Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:59   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Methinks the rear 3 quarter and the tailgate are Jazz inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Observe carefully the pic below;
Isn't its tail-lamps resemble somewhat to that of the VW Polo in its design & outline, though functional elements are somewhat superior in Polo.
I don’t think it resembles the Jazz, or the Polo from behind. Looks pretty original for me. Maybe a hint of SX4 there (see attached)
Name:  sx4.jpg
Views: 6023
Size:  21.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Jazz is 3900mm in length. This new car will be an additional 100mm long, which is not small when a car's interior space is considered.
This image of Jazz shows there is some serious amount of space at the boot end for another row of seats. Think of the extra space when an additional 100mm comes!
Also, this new car's second row leg space won't be as spacious as Jazz. Coupled with the extra height compared to Jazz, there will be enough space for the third row, IMO.
+1. Just for comparison sake, here are some pictures of a Honda MPV (Freed) which is based on the Jazz. Both cars are identical in width (1695mm) and the Freed is 4215mm long with a wheelbase of 2740mm (v/s 3920 & 2500 for the Jazz). Pictures courtsey: www.oneshift.com
SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30-freed-resized20091214221806207.jpg
SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30-freed-resized20091214221746942.jpg
SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30-freed-resized20091214221620569.jpg

It will be interesting to see how Suzuki is packaging this new offering.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:30   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ MaserQ,

+1, It achieves most things an Innova will without having to be as big, heavy and expensive while saving on running costs.
Ah that's an exaggerated comparison there though I get your point, comparing to the Innova's space or highway manners or practicality is a little over the top bro. But this concept of under 4m people mover has its own share of advantages such as light weight, nimble size, easier city runs and parking like you have mentioned So for highway, this small MUV cant replace the Innova I personally feel.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is there any posts quoting the use of Swift / Ritz platform for this car - not sure I missed it? From several websites I went thru, which mention this car is based on SX4 platform. It makes more sense for the people mover to be based on SX4 platform. I am still not able to visualize how a <4m car can accommodate 3 rows of seat ?
Post No 74 has a link to the autocar article which mentions that this is based on a stretched ritz platform. The trick is to keep it below 4 m and save on the additional excise duty enabling them to price it competetively.

@ Aravind

I agree a less than 4 meter MUV will have its own disadvantages vis a vis the larger ones. If this indeed stays under 4 meter then I guess Innova is in a different league al together and any comparison between the two may be un called for. This may serve as an ocassional 6 passenger carrier for short trips within the city or a 5 seater with a large boot for highway outings. I expect the dynamics to be decent considering the lower Center of gravity compared to conventional MUVs. Of course all this is pure speculation.
Old 4th June 2011, 09:39   #139
Senior - BHPian

@Chevelle, did the MPV look just a bit longer than the Ritz (if the MPV is less than 4 metres length, as being discussed here) ?

Difficult to imagine this MPV being under 4 metres length, seeing the length of the bonnet in the Autocar scoop pic, as well as considering the 3 rows

I have a hunch that the length will be around 4300 mm.
Old 4th June 2011, 22:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

Well the dashboard and steering is a straight lift from the all new Swift. Seems like the Riii to me.
Old 4th June 2011, 23:07   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
@Chevelle, did the MPV look just a bit longer than the Ritz (if the MPV is less than 4 metres length, as being discussed here) ?

Difficult to imagine this MPV being under 4 metres length, seeing the length of the bonnet in the Autocar scoop pic, as well as considering the 3 rows

I have a hunch that the length will be around 4300 mm.
its definitely less than innova and xylo. and a bit bigger than swift/ritz. chances are it is less than 4m.
Old 5th June 2011, 00:47   #142
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really a good move by Maruti Suzuki. Am sure if this is launched it will definitely give a decent competetion to the Innova and the Xylo. The only downside to this car is the lack of (or the absence rather) a boot which is one of the important criteria of a MPV.

What India does need is a good looking and decent performing people mover which offers ample space like the Toyota Qualis or the Chevolet Tavera.

In one word, what India needs is - The Toyota Hiace.
Old 5th June 2011, 08:10   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hiace is a people mover, but that is more like tempo traveller type van. Yet to see it is used as a private car .
But yes, it will be a big seller if introduced in India.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th June 2011 at 08:14. Reason: Additional comments added.
Old 5th June 2011, 10:08   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is really a good move by Maruti Suzuki. Am sure if this is launched it will definitely give a decent competetion to the Innova and the Xylo. The only downside to this car is the lack of (or the absence rather) a boot which is one of the important criteria of a MPV.

What India does need is a good looking and decent performing people mover which offers ample space like the Toyota Qualis or the Chevolet Tavera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Hiace is a people mover, but that is more like tempo traveller type van. Yet to see it is used as a private car .
But yes, it will be a big seller if introduced in India.

Damn Toyota's policy of not launching it's commercial line to keep the premium brand name. The Hilux would be a huge hit and sound the death knock of Traveller and Winger,even though it's twice the price of the above two.
Wonder what's stopping Toyota Avanza ,Suzuki APV?
Old 5th June 2011, 11:03   #145
Senior - BHPian

Whether its stretched Ritz or not, I really dont care as long as they are benchmarking against the Jazz. The Jazz is 3900mm as romeomidhun noted, and we all know how miraculously spacious it is. With another 100m left, a sub 4-mtr MPV isnt as ridiculous as it initially sounds!!

Lets wait and watch - the proof is in the pudding!
Old 5th June 2011, 13:23   #146
BHPian

Quote:
This new MUV is going to be much smaller than the Innova/Xylo and is bound to have a smaller boot considering the size difference, with all 3 rows up it should provide the same amount of boot space as shown in the Honda Freed pics posted earlier. So the new RIII should only be considered as a 5 seater vehicle which provides an option to seat 7 people when required.
Old 5th June 2011, 20:05   #147
BHPian

Looking at the pics, I feel there is every chance to use a sandwich chassis structure (A la A class) for the MUV. It is wide and tall and short overhangs.
A sandwich structure where Engine is below the Cabin and sandwiched between the floor plan and cabin just like in the A class. The 1.3L DDiS will be a super neat fit and could engage a front wheel drive. This would make the structure safe and light but tall (a side effect). The suspension setup would be tricky and yeah a layered floor plan might make it a little costlier also

But what this chassis structure does is, it leaves acres and acres of passenger room in a neat small package. Similar to cab forward design in some respects.

I am not sure but a google search on sandwich chassis structure should suffice to know more about it. Have to check if this is discussed in tbhp forum.

I think based on this the break up the approx 4000mm(total length) that this MUV is going to get are thus.

Front Overhang (300mm)
Wheelbase (3100m)
Rear Overhang (300mm)

I know it does not add up to 4000mm .
Old 5th June 2011, 20:42   #148
Senior - BHPian

@ figo_mba,

Maruti is unlikely to use a sandwich structure. Firstly they are both very expensive and complex to develop, especially when it comes to dynamics something that Mercedes struggled with (infamous elk disaster at A class launch). In fact for the upcoming new gen A & B class, they are dropping the sandwich structure to a conventional front wheel drive mono chassis.

Maruti have already disclosed that they will be using an existing platform (SX4) for the Rlll. But now looking at the interiors and the rumoured sub 4 meter length I think this could be based on the new Swift.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:29   #149
BHPian

Agreed. The point here is with the last row in, if you want to decently seat people not stuff them, I feel the mentioned platforms might just fail. So the mention of a sandwich platform. An extreme cab forward design could also do the trick. Since the car is out in flesh its only a matter of time before it hits the streets and we all get To know the specifics.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

Maruti, please give us a decent MUV with car like dynamics! And please plonk that 90bhp VGT from the SX4, which should be easy considering that the SX4 diesel has not been a runaway hit. And dont do a 'kizashi' by pricing it too high!
7-8 lakhs OTR for the mid variant diesel should be great VFM and will set the sales chart on fire. Please remember that there is a mini xylo in the near future too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks