Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 08:29   #1621
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Instead of coming up with Ex-Delhi prices, manufacturers should start coming up with OTR Prices in Bangalore, which is probably the highest in the country , and if it is still VFM, then surely it will sell in huge numbers across the country.
Surely that echoes the thought of most Bangaloreans who get the worst deal for what they pay the state!

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 10:38   #1622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Instead of coming up with Ex-Delhi prices, manufacturers should start coming up with OTR Prices in Bangalore, which is probably the highest in the country , and if it is still VFM, then surely it will sell in huge numbers across the country.
Very true. Look at what happened to Duster? The trim version with maximum sales potential was priced at 9.99L ex-Delhi.
Thanks to state govt. taxes, the prices went above 10L in Bangalore and as a result, state-govt got richer by at least 40K !

Thats why I mentioned that Ford should price the trim with maximum sales potential lower than 10L ex-Bangalore.
Highest trim may be costlier. This way Ford gets best of both worlds : margins as well as volumes.
But they also need to take care that the max-sales-potential-trim should be well equipped (ABS/Airbags etc).

Last edited by ampere : 19th November 2012 at 10:40.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 12:42   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Ford carries its 1 litre EcoBoost engine in an airline hand luggage and deposits it for baggage scan at airport security!

Ford has actually transported the EcoBoost engine from Detroit to Los Angeles in such a carry-on suitcase much to the surprise of the airport security officials. So compact is the motor that it sat comfortably in the plastic tray inside which laptops and electronic gadgets are normally placed for the security check!

The footprint of the 1.0 litre EcoBoost is less than the area of an A4 sheet paper and the secret behind this is the fact that the cylinders are placed just 6.1 mm apart from each other! The use of cast iron which has a better resistance to heat than the aluminium has enabled the engineers to place the cylinders so close.

Also helping the compact footprint of the motor is an unusual undersquare configuration of the cylinders (stoke exceeding bore). The motor despite its size belts out 123 bhp, thanks to one of the smallest turbochargers in the world which spins at 2,48,000 rpm, providing a boost pressure of 1.2 bars.

More details on the small wonder called EcoBoost here:

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/f...suitcase-54967
Source: IndianAutosBlog
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-1lopensuitcase.jpg  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th November 2012 at 19:06. Reason: Corrected link in post.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 20:37   #1624
vij
BHPian

Remains to be seen if Ford plays the 'innovation' card and puts up higher pricing.
Old 19th November 2012, 20:57   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Ford carries its 1 litre EcoBoost engine in an airline hand luggage and deposits it for baggage scan at airport security!
Next we'll have a picture of it on someones dining table. With a single sheet A4 paper acting as a coaster.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 22:27   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
What a superb Marketing Exercise! I'm impressed.

Without the engine head and sump, and most engine accessories taken off, I think most small bore long stroke 4 cylinders will fit into cabin baggage. But kudos to Ford for a way to market it! Amazing!
Old 19th November 2012, 23:14   #1627
BHPian

They have to go for volumes with this one, there is no other way, Ford has spent a lot of money on the Ecosport project in India and it will be terrible if the product does not get good numbers from the get go.

Do expect really killer pricing. I think comparisons with the new fiesta are apt but a lot more is riding on with this one and mistakes like the Fiesta will not be repeated.
Old 20th November 2012, 17:27   #1628
BHPian

All of us agree that the ecosport is one heck of a motor. I just hope that Ford does not charge a premium just for the technology inside it.
Ford are advertising that this engine in the long term provides a lot of cost savings because of the mileage. But if the initial owning cost of this engine itself is high then the cost saving advantage is negated.

IMO they should have launched ecosport in china first rather than launching in diesel hungry India.
Old 20th November 2012, 18:07   #1629
BHPian

I called Bhagat Ford Chandigarh yesterday, they said they are taking bookings for EcoSport. The Booking amount is 50k. But they are not sure if the launch will be on March or Feb. The personnel also told that he has got plenty of bookings; so in case you will wait till the launch you might get the delivery months later :(

I am in a fix, I am waiting for launch of ecosport so that I can make up my mind between Duster or Ecosport. The luggage space sufficiency as per my need will be deal decider. If Ecosport has enough space as per my need, I would like to book. But my problem is shall I keep 50k (No interest incurred) with the dealer or wait for the months after launch ....
rajesh.sml is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 19:24   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak

I agree. For same equipment levels, an average Indian would be willing to pay more for an SUV EcoSport than a sedan in Global Fiesta. What we're all forgetting I think is, Fiesta petrol has a 1.5 l petrol engine,and the EcoSport a 1 L di petrol heart with shorter length (is out below 4 m?). That translates to excise duty savings which should enable an aggressive entry petrol variant pricing. Imagine 6.99 lacs for base petrol and 8.5 lacs for base diesel ex Delhi. Former is a hook for prospects, and the latter fetches the moolah for Ford.
I agree. I think 6.99L would be a great price for an entry level no frills ecosport with the highest petrol variant at about 8.99L with Eco boost engine, sync and automatic transmission. This would translate to roughly 8.25L OTR for base and 10.5L OTR for the top of the line petrol. What say?
Old 20th November 2012, 19:28   #1631
BHPian

Ford India website has new details on ecosport (at least new since I checked last time). Am not sure whether this has already been mentioned before: - Some details:
1. 550 mm water wading ability
2. Side curtain airbags
3. Lots of interior storage - including space for keeping an umbrella
4. 60:40 Split rear seats
5. Key-less entry and push button start
6. ABS, EBD and Traction Control
7. 6 speed dual clutch auto transmission
8. Hill Launch assist - am assuming this is for the manual transmission model
9. Trunk capacity - 346 Lts
No mention of a diesel though - only talks about 1 Ltr Ecoboost petrol engine

Am in the market for a vehicle like this. Will wait for the launch and TBHP review before deciding on either this or the Duster

Last edited by chennai-indian : 20th November 2012 at 19:55.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 19:33   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh
I also expect 70-80 % of the sales to come from the Diesel variant as most bpeople fill consider a 1 litre 3 pot petrol too small .
Ford is planning on having 3 engine options: regular diesel engineer, regular 1.2L petrol and the 1L ecoboost petrol engine. The trick to success lies in how Ford will educate the masses on why the 1L, 3 pot ecoboost engine delivering 123PS power is the best out there.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:02   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prady16
Ford is planning on having 3 engine options: regular diesel engineer, regular 1.2L petrol and the 1L ecoboost petrol engine. The trick to success lies in how Ford will educate the masses on why the 1L, 3 pot ecoboost engine delivering 123PS power is the best out there.
I am sure you wanted to say the regular 1.5 petrol powering the fiesta. Right?
D4d-maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 20:29   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac

I am sure you wanted to say the regular 1.5 petrol powering the fiesta. Right?
Yep! Thanks for the correction.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:56   #1635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml
I called Bhagat Ford Chandigarh yesterday, they said they are taking bookings for EcoSport. The Booking amount is 50k. But they are not sure if the launch will be on March or Feb. The personnel also told that he has got plenty of bookings; so in case you will wait till the launch you might get the delivery months later :(

I am in a fix, I am waiting for launch of ecosport so that I can make up my mind between Duster or Ecosport. The luggage space sufficiency as per my need will be deal decider. If Ecosport has enough space as per my need, I would like to book. But my problem is shall I keep 50k (No interest incurred) with the dealer or wait for the months after launch ....
I say, negotiatiate with both dealers, pay 25K each, and book both. If Ecosport is good for you, cancel Duster. I guess Duster also will have a waiting period, so encash on it while waiting for Ecosport.

I believe Ecosport has boot space comparable to new Dzire? @MAS should be able to clarify as he has TDed the car in Brazil.

Edit: the first post in this page talks about 345L space (which is equivalent to Indigo CS??)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th November 2012 at 20:59.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks