:
deltheking : I am thinking of buying it instead of the k10 amt. For me , it will only be used in Hyderabad city- no highway travel .

The nano amt ticks a lot of boxes based on the reviews I've read.

I can live with nvh & engine noise levels. ,,
For city usage, and especially with today's traffic, the Nano should be just fine. The in-cabin noise is said to be a little high at higher speeds - and in city we dont get to go those speeds. Hence should not be a problem. The car is not great for highway driving, though we still see it on the highways sometimes.

Last edited by condor : 6th May 2015 at 07:44.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 08:23   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
No, not that easy ! Non-Bangalore cars get discounted in Bangalore. Even if the car is from nearby cities.
For city usage, and especially with today's traffic, the Nano should be just fine. The in-cabin noise is said to be a little high at higher speeds - and in city we dont get to go those speeds. Hence should not be a problem. The car is not great for highway driving, though we still see it on the highways sometimes.
Yeah, this was marketed as a city car and so it must be subjected to city driving conditions only. Not fair to take it on highways. All the criticism should be based on how it performs in the city.

And that damson purple color on the nano -damn that is a looker. I would hate to buy a white black or silver car. Even the papaya Orange looks good.

I hope more test drive reviews come out on the nano amt in more real world conditions. That would give a better assessment of the nano amt for day to day usage.

Hope I can make a decision on the nano amt vs k10 amt once and for all !!
Old 6th May 2015, 08:34   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
deltheking : .. this was marketed as a city car and so it must be subjected to city driving conditions only. .. All the criticism should be based on how it performs in the city.

I hope more test drive reviews come out on the nano amt in more real world conditions.
Agree. I see a few reviews that try to evaluate it like one would do a hot hatch!

The TeamBHP review is due now, and will be out soon. I want to check a few things and waiting for the TD car to be made available here at the dealership.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks