Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 20:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Face-Lift (2012) Spotted for the first time in India on Pg. 2

Hyundai designs seem to have become repetitive now. What can be perceived from the pictures is just the front bumper has been made to look like a fish mouth and the headlamps are same as i10. The side profile remains the same. The rear tail lamps only seem to have a redesign and nothing more to offer.
A clear picture of interior would give a insight if any changes have happened or at most they would have changed the dash board color in the name of face lift.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

The front looks eonish to me now. i20 sells well, i am not sure why they would need a facelift now? They could have focussed on interiors and probably provide a rear AC as standard across all models.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:07   #33
BHPian

This now looks exactly like the Fluidic Verna. Infact the verna is nothing but the i20 with a boot but very effectively executed. with the new front facia i20 will very much look like the hatch version of the verna
Old 20th December 2011, 21:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Here are some clearer pics of the i20 Facelift

Source
The nose now looks more like Eon.
I am not very sure if it looks better than the current version.
Family looks is a good concept but identity might get lost in process
I asked my dealer to hold the booking till the Jan end.
Two things hyundai needs to completely address
- Steering solution
- More powerful AC.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:30   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The front looks eonish to me now. i20 sells well, i am not sure why they would need a facelift now? They could have focussed on interiors and probably provide a rear AC as standard across all models.
Or maybe aim to improve the car's dynamics. The steering-issues could be addressed, and the suspension could be improved. Also, I've noticed quite a lot of NVH in a friend's i20 that has clocked a little over 10k in one year. When hatchbacks like the Punto, Jazz and Polo can be engineered and refined to match the sedans in the segment above, I'm sure Hyundai can correct the few flaws that the i20 has.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:54   #36
BHPian

I've driven my friend's i20 quite a lot, and while it's quite a good package in toto, these are the improvements I'd like to see:
- A better AC is an absolute necessity!
- More power in the petrol, bring back the 6-speed in the diesel
- Address the rattles
- A proper MID
- A louder horn
- Black interiors instead of brown (I wonder if Hyundai would have the nerve to sell the car with a brown dash anywhere other than India!)
- At least some steering feedback
- A tauter suspension
- Centre armrests
- Better and bigger alloys

I think the current car looks better than the facelift and the first (pre-chrome!) one looked even better.

Last edited by one-77 : 20th December 2011 at 22:03.
Old 21st December 2011, 07:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
I think the current car looks better than the facelift and the first (pre-chrome!) one looked even better.
Couldn't agree with you more, we have the first gen i20 asta and its aged very well so far. The brown-esque interiors are actually not that bad, the chrome interior panelling might look dated in a few years. But then again, thats just me talking :P

-Siddharth
Old 21st December 2011, 10:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post

Couldn't agree more with you one-77 on all the points except for few IMHO.
I have used your points but have only taken the ones which would be best if it comes as OEM. The others, I think we can manage to source it ourselves.

The points that are an absolute Mandate for Hyundai to address with the facelift are :
- More power in the petrol
- bring back the 6-speed in the diesel (though can live with 5 Speed if the rest are addressed)
- Address the rattles
- A proper MID
- Black interiors instead of brown (I wonder if Hyundai would have the nerve to sell the car with a brown dash anywhere other than India!)
- A tauter suspension

And please Hyundai just do most of us a favour and avoid "Chromming" up I20 this time around.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:23   #39
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Couldn't agree more with you one-77 on all the points except for few IMHO.
I have used your points but have only taken the ones which would be best if it comes as OEM. The others, I think we can manage to source it ourselves.

The points that are an absolute Mandate for Hyundai to address with the facelift are :
- More power in the petrol
- bring back the 6-speed in the diesel (though can live with 5 Speed if the rest are addressed)
- Address the rattles
- A proper MID
- A tauter suspension

And please Hyundai just do most of us a favour and avoid "Chromming" up I20 this time around.
please also add point for Hyundai to price spare reasonably. Do you know Hyundai i20 fuel pump and injectors cost whooping Rs.1,60,000/-?. AbhiJ i20 had Injector and Fuel pump failure for which he was quoted Rs.1.6 lakhs for replacement. Thanks god he had extended warranty because of which he was not asked to pay anything but imagine owner who has to pay 20% price of the car for fuel pump failure. I think some one from Hyundai or its dealer network should jump in and explain the situation before it gets out of hand and Hyundai starts loosing customers in India because now days, more and more people search internet and reads team-bhp before buying cars in India.

Last edited by Max : 21st December 2011 at 15:31.
Old 21st December 2011, 17:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

If they are already road-testing this, wouldnt it be displayed in the auto-expo 2012 along with Avante?
Old 21st December 2011, 18:43   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks sufficently revamped to be a significant face lift. Also seems to move towards the family look of new Fluidic Verna even more.

Should do well, hope they have sorted the lifeless steering issues and get this one rattle free.
Old 21st December 2011, 19:19   #42
BHPian

As long as i20 is churning good numbers, I don't think hyundai will go the extend of having drastic changes.
As per me the changes SHOULD be :
- Fluidic front end,rear end getting minimal treatment.
- Change in color combination of the interior.
- VVT 1.2 engine from i10
- Some changes in equipment levels.

They may find the permanent solution for AC and steering rattles.
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The steering-issues could be addressed, and the suspension could be improved.
Unless Hyundai completely changes the steering system design on the i20, the steering rattle issue will not go away *permanently*. The ugly truth is that the i20 steering has design defects, which is the main cause of the steering rattle issue. Installing plug and springs, changing steering rack/column and what not will not address the issue.

In the last three years, Hyundai has failed pathetically and were unable to address the issue *permanently* , I seriously doubt their ability to address the issue in the facelift now(unless of course, they change the design for the steering). I suspect the issue will get carried over to the new model unless this is done.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:34   #44
rmk
BHPian

Been following this thread for a while. The pictures posted in the beginning of this thread is different from the ones spotted in India. The first one is Hyundai Grand Avega, i remember reading a thread " hyundai grand avega- the i20 successor in teambhp itself. Just google for avega and you'l see the sharp lines on the back, and the eonish rear tail lamps. I dont think avega is gonna make it to india as the new i20.

But see the picture posted by the Indian Autos Blog. No change on the side character lines. A, B, C pillars all the same. Changes on the front (fluidic- god..they are so serious about their fluidic styling. )and rear tail lamp only. The test mules have similar side character lines as the pic posted by the indian autos blog. So thats how its gonna be.

Fastrack, a program by ASIANET in kerala, the reporter claims that he has seen the new i20. Looks completely different, and the dashboard has completely changed. Lets hope they'd bring black-beige combo and dashboard styling similar to that of the new verna.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:53   #45
BHPian

From the lines as visible in the picture , changes look more subtle. Its shouldn't be 'all new' as the reporter claims.
All new dashboard ?!
Something to do with steering issue ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed