Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 12:24   #76
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview : Auto Expo 2012 --

Its a good looking car if priced right and yes with a diesel option, but with a 3 cyl, petrol should be economical as the name suggest. Any comparism in size in relation to the Premier Rio, as the Rio is seriously a small mini suv (if i can risk calling it that)? apologies if i already missed a post on this on the earlier pages...
Old 5th January 2012, 14:37   #77
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview : Auto Expo 2012 --

Any news about the launch date?

I am wondering if this a production ready or the concept.

The way the ecoboost engine is marketed it looks like ford will launch the petrol model first and then subsequently launch diesel.

The design looks promising except the grill.

-AM
Old 5th January 2012, 14:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

If, even 50% of this axctually makes to the production line, then this would grab my interest for sure. Only if Ford doesnt mess up with the pricing, like they did on the new Fiesta.

1l 3 Cylinder generating more than 115hp is simply awesome! Hope the diesel is equally powerful.

Shall keep a close watch on this thread.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:04   #79
BHPian

While we are on the topic of Ecoboost engine, it in fact would make sense for Ford to replace their entire line up with this engine at different tune levels. Say, the Fiesta Classic and Figo can get a 98-100 bhp variant and the Fiesta and EcoSport get the 120 bhp versions. By doing this:
a) Ford can save a lot of over heads by rationalizing their operations related to petrol engine manufacturing
b) make a hot hatch of Figo while enjoying the excise and FE benefits thus increasing the sales
c) have a lot more volumes of the same engine to play with there by reducing the per unit cost and hence saner pricing of the respective petrol models
d) more importantly happy customers :-)
Old 5th January 2012, 15:06   #80
BHPian

Neatly done by Ford. Will open up the compact SUV segment but only if Ford prices it well. I wouldnt pay more than 7-8 lacs for a 1Lit Suv despite the claimed 120 BHP from the Eco Boost engine.

Ford hasnt done themselves any favors by pricing the Fiesta a segment above and a new Fiesta is extremely rare on the streets compared to the Verna.

However, considering this is way off the production version, we can expect the styling to be a lot less edgy and the engine to be a bit lower on the power. Btw: Is this engine being used anywhere else? Or completely new powertrain?
Old 5th January 2012, 15:17   #81
BHPian

This was not part of my original "I'm excited about..." list, but now I'm totally in love with this car. It looks muscular. The Fiesta underpinnings will ensure that it's a good handler. The high ground clearance means that it will be a good bad-roader. And the claimed power density of the 1.0L Ecoboost engine is awesome (118 bhp / 170Nm). To put this in perspective, these power figures are higher than a Honda City. And peak torque will be available right off the bat (1300 rpm).

I hope the production version does not deviate too much from this concept in the looks department. I also hope that Ford don't detune the power output of the engine.

I'll have mine in blue / black please....

P.S.: In a couple of pics, I can see that the Ecosport has scared a Chevy up a wall!

Last edited by amitg79 : 5th January 2012 at 15:23.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:29   #82
BHPian

For everyone (like me) curious about this engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.com
1.0 L EcoBoost I-3

Ford has announced a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engine for the EcoBoost family developed at Ford's Dunton Technical Centre in the UK. Production is to start in April 2012. The 1.0 comes initially in two versions; a 74 kW (100 PS, 98 hp) and a 92 kW (120 PS, 118 hp). The 120 PS version will deliver a maximum of 170 Nm (125 lb-ft) from 1,300-4,500 rpm and 200 Nm (147 lb-ft) on overboost, which makes for a broad torque curve when compared to on-road diesel engines. The engine block is cast iron instead of aluminium for up to 50% faster warm-up. Due to natural vibrations of the 3-cylinder design, the flywheel is unbalanced (unlike the traditional method with counterbalance shafts).
Source: Ford EcoBoost engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, Actually the peak torque is NOT 170 Nm. It is 200 Nm. This means that the engine provides at least >170Nm Torque from 1300-4500. That is actually a very good powerband.

By comparison, the Honda City makes peak torque of 146 Nm@4800 RPM while having a power output of 118 Ps.

This engine in the 74kW / 98BHP / 100Ps state of tune will find a willing home inside a Figo/Fiesta Classic engine bay and also help in reducing production costs of the 92kW / 118BHP / 120Ps EcoSport due to economies of scale.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:56   #83
BHPian

is it a 4 x 4 ? with a low / high gearing ratio?
Old 5th January 2012, 15:59   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
is it a 4 x 4 ? with a low / high gearing ratio?
No. It will be at most on-demand AWD. It has Control Trac II system I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Control Trac II was a Ford all wheel drive system based on a viscous coupling unit. The viscous coupling replaced the typical center differential used in four-wheel drive applications. The system worked normally in front wheel drive but in addition to the front wheels being driven, a shaft is powered that runs to the viscous coupling in the rear. If the front wheels slip, the viscous coupling progressively releases torque to the rear wheels. Additionally, the Control Trac II system provided a mechanical lock of four-wheel drive though there was no low range provided by the system.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th January 2012 at 16:00.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

I may be alone, but the ecosport pictures from the other thread, where the front was a little toned down, looked much better to me. It looked much more balanced than what we are getting to see here. I dont like either the headlamp cluster design nor the front grill. Also noticed the high bonnet line, which kind of spoils the stance of the car.

Rear profile is probably the best with the spare mounted on the tailgate.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:07   #86
BHPian

I did some quick calculations based on one of the side profile photos. Considering that dimensions are likely to be distorted in photos, this method is not very reliable, but still I tried to guess the overall dimensions w.r.t the alloys, assuming 16 inch size. My calculations tell me this:

Length including spare tyre: around 3900mm
Wheelbase: around 2400mm
Height: around 1600mm

Again I want to repeat that these numbers may be indicative only and actual dimensions could vary by +/- 20% margin.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:07   #87
BHPian

An article in the paper mentioned that the expected price is 6-8 lakhs. Wonder where they got it from?
Old 5th January 2012, 16:08   #88
BHPian

As a current owner of what is now called the Fiesta Classic , 1.6 (105bhp) petrol I would love to have this ECOSPORT. This mini-SUV rocks in the looks department compared to the Maruti Alpha. The new Fiesta's look never clicked with me but this Concept EcoSport was love at first sight. Guess we have a long wait on our hands and as everyone has said, hope FORD prices it right.
Hope someone can score some pics of the interior.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I may be alone, but the ecosport pictures from the other thread, where the front was a little toned down, looked much better to me. It looked much more balanced than what we are getting to see here. I dont like either the headlamp cluster design nor the front grill. Also noticed the high bonnet line, which kind of spoils the stance of the car.

Rear profile is probably the best with the spare mounted on the tailgate.
No you are not alone
The pics shown in the other thread and also in last months cover of Autocar was the 2011 (2010?) model sold in Brazil. That had much more cleaner lines and looked more handsome than this monster. It seems that there is an unwritten rule that the concept vehicles have to necessarily look ugly!
Old 5th January 2012, 16:15   #90
Team-BHP Support

I don't know what this hoopla is, over diesel engines.

Sure, petrol prices are sky-rocketing with every passing month, and the cost of a full tank of petrol is eye watering. But in a market like ours, the average personal diesel/petrol car is driven for roughly 50k-100k kilometers before it is sold. And petrol variants of the same car are generally quite cheaper than the diesels, that are dearer to the tune of a lakh and even more in several cases.

Over a certain period of time and distance, petrol cars and diesel cars would cost pretty much the same, when taking all prices into consideration. Provided the petrol car in question is a fuel-efficient example, like a Honda or a Maruti.

If Ford promises to deliver great FE figures (theoretically, the EcoSport should be able to) thanks to that little 3-pot mill, it would be a great alternative to a diesel engine, it should be able to provide the same sort of efficiency and cost pretty much the same over the years, and be far more eco-friendly than engines that run on the dirty-fuel.

Can't wait for the EcoSport. Very promising prospect. Just hope Ford prices it right.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th January 2012 at 16:35.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks