Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 12:52   #2041
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
As was brought out in the initial phase of discussions elsewhere in this thread, the cover might be given only for base variants which does not sport an alloy wheel. You wouldnt like a steel rim 'decorating' the rear of your ride. Would you??

Also, as a corollary, buyers are assured of 5 alloys, which is a good thing. Unlike many manufacturers that plonk a steel rim as the spare, to save cost.

Also, have an observation with respect to the launch date. This is only my hunch though and not based on any intelligence. And let me also add that I am also looking forward to the ES as my next ride, and any delay would be a disappointment.

The availability of the ecoboost engine seems to be the contributing factor for the delay for the launch in India. Even in china, Ford has launched ES with the NA (naturally aspirated) petrol engine and the ecoboost would be available after August when the engine plant is ready.

For the Indian launch though, it will be suicidal to launch without the ecoboost engine, as lower excise benefit is only available if petrol engine is 1.2L or lower. But I suppose the ecoboost engine does not come cheap, probably due to being imported from some South East Asian country. Local volumes would not probably justify setting up capacity in India, unless they use it as export hub.

Else, why would they even provide second petrol option of 1.5L engine. Probably cost difference between ecoboost engine and the NA 1.5L engine is much greater than the excise saving of Rs.60,000.
risga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 15:00   #2042
Senior - BHPian

The Ecosport 1L turbo-petrol engine is set to deliver a mileage of 17kmpl (as per Rushlane report, here - http://www.rushlane.com/ford-ecospor...medium=twitter).

It is very good IMO considering the 120bhp engine (& performance), fatter tyres & heavy body (compared to hatches). In fact my Santro Xing is rated 17kmpl by ARAI.
Old 31st December 2012, 15:41   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Brought it closer. Not bad, eh?
Attachment 1032229
Did anyone notice that the yellow test mule has the tail gate handle integrated into the tail lamp assembly on the left hand side. Its just like it should be for a Right Hand Drive vehicle being manufactured for India.
riziali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 15:50   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The Ecosport 1L turbo-petrol engine is set to deliver a mileage of 17kmpl (as per Rushlane report, here - http://www.rushlane.com/ford-ecospor...medium=twitter).

It is very good IMO considering the 120bhp engine (& performance), fatter tyres & heavy body (compared to hatches). In fact my Santro Xing is rated 17kmpl by ARAI.
Thanks CARDEEP for posting this. i had posted the same yesterday but my post got deleted due to improper language. (Sorry GTO).
17kmpl is very good FE. I will now reconsider my decision to go for a diesel variant. My annual running is around 11000 kms.
Old 31st December 2012, 16:10   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Also, as a corollary, buyers are assured of 5 alloys, which is a good thing. Unlike many manufacturers that plonk a steel rim as the spare, to save cost.
This trend is started by the European manufacturers, who think that the roads here are as good as theirs and the spare would not be used for more than 20 km or so to reach the nearest service center to have the punctured tyre repaired and replace the spare again.

Last edited by m_upreti : 31st December 2012 at 16:12.
Old 31st December 2012, 16:13   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
Just did a quick math, with the backdrop of news that Ford dealer in nepal has mentioned that the Ecosport would be launched at ~4000000 Nepali Rupees.

Ford Figo in Nepal - 2299000
Same Variant in Bangalore OTR-608791

With this logic, the Ecosport's price works out to be ~10.59L. It is obvious that when they talk of launch price, they speak of the entry level version. This would probably put the top end to atleast 13L+
This is not a great way to estimate the launch price.

Nevertheless, 13L On road in Bangalore is not too high these days. Even the top end Verna and the likes and the Duster costs more than that.
Old 31st December 2012, 16:20   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
This trend is started by the European manufacturers, who think that the roads here are as good as theirs and the spare would not be used for more than 20 km or so to reach the nearest service center to have the punctured tyre repaired and replace the spare again.
I can only point this to cost cutting measures.

We all know that we need to perform wheel rotation evey X thousand kms.
We also know that the wheels become almost useless in 5-6 years.

So it is practical to rotate all 5 wheels to extend the life of wheels by upto 20%.

By giving this stupid steel wheel as spare, it becomes a pain to maintain and rotate the wheels regularly !!
Old 31st December 2012, 17:53   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riziali View Post
Did anyone notice that the yellow test mule has the tail gate handle integrated into the tail lamp assembly on the left hand side. Its just like it should be for a Right Hand Drive vehicle being manufactured for India.
It doesn't look so in the other pictures. Its nice if it happens but not a deal breaker.

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportbrightyellow.jpg
Old 31st December 2012, 18:22   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Fantastic FE for a PETROL. Real life figures would be 12Kmpl in CITY and 15 Kmpl on the highway ?

I am sooooo inclined towards the 120 HP Petrol.

The diesel is rated at 90 HP right ?
Old 31st December 2012, 18:24   #2050
BHPian

Though i'm sure its not a deal breaker too but the detailed discussion in the thread that went on for a while brought it to my attention :-). Just thought it would clear the air on the same. The light reflecting off the tail lamp assembly in this particular pic does'nt indicate it so clearly but the dead rear end shot definitely does.
Old 31st December 2012, 21:58   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
This is not a great way to estimate the launch price.

Nevertheless, 13L On road in Bangalore is not too high these days. Even the top end Verna and the likes and the Duster costs more than that.
Completely agree

Desperate days call for desperate measures...until Ford says SOMETHING

I always had a hunch the Titanium version would be launched under 12.5L OTR, considering Verna SX priced at ~12L, and the 85BHP RXL Duster at 12.8L, and the sibling Fiesta OTR is around that price in Bangalore. The <4m tax benefit, and increased localization compared to the Fiesta would likely (or rather hopefully) offset any cost/margin pressures.
Old 1st January 2013, 18:13   #2052
BHPian

^^ The best available deal for a Diesel Titanium New Fiesta in Bangalore is around 11.76L OTR. Would someone pay that much for a sub 4m vehicle?
It makes sense to buy an ES only if the top end Bangalore OTR is at the max 10L.
Old 1st January 2013, 21:31   #2053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
^^ The best available deal for a Diesel Titanium New Fiesta in Bangalore is around 11.76L OTR. Would someone pay that much for a sub 4m vehicle?
It makes sense to buy an ES only if the top end Bangalore OTR is at the max 10L.
How many % of the common people bother about the dimensions or length of the car? Out of it, what % of people know the tax benefits associated with the car?

If the Titanium model is priced at par with Duster top end, chances are high it will trump Duster due to the kit level. Even if this car gets 80% of the ride quality of Duster, it can be a sure shot success on account of better dealer network, LOOKS, equipment kit!

Edit:

Oh yeah! People can pay 12L for poor quality, old looking, bare minimal equipment level Duster; but Ford needs to price a much better looking, loaded to the gills Ecosport for less than 10L?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st January 2013 at 21:35.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 21:44   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How many % of the common people bother about the dimensions or length of the car? Out of it, what % of people know the tax benefits associated with the car?

If the Titanium model is priced at par with Duster top end, chances are high it will trump Duster due to the kit level. Even if this car gets 80% of the ride quality of Duster, it can be a sure shot success on account of better dealer network, LOOKS, equipment kit!

Edit:

Oh yeah! People can pay 12L for poor quality, old looking, bare minimal equipment level Duster; but Ford needs to price a much better looking, loaded to the gills Ecosport for less than 10L?
Remember Ford is looking to generate huge volumes from ES and hence price would matter a lot. The ideal price range should be from 7/8L to 12/13L. Duster was launched at a lower price and once it became a runaway success, prices increased. If both ES and Duster had launched together then I don't think Duster could have got away with the current prices.
Old 1st January 2013, 22:11   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Size (or the perception of size) does matter here. People may not go by millimeters but are smart enough to gauge whether something looks 'big enough' for the money. IMO the EcoSport is going to remain a niche car (will be happy to be proven wrong). You need that extra foot of length to do numbers @12+ lacs.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks