Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 09:57   #181
BHPian

Re: Worst OEM Headlight

Changing Brand of Headlight H4 90/100 :

Hi,

One of the headlight bulbs on my car got conked off. I had a relay with separate wiring running on Hella H4 90/100.

Should I stick to the same Hella H4 90/100 or it would be a better choice to go for Philips Hivision 90/100, Or 110/130.

Want to use the same wiring and relay. Will the philips bulbs fit into the same socket ?

Appreciate your help
Old 4th January 2017, 10:10   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Changing Brand of Headlight H4 90/100 :

Want to use the same wiring and relay. Will the philips bulbs fit into the same socket ?
Yes, the Philips bulb would fit into the same socket.

However, it would be better to keep the brand of both the bulbs same.

Nevertheless, it would work even if you have different brands.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 10:59   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Keep both the wiring harness and bulbs same.

You can use H4 Philips bulbs on the existing wiring harness. No issues. Just make sure it is 100/90W.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 11:58   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Planning to visit Goa during Dec 2015, and I want to replace my Honda City's stock headlights. I have never seen a dimmer candle in my life. Can anyone of you please suggest a good replacement headlight and a good place to buy and get the work done in Bangalore? I have easy access to JC Road. Thanks and Regards to all.
Hey, did you get around to changing headlights in your City? I have a 2010 City and looking to change at least the bulbs. I also have a problem with the range of the lights but want to start slow.

Your suggestions will be helpful.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:22   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Hey, did you get around to changing headlights in your City? I have a 2010 City and looking to change at least the bulbs. I also have a problem with the range of the lights but want to start slow.

Your suggestions will be helpful.
Hey there! Yes, I got it changed to OSRAM bulbs. Its not either an upgrade nor a stock replacement. Something in between. Its powerful and lights up the road far better than the stock. The procedure took about 1-2 mins. I changed it at Auto-bass, Padmanabha Nagar, Banashankari. Cost about 1.8K.

In addition, I replaced the parking lights with Philips LED, costing about 1.5K. I always use DRLs everywhere and thats the reason I changed it.

I am happy with the changes, and it allowed me to drive with confidence during my recent trip back from Hubli (during night - alone).

Last edited by bsdbsd : 5th January 2017 at 14:23. Reason: typo
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 19:04   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Hey there! Yes, I got it changed to OSRAM bulbs. Its not either an upgrade nor a stock replacement.
Great. Thanks!
There are two models in Osram. Night Breaker Plus & Night breaker extreme. DO you remember which model? Was it an H4? I believe stock is H4.
Old 5th January 2017, 20:35   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am not very happy with the headlamps in my A-Star AT. How do I open that rubber part to check if the bulbs are original / replace bulbs ?
Quote:
This is the only extra step compared to many other lamps that have H4 type bulb. Not able to figure how to remove this part.

may be time to get some more WD-40 to spray around the rubber piece
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here it the way:

1) At the centre of the headlamp, there will be a plug. Pull it out first that disconnects the headlamp from battery.

2) The rubber boot had two flaps that jut-out. Hold it and pull it out. The rubber boot will come out exposing the bulb.

3) There will be clip that holds the bulb in place. It is a metal clip, pull it back and release it to free the bulb.

4) Remove the old bulb and replace it new one.

5) Repeat the above process to refit the same.
Quote:
And WD-40 did the trick. Was finally able to take out the bulb. The left one was throwing poor light, and was surprised to see it was an Osram. Have put in another one - will check it possibly tomorrow.
Useful tips. Thanks a4anurag & condor. I just collected them here for future reference.

What is a safe upgrade for the A-Star headlights? The stock ones are good, but I could use something better. I went through the lighting thread and I don't want to damage the headlight assembly by using hot lamps that could slowly damage the entire assembly.
Old 5th January 2017, 20:50   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
What is a safe upgrade for the A-Star headlights?
If you want to stick to OEM specifications of 60/55W, then you can get Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram night breaker.

If the reflector in your car are in good health, you can go for 100/90W (Philips) bulbs with wiring harness (Hella or a Philips). I am running this setup on my Swift for the past 2 years. No damage at all. All is well (touchwood).
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 21:45   #189
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to stick to OEM specifications of 60/55W, then you can get Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram night breaker.

If the reflector in your car are in good health, you can go for 100/90W (Philips) bulbs with wiring harness (Hella or a Philips). I am running this setup on my Swift for the past 2 years. No damage at all. All is well (touchwood).
The 100/90 Philips are really good on my K10, I think I'll put them on the A-Star too, just didn't think the stock ones merited a replacement. Need to look at the specs on the Xtreme Vison or Osram Night Breaker. Pity they dont offer trial run with them to see the difference they make on the road. Thanks Anurag.
Old 5th January 2017, 22:36   #190
BHPian

The OEM headlights of Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GLE that we have owned for 9 years now must be the all-time lowest in strength, because it makes very little difference when on. Our other car, a Honda City, while itself having poor headlights, is still far better in this aspect than the Getz. The Getz, a fine car in most other aspects, is the undoubted champion when it comes to having the worst headlights.

Having these cars together convinces me to buy our next car with HID projector headlamps, if we can afford.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:29   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Great. Thanks!
There are two models in Osram. Night Breaker Plus & Night breaker extreme. DO you remember which model? Was it an H4? I believe stock is H4.
Welcome! I don't remember which one it was. Its the one that does not need an additional power supply - but a straight 1 min replacement. Cost is roughly between 1.6-1.8k. I will passing his shop in a couple of days, and I can check with him for a definitive answer. You can go for either one and you wont go wrong. You will wonder why you did not do this on the first day itself.

The parking lights are Philips LED.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 20:52   #192
BHPian

Hi! If you are spending between 1.8K and 1.9K which even I had paid for best of Osram or Philips stock halogen replacement lamps available in India, a useful alternative you could consider is to buy the best and latest available lamp from powerbulbs.com.
Recently I bought Philips Racing Vision lamps for about GBP 22.99 (Rs. 1975.92) which is currently the best with the longest throw/beam from any lamp manufacturer. It took about 23 days for delivery using international economy shipping. Even bulbs available in India are cheaper there I felt.
They have increased the price by GBP 3; but it is still worth it especially for a car with a poor reflector like 2009 Honda City.
Old 9th January 2017, 15:17   #193
BHPian

Can the headlight bulb fuse like this ?

Hi,

As i was discussing earlier, I had a seperate relay with connectors for the headlights to change the bulbs from 60/55 to 100/90.

Of late, one of the hella bulbs had conked off. Today wanted to change the same.

I was surprised to see the odd melting shape of the bulb as can be noticed in the picture attached.

What could be the reason for it ?

When I did change the bulb to a new one, the new one does not show any intensity at all ? Is there any loose connection or a wiring suspect ? Should I go for a whole wiring change ?

Appreciate your thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Worst OEM Headlight-img_20170109_145216_hdr.jpg  

Old 9th January 2017, 15:29   #194
BANNED

Quote:
What could be the reason for it?
Looks like a manufacturing defect. The glass hasn't been manufactured properly hence the deformation.

Quote:
When I did change the bulb to a new one, the new one does not show any intensity at all ?
Check if the connector is fixed in the correct connectors.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th January 2017 at 15:39.
Old 10th January 2017, 08:58   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Check if the connector is fixed in the correct connectors.

Anurag,

Thanks for your attention. That bulb had served me for 5 years. Hope its a manufacturing defect.

I have removed the sealing rubber and coupler before putting in the new bulb.

Do you mean the wiring within the coupler got conked off ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks