Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 20:34   #1576
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Hi Mas,

Did they say about the availability of the display vehicle. Here in HYD they are confident about getting it in November itself.
Here the sales team is talking about December 2012 or January 2013.

IMHO, Ford should launch the car in Dec/Jan, instead of making the display vehicles available a full quarter before the launch. Based on my observations, i feel there will be many people who will shift to the Duster after just taking a look at the Ecosport, especially if the interior is as per the Freestyle version i saw in Brazil (no-so-good quality).

Ford's strength is in the driveability of the car and with no test drive vehicle, they will drive the customers away.

I wish Ford pays attention to three things before launching Ecosport in India
a. Interiors - Brazil's TITANIUM's interior (which is at par with the New Ford Fiesta's interior and better than the Freestyle version).
b. Suspension - Softer suspension without compromising driveability and car control
c. Pricing - Do NOT pitch the car against the Duster. Please price it lower.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 21:44   #1577
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS

IMHO, Ford should launch the car in Dec/Jan, instead of making the display vehicles available a full quarter before the launch. Based on my observations, i feel there will be many people who will shift to the Duster after just taking a look at the Ecosport, especially if the interior is as per the Freestyle version i saw in Brazil (no-so-good quality).

Ford's strength is in the driveability of the car and with no test drive vehicle, they will drive the customers away.

a. Interiors - Brazil's TITANIUM's interior (which is at par with the New Ford Fiesta's interior and better than the Freestyle version).
b. Suspension - Softer suspension without compromising driveability and car control
I don't think the Ford guys can fall any lower than the quality of the Duster interiors.
Interior design and quality is pretty much the reason why there isn't a Duster parked in my house.

Last edited by agambhandari : 8th November 2012 at 22:01.
Old 8th November 2012, 21:56   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari

I don't think the Ford guys can fall any lower than the quality of the Duster interiors.
Interior design and quality is the main reason why there isn't a Duster parked in my house.
This may just be the life line for Ford. I'm very confident that they will play the price card well. Mini suv is hotter than ever in India. Personally, i feel ecosport has better looks than duster. Let's not judge the success even before it's launched.
For all that I have seen, most experts get our markets wrong. Example : lot of pundits, wrote off Dzire ;but now we know how well its sell.
Fiesta new model got rave reviews but it's doing terrible.
God knows how Scorpio or xuv clicked; one dances all the time while the other has too many niggles.
India is a complex market, very few get it right.
I'm waiting for ecosport with at option, since I need one badly.
Old 8th November 2012, 23:18   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

They will not launch the car before February, that is for sure. They invited Jayalalitha to inaugurate the production of ecosports and that is in February. So the customers will get the car only in either late January or in March. I think here also they will have two interiors. One for the lower end models and one for the high end models.

Suspension I think they will tune well for India roads.

And Lastly on the price, this time they will not mess. if they mess, then they are biggest blunders of the world. Secondly the Ford people are saying they want to have number game (Profit from quantity) with ecosports. And they are saying that they want to repeat another Figo. So my heart is saying that it will be a killer pricing
Old 8th November 2012, 23:19   #1580
BHPian

Looking at cars that have come in this year, I would say the time to buy the Ecosport would be six months after launch. By then Ford will have begun to give freebies and the true worth of the car would be known.
Old 17th November 2012, 08:48   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I don't think they would be able to price it lower than the Duster. The Ecosport is 100kg heavier than the Fiesta, on which it is based. I think that the Ecosport's BOM would be very similar to the Fiesta's because almost everything, including the interiors and the engine (diesel) are the same. So, I don't see a reason why Ford will be able to price it lower than the Fiesta, except for the lower excise duty. That saving, I guess, will get neutralized by the BOM for higher weight. So in all possibilities, the Ecosport will be priced slightly higher than the Duster.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:08   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
...The Ecosport is 100kg heavier than the Fiesta, on which it is based.....similar to the Fiesta's because almost everything, including the interiors and the engine (diesel) are the same.....So in all possibilities, the Ecosport will be priced slightly higher than the Duster.
Yes the Engines are the same, the car is heavier too, but it would bag the excise duty benefit, which the Fiesta did not. The interiors are similar, but not the same, also the weight of the car has nothing to do with the cost, its just extra sheet metal right? Isn't the ~1640 Kg Quanto much cheaper than the Duster now? I feel Ford would do a Figo with the EcoSport, as they have already burnt their fingers with the global Fiesta!
Old 17th November 2012, 10:04   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Yes the Engines are the same, the car is heavier too, but it would bag the excise duty benefit, which the Fiesta did not. The interiors are similar, but not the same, also the weight of the car has nothing to do with the cost, its just extra sheet metal right? Isn't the ~1640 Kg Quanto much cheaper than the Duster now? I feel Ford would do a Figo with the EcoSport, as they have already burnt their fingers with the global Fiesta!
I compared products from the same manufacturer and more importantly both sharing the same platform. The excise duty difference is 12% (of the ex-factory price, I presume), which works out to roughly 60-80K. This, I guess will get offset by the increased BOM for the Ecosport.

Again I find no reason why Ford should try to undercut the low end car like Duster.
Old 17th November 2012, 10:14   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Why should the EcoSport be priced similar to the overpriced Duster? For example the Duster is billed the cheapest 4x4 in the UAE and starts at a incredibly cheap 49000 Dhs in Dubai, and yes for a 4x4, where in say a GM Tahoe costs 150,000 Dhs there.
Only in India there are enough suckers ready to part with 13lacs for a 4x2 Duster.

With a length under 4m and enough localisation, Ford can price EcoSport in the region of 6lacs ex showroom if they want, but hey!! with enough suckers around they may sell well at 10lac ex showroom too
Old 17th November 2012, 10:18   #1585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense
Again I find no reason why Ford should try to undercut the low end car like Duster.
Firstly this is a chance for Ford to amend the mistake they did with the Fiesta i.e.; to overprice and kill a decent product at the launch itself.

Secondly, why not try to undercut the Duster, which will be its direct competitor? And I don't think the Ecosport will be any high-end in comparison to the Duster.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 10:23   #1586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Why should the EcoSport be priced similar to the overpriced Duster? ... but hey!! with enough suckers around they may sell well at 10lac ex showroom too
There is no point in comparing the prices across countries. You'll end either disappointed or angry. Cars in India are relatively expensive compared to many countries and even cheap compared to some others.

From some guys working at Ford, I heard they are pushing localization to the maximum possible on the EcoSport. Let's see how much they pass on to the customers. Hope the Fiesta launch taught a good lesson.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 11:14   #1587
Distinguished - BHPian

My findings (based on speculations) regarding Ecosport India launch.

1. Ecosport is one of the MOST important launch for Ford.
2. Company pushing for maximum localisation.
3. Company has hinted at a competittive pricing.
4. I expect Ecosport to have better equipment list over Duster.

One of the problems with Fiesta was that they didn't have a basic trim to be priced at par with competition (that typical 6.99L stuff). Instead their base variant easily was at par with the specs of some mid-high variants from the competition & Ford lost the opportunity for the "price starts at ..." marketing gimmick. Yes, I also agree that a premium was charged for more than the quality provided.

The 90 bhp engine was another problem I guess, for the price offered. Localization (or lack of it) proved to be a final deterrent for a good pricing.

Now, we need to analyse how much have they improved from these "negatives". Localization is being taken care of. Engine remains the same. For the pricing advantage, they get excise benefits. Now for the marketing gimmick, they need a basic base variant to pitch against the Duster base variant.

Ford better start off with a killer pricing as this segment will get crowded in the next one year & if they price higher, they will need a negative correction which will seal the fate of this product.

EDIT:

Other reasons why they should price it lesser than Duster -

a. Duster is clearly overpriced
b. Duster should be better spacious in the second row & boot!
c. I assume Duster might still have the edge on ride quality.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th November 2012 at 11:20.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 11:23   #1588
BANNED

I just want a fully loaded EcoBoost EcoSport at under 9 Lacs(ex-showroom). and an optional PowerShift under 10 Lacs.

Ford, if you are listening, just do that, and you have a ready buyer.

I think that should be pretty easy to get.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:24   #1589
Team-BHP Support

Good points. Agree to most. I am waiting for this to be launched, not necessarily to buy it, but still... And as said by most, price the way you priced Figo.

Yes, Ford has increased price to more than 15% since the launch price, but decreasing price because a product doesn't sell to increasing price of a product which sells is different. Ford may increase if they are making loss due to pricing competitively, else they should whack competition with its pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
a. Duster is clearly overpriced
b. Duster should be better spacious in the second row & boot!
c. I assume Duster might still have the edge on ride quality.
# Duster is clearly overpriced *now*

# Yes.

# No doubts about this. Most Ford's aren't really known for their ride, Endy included. The ride is flat & undulating, but not cossetting.

Should give a very good alternative to the Duster IMO with its lesser dealer reach & waiting period.

Nissan should bring their Duster alternative ASAP.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th November 2012 at 11:27.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:49   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I don't think they would be able to price it lower than the Duster. The Ecosport is 100kg heavier than the Fiesta, on which it is based. I think that the Ecosport's BOM would be very similar to the Fiesta's because almost everything, including the interiors and the engine (diesel) are the same. So, I don't see a reason why Ford will be able to price it lower than the Fiesta, except for the lower excise duty. That saving, I guess, will get neutralized by the BOM for higher weight. So in all possibilities, the Ecosport will be priced slightly higher than the Duster.
In which case they will probably get the same numbers of the Fiesta, that to put it mildly is dismal. I doubt Ford will want another disaster on their hands so the pricing has to be for volume.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks