Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 22:05   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I see a first gen CRV in my neighbourhood with CNG tank in the back. But this CRV's back is weighed down considerably, as though nose would lift up. Wonder if CRV's suspension is so soft as to be weighed down by a CNG tank.
Which is why I suggest that Honda should do it officially like they have with City. That way the car retains its warranty and Honda can beef up the suspension and make other needed changes.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:10   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Surprise: Honda testing 2013 CR-V in India *EDIT* Now launched from 19.95 Lakhs

CNG? I would NOT consider it to be a great idea. First of all, its a CKD. So just making a CNG version for India alone may NOT help in a feasible business. In India, NOT all states / cities have CNG pumps, so that again will restrict the sales of this model. Finally, a person who can afford a CRV, will he/she bother about low running costs?
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 17:14   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
CNG? I would NOT consider it to be a great idea. First of all, its a CKD. So just making a CNG version for India alone may NOT help in a feasible business. In India, NOT all states / cities have CNG pumps, so that again will restrict the sales of this model. Finally, a person who can afford a CRV, will he/she bother about low running costs?
Look at what they've done with the City. The modifications at the factory are minimal. They make some changes to the rear suspension and the kit is fitted at the dealer end. It's not even a proper factory job like the City CNG in Thailand.

Given what they've done with the City, I don't see offering a CNG version for any Honda car being a challenge - CKD or not.

There are a lot of people who can afford a CRV but don't like the feeling of being ripped off at the pump. That is why, good product or not, its sales will be limited compared to a half as competent diesel vehicle.

Not to mention this is the century of gas and Delhi/NCR is the country's biggest car market. For someone like me, who doesn't change cars every few years, long-term running cost is an important factor. Another consideration is pollution. My money will go to a product that balances the two needs for me.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 17:19   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Look at what they've done with the City. The modifications at the factory are minimal. They make some changes to the rear suspension and the kit is fitted at the dealer end. It's not even a proper factory job like the City CNG in Thailand.

Given what they've done with the City, I don't see offering a CNG version for any Honda car being a challenge - CKD or not...
Trying to understand the technical bits under CNG inclusion. Would NOT the mechanicals need to be calibrated for CNG usage? I see you have mentioned that City does have CNG offering in Thailand - so those factors would have been considered during the design phase itself right?

Does CRV has a CNG option anywhere where it is launched?
Old 21st February 2013, 17:47   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trying to understand the technical bits under CNG inclusion. Would NOT the mechanicals need to be calibrated for CNG usage? I see you have mentioned that City does have CNG offering in Thailand - so those factors would have been considered during the design phase itself right?

Does CRV has a CNG option anywhere where it is launched?
By mechanicals I assume you mean changes to the engine tune, I believe and I may be wrong, there is no change to the engine tuning in the case of the Indian City CNG. The City CNG sold in Thailand and completely equipped to run on CNG at the factory is tuned to a lower power output.

My point about the differences between the Thai and Indian versions is that the Indian version is mostly a retrofit at the dealer end. And that can be extended to other Honda models.

As far as I know, the CRV is not offered with CNG anywhere in the world. But then neither is the City, with the exception of India and Thailand. But since the Indian one is mostly an after-market, retrofit job, they can do that to their other offerings.
Old 21st February 2013, 17:57   #156
Senior - BHPian

All bi-fuel vehicles are retro-fitted only, only thing is it may happen in the OEM premises or at dealer end. If its a closed loop type kit there is considerable amount of tuning involved but if it is fuel injection kit then it takes about 20 minutes to configure the ECU. Of course amount of work involved certainly varies and also workmanship in both the cases. Closed loop systems are easy to install and less time consuming, FI kits need almost a day's work to complete the installation. I still do not have information on the type of CNG kit used in Honda City but yes with CNG option the sales will not increase for sure. GTO why dont we try an option to TD all bi-fuel vehicles and make a good documentation of pro's and con's of bi-fuel vehicles. With the ever increasing fuel price team bhp can play a role in creating awareness of bi-fuel vehicles.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st February 2013 at 18:02.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 18:22   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
All bi-fuel vehicles are retro-fitted only, only thing is it may happen in the OEM premises or at dealer end.
Indeed, the retro fitment either is done by the manufacturer through the dealer or you get it done yourself.
Actually, Honda sells a natural gas variant of the Civic in the US - no petrol - just natural gas - Civic - Natural Gas Model
It maybe a good option for Honda to launch in India - Civic/CR-V/Accord CNG models.
Old 21st February 2013, 19:20   #158
Senior - BHPian

Honda website says CNG kit will be fitted at RBRC or Honda dealerships, here Rohan-BRC is the OEM supplier of CNG/LPG kits to Maruti and GM also. The CNG kit is sequential injection type and fitment time is mentioned as 6-8 hours.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:47   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, a person who can afford a CRV, will he/she bother about low running costs?
If you happen to visit Delhi sometime, do take a look at the vehicles present in a CNG gas station, you will be in for a shock. It still beats me how people can plonk 30-40L on a vehicle and then drive it straight to the mechanics to get CNG fitted!

Specific to the CRV, if the dealerships start fitting the kit, there could be many takers in NCR especially for used ones, considering the abysmal resale value of CRV. How much that would help Honda regain the sales is a different matter though
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:46   #160
Team-BHP Support

Lol. It is after all "The Dahli". This is pure conjecture but not surprised if some of these chaps have picked up second hand cars at half the price, then converting to CNG to ensure running cost is within budget. All of this to make sure they're getting off from a bigger car than their neighbours.

No offence to any Delhi lovers - just in the lighter vein. I've spent many many years in both these cities and they're both home to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
If you happen to visit Delhi sometime, do take a look at the vehicles present in a CNG gas station, you will be in for a shock. It still beats me how people can plonk 30-40L on a vehicle and then drive it straight to the mechanics to get CNG fitted!
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:48   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All bi-fuel vehicles are retro-fitted only, only thing is it may happen in the OEM premises or at dealer end.
Not always. The Thai City CNG is bi-fuel and it's a variant fully produced at the Honda factory in that country.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:24   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CNG? Finally, a person who can afford a CRV, will he/she bother about low running costs?
You may be right about people buying brand new off showrooms. But, 2nd gen CRVs can be had for as little as 7-8 lakhs ( brand new Swift money ). Most of these used CRV buyers would definitely consider CNG option.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:38   #163
Senior - BHPian

I am really looking forward to test driving the new CRV. I have been using the prev gen (currently selling before the facelift) 2.4L model for 3.5 years now. I love the car but it does have its constraints.
I hope the following have been rectified in the new model:
1. The road noise was extremely high and you really had to crank up the stereo volume to omit the annoying noise from the rolling sound from the tyres. This to me was the biggest drawback of the vehicle.
2. The gearbox in the prev CRV was the reason why many called the Auto transmission a slushbox. Was not smooth at all and the jerks on every upshift was compromising performance. The D3 button was a nice party trick and does help in while braking from high speeds. Also useful for a quick overtake. Overall though, a very disappointing gearbox.
3. After 3.5 years, I am beginning to hear a lot of squeaks and rattles. Especially from the sun roof area, the hard blind that seals up the sunroof doesnt dampen the squeaks. I remember while purchasing the brochure having a seperate page saying that the Honda factory has gone through great pains to dampen and insulate the interiors to avoid this. I am curious to ask, how bad was it before they went through that exercise. Its the first time ive seen a auto manufacturer write about rubber bits added to insulate the cabin and avoid things getting loose as the car gets old.
4. A dud between 2000 and 3000rpm but its not that long before it goes past 3000rpm and the car is accelerating aggressively forward. I hope the added 20BHP and torque will keep it rev happy always.
5. Cost of parts are very high and barely available in stock with the dealerships. Including glass for the side view mirrors.
6. Its ability to function somewhat decently off-road. Soft suspension leads the car to sag in the rear when the boot is filled with luggage. Does keep the nose up. Ive read that the suspension platform is shared with the Civic. Why not the accord?!

What I hope it retains:
1. The 2.4L CRV had mindblowing "off the block" pace. Climb a speed breaker and start acceleration, ive matched up to many german sedans including the likes of 5-series and the A6. This lasts up until u shift from 2nd to 3rd. After that the others start to get ahead. Nevertheless, it can match up to most if not any car produced in india in terms of mere "pick-up".
2. CRV has always been a looker, even though the new shape has inspired some and others not, I hope it stands out in the flesh as the pictures are not very inspiring.
3. Interiors have been top notch, the plastics are class leading, the fit and finish of the upholstery and other fabrics are fantastic. I do hope they get rid of the beige, it does make the cabin airy but they tarnish very easily. I have spent quite a bit in keeping the leather trim clean.

Im intrigued on how the new 2.4L will perform now that the power has been beefed up. The car was no slouch before and with the new refinement, I hope they have cancelled out all the problems from before. Im on my way to whitefield honda for a TD booking.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2013 at 11:52. Reason: Removing high speed references. Please do not discuss dangerous driving practices on the board.
Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:47   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Not always. The Thai City CNG is bi-fuel and it's a variant fully produced at the Honda factory in that country.
My reference was only to India.
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:16   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My reference was only to India.
In that case as well, not all CNG cars sold in India are retrofit jobs. The main exception being Maruti Suzuki -

http://www.marutisuzuki.com/Maruti-S...echnology.aspx
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks