Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 18:00   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
White is EX and the other is VX and hence I presume.
Fair enough. In that case, I like the interiors of the basic version way better than the so called more premium version.

To me, this vehicle should be priced *exactly* the same as the outgoing (if it is outgoing) version. Its an upgraded Safari than a new vehicle. Yes, 60-70% of this SUV may be new, but junta isn't going to feel like that.

In fact, I think at times we go a little too technical and lose perspective of how the consumer will think. I don't think that junta will perceive this as a new SUV, no matter what TATA tells them.

In a nutshell, with the new Safari, TATA should look at wiping of Scorpio rather than go head on with XUV.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 13th January 2012 at 18:01.
Old 13th January 2012, 19:55   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I don't think that junta will perceive this as a new SUV, no matter what TATA tells them.

In a nutshell, with the new Safari, TATA should look at wiping of Scorpio rather than go head on with XUV.
And they need to act fast. Else M&M might kill it in the womb by reducing the price of Scorpio by a lakh or so. New Safari will then be relegated to storm in the tea cup. M&M is not expected to sit idle. They have already started offering 4x4 on Scorpio's LX variant. They might push 4x4 in Xylo too to undercut Safari price by a large amount. Any more delays and FinMin might complicate the matters by announcing higher tax on Diesel vehicles. TATA must unleash the 'Storme' before that.
BTW have they started taking bookings for Storme?

Last edited by ajay0612 : 13th January 2012 at 19:57.
Old 14th January 2012, 20:47   #318
BHPian

Dont think they have started taking orders. Was at the dealership yesterday for my safari booking. They lack details on the storme. Tatas have not started training the dealer staff on the new launch. Frankly the guy seemed surprised when I said I intend to wait for the storme. I wonder why.
nairanupg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 20:58   #319
BHPian

Today I called up KHT Motors and they told me that the launch will be April and they are taking advance booking. But they are not sure about the actual price. Even I called up concord motors and they also told me that actual launch will happen on April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
Dont think they have started taking orders. Was at the dealership yesterday for my safari booking. They lack details on the storme. Tatas have not started training the dealer staff on the new launch. Frankly the guy seemed surprised when I said I intend to wait for the storme. I wonder why.
g_prajeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 22:33   #320
BHPian

Remember how many months after its unveiling the Aria was actually launched? Most of the Auto Expo launches are like that. The Touareg, Camry, Ertiga, all are months away.

If I remember correct, the original Safari was launched a long, long time after it was shown, and photos were released in the media.
Old 15th January 2012, 02:22   #321
BHPian

its gonna be in new financial year thats for sure, else they would have launched in Jan itself and started taking bookings by now. Does not make any sense to launch in coming months (feb or march) just before fin year closing,new fin year policy changes internal and external may interfere with launch, pricing etc otherwise.
Old 15th January 2012, 22:47   #322
Senior - BHPian

Heard from a dealer that the existing Safari will continue to be sold in just one variant - in 4x2 and 4x4 as well.

Storme will be available for bookings at least from April, per the dealer. Since we know that Dealers cannot really be relied upon for concrete information, does anyone have any info to the contrary?
Old 17th January 2012, 13:58   #323

Wow, the new Tata Safari looks somewhat like a range rover. Nevertheless, it has not gotten a sort of sophistication to itself. Its not bad for a sequel to good looking car. I have read somewhere that this Safari is based on the Aria platform. Is it true? If so, is it possible that some of its off-road capabilities could have been compromised in favour of making it more comfortable on the road. Also, since it shares a platform (apparently), will it cheaper than the discontinued safari?
It must be said, the old Safari evoked an image of Bruce Willis in 'Die Hard 4'. This new one is Daniel Craig in 'Quantum of Solace'.
Old 17th January 2012, 16:56   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingerfinger View Post
Wow, the new Tata Safari looks somewhat like a range rover. Nevertheless, it has not gotten a sort of sophistication to itself. Its not bad for a sequel to good looking car. I have read somewhere that this Safari is based on the Aria platform. Is it true? If so, is it possible that some of its off-road capabilities could have been compromised in favour of making it more comfortable on the road. Also, since it shares a platform (apparently), will it cheaper than the discontinued safari?
It must be said, the old Safari evoked an image of Bruce Willis in 'Die Hard 4'. This new one is Daniel Craig in 'Quantum of Solace'.
I crawled under the vehicle,and did not find anything added which would reduce its offroad capabilities. So fear not, this is no Aria. It retains the low range 4x4 and now comes with a better switch
Old 17th January 2012, 17:10   #325
BHPian

I think the only reason they may be holding back for the bookings must be some more additions to the product before making the final specs. Mainly around the ICE/infotainment system. A standard single din cd player will be too less for this product. That too when the Vista and Manza get integrated ICE with blue 5 and all. The VX model they had on display didn't have the headrest mounted screen that we have already seen in current Safari.
One thing that I observed from the badges on the display cars at expo is they had a additional suffix. e.g VX showed VX and P as suffix and EX showed EX and A as suffix. See below highlighted pictures. I asked the gentleman at the expo whether "P" or "A" has any significance but he did not give satisfactory answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-dsc_2286.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-dsc_2294.jpg  

Old 17th January 2012, 17:54   #326
Senior - BHPian

The "p" refers to reverse park-assist and "Safari" embossed headrests.

The "a" refers to ABS/EBD.

I still cannot understand why the Storme has exposed hinges on the tailgate when the earlier Safari had proper concealed cladding.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th January 2012 at 17:55.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:06   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I still cannot understand why the Storme has exposed hinges on the tailgate when the earlier Safari had proper concealed cladding.
For some, it adds to character and Macho and most important RAW look. But do not laugh out of this answer.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:08   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The "p" refers to reverse park-assist and "Safari" embossed headrests.

The "a" refers to ABS/EBD.

EX with ABS/EBD is a good news. Its a good combination EX 4X4 + ABS !

Btw, the existing Safari has the hinges outside. However, the top one is covered by a small railing piece that connects to the Spare Wheel in tail gate.
I dont remember the lower one, lazy to get out to see how it is

Prem.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:10   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
For some, it adds to character and Macho and most important RAW look. But do not laugh out of this answer.
Then these hinges should be on the old Safari, because the Storme is anything but macho/raw/whatever.

Does anyone have anything new on the probable launch date, price, etc. please? TATA is really trying people's patience to the limit .... 3 years, and much ado about nothing.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:14   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I crawled under the vehicle,and did not find anything added which would reduce its offroad capabilities. So fear not, this is no Aria. It retains the low range 4x4 and now comes with a better switch
I had a question that I posted earlier as well. When I saw the underbody video of the new Safari, it seemed that the fuel tank(under left side seats of the middle row) was the lowest part underneath. Atleast that is what I saw in the video.

What's your observation on this? Is the Fuel tank neatly tucked underneath and is not easily prone to damages? If it is too low, it may be a deterent for serious offroading. Isnt?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks