Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 00:28   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The Ecoboost 1.0 will be later used in other cars too. So it makes lot of sense to add this engine & localize it as much they can in the long run, for better cost advantages.
What you say is true, but if you go to see in today's scenario when cost of diesel per litre will continue being cheaper than petrol significantly, very few would actually go in for a petrol motor in the first place comparatively. Secondly, ford already has the 1.2L petrol unit in and of the Figo which was derived from the Fiesta's 1.6L unit, so that is that. Now Ford's future models line-up currently includes only the Ecosport and no other for 2013. So what I meant to say is it would be wise to initially launch with a 1.5L petrol and later on looking at the demand and possible upcoming launches from Ford, may they think of bringing down the Ecoboost.
Old 1st December 2012, 06:59   #1712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
So what I meant to say is it would be wise to initially launch with a 1.5L petrol and later on looking at the demand and possible upcoming launches from Ford, may they think of bringing down the Ecoboost.
True there may be no new models. But what I read is that Ford plans to upgrade the Fiesta hatch in Europe from 1.6L petrol to 1L
Ecoboost and also the global Fiesta. Very soon the 1.6/1.5 petrol engines would change to 1L Ecoboost.

So for that they need to start somewhere. Since Ecosport is a new product and the new engine is also being done here, it makes sense to have the
new engine on this product right from start.

But also the counter point is, if Ford sees much hiigher demand for the ecoboost outside India (which is quite likely, due to our diesel tilt), they may
channel all the ecoboost trims for export.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 14:26   #1713
BHPian

I think it is very unlikely that there will be no 1 litre ecoboost engine in India. This will be the selling point of the car. The diesel options are likely to come later on. The Ecosport will sink or swim depending on the response of the new engine. Putting old engines in the Ecosport makes it a re-badged Fusion with body changes and less space.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:45   #1714
BHPian

Taxing diesel cars is taking centre stage in many industrial association meets , like in the SIAM meeting last week. Also there were reports that FM plans to hike excise duty by 2% in the next budget. There are lots of variables for the car companies to consider for a market pleasing and shareholder pleasing pricing of new launch vehicles.
Considering the budget which will be held on 28th feb , its highly unlikely for Ford India to launch Eco Sport before the budget. And with delivery starting from April 1 2013 , the new duties will be applicable. Hence , launch may be post budget and if there is some major policy shift towards petrol run cars , who knows , 1 litre eco boost might turn into an unexpected winner.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:55   #1715
BHPian

Gentlemen, Im purely speculating here. But say that the Ecosport mid model petrol is priced at 9L OTR. Would you still buy a ecosport or would prefer a Honda City for that money?
Old 1st December 2012, 16:03   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill
Gentlemen, Im purely speculating here. But say that the Ecosport mid model petrol is priced at 9L OTR. Would you still buy a ecosport or would prefer a Honda City for that money?
any day a sedan. :-) need diesel torque for SUV. I'd like to end up in a sedan when getting dropped off at a hotel or a party. but I guess higher population has to deal with bad roads
Old 1st December 2012, 16:58   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Depends purely on your daily requirement and preference. I will prefer Ecosport but my wife will prefer a City as we both have different views towards owing a car.

Factors such as road presence, driving position and bad roads favors Ecosport over City. But at the same time, comfort, driving pleasure and handling favors a sedan.

On the price point, one may get a anti-landmine armoured vehicle for 1 crore and an imported sports car for the same kind of money.
Old 1st December 2012, 17:43   #1718
Team-BHP Support

^^ I will go out on a limb and say that the EcoSport is a great handling car, despite its SUVish stance, high center-of-gravity and tall dimensions. I haven't driven one, but I can only expect it to be good.

Theoretically, a car as tall as the EcoSport will not corner as well as a sedan like the City. But the City is a neutral handler whereas the EcoSport shares its underpinnings with the Fiesta sedan / hatch. Fiestas and Fords in general are known for their ability to tackle corners. And going by ACI reports, the EcoSport handles like a sedan. I'm almost sure that the Ford will have the better steering too. The City's in too light, kind of vague and does not inspire confidence at high speeds.

As far as ride-comfort goes, the City's suspension is frankly under-damped and perhaps over-sprung a tad. That does not make for a very good handling or riding car. To be able to exploit that chassis, you'll need to go the aftermarket route. I don't think you'd need to do that to a Ford.

That said, the Ford is stiff as per the initial-driving impressions and reports by various car-mags and the internet.

The only real disadvantage the EcoSport has is the lack of space. It's obvious that it's a cramped car and this is where the City wins.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:25   #1719
BHPian

Comparing Ecosport to City is like comparing Apples to Oranges .. Ecosport is urban SUV, so if one is looking for a crossover he should go for Ecosport else if he looking for a car .. he should go for city ...

Do we really need to debate a Ecosport vs City...
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:55   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post

I faced this. I waited for the Ecosport as a replacement for the Fusion (which has 5 mm less GC and longer length), got tired of the wait, decided to go for a change of vehicle experience after six years of Fusion ( a wonderful experience in all respects) and sold it to buy a Honda City. It is now 1000 km and I am enjoying the ride. This is one smooth super engine and has road stability. The Fusion due to its tall stance did create problems at turns on the highway and although I do not drive fast, I had to slow down. The Honda City is a great car - just as the Fusion was - only in different respects.

One is bound to get different answers therefore to this 9 lakh question. A Honda City owner of five years may go for a change and vice versa. Plus there is the question of one's age, proclivities and what use one puts the car to.
Old 2nd December 2012, 17:09   #1721
BANNED

I will buy the EcoSport. Mostly, because i have just sold my Honda City! I want to buy an SUV, no sedans right now.
P.S. If EcoSport turns out to have a major problem (at least for me and my family) , the Honda City, is our failsafe mechanism. You just can't go wrong with a Honda!
Old 2nd December 2012, 17:33   #1722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer
The diesel options are likely to come later on.
It will be a big time flop then! Based on current market conditions, don't be surprised if diesel option only is getting launched (like Honda Amaze) while petrol may come in later. I'm not saying that will be the case, just telling ecoboost engine won't be a high selling point for the car in our market.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:55   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
It will be a big time flop then! Based on current market conditions, don't be surprised if diesel option only is getting launched (like Honda Amaze) while petrol may come in later. I'm not saying that will be the case, just telling ecoboost engine won't be a high selling point for the car in our market.
Well here is some food for thought on the same front.

http://www.ecardlr.com/street-News/I...-with-EcoSport
suchit23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:14   #1724
BHPian

The way I see it - after tom-tomming for so long about the new Ecosport engine, if they do not come out all guns blazing with it - it would send a signal they have something to hide. Who wants yet another diesel car? Everybody has it. But a 1 litre engine with a 1.6 litre engine's power and lesser fuel consumption and a superb looking body - you have got me there.
frequentflyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:00   #1725
BHPian

I am waiting for the Ford Eco-sport to be officially launched before I make a decision between the Eco-sport and the Duster. I hope that Ford does come out with the Diesel Ecosport within the first quarter of 2013 cause otherwise they are going to lose a lot of customers like me to the Duster.But I have a question does considering the Eco-sport petrol ecoboost engine which Ford says will give a fuel efficiency of around 19KMPL make sense to you at the current rate of petrol and if you have a monthly run of about 3-3.5K kms?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks