Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 11:32   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
The problem is that CRV does not have a USP. Someone with 25lakh rupee car does not have an strong reason to select CRV over santafe, captiva, fortuner. Nowadays the person can go down a segment and consider a xuv or yeti too.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
One of my friend has 2 CRV at home.
Good for him.
I had a Honda for 5 years. From relaibility perspective, I can tell you even Hyundai is as good as Honda, if not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Strange. I would have thought Maruti & Hyundai have sold maybe 10 times more turbo diesels than than all the Czech/Germans combined.
You said it. And Honda had been publicly blaming "bad Indian diesel" for not having a diesel engine in their line up. Honda has good engines, but not great - from today's standards. They have been stuck in the past for a long long time. They don't look like a tech savvy company to me anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Had a look @ the new CRV in the showroom. The main concern is that they have dropped the Ground Clearance to 170mm. The underbody protrusions, mostly in the centre of the car, were pretty bad, though covered in plastic cladding. All Honda cars have a tendency for the rear suspension to settle down quite a lot under load. So I forsee clearing of bad humps etc. to be a problem with a fully loaded car. So it definitely is only a Softroader. Definitely not to be taken off tarmac even for the 4X4 model.
Ha ha ha...
Outlander and Grand Vitara are two very good petrol SUVs out there with decent off-roading capability. And they are good looking as well.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:27   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

I had a Honda for 5 years. From relaibility perspective, I can tell you even Hyundai is as good as Honda, if not better.
I dont agree, had to sell a Hyundai after 2.5 yrs. but happily kept a Honda for over 7 yrs.
The Hyundai broke down twice, it might just be an isolated case but I have very less regard to Hyundai reliability.
Old 15th February 2013, 17:36   #138
BHPian

Cr-v

Hi Guys,

Just got back after picking up my Honda City from its 1 Lakh KM service at Sundaram Honda, Secunderabad. The new CR-V was on display and I checked it out and spoke to the sales adviser.

It is definitely a very good looking SUV, the front is really smashing, the rear has good elements individually, which don't gel that well(my opinion), but is still quite eye-catching.

Interior space is very good and all the seats are very comfortable, with good under-thigh support even in the rear. View from the drivers seat is very good, as is expected from an SUV. This model was the top-end 2.4AT and so had the touch-screen which is nicely integrated(unlike what we saw in the recent Vista D90). The plastics seem decent, not class leading, arm-rests have padding in the rear doors. What is surprising is the rest of the door plastics are quite hard, even my civic has soft touch plastic near the door handles etc.

The test-drive vehicle had not arrived yet, so could not take a test-drive. Many people in this forum have already written this car off. While I admit with the petrol-only option it is not going to sell as much as a fortuner, but I don't think there is any SUV under 25 Lakhs which can transport you over highways, bad roads, no roads in such refinement, comfort, safety while still being totally reliable. I know Honda's petrol engines are not cutting-edge and the AT is a little slow, but for most people and in 90% of the driving conditions one encounters, this will not be that much of an issue. It could have been much better if Honda managed to get that 2MT base model around 18-20 Lakhs OTR. The current prices are still pricey.

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2013 at 17:24. Reason: Please do NOT refer to cars via short-forms (e.g. T-Fort or ANHC). Full Names ONLY please. Thanks
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 18:21   #139
Senior - BHPian

Re: Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I dont agree, had to sell a Hyundai after 2.5 yrs. but happily kept a Honda for over 7 yrs.
The Hyundai broke down twice, it might just be an isolated case but I have very less regard to Hyundai reliability.
Too each his own,i drove a hyundai for 1.3L kms,and in those 1.3L kms,i never had to crank her twice to start her up.Look around the forum and yourself before typing blanket statements.
Old 15th February 2013, 19:08   #140
BANNED

Finally, managed to get some pics of the "lesser" 2.0 MT variant interiors.
Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs-cr1.jpg
Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs-cr2.jpg
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 19:34   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Too each his own,i drove a hyundai for 1.3L kms,and in those 1.3L kms,i never had to crank her twice to start her up.Look around the forum and yourself before typing blanket statements.
Pardon my ignorance, but I fail to see which part is a blanket statement here:

"I dont agree, had to sell a Hyundai after 2.5 yrs. but happily kept a Honda for over 7 yrs.
The Hyundai broke down twice, it might just be an isolated case but I have very less regard to Hyundai reliability."

He even suggests it might be an isolated case. He clearly says 'he' doesn't agree and 'he' has less regards for Hyundai reliability. You have the right to disagree with that or even better ignore it, but no right to label it like you did.

I seriously hope mods step in and do something about this kind of posts. It's not just the abusive statements, but also this kind of irrational statements that make having a healthy discussions difficult.
prakash_ajp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 00:55   #142
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cr-v

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
but I don't think there is any SUV under 25 Lakhs which can transport you over highways, bad roads, no roads in such refinement, comfort, safety while still being totally reliable.
CRV might not be able to cope up with no roads or very bad roads especially if you need to push the vehicle. It is not meant to take abuse like a Fortuner, Pajero or Endeavor. A few nasty potholes or bumps at speed, or some trail driving, it could start protesting. The ground clearance sucks as well.

The AWD is meant more for snow etc. than for rough use. And the vehicle is meant for good roads or tip toeing over bad roads.
Old 16th February 2013, 02:30   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
i drove a hyundai for 1.3L kms,and in those 1.3L kms,i never had to crank her twice to start her up.Look around the forum and yourself before typing blanket statements.
I owned 2 Hyundais. One was a dream to own. The other turned out unreliable and was sold within 3 years of purchase..

I got a CR-V in 2008 and am super happy with the vehicle. It meets all MY expectations. Dont have any plans to sell it .... so far.

The key word here YMMV i.e. is Your Mileage May Vary. No sense in making rude comments against any member, even if you disagree with them.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 16th February 2013 at 02:31.
Old 16th February 2013, 03:35   #144
Senior - BHPian

Note From Support - Guys please keep the comparisons to the CRV only & then too keep it civil. Any more OT posts will get deleted. Thanks
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 01:06   #145
Team-BHP Support

Had the opportunity to check out the CR-V @ Dakshin Honda this evening. My initial impressions:

- In pictures, it looks ungainly - especially the rear 3-quarters. It looks as though the old CR-V has been placed in front of a funny-mirror at the circus and the rear portion (while viewed from the side) appears stretched and pulled in a comical fashion. But in person, it has presence. Plenty of it. Great looking car. Has a great stance. The front end is aggressive and the lights look seriously upmarket. The rear end bears a passing resemblance to the Volvo SUV twins, the XC60 and the XC90, courtesy the gummy-bear tail-lights. It looks bigger and more purposeful than the old CR-V, but in actuality, it's about as long as the Civic and no wider than your average cross-over from the segment.

- Interiors look great. The quality of plastics is top-notch. Soft touch plastics everywhere and the electric-seats are a great addition. I particularly liked the positioning of the gear lever. Ergonomics, ingress, egress are all spot-on! The space is crazy too. I'd adjusted the driver's seat for my driving position and then jumped into the back seat while leaving the driver's seat-position intact and I had more than 4" of air between my knees and the seat-back. It is not as spacious as a Superb, but it's right up there. The back bench on its own isn't the best I've got to admit. The seats are higher than your average sedan, ergo, your thighs are in contact with the seat and the knees aren't bent at all (unlike in the Civic) and I'm 6 foot+. The boot took me by surprise. It's massive. You could actually retro-fit a 3rd row! It's that huge! A week's worth of luggage for 5 people would not be a problem at all.

- Fit / finish all round is great.

- The perceived to be 'massive' ground-clearance will disappoint you. It actually isn't much. While standing next to the car, it looks like it could clear anything. But there is a MASSIVE plastic tray underneath the center of the car which compromises the ground-clearance a great deal. That should explain the measured 170mm GC. So much for being a soft / bad-roader. Hmph!

Didn't get to spend much time with the car. Hopefully, will be able to snag a test-drive later this week or perhaps the next. Watch this space!
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 07:53   #146
BHPian

Had a chance to check the new CRV out last week. Didn't really like the looks. I was more interested in finding out when the new Accord is coming.
Old 19th February 2013, 08:35   #147
Senior - BHPian

Nice pricing and equipment list. Would be interesting to see how this CRV performs in the market.

It has a lot going for it now, especially with the narrowing fuel prices. Eager to catch one in person. I am not liking the side profile. The rear view is nice though.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:09   #148
BHPian

Can we expect a proper CRV review by Team BHP? Unfortunately the Vadodara dealership doesn't have a display car nor a Demo car and will only be available till month end. If anyone's got any other info please share regarding the driving and the interior space.
Old 20th February 2013, 16:45   #149
Senior - BHPian

I just had a thought about this - considering the space in the back, the CR-V will be able to accommodate a large CNG cylinder. Honda should offer a CNG CRV variant to counter its no-diesel disadvantage. That in my opinion would make this a much more compelling choice.
Old 20th February 2013, 21:50   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I just had a thought about this - considering the space in the back, the CR-V will be able to accommodate a large CNG cylinder.
I see a first gen CRV in my neighbourhood with CNG tank in the back. But this CRV's back is weighed down considerably, as though nose would lift up. Wonder if CRV's suspension is so soft as to be weighed down by a CNG tank.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks