Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 13:23   #331
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
What are real-world mileages for AT cars. I am interested for a AT hatchback car for my dad. probably grand i10.
we are getting close to 9 kmpl for out Santro AT. extreme bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 19th January 2016, 16:33   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are real-world mileages for AT cars. I am interested for a AT hatchback car for my dad. probably grand i10.
CVT or DSG hatchback with a kerb weight of about 1.1 tonnes should give you around 9-13 in Hyderabad. Out on the highway they ought to give you a LOT more. However if it is a torque converter you should not expect more than 10
Old 20th January 2016, 00:38   #333
BHPian

Quote:
8-10 kmpl strictly in city traffic with AC for my Grand i10 AT.
Old 20th January 2016, 08:37   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
CVT or DSG hatchback with a kerb weight of about 1.1 tonnes should give you around 9-13 in Hyderabad. Out on the highway they ought to give you a LOT more. However if it is a torque converter you should not expect more than 10

Why so. All CVT's have a Torque converter for initial coupling, and many Nissan Sunny and Micra with CVT & Torque converter return 15 or so on highways. My Ecosport with a dual clutch returns 9 to 10.5 in city traffic, and 13-15 on highway, but my coleagues Creta AT with 6 speed box and torque converter returns 13-14 in city, and 16 on highways.

Rahul
Old 20th January 2016, 10:53   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Why so. All CVT's have a Torque converter for initial coupling, and many Nissan Sunny and Micra with CVT & Torque converter return 15 or so on highways. My Ecosport with a dual clutch returns 9 to 10.5 in city traffic, and 13-15 on highway, but my coleagues Creta AT with 6 speed box and torque converter returns 13-14 in city, and 16 on highways.

Rahul
I believe Torque converters have higher losses in transmitting the power and hence lesser efficiency, though I am not sure how much is the difference as compared to CVT/DSG.

Also your Ecosport AT is a petrol while the creta AT is diesel and for a Diesel, 13-14 in city and 16 on highways are on the lesser side compared to creta manual.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:43   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
I believe Torque converters have higher losses in transmitting the power and hence lesser efficiency, though I am not sure how much is the difference as compared to CVT/DSG.
All CVT's have torque converters to isolate them from engine when vehicle is at idle. In normal driving they couple or lock up at 1200RPM. Above this speed there is no difference in transmission loss. When coupled to low power engines such a lock cannot be installed, or can operate only in higher gears, that's why larger cars with torque converters are only fractionally less effecient than equavalent manuals, eg Corolla or Elantra(P), but smaller engines with converters have a drop upto 30% in city use.

Rahul
Old 20th January 2016, 14:25   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post

Rahul
Well that was just my personal experience. I did not know that CVT's use a torque converter too but having driven a friend's Micra CVT for quite a while, I stand by the figures I quoted. It may be 15 or so on highways if you travel fast since small motors struggle at higher speeds, however if you plan on sticking to the speed limit, you can easily get 18. Mastering a CVT is perhaps (atleast when it comes to me) the toughest task but once you do, the efficiency difference is quite obviously visible. Comparing an Ecosport DCT with a Creta AT driven by two different people is a bit unfair don't you think? Firstly your car is a petrol while your friend drives a diesel that weighs about the same if not less than the Ecosport (cannot put an exact figure to it since Hyundai doesn't seem confident enough to share such specs) secondly you may have very different driving styles. In my experience, I have learnt that with automatic trannys, even a quick-shifting DSG, one has to alter their driving style to suit the drivetrain and in general, one needs to take on a smoother driving style with these automatics in order to achieve decent mileage figures.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th January 2016 at 14:28.
Old 14th February 2016, 19:08   #338
BHPian

Car swapping (VW Polo 1.2 High-line to Polo GT)

Background and the story so far..

Last year for my wife’s birthday June 2015, we got her a Polo 1.2 P Highline, the 2007 Honda City Vtec had played its role and the family needed a new car. I have been driving Laura AT from 2010 and I think she still has a few years more before I look at a change…So we were use to the European fit and finish.

After taking test drives of most of the hatch’s we decided to go for the Polo… post lots of deliberation we opted to go for 1.2 P Highline and not the GT (AT). Now, 7 months later the Polo has done 3500 Kms. And, I am in the market to swap this with the new Polo GT.

Need help and advice on what will be the best way to get this done?? I have called the VW dealer and asked him to work on swapping the cars, take the Polo and replace it with the GT and adjust the difference in the EMI’s. My existing Polo is under finance from VW finance and I intent to take the GT from them too. My questions to the members would be

What is will be the best way to have this transaction structured?
While the dealer is working on the financials, he did hint that I should be ready to let go of few lacs as the resale value of the Polo is poor
Can I look at approaching VW, as I would like to upgrade to a better product (to the GT)
Thoughts and view are appreciated?
Old 14th February 2016, 20:51   #339
BHPian

Re: Car swapping (VW Polo 1.2 High-line to Polo GT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
Background and the story so far..
Last year for my wife’s birthday June 2015, we got her a Polo 1.2 P Highline, the 2007 Honda City Vtec had played its role and the family needed a new car. I have been driving Laura AT from 2010 and I think she still has a few years more before I look at a change…So we were use to the European fit and finish.
I'm not experienced about all this and I know this is unsolicited advice, but I don't feel it is a good idea. Either way, I assume you have carefully thought about it and so this is what I'd do:
  • Contact your CA or accountant (could even be a friend) and ask them about the financial aspect of this. Make sure you trust the person as revealing each and everything would only make it better for you.
  • Don't blindly trust the dealership or VW and don't take a compulsive decision. They will try to sell you what might appear like a good deal at first but it may not really be a good deal. This is why I'd talk to an accountant or CA or a lawyer friend (if you have one).
  • Research the price your car goes for and compare it to the deal your dealer is giving. If you are getting a better deal, tell them about it. Maybe go to a few used car dealerships and ask them to value your car. You will get to know how much it is really worth.
  • Ask for a special discount since you are an existing customer and are upgrading. They should be able to do this.
You talked about approaching VW because you are upgrading. What do you mean by approaching? Aren't you already doing that? Usually, VW would offer a better deal knowing you are upgrading.

I'm no expert, but this is what I'd keep in mind. Best of luck!

Last edited by ampere : 15th February 2016 at 07:51. Reason: Reduced quoted content
Old 15th February 2016, 00:43   #340
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Amit I have no experience to offer in this matter, however having read your post, driven the car and read many other opinions on it, I really feel the forum ought to make a thread for cars that must never ever be bought. The Polo/Fabia 1.2mpi would have to be somewhere at the top of that list absolutely awful IMO. Anyway, you sure have made the right choice in the end to upgrade to the tsi
Old 15th February 2016, 19:39   #341
BHPian

Thank you for the tips, they are valid, will keep a close eye on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
What do you mean by approaching? Aren't you already doing that? !
I have reached out to VW via the customer support email address and I do not know who else to approach? Who would be the right person, Sales Head? I don't really know?

Thank you, IshaanIan, I know the 3 pot motor may not be the best, but I didn't find it that bad. If all goes well, the TSI will be a sweet ride.
Old 15th February 2016, 20:16   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
I have reached out to VW via the customer support email address and I do not know who else to approach? Who would be the right person, Sales Head? I don't really know? .
Definitely not Customer Support. I'd contact the Sales Head or Sales Team and ask for guidance. I wouldn't trust any dealership as they tend to resort to unethical ways at times (based on what I've heard), even if they have maintained a good track record in your books. Best of luck and do keep us updated! It would help people who are in a similar situation as you in the future
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:32   #343
BHPian

I was able to close the deal on my own accord, however I did reach out to various people in VW, they were quick to respond, but not much of help. I have booked a Flash Red GT TSI and I get the beauty home next week, shall post details.
Old 9th March 2016, 14:31   #344
BHPian

I am looking at a Polo, and when searching the net on Polo, I land on this page on MSN which talks of an upgrade.
http://www.msn.com/en-in/autos/news/...Gb&ocid=HPCDHP

I am aware there was a minor upgrade in Feb this year. But is anyone has any info if a new Polo is in the offing ?
Old 9th March 2016, 15:15   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I am looking at a Polo, and when searching the net on Polo, I land on this page on MSN which talks of an upgrade.
http://www.msn.com/en-in/autos/news/...Gb&ocid=HPCDHP

I am aware there was a minor upgrade in Feb this year. But is anyone has any info if a new Polo is in the offing ?
We have a thread running on the topic http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-spotted.html. No confirmed reports as to when it will come. Maybe around the same time the Vento gets it, or post that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks