Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 17:20   #2791
BANNED

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Some updates from Harpreet Ford,Moti Nagar, New Delhi.
-Ecosport Diesel and Petrol to be launched simultaneously in April.
-Display in all dealerships from April
-Deliveries to begin in May
and the best part
- EcoSport to be on display at Ambience Mall 20th Feb onwards.
(It is only a display , so you can see it from the outside, according to the dealer , you won't be able to check out the Interiors. So have to wait for April to check it inside out)

NOTE: I don't vouch for the validity of the above statements, I am only posting what I have been told by the dealer.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 19:51   #2792

Spotted an orange Ecosport with the ecoboost engine near crawford market in Mumbai today, apparently it was there for a shoot (atleast that's what the driver said to me).
Also, he said to me the car would be in the showrooms by the end of March.

Looks a cracker :-)
Old 17th February 2013, 20:38   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Some updates from Harpreet Ford,Moti Nagar, New Delhi.
-Ecosport Diesel and Petrol to be launched simultaneously in April.
-Display in all dealerships from April
-Deliveries to begin in May
and the best part
(It is only a display , so you can see it from the outside, according to the dealer , you won't be able to check out the Interiors. So have to wait for April to check it inside out)

NOTE: I don't vouch for the validity of the above statements, I am only posting what I have been told by the dealer.
Got a call from ford dealer. He said the launch is scheduled by mid of march and delivery from April end.
Old 17th February 2013, 22:33   #2794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The EcoBoost engine will help Ford take advantage of the compact-car tax-provisions, i.e. small 1 liter engine + length under 4000 mm. The EcoBoost EcoSport may command a premium initially but I'm guessing the prices will drop in time, with increasing levels of localization.
So will the 1.5L Diesel. But my point is, who will buy a petrol SUV even when there is a diesel version available in market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I agree. I do not understand the pricing of cars in India (to be fair...I never did). For example, consider the price of a top-end Duster in Bangalore, it is about 20000 euros (Rs. 14L+). The cost of top-end dusters in the European region is about 14000 euros. The increase is more than 40% and this for a car that is manufactured in India ...read lesser costs for parts and labor.
Duster was launched with the top of the line model at 11.3L. So how much price is hiked within the period? I think it is a marketing strategy. They adjusted the price such that the waiting list comes down and they can produce nearly what the demand is. Works in the short run for sure but that is not a good business move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
Actually Ford should bring the top end model for around 10L on-road price and set the precedence.
I dont expect Ford to undercut Duster pricing by more than 1 L. We know how greedy they are when the New Fiesta pricing was revealed.

Here is some quick facts.
For the Fiesta Classic Base Model, the difference between price of Petrol (1.6L) and Diesel (1.4L)is 1.3L.
Now lets look at the figures on Figo. The Figo petrol should have been priced 1.3L lower than the diesel if it had been equipped with the same 1.6L Engine. But since it is a 1.2L Engine we can assume the price should be lower by another 30K. So it adds up to 1.6Lakhs price difference. But the price difference is only 1L. So somewhere ford is making a hefty profit of 60K over the other models.

-------Figo Fiesta
1.2L P 3.89
1.4L D 4.89 6.92
1.6L P -----5.64

Last edited by oxyzen : 17th February 2013 at 22:36.
Old 17th February 2013, 22:49   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
So will the 1.5L Diesel. But my point is, who will buy a petrol SUV even when there is a diesel version available in market.
My Utilization is around 7000 kms per annum and i dont see a need to invest in a diesel engine. In fact in any segment, there is no Petrol SUV.

If a Petrol Version is launched and it is even 50% as reliable as Toyota, I will buy the Top model Petrol Ecosport.
Old 17th February 2013, 23:48   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
My Utilization is around 7000 kms per annum and i dont see a need to invest in a diesel engine. In fact in any segment, there is no Petrol SUV.

If a Petrol Version is launched and it is even 50% as reliable as Toyota, I will buy the Top model Petrol Ecosport.
Then may be there are not too many customers like you in the market. As far as I see not many cars now a days above 7L are successful with the petrol options. You can refer to the sales and analysis where GTO has brilliantly pulled out some Petrol/Diesel split.

I think people are now buying diesel even if they have similar utilization like 7K a year. That is because most people who buys expensive cars want to sell it within 4-5 years and go for a new one. And if you want to sell a car in 4-5 years resale plays a very important role. And that is where diesels come in.
I had been trying to find a good Figo diesel for my friend. And trust me, the 3 years old examples carry around 1L premium over similar mileage, variant of petrol counterpart. That is exactly the premium you paid while buying the car. So you got your money back. You did loose out on the interest you saved some on fuel.

Over and above you do enjoy better performance as most diesels offer better driving pleasure due to more torque and similar power figures. Not sure how the 1L ecoboost would fare in this department.
Old 17th February 2013, 23:58   #2797
BHPian

Today in bloomberg auto show, the chap told thta Ecosport will go with prebooking route with booking starting around March '13. The lowest Petrol model is expected to be around ~5L ex show room.
Its has high level of localisation , including gear box.

Source: TV Show.
Old 18th February 2013, 00:44   #2798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It depends on the market's climate, so to speak.

If diesel prices climb steadily and petrol prices remain where they are, you could not only expect more sales of petrol variants across all models by all makes, you could expect them to hold their value better too, in the used car market.

But that's besides the point. There are still quite a few people who are ready to put their money down on petrol cars. The EcoSport's talking point, let's not forget, is the EcoBoost engine. A large chunk of the people who choose petrol cars, buy them because it works out cheaper in the long run. This is if the car is used predominantly for city commutes and does not cover much distance. Not everyone has gone diesel crazy.

Sub 10 lakh petrol cars still sell decently. The i20, the Swift, the i10, the Brio etc. People looking at these cars might be tempted to splurge a little for that added versatility the EcoSport can boast of.

Quote:
I dont expect Ford to undercut Duster pricing by more than 1 L. We know how greedy they are when the New Fiesta pricing was revealed.
Not sure if it's greed or just a string of bad strategies.

The new Fiesta is not a heavily localized product. Definitely not as much as the Figo and it probably wouldn't be as much as the EcoSport either. They had to pass on the additional costs to the consumers. I don't think they had a choice, or they'd end up making loses on every car they sell. And that's not good business sense. it is, a business, after all.

They should have done with the new Fiesta, what they're doing with the EcoSport. Localize it massively right from the start. I reckon they've realized their mistake and and aren't going down that route again.

Now I'd say they're being greedy if they manage to heavily localize the car and then sell it for an absurd amount like 14-15 lakhs (on the road) but I doubt they'd do that. My guess is the car will be priced in the bracket of 7 lakhs - 11 lakhs, which is not bad at all.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th February 2013 at 00:47.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 07:38   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Now lets look at the figures on Figo. The Figo petrol should have been priced 1.3L lower than the diesel if it had been equipped with the same 1.6L Engine. But since it is a 1.2L Engine we can assume the price should be lower by another 30K. So it adds up to 1.6Lakhs price difference. But the price difference is only 1L. So somewhere ford is making a hefty profit of 60K over the other models.
It is a fact that prices are also a factor of market demand. So even @ 14+ lacs a piece If duster sells like hot cakes then why not.....right 'Renault'!!!

I feel it is a loss for car lovers though...
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 09:33   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
and the best part
Do you know if it is the Ambience Mall in Gurgaon or the one in Vasant Kunj?
Old 18th February 2013, 15:09   #2801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

In fact in any segment, there is no Petrol SUV.
There is Honda CRV. Probably you missed that
Old 18th February 2013, 15:15   #2802
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
There is Honda CRV. Probably you missed that
And also Mitsubishi Outlander, MS Grand Vitara and Reanult Duster ( few people were lucky to get it ).

Last edited by kopakabana : 18th February 2013 at 15:21. Reason: typo
Old 18th February 2013, 15:30   #2803
BHPian

I had been to Bhavna Ford on saturday for my ikon's minor repair and was pleasantly surprised to find the ford ecosport orange colour. It really looks a stunner and if ford people can manage the pricing this car will be a game changer and also a direct competition to the already hit Duster. They did not allow to click pictures but could sit inside and check it out. It seems Ford India this time looks to have a winner if pricing is right.
dkhatau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 16:29   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
They did not allow to click pictures but could sit inside and check it out. It seems Ford India this time looks to have a winner if pricing is right.
How did you feel the interiors? How was the quality of them? Were you able to identify the interiors that they have put on the company webpage?

Apologies too many questions from my end
Old 18th February 2013, 17:53   #2805
Senior - BHPian

Is an Automatic petrol version confirmed? I like to try the SUV route, but hate to invest more for a diesel which will be under utilized
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks