Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 01:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Ertiga is a nice 5 passengers + luggage and occasional 7 seater, but it seems that this car cannot give Innova a real challenge in space department.
+1. A good way to look at Ertiga! It is a good 5 seater - more or less like a regular hatch, with good luggage space. Additionally you have the last row for 2 more passengers [or 3 small kids, maybe?], if you ever need it, which is a nice option to have if you ask me. For couples living with parents, 2 kids, this should serve the purpose of accommodating them all nicely, once in a while.
SunilM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 02:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

I cannot see how Maruti can price this 2-3 lakhs higher than the Swift which was the original premise for launching this vehicle. At 10 OTR even for the diesel, this is doomed. If I were to guess, I would say at the max 9 lakhs OTR for the top end ZDi diesel and even that wouldn't exactly be VFM.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:21   #33
BHPian

If priced around anything close to 8.5 on road (Diesel variant) this is going to be a huge huge success. Waiting for the official review.

OT: The bike in the pic where you've shown the rear ac vents...which one is it?
Old 7th January 2012, 02:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread
The Ertiga will be a major blow to the likes of Innova and Xylo.

As far as I can see Innova has a couple of advantages against the Ertiga:
[*]Space: Its a larger vehicle that was designed around accommodating 7-8 people in comfort rather than trying to pack 7 seats into a hatchback design.[*]Build: The body on ladder construction means the Innova is more ideally suited to Indian road conditions. Its safer, sturdier and should outlast the Ertiga on a long term basis.The Ertiga though looks far more suited for family ownership and apart from the above two factors it wins every other comparo hands down:
[*]Compact: This does means its more cramped inside but 70-80% of the time people drive their cars alone or maybe with one or two passengers. In this context the Ertiga is easier to drive and park, especially taking into account female drivers and cramped cities.[*]Mono chassis: While not sturdy as a body on frame a monocoque has its own advantages, better handling, lighter weight etc...[*]Fuel Efficiency: The MJD engine along with a lighter body means the Ertiga will easily be more fuel efficient than the Innova. Rising fuel costs are a huge factor these days.[*]A$$: Being a Maruti it will be cheaper to maintain and has a far greater service network.[*]Price: The cost advantage is too big to ignore especially since the Ertiga covers most things the Innova does anyway.The only saving grace for the likes of Innova and Xylo is the fact that Suzuki will struggle to meet the Ertiga demand, expect a waiting period immediately after it goes on sale. After the D'zire Maruti has once again designed a car round Indian demands and requirements, they have a winner in their hands.
Major blow to Innova and Xylo? Don't think so. Even though Ertiga is a seven seater, it can't hold candle to Xylo and Innova in space department. Ertiga is nothing but a stretched swift. Look at the pictures and you will see last row has a minimum leg room and is good for kids only.

AS far as engine is concerned, small 1.3 MJD producing only 90-bhp can't be compared to Innova's 2.5 l engine which has much better drive ability due to linear power delivery.

IMO, as I said before, Ertiga will be successful and it will compete to mini-Xylo and large hatches like Jazz and i20 and not to Xylo or Innova.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 7th January 2012 at 02:25.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 02:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

What I want to know is whether the middle row can be moved back & forth for space [is it on rails] ? If not, I kind of feel that Maruti has done a shoddy job. A people mover should atleast be really good on space, in the first & second rows.

If the second row cannot be moved, how can this car carry even 5 medium sized people over long distances. I would see this as a BEST 4 adult & 2 kids carrier with very little luggage space. It may settle around 2K units MoM. I feel this car will lose out if the price comparison involves Xylo or Innova except for the city dwellers who prefer compact ones. But then what percentage of the MPV / MUV buyers prefer a compact MUV ? Most will think that, for the same price-bigger the better.

I am still so unsure how much difference can this car make to actual MPVs - very minimal if you ask me! I would straight away say that this is NO match to Xylo or Innova at any cost.
Old 7th January 2012, 05:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

@ Nitrouspower,

Innova will be more spacious, agreed. I have posted the same in my comparo.

But I disagree when it comes to driveability or power. While the Innova is powered by a more powerful engine it also weighs a lot more. The Ertiga (specs yet to be revealed) will easily be lighter by half a tonne at least vis a vis Innova.

Also the 1.3 DDis/MJD or whatever one calls it, is gem of an engine with a good mid range and produces similar torque to the 2.5 Toyota 2KD diesel. Performance wise I am sure the Ertiga will easily hold fort compared to the Innova especially due to the weight advantage.

There are plenty of private buyers after a versatile 7+ seater diesel MUV and the only quality option available in the market at the moment is the Innova, or maybe a cheaper but cruder Xylo. Now on the other hand the Ertiga is a perfect fit, its more compact, easier to drive and can carry 5+ if required.

This means the Innova will loose sales where otherwise it had no real competition.
Old 7th January 2012, 06:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga will sell well as an urban and suburban people mover and corporates will be one big customer wither directly or through travel agencies. May touch 3000-3500 monthly sales very easily. Till compact SUVs launches Ertiga could be a niche choice amongst urban professionals.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th January 2012 at 06:08.
Old 7th January 2012, 09:04   #38
BHPian

As pointed out by many here the Ertiga looks like the product offering that will take MSIL into the next years. I won't call it a game changer but it will be the right stepping stone to MSILs foray into MPV/MUV segment and may be this time around it will act as the fulcrum to crack the million bucks car market (Kizashi, Grand Vitara never made it big).
It will definitely be a competition to Xylo. I would attribute the following for the Ertiga to be a success:

1. Pricing: Most Indians have a mental note on price when they just looks at the car. Ertiga for me falls in the range of 6.8-8.5lacs on-road.
2. Its from MSIL. The maintenance is cheap and the *** is actually the best I have experienced
3. Compared to M&M (Xylo) MSIL has had a better track record on quality and definitely not the niggles that are now a part and parcel of M&M cars.
4. Even if the design is not that appealing we have seen that a decent product offering from Maruti is still hit with customers (Dzire)
Old 7th January 2012, 09:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The only advantage of Ertiga will small size and price. With 7 on board, i am sure it will struggle on highways to maintain decent speed. Don't cancel the booking yet. Wait for the price, take your family to showroom and see if they are comfortable in it. Then decide.
We have travelled 7 in a Swift LDi from HWR to Lansdowne. However 3 of them were kids :-). Did not face any problem lugging them to Lansdowne. So the Ertiga is a practical cost effective alternative for a family of 4 with occasional travel with friends/parents/ kids. It is not a rugged people carrier like Innova. It simply is a God Sent choice for us mortals who would have to hire taxis now and then merely because our tiny cars could not accommodate 6-7 persons. We can drive sedately carefully for those occasional holiday trip with friends/guests. The car can be parked in our small homes parking area too:-). That is it. Of course pricing does matter and will decide its success or failure. It must remain within SX4 category at top end.
BTW does anyone knoow the Ground clearance of it?
Old 7th January 2012, 09:55   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

My views on the same as an Innova owner:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The Ertiga will be a major blow to the likes of Innova and Xylo.

As far as I can see Innova has a couple of advantages against the Ertiga:[list][*]Space: [*]Build:
Aren't these 2 the the biggest factors for anyone buying an MPV? If I need a 7 seater to ake my whole family for those occasional highway trips also, even then there is no way I can accomodate 7 people in the Ertiga. Plus ofcourse whenever there will be 7 people there will also be some luggage along. The Ertiga to me looks at best a 5 seater. The Innova is 320 mm longer and I doubt Ertiga will be able to provide you the same comfort.

Quote:
[*]Fuel Efficiency: The MJD engine along with a lighter body means the Ertiga will easily be more fuel efficient than the Innova. Rising fuel costs are a huge factor these days.
All MPVs see sales only for the diesel variants and I don't think its going to be any different for the Ertiga. So FE may not be that big a factor since the Diesel prices are constant.

Quote:
[*]A$$: Being a Maruti it will be cheaper to maintain and has a far greater service network.[*]Price:
+1. The biggest positives are the above. For anyone needing a comfortable 5 seater with luggage space this is the car to go for.

Quote:
The only saving grace for the likes of Innova and Xylo is the fact that Suzuki will struggle to meet the Ertiga demand, expect a waiting period immediately after it goes on sale.
Lets wait and watch mate. Its too early to say what will be the market response. Let the pricing come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
If priced around anything close to 8.5 on road (Diesel variant) this is going to be a huge huge success. Waiting for the official review.
The Swift ZDI costs 7.6L OTR in Delhi where cars are cheapest. I don't see how can they launch the Ertiga diesel at 8.5L OTR. I am expecting it to touch 10L or may be slightly over it.

Last edited by drmohitg : 7th January 2012 at 09:56. Reason: Removed the extra quote.
Old 7th January 2012, 10:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Swift ZDI costs 7.6L OTR in Delhi where cars are cheapest. I don't see how can they launch the Ertiga diesel at 8.5L OTR. I am expecting it to touch 10L or may be slightly over it.
It is 6.47L Ex showroom at Delhi. How come it costs so much on road?
SX4 ZDi costs 8.76L Ex showroom. Ertiga ZDi will probably lie in the middle at Rs 7.5L Ex showroom corresponding to around 8.5 OTR max for top variant.

Last edited by ajay0612 : 7th January 2012 at 10:20.
Old 7th January 2012, 10:19   #42
BHPian

Is it a Swift, a Ritz or Jazz?? or just a stretched version of blending the three cars mentioned??

On a serious note, this could do well if priced well, cannot be above 10lakhs , should ideally be lower around 8-9lakhs (not sure if that 1lakh makes a lot of difference).

You dont necessarily need to carry 7 people on board on a MPV, the fact that it can is an added plus. Definitely see it giving competition to Innova and the likes.

Maybe there is a niche MPV market for a smaller Innova made by Maruti!
Old 7th January 2012, 10:38   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
BTW does anyone knoow the Ground clearance of it?
Tyres were 195/65 R15 GOODYEAR (from SNAPS) and 5 lugs - So it is a definite SX4 VXI tyre profile. Good thing is now SX4 VXI guys can put this alloy by quoting ertiga's alloy MGA part number

Here is my "guess".
Its a swift chasis, but borrows SX4 suspension and brakes. In fact I can see SX4 ZXi's brake system (see the big discs) and definitely should be the SX4 suspension setup too. Expect GC to be 180mm.
At the minimum (assuming swift suspension parts are used). a upsize from 185/65 R15 to 195/65 R15 indicates a rise in 7mm guaranteeing 177mm (170mm of stock swift + 7mm upsize).
These are just my wild guesses

Last edited by devsoftech : 7th January 2012 at 10:39.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 10:45   #44
Team-BHP Support

My take on the comparison of Ertiga with the likes of Innova.

Surely there will be some cross-shopping because of the lack of options in the 7-seater passenger car space. But in reality it’s like comparing a SX4 with a Corolla Atlis. Both are sedans and can seat 5, but are they in the same category?

Ertiga is a small MPV which is ideal for City dwellers that look for an added advantage of seating 7 when required. And most of the time, the folded down rearmost seats will address the requirement of luggage loading. In the international markets most of the major players have multiple options in the MPV segment. For e.g.; Ertiga sized option from Toyota could be the 7-seater Avanza.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 10:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
  • Compact: This does means its more cramped inside but 70-80% of the time people drive their cars alone or maybe with one or two passengers. In this context the Ertiga is easier to drive and park, especially taking into account female drivers and cramped cities.
On any weekday whenever I see an Innova go by, its just one person driving it. I guess those users are definitely better off with Ertiga.

Personally don't like the name though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed