Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2016, 13:53   #346
bkc
BHPian

Which automatic Hatch as a second car?

Hi,
Need a little help in selecting a second car for my family. We are four; me, younger bro, mom and my wife.
We have a 2015 Swift ZDI and an Optra 2010 2.0 LT; Optra has served us well for 55k kms and not been used for past 2 months. I washed it yesterday and brought her back shiny, but, again it would be standing still as my brother uses his duke and I use my swift. Lately, I have some knee pain and wish to exchange my Optra to some automatic. My wife has learnt driving recently and it would be good for her to drive the automatic.

Cars short listed
1) Wagon-R AMT
Initially, we considered Wagon-R but nobody likes its boxy looks here (except me, strange that I Love the design ).
2) Celerio AMT
I went through Celerio’s review; steering and controls seem very similar to my swift and I am habituated to it. I do not like the exteriors though (personal taste, not against anyone) but, that’s not a deal breaker.

3) Nissan Micra CVT
Already suffered a lot with ‘Pulse’; It took 2 months to service, after an accident by my friend. I wish my car to be available most of the time. I had the non-ABS version of the car and it was the sole reason for that accident (skid marks were for several meters when I went to inspect the accident spot, thanks, nothing happened to anyone.)
Which Automatic Hatch?-img_20150304_193321.jpg
Which Automatic Hatch?-img_20150304_193331.jpg

4) Polo GT TSI
The best car but swift is taking the role of that. We need a small car for city run about and polo will be too much for that purpose. (I heard the average to be 10-11 kmpl which is too expensive)

Open for other options as well.

Price range
We have the Optra for exchange, plus, some exchange bonus and discounts.
Precisely ‘exchange value’ + ‘cheque’ = 7 lacs INR
Any idea on resale value of 55k run magnum diesel vehicle??

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations
I do not want to gamble here, as Chevrolet and Renault has already shown me what it is to be, without a car for few days.
Chevrolet sources a bit fast but, parts are too expensive. I need the tiny parts to be available easily. I do not have the plastics which sit behind rear quarter-glass panel in my Chevrolet and it is not available anywhere; the cabin is an eye-sore with exposed metal in that location.

Average distance travelled per month
My swift has done 35k kms in 20 months. Expect this car to do some 1000kms maximum, per month.

Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)
The car will be mostly used in Bangalore city conditions and rarely on highways.

Chauffer driven / self-driven
Self-driven

Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
Yes, the vehicle will be used by me, my wife and rarely by my brother.

Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
Low running costs and now that Optra goes, we need a bit more capacity boot than swift.
My business is construction and my car will be very untidy inside-out. I clean my car only when my mother shouts or my brother takes it to college. Prefer black interiors (beige is ok as it is dust colour) and white or silver coloured vehicle as cement/robo-sand dust will fly around the construction site.
I always drive with AC and constant 25 degrees, ACC is recommended??
I am in for safety so, ABS is mandatory.

How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)
This car will never be sold as it is secondary car and used for daily runs. Resale is important but if the other car servicing is easy and have good number of plus points, I do not have issue with less resale.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bkc : 6th December 2016 at 14:17. Reason: adding images and added bold headings
Old 6th December 2016, 16:50   #347
BHPian

Re: Which automatic Hatch as a second car?

Honda Brio has good review on Team-BHP and fulfills all your requirement, though the mileage may not be great as it uses conventional transmission.

A CVT transmission is what you need which is smooth, economical and reliable, ideal for city conditions. But the choice here is limited considering you have already ruled out Nissan Micra. Baleno is good choice but may be a little too big for your requirements.

Maruti has lot of options in AMT transmission and Wagon R would be best choice. I personally own the manual variant, and can say looks apart, its a fantastic car in every other way. The seating space, ride height, airy cabin, easy to maneuver and park makes it no-brainer, and this being a Maruti A.S.S and resale value would be great.

If the family is not convinced, Celerio is next best option as it shares same transmission and engine as Wagon R.

The downside is not so smooth AMT transmission, but have a test drive for all types of transmissions and decide for yourself. Who knows what you may end up liking. Also the build quality is not great compared to other manufacturers, but for city conditions this may not be a big deal.

I would personally stay away from DSG and DCT transmissions due to reliability concerns and jerkiness in stop-go traffic.

Last edited by born_free : 6th December 2016 at 17:18.
born_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 17:12   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post

I have some knee pain My wife has learnt driving recently and it would be good for her to drive the automatic.

1000kms maximum, per month.

The car will be mostly used in Bangalore city conditions and rarely on

Low running costs
My business is construction
Try Nano AMT.
Sitting position is high, has good Ground clearance for your construction site visits, will be very cheap to buy and Tata service is improving as we speak.
Very compact size, easy for your wife to drive and park.

Wait for TIAGO AMT , it is also a good car which should come with ABS.
Wait for IGNIS AMT.
Old 6th December 2016, 18:34   #349
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Honda Brio has good review on Team-BHP and fulfills all your requirement, though the mileage may not be great as it uses conventional transmission.
I love the Wagon-R but, it needs some interior refresh and Honda Brio is a good car but worried about the average. I'd consider taking a test drive of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Try Nano AMT.
Sitting position is high, has good Ground clearance for your construction site visits, will be very cheap to buy and Tata service is improving as we speak.
Very compact size, easy for your wife to drive and park.
Yes, Tiago is a well-built car and if AMT is available, I'd look no further than this. Nano is ruled out for some safety reasons

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2017 at 09:35. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 6th December 2016, 18:45   #350
MAS
Senior - BHPian

You should try the Grand i10 auto Asta variant. It comes with frugal engines, safety features coupled with all the bells and whistles.

The after sales service is also very good.
Old 6th December 2016, 20:14   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love the Wagon-R
Honda Brio is a good car but worried about the average.
Nano is ruled out for some safety reasons
Nano may be safe as a WAGON R, only major difference being lack of ABS which is one of your must haves.
In fact Nano is as wide as Wagon on inside, I can keep its parcel tray inside my Nano.
Even if you don't buy it do try it out by hiring one of those Zoomcar Nano's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
You should try the Grand i10 auto Asta variant.
He is worried about average in Brio, not sure grand i10 is a good choice in AT then.

TIAGO AMT is round the corner as is IGNIS which would fall in your budget, so I believe you should just wait for some more time.

Last edited by silverado : 6th December 2016 at 20:16.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 23:38   #352
BHPian

Ignis AT should fit the requirements very well. Service costs won't be high, looks good and its interiors are a breath of fresh air.

The other alternative I can think of is Brio as mentioned above. I own a manual and the mileage is very good. I have also seen ownership threads of Brio AT here and they are also very happy. Check this comprehensively updated ownership. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...da-brio-v.html

I would stay away from Hyundai AT. i10s have been famous to give single digit FE.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 19:33   #353
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Hello Guys,
Need some advice.

Off-late my wife decided to drive car on her own & not depend wholly on our driver.

Presently I have with me:

1. BMW 3 GT – 2015 (for weekend trips, long highway drives)

2. Honda City - 2011 (my work horse), I am planning to replace her after 7-8 months with Creta.

3. Alto 800 LXI – 2013. This car mainly lies with my in-laws, due to my limited parking space.

My wife learned driving with the alto. I can make out she is struggling with gears/clutch due to over congested & poor Kolkata roads. So I need an automatic for her. After reading through various reviews and owner ship post here, decided to go with Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Auto. Took a test drive today, and both of us liked this car in terms of equipment, space & ease of driving.

Now my concern is, Grand i10 is due for face-lift in Jan/Feb 2017. As a result before any negotiation, I am getting 80,000/- discount in various form from dealer (INR 7 lakh on road with BTB insurance & 3rd year ex.warranty). They do have stock cars too.

Should I go for it or wait or live with Alto?

Also checked:-

1. Ford Figo DCT Auto, wife ruled out, as visibility for her is not great, (discount offered only INR 10,000). Too powerful for her to manage in city and close to 8.57 Lakh on-road.

2. Honda Brio VX AT: Very poor in boot (useless), no discount at all.

3. Tried 2nd hand market (like Brio AT), but 2nd hand car market in Kolkata is very poor & not a safe bet (experienced this week).

I am not considering any other cars at this point.
Old 12th December 2016, 09:38   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Now my concern is, Grand i10 is due for face-lift in Jan/Feb 2017. As a result before any negotiation, I am getting 80,000/- discount in various form from dealer (INR 7 lakh on road with BTB insurance & 3rd year ex.warranty). They do have stock cars too.
Don't think you need to worry too much about the facelift. The grand i10 is pretty well loaded and I think you will be missing anything significant. Also Htundai are not known for upgrading engines or transmissions.

It's a good car for your use case.Do go for the top variant with abs and airbags.

If your wife is comfortable with the alto, also worth looking at the Alto amt.

Edit: As per this report, the facelift launch may happen this month.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4102406

If that is the case,maybe worthwhile to wait to see what it brings and if nothing significant, can leverage for more discounts on the outgoing model.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 12th December 2016 at 09:42.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 10:27   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
He is worried about average in Brio, not sure grand i10 is a good choice in AT then.
If FE is to be looked at:

1L K Series , 1L Renault, 1.2 KSeries, 1.2 iVtec, 1.5 (Ford) are the option.

There are a couple of of 800cc options as well. I would still vote for 1L AT options as best possible cross of power and FE.

From that list yes, Wagon-R is best option. Kwid is also worth a look.
Old 14th December 2016, 12:42   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda Brio is a good car but worried about the average. I'd consider taking a test drive of the same.
Brio is great as a city car. We recently got one for my dad but I end up using most of the time because I find crawling in first gear traffic (which I have to for upto 45 mins-1 hour every day) a boon with an AT.
In the above conditions I am getting roughly ~11.7 kmpl (12.5 kmpl as per the MID)

Which Automatic Hatch?-img_20161213_114602794_1.jpg

Even though it is not very VFM , its got good quality inside out and is pretty much the cheapest proper AT hatch you can buy with safety features today.
Old 16th December 2016, 16:54   #357
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Asking this on behalf of a friend of mine. He wants to go for an automatic hatchback and is deciding between two options - Polo GT TSi and Baleno CVT. He has driven the Polo and loves the automatic transmission. He is yet to try the Baleno but he knows it will not be as good as Polo (CVT vs. DSG). Baleno is close to 9 lakhs OTR whereas Polo is around 10.6 lakhs. He is planning to buy the car in 2017.

Can you guys help in choosing the correct car? He is single and will travel alone most of time. The price difference between the two cars is huge! Also, he currently owns the Polo Manual (not sure whether petrol or diesel) and will be selling that car.
Old 16th December 2016, 17:28   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Asking this on behalf of a friend of mine. He wants to go for an automatic hatchback and is deciding between two options - Polo GT TSi and Baleno CVT. He has driven the Polo and loves the automatic transmission. He is yet to try the Baleno but he knows it will not be as good as Polo (CVT vs. DSG). Baleno is close to 9 lakhs OTR whereas Polo is around 10.6 lakhs. He is planning to buy the car in 2017.

Can you guys help in choosing the correct car? He is single and will travel alone most of time. The price difference between the two cars is huge! Also, he currently owns the Polo Manual (not sure whether petrol or diesel) and will be selling that car.
The fact that he currently owns a Polo and is pleased with A.S.S made him consider the GT TSI.
It would be difficult to move from VW product experience to MSIL product experience.
I think that he would be happy with the GT TSI (especially while travelling alone with that grin on his face!)
Old 17th December 2016, 21:07   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

I was juggling the exact 2 cars on shortlist.. but there was really no comparing the GT TSI's mechanical brilliance to the Baleno. The 7S DSG is in a league of it's own with a perfect match to the 1.2 Turbo

There are definitely a few features that the POLO lacks compared to the Baleno but for overall driveability & this being for a self driven car then the GT TSI wins hands down.

I booked mine last week.
Old 9th March 2017, 15:59   #360
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

I am not sure if this is relevant to the thread, so apologies if this is OT.
I will be in the market to buy a hatch around 10-11L and I was keenly waiting for the Baleno RS.

Some things that leave me a bit disappointed:
1. Detuning - Having a 110 BHP car would have been cool and don't quite like that Maruti chose to detune it to get a better mileage figure. But I am still ok with it.
2. Interiors - I would have loved if the RS would have had some a different interior trim as compared to the regular Baleno. But I am still ok with this as I quite like the interiors of the regular car.
3. Price - Yes, Maruti could have priced it a wee bit lower. Who does not want to keep some money in the the pocket. But I am still willing to forgive Maruti and would have bought the car... But I won't because:
4. No Auto - With growing traffic situation in metros I am looking for comfort, convenience and at the same time a bit of performance. I had decided my next car will be an auto but with Balena RS available only in manual, Maruti has dashed my hopes and has lost a potential customer.

Now you may say, why not the Polo. Well, my reasons are:
1. It is cramped: My last car was a Punto and I now want a car that is spacious which the Polo is clearly not.
2. Reliability: Or rather the lack of it, the forum is littered with reports of DSG running into trouble. For me, I want a car that gives me a piece of mind. Though having owned a Fiat I can perhaps relate to buying a brand not particularly known for customer service (my Punto ran faultlessly, and I had no reason to complain, mind).

Now my options are rather limited, get a Honda City V CVT by extending my budget significantly or forget about getting an auto hatch.

Regards

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 9th March 2017 at 16:01.
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks