Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 23:01   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Funny. The so called stonker makes just 12 bhp more than the so called measly engine, and the same torque. And the Innova with the stonker engine takes more than 16 secs to reach 100 kmph while the SX4 that uses the measly engine takes 13 secs.
My point exactly.

You seem to have missed the essence of my post. I couldn't understand why the Ertiga is compared to larger MUVs like the Xylo and the Innova. Also, you seem to have forgotten the fact that the Innova is a much heavier vehicle. It needs a larger engine to haul that weight around.

At the end of the day, the Innova's engine is a much bigger one. While it can cruise effortlessly at speeds of up to 150 km/h even with 5 people on board, I doubt the Ertiga could be quite as effortless.

What's even funnier is that you're comparing the SX4's 1.3 liter's engine, acceleration and performance to the Innova's 2.4 diesel mill.

Of course, the 1.3 is measly. I stand by what I say. It's measly. IN COMPARISON to the Innovas engine.

How do 0-100 times matter, when you're talking about MPVs? It's like comparing the boot-space of a Ferrari to that of a Lamborghini.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th January 2012 at 23:03.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 23:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Excellent. I guess the Ertiga is the closest thing to a station wagon that we'll see in the future. Perfect 5-seater with lots of luggage space (with the rear two seats folded).

It's like a Maruti Ritz station wagon!
Bang on target. A station wagon is, in my opinion, long overdue with a growing number of nuclear families now opting for inter-state trips. A hatch is inadequate for the purpose, while an Innova is either too big or too expensive. I felt it was unfortunate that station wagons never did really well here in India. I still savour memories of the incredible space that we had in our Tata Estate.

Ertiga addresses these needs really well. For the small family that needs good luggage space, the Jazz and the Ertiga are the best options. And when 5 adults and two kids want to travel together for an occasional short trip (restaurant, cinema, church/temple, etc) in one car, as opposed to two cars, the Ertiga makes even better sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
the car cannot carry 7 people and luggage at the same time. It is either 5 people with luggage (by folding 3rd row) or 7 people without luggage. So it is ideal for 5 people for long trips and 7 people for the shorter runs. Since the external dimensions are comparable to an entry level sedan, it can be used for daily commute too (unlike a Scorpio or an Innova that look too bulky for daily commute)
Fully agree with your assessment of the Ertiga and Maruti seems to be addressing the same requirements of a large section of India's population. Bigger than the Fusion and the Jazz, but smaller than the Innova.

Quote:
there are customers who have a thing for a third row seat. I am one and I like Ertiga more because it is small.
Add me to the list.

Quote:
If Suzuki can price it closer to entry level sedans (Etios / Mazda / Verito etc.), many competitors will have sleepless nights. I dont think it is unreasonable to expect the pricing to be in that level considering the available specifications (engine / external dimensions / equipment list etc).
If Maruti can somehow sell the base petrol Ertiga at about Rs 5.5L to Rs 6L (ex-showroom), which is within the base Jazz territory, I sure would be visiting Maruti's Chowgule showroom at Panjim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I personally am really looking forward to the Ertiga. I think it's unfair to compare it to an innova although it may draw away some customers away - those who don't necessarily need all the space in innova and prefer the slightly smaller dimensions and flexibility a car like this could offer.
I too feel that it isn't fair to compare the Innova with the Ertiga. The two do look similar (as seen in an earlier post), but both are totally different in form and factor. Personally, I feel the Innova is too big for a 3-4 member family and it is here that the Ertiga will score well. The Ertiga has smaller dimensions and hence, it would be more appealing for city use with occasional inter-state trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I would like this because it offers relatively more compact dimensions for everyday city use compared to innova, ability to move more than 5 people occasionally within the city, superb boot space in 5 seater format (ie 3rd row folded).
Exactly. For those who love good boot space but not a sedan (I'm one of them), the Ertiga (and perhaps, the Jazz) is a great option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
One of the better looking cars from Maruti
Yep, the Ertiga sure does look well-built from the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
I do not understand. If you are building a van, if should at least be the size of the Innova.

I expected at least the same dimensions of the Innova and the pricing of a Maruti.

Without the dimensions, why buy it at all. Just save up some more money for the Innova.
On the contrary, I'm glad the Ertiga does not have the same dimensions of the king-sized Innova. I'm happy that the more compact Ertiga caters to those who want a spacious 5-seater with excellent horizontal and vertical boot space, with the capability to add two smaller-sized passengers, if and when the need arises. For those 3-4 member families with a Rs 7-8L budget, the Ertiga is a great option.

Last edited by misquitas : 7th January 2012 at 23:05.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 23:12   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Actually I do not think it is the normal position. I guess when you want to fold the rear seats you need to remove the head rests so that you can get a flat bed. With the head rest you would not be able to get flat bed, secondly the head rest will foul the push back of the seats in front.
I was not worried about the problem with folding the seats. I was talking about how close the passenger in the 3rd row could be sitting to the rear hatch which could be dangerous!
Old 8th January 2012, 01:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
On the contrary, I'm glad the Ertiga does not have the same dimensions of the king-sized Innova. I'm happy that the more compact Ertiga caters to those who want a spacious 5-seater with excellent horizontal and vertical boot space, with the capability to add two smaller-sized passengers, if and when the need arises. For those 3-4 member families with a Rs 7-8L budget, the Ertiga is a great option.
I was with you till this last para and then it went downhill. Spacious and Ertiga? GTO categorically stated that middle seats will be swift like which is not saying much since its cramped and the last row seats will be even more cramped. How come it is spacious 5 seater? If i have to accommodate 7 without any luggage space, how will i do inter state runs? Not only rear seat people will be uncomfortable, there will be no space for luggage too. The available space is very very less. Guess one will have to get luggage rack on roof which will be unsafe and change dynamics of mpv.

I hope it comes in 7-8 lakhs budget but i have my doubts. If they price it at a little premium to swift pricing, say 20-30k, its going to be too good to ignore. If someone wants a spacious 5-seater, there are other options. For those occasional out-station trip, its better to get a rental or taxi rather than travel in this tin can.

Any one has ideas on its safety rating?

Last edited by chevelle : 8th January 2012 at 01:08.
Old 8th January 2012, 01:23   #80
BHPian

I personally loved the Ertiga. It is ridiculously practical and I am 100% sure it will sell. That said, I sincerely hope Maruti has worked on the build and ride quality.

I have a feeling they're gonna price it really well. Let's wait and watch!
Old 8th January 2012, 02:07   #81

Why is everyone here saying that the Ertiga is supposed to be a 7 seater car?, Just because Maruti said so?. That was for showing how many can the car take. IMHO given today's inflation most families have restricted to having 2 kids at the most and that makes a family of 4 which is now the current trend. Infact its mostly 1 kid in the family which makes it 3 so the Ertiga in a way will be immensely VFM if priced right for a family of 3/4. Maruti has just picked a niche segment so badly wanting a MPV bang on target.
Old 8th January 2012, 03:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbu64 View Post
Why is everyone here saying that the Ertiga is supposed to be a 7 seater car?, Just because Maruti said so?. That was for showing how many can the car take. IMHO given today's inflation most families have restricted to having 2 kids at the most and that makes a family of 4 which is now the current trend. Infact its mostly 1 kid in the family which makes it 3 so the Ertiga in a way will be immensely VFM if priced right for a family of 3/4. Maruti has just picked a niche segment so badly wanting a MPV bang on target.

bubbu64, you are bang on target too. Considering the small, smaller and smallest families around now in India, but you forgot to mention the grand pams and the in-laws who are always a part and parcel of our families.
Old 8th January 2012, 03:17   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I was with you till this last para and then it went downhill. Spacious and Ertiga? GTO categorically stated that middle seats will be swift like which is not saying much since its cramped and the last row seats will be even more cramped. How come it is spacious 5 seater? If i have to accommodate 7 without any luggage space, how will i do inter state runs? Not only rear seat people will be uncomfortable, there will be no space for luggage too. The available space is very very less. Guess one will have to get luggage rack on roof which will be unsafe and change dynamics of mpv.

I hope it comes in 7-8 lakhs budget but i have my doubts. If they price it at a little premium to swift pricing, say 20-30k, its going to be too good to ignore. If someone wants a spacious 5-seater, there are other options. For those occasional out-station trip, its better to get a rental or taxi rather than travel in this tin can.
The notion of 'spacious' is largely subjective. Having driven in our Alto since the past three years, our i10 feels 'spacious'. Other would ridicule the 'cramped' cabin of the i10, or the Swift for that matter.

So, what is spacious (or beautiful) to you may not be shared by others.

Now, the Swift may also seem 'cramped' because of its small rear passenger windows, small booth and dark interiors. In contrast, the Ertiga could well appear to be 'spacious' due to larger rear windows, huge boot (if the third row seats are folded) and lighter interiors. I see the Ertiga as mainly being used as a 5-seater vehicle with the third row seats folded most of the times, to free up a huge boot space. In this sense, yes, I will still consider the Ertiga to be 'spacious' in its segment.

I have seen a number of Innovas with roof luggage racks without any major problem. So I feel that the Ertiga could also have this feature, should the need arises.

I'm rather surprised that you have arrived at the conclusion that this is a 'tin can'. Have you seen the Ertiga in flesh, or have you indulged in armchair speculation? I'm quite interested in your justifaction of the 'tin can' theory.
Old 8th January 2012, 05:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On our last trip to Coorg (from Bangalore), we took an 7-seater Innova and thee were 2 families, each with a very small kid. Me, wife and my kid occupied the last bench and, though it was spacious, it wasnt comfortable like the middle row at all! We were been thrown around each time there was a speed breaker or any undulations on the roads (which was good only till Mysore and in Madiketi it was really horrible). So the back seat comfort is not really that great in an Innova as well. And talking about boot, we had two suitcases and a bag but the two suitcases didnt fit in the Innova's boot either! so the driver had to load them on the roof luggage tray only! and there was rains in coorg at that time!!!

the blockbuster success of Swift and especially Dzire tells it all. Space is not the important criteria for us here in India. And nowdays you see Dzires as taxis as well, and also in govt!!! Its the package that matters and the
price and Maruti knows how to pack one, especially the price and at the end of the day it ends there for most of us!
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 09:47   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I was not worried about the problem with folding the seats. I was talking about how close the passenger in the 3rd row could be sitting to the rear hatch which could be dangerous!
Good point. Normally for these hatch-based MPV’s manufacturers pay special attention on having an extra sturdy rear-end due to the reason you mentioned.

Quote:
I was with you till this last para and then it went downhill. Spacious and Ertiga? GTO categorically stated that middle seats will be swift like which is not saying much since its cramped and the last row seats will be even more cramped. How come it is spacious 5 seater? If i have to accommodate 7 without any luggage space, how will i do inter state runs? Not only rear seat people will be uncomfortable, there will be no space for luggage too.
Space is a very relative term. I have seen folks who complain about the lack of space in the 3rd row of Merc R-Class. 7 seats does not mean that this car should be the choice for interstate runs.
The available space is very very less. Guess one will have to get luggage rack on roof which will be unsafe and change dynamics of mpv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
If someone wants a spacious 5-seater, there are other options. For those occasional out-station trip, its better to get a rental or taxi rather than travel in this tin can.

Having options is not a bad thing right? And the ‘tin can’ factor. I feel this car will be as safe as the other models from the same brand, or its Japanese/Korean competition.

Anyway, just to repeat, comparing an Ertiga with a Innova/Xylo is like comparing a BMW 3-series with a 5-series and stating that the latter is bigger!
Old 8th January 2012, 10:08   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbu64 View Post
I thing Maruti understands the Indian consumers the best. They know that several small families have the need for an occasional trip within the city with more people ( read Uncles and aunts,parents/ grand parents) and don't want to buy a huge MPV like innova due to its size and price. How many times do we see Innova moving with just 2 or 3 people in it. Also in my opinion more than 50% of Innova sales comes from the Taxi segment. Ertiga is more for those families who need some extra space to carry a couple of people more within city and for occasional highway runs and need something easy to use in city. Maruti will position it for families rather than for taxis. It is a brilliant move as it has created a new segment. If priced competitively at around 8L on road for the LDi,and 9L for Zdi, it will give innova and some sedans too a run for their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I personally loved the Ertiga. It is ridiculously practical and I am 100% sure it will sell. That said, I sincerely hope Maruti has worked on the build and ride quality.
I have a feeling they're gonna price it really well. Let's wait and watch!
+1. I too loved the idea of a compact MPV. Indians will not want a 5 seater with a huge boot. Rather they would have a 7 seater even if it meant less space. From the looks of it, it looks well put together. Proper road tests can only reveal about the build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
I do not understand. If you are building a van, if should at least be the size of the Innova.

What is the point of calling it a van or MPV, if finally it seats 5 adults only which a hatchback would do. I also doubt if 5 adults also can sit comfortably if the width is the same as the Swift or Ritz. The third row of seats are mere gimmicks for kids to sit in anyway.

I expected at least the same dimensions of the Innova and the pricing of a Maruti.

Without the dimensions, why buy it at all. Just save up some more money for the Innova.

Cheers
Why do you compare it to an innova? It is a new segment. 3rd row of seats even in an XUV is limited at 13L. so what's the big deal there? Ertiga 3rd row is for kids. That still leaves space for 5 adults in the first 2 rows. This is what most families need. Space for 7 including 2 kids. Why do I need to spend 12L for that when I can get the same for hopefully a couple of lakhs lesser, which is easier to manouver and looks pretty decent and of course comes with a fuel efficient diesel. In my opinion maruti has a clear winner.
Old 8th January 2012, 10:19   #87
BHPian

If I choose to buy this car (which is very well a possibility), it would be because it is a five seater, which can act as an occasional 7 seater when needed. The ertiga will be as spacious or not spacious as a swift dzire or a fiesta classic, which ever way you want to look at it. Personally, I feel a 3 box sedan is a waste of space, in the indian context. Hence an estate (or an MPV if you may) makes much more sense, because your boot are can transform into a passenger space when needed. An Indigo marina with an additional third row makes better sense than a Indigo sedan with a "boxed" boot. Marina didn't do well, sadly, as we Indians consider 3 boxed sedans as status symbols. Hope the ertiga would change that.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:11   #88
BHPian

So everyone wants a people carrier, with space as much as innova, proven engine (reliable as well as powerful), cheap maintenance, high quality interiors all under 10lacs?

Stop comparing it to innova. Entirely different segment of both the vehicles.

I am sorry to state that if the vehicle is as big as innova, then the 1.3 multijet would be underpowered as the weight increases. Afaik, maruti doesn't have a bigger diesel engine, and if at all it plans to bring it here then everyone should forget the fact that the car will be priced under 10lacs.

Like someone mentioned earlier, this car is for maruti, what Jazz is for honda. The advantage Ertiga has is the DDIS engine and third row seats to be used, if ever required.

This car is meant to provide the space flexibilty to customers who want a car more spacious than jazz with an added bonus of a diesel engine.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:01   #89

I will you what, we are a family of four. While I dont want to go OT, the fact remains the current generation wants complete independence even from the mom, pop, in-laws et all which is why a new trend of multi storied apartment complexes for the aged, and seniors is coming up all over India.
So for a family of 4 this is just perfect and options should be given to not having the last seat row and not paying for it. There should be choices within the package and priced accordingly. And given the size and space constraints in apartments complexes the Ertiga fits well in the parking lot.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
The notion of 'spacious' is largely subjective. Having driven in our Alto since the past three years, our i10 feels 'spacious'. Other would ridicule the 'cramped' cabin of the i10, or the Swift for that matter.

So, what is spacious (or beautiful) to you may not be shared by others.
I see the Ertiga as mainly being used as a 5-seater vehicle with the third row seats folded most of the times, to free up a huge boot space. In this sense, yes, I will still consider the Ertiga to be 'spacious' in its segment.

I have seen a number of Innovas with roof luggage racks without any major problem. So I feel that the Ertiga could also have this feature, should the need arises.

I'm rather surprised that you have arrived at the conclusion that this is a 'tin can'. Have you seen the Ertiga in flesh, or have you indulged in armchair speculation? I'm quite interested in your justifaction of the 'tin can' theory.
Yes, it does vary from person to person and how one feels, but if you see width of alto and i10, you will see that i10 is wider, so it will give you spacious feeling. Same for ertiga and innova.

My friend who clicked the scoop pictures of Ertiga and gave it to me was of opinion that it is indeed a tin can, especially if you compare it to innova. His words, i clearly remember was looking at Ertiga first time was, it doesn't appear as good a built as other 7 seaters ( he was referring to Xylo at that time). He also visited Expo to look in person. Even after this if you feel i am indulging in armchair speculation, so be it. I would rely on his word any day as he is as enthusiastic about cars as we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
On our last trip to Coorg (from Bangalore), we took an 7-seater Innova and thee were 2 families, each with a very small kid. Me, wife and my kid occupied the last bench and, though it was spacious, it wasnt comfortable like the middle row at all! We were been thrown around each time there was a speed breaker or any undulations on the roads (which was good only till Mysore and in Madiketi it was really horrible). So the back seat comfort is not really that great in an Innova as well. And talking about boot, we had two suitcases and a bag but the two suitcases didnt fit in the Innova's boot either! so the driver had to load them on the roof luggage tray only! and there was rains in coorg at that time!!!

the blockbuster success of Swift and especially Dzire tells it all. Space is not the important criteria for us here in India. And nowdays you see Dzires as taxis as well, and also in govt!!! Its the package that matters and the
price and Maruti knows how to pack one, especially the price and at the end of the day it ends there for most of us!
I am not sure why are you comparing second and third rows of a car. It is bound to be uncomfortable. how about comparing third rows of different car. That will be a better answer. Any car you take, middle seat will always be comfortable compared to last row. There are exceptions like GL, Q7, QX56 etc. If you are to compare third row comfort with Aria, Xylo and then felt which one was comfortable i would have been convinced, not otherwise. How about doing the same trip in Ertiga when it is released? I am sure it will be even more cramped, uncomfortable than innova.

I agree though, price is very important and if pricing of swift and dzire is anything to go by, it will be priced reasonably well and i did mention it before, it will sell as lot if priced perfectly.

Anyways, no more comparisons with Innova, its a given fact that both don't belong to same segment so no point going back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Having options is not a bad thing right? And the ‘tin can’ factor. I feel this car will be as safe as the other models from the same brand, or its Japanese/Korean competition.

Anyway, just to repeat, comparing an Ertiga with a Innova/Xylo is like comparing a BMW 3-series with a 5-series and stating that the latter is bigger!
Yes, i agree, more the options, better choice for us consumers. More power to us.

I do hope with all seriousness that this one is as safe as other models.

Its just a small comparison about 'spaciousness' that led us to compare Ertiga with Innova. Everything else, it is given that in no way we can compare both - engine, size, practicality in which case your analogy make sense.

I am just wondering how well will this do in taxi segment and threaten current taxi king - innova.

Last edited by chevelle : 8th January 2012 at 13:21.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed