Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 00:43   #121
BHPian

Without a diesel engine, in todays world,hmmm it will be difficult time for this ford. Especially with the global tension rising, and the deregulated petrol prices. Crude had already touched 102 a barrel.
Old 6th January 2012, 07:25   #122
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

looking forward to check it out , when bout its to be in production guys ?
Old 6th January 2012, 08:12   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Worldwide, in which other vehicle is this engine/ engine family used? If it is already in use, where is it manufactured? In what quantities?
The said engine was launched in June 2011. Here is a news bit : Ford Rolls Out Fuel Saving 1 Litre EcoBoost Engine - Singapore Motoring News - Oneshift.com. Hope this helps.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand such a small engine capacity in an SUV
For one I did not like the front grill, looks too huge and feels like it will devavour anything or everything that comes in the way. Any ideas of how the rear view feel is coz looking at the spare tyre location does not seem the view would be great. My feeling by no way it looks like a compact SUV.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:07   #125
Senior - BHPian

It looks pretty promising. Will be interesting to see how much of the concept makes it to the production line. Launch it quickly Ford!
Old 6th January 2012, 09:26   #126
BHPian

I would like to join the side of people who like this car so much that they would consider this (and probably buy) to join their garage the next time they do the rounds shopping for a car(mini SUV).

This one no doubt looks brute and even though the street version is not going to look exactly like this I am all in to buy this one when it is available and if it is available at the speculated price of below 9.5L.
What remains to be seen is whether the price of the Fiesta hatchback and this is gonna be close and how Ford positions these in the market.
I also feel that the Ecosport is more like a hatch with a heavily raised suspension but then it looks like an SUV for 5 people and I am happy with that (for the price point).

Kudos to Ford for discovering this segment earlier on. Lets hope they can capitalize this early start and they don't get the pricing wrong this time around.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:50   #127
BHPian

I too am floored with the looks of this. The size is perfect for someone like me who wants to own an SUV, but cannot afford to do so due to space and parking constraints in Bangalore.

The engine sounds good on paper, a good alternative to the diesel mania. Hell with the FE of diesel, I'm cancelling my swift D and booking one if priced right (read 5-7 lakhs)
Old 6th January 2012, 10:40   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I too am floored with the looks of this. The size is perfect for someone like me who wants to own an SUV, but cannot afford to do so due to space and parking constraints in Bangalore.

The engine sounds good on paper, a good alternative to the diesel mania. Hell with the FE of diesel, I'm cancelling my swift D and booking one if priced right (read 5-7 lakhs)
AS Per the interview with ford on CNN IBN , this will available only by the year end@ 7L
Old 6th January 2012, 11:31   #129

An absence of a Diesel motor at launch won’t be taken leniently by an Indian consumer, especially considering the current market sentiments. While the Petrol engine might be a serious improvement over Ford’s current power-trains, it would need serious efforts to convince the target customer so let’s wish that Ford preps it’s 1.5-litre / 1.4-litre TDCi motor for a parallel launch. Personally I feel the honchos @ blue oval have played their cards right by targeting this segment and being a Fiesta (Indian 1st gen) owner I truly believe they have the necessary tools to make this a competent product.

The 1.0-litre, 3 cylinder engine specs are just apt if not mouth watering. With torque peaking at 1,300 rpm and 118ps it should be a boon at mundane city traffic and overtaking on highways but might red line tad earlier and the NVH can be disturbing when hi-revving. If only Ford sources the 1.6 gear box from Classic.

I so much hope Ford retains the alloys and the wheels to the final product and from what it appears most of the exterior design except for the Headlamps & front Grill might / should live through as well. Though not a big deal, I feel the spare wheel should be placed beneath Or covered. As for the interiors it will only be right to assume that most of the latest Fiesta’s interiors might get leveraged.

Last but not the least from being saved from another kick to its belly, Ford needs to do what they did with Figo and price this product right. May be I might buy it then, after all I have been holding down the temptation of changing my ride for too long now (5 years).
Old 6th January 2012, 12:11   #130
BHPian

Is there a Diesel version of the Ecosport available? Is it planned for later or not at all?
Old 6th January 2012, 12:15   #131
BHPian

Good as a new segment. But here is what I don't like from the photos (initial impression) or rather I wish it was like that.

1. Front visibility - If the sitting is sedan like and not tall boy design you won't be able to see anything in the front for few hundred metres. In India this is no - no.
2. The whole roundy feel - I am stuck to square I guess. As someone suggested - Ford could have beefed up the Fusion instead of vertically pulling up the Figo
3. Rear windows - too small. I feel clastrophobic in all the new cars in the rear seat because of this design
4. Rear windscreen - again too small and high. Visibility will be affected
I hope Ford provides cameras all around.

But overall I like the new look "unban SUV" design. Tail lamp is very BMWish

Diesel engine is must.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:20   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is there a Diesel version of the Ecosport available? Is it planned for later or not at all?
In today's time, everyone is going for diesel. And knowing the tensions that are prevailing worldwide as well as the deregulation in india, it will not be wise to not go for diesel option. The petrol prices are surely headed north in the coming days. It will not be good times for this ford without a diesel option.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:21   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I fail to understand such a small engine capacity
Its a 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder Turbocharged EcoBoost petrol engine equivalent to the 1.6 litre conventional engine. This was exclusively mentioned at launch. Dont worry about the power, it surely will deliver and pull
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 13:15   #134
BANNED

Just a couple of clarifications.

1. The ecosport will also launch with a 1.5 tdci diesel motor along with the petrol.

2. The 1.0 l ti-vct engine is actually more powerful than the 1.5 ti-vct in the fiesta. It produces more torque but most importantly peak torque of 170Nm (much more than the fiesta's 146 Nm) will be available from 1300-4500 rpm and will also produce 200 Nm of torque on overboost.
In simple words this new engine will be quicker and faster than the fiesta engine and will also be much more frugal. I got all this info from a seminar that we had today. Also the engine has several high tech features like direct injection, turbo charging and variable valve timing aka ti-vct and is very very light.
Mustang.101 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 13:19   #135

Wow! This is positively yummy looking!

On looks alone this looks like a winner for Ford. Hope they don't do a New Fiesta on the pricing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks