Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 19:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Worst OEM Headlight

Hi All,

I have recently bought Figo and headlights are simply horrible. Many times I feel that I am going with a candle against pitch darkness, and when there us vehicle in high beam, I really struggle to find road ahead. Even bumper lamps (so called fog lamps ) don’t help in any way. Going through Ford Figo thread on team bhp, I find that many other owners have reported similar issue. I remember driving a Skoda Fabia couple of years back and it also had a kind of bad OEM headlight. Even owner of Fabia (who owns Civic and Verna) told me that Fabia lights are bad.

Generally all test drives before buying vehicles happen during day light and the critical headlamp brightness is not tested during test drive. Now simple answer is, after buying vehicle would be “upgrade headlamps”. But higher wattage bulb means need for relay and can void electrical warranty. Also chance of charred reflector. Yes, I agree that we can replace OEM headlamps with similar rating lamps but some companies will have weird warranty clause. I check with Ford A.S.S (Mangalore) he advised that I can’t change head lamp due to warranty where as other F.A.S.S in Bangalore offers headlamp upgrade kit. With all these confusions in mind, I thought of checking with enthusiasts about car having worst OEM headlight. If we have good response maybe we can add a poll to this thread.

My vote goes to Ford Figo. ( Figo is terrific value for money, I know i am nitpicking )

Mods,
I tried finding thread about worst head light (like worst steering feedback thread) but could not find any. If similar thread already exists kindly merge this thread.
recshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Worst OEM Headlight

I thought Swift's OEM headlights were far worse. When i upgraded my lights to a 90/100 years later on my 2006 Swift, the difference was huge. When i had bulb issues and switched back to stock for a few days, I found it really hard to drive in the night.

My vote undoubtedly goes to Gen 1 Swift for making the street lights look brighter than the sun!
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

It has to be the Figo without a doubt! Poor spread and that talks loads about the poor reflector design! Its not the bulbs, I upgraded the bulbs and poor spread is seen better!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:24   #4
BHPian

2006 mahindra bolero, takes the cake. the OEM headlamps were like two pieces of glowing charcoal.
rrnsss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:32   #5
BHPian

Yes, Figo is much worse when compared to Swift. The light spread is extremmely bad. We changed the OEM to 90/100, but still the problem remains.

The new Swift seems to be better than the older Swift though.

Anybody, please share how to overcome this lightspread problem with Figo.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

No other car can beat the i10 in this department! The worst I can vouch!

No idea about Figo but the small car category I found Brio headlights to be really good (stock lamps).
Old 28th August 2012, 19:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have heard about the Figo headlamps 'n' no. of times. Apparently, they are offering a paid upgrade at the dealer level, but as k149in said, even 90/100 lamps are not doing a good job.
The new Figo (expected in the next 2 months) should address that issue, and from what I heard, they are shifting the turn indicators to the sides in order to make a larger reflector, hence improving the performance of the lights. I wonder how car makers provide ABS, EBD, Airbags and crumple zones but skimp on major factors like headlamps, tyres and brakes.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:41   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post

My vote undoubtedly goes to Gen 1 Swift for making the street lights look brighter than the sun!

What was in the Gen1 Swift that made the headlamps so good? So it should be easy to buy the headlamp kit for Gen1 and put it in Gen2 and be done with it correct?

--R
Old 28th August 2012, 20:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

I dont even like my Vento's headlamps, i wont call them worst but its sort of in between, the spread isnt very confidence inspiring in no lit stretches, could have been better.

Love the Linea's double barrel light spread, even the fog lamps are good.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Am just waiting for the Safari owners to chance on this thread. Atleast, for me, my Safari really struggles to throw some decent light. I really find it hard to drive night times.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

The new generation Swift is one of the worst as far as headlights are concerned.

Surprisingly, the budget hatchback - WagonR - both old and new have way better headlights.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 20:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
What was in the Gen1 Swift that made the headlamps so good? So it should be easy to buy the headlamp kit for Gen1 and put it in Gen2 and be done with it correct?

--R
I should have clarified. What i meant was that the Gen 1 swift headlights were so pathetic that the street lights of Bangalore looked bright like the sun (in comparison)
Old 28th August 2012, 20:29   #13
kkg
BHPian

I always thought my spark's headlights are bad ( yes they are) until I drove gen 1 Swift on the highway. The spread on the low beam was almost non existent. Although I don't drive with high beam but I had no option that night.

Compared to this, My Nano have brilliant OE headlights. With fog lamps on, its like diwali night on the road.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:55   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I always thought my spark's headlights are bad ( yes they are) until I drove gen 1 Swift on the highway. The spread on the low beam was almost non existent. Although I don't drive with high beam but I had no option that night.

Compared to this, My Nano have brilliant OE headlights. With fog lamps on, its like diwali night on the road.
The nano probably uses Autopal headlamp assembly like the TATA Ace. I switched to the same Autopal headlamps and the focusing is way better than Lumax which is pathetic. Beats me how Lumax has all those Industrial certifications yet produces such unimpressive headlamps. Or maybe this is serious cost cutting by Manufacturers at the expense of safety. http://www.autopal.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
I should have clarified. What i meant was that the Gen 1 swift headlights were so pathetic that the street lights of Bangalore looked bright like the sun (in comparison)
I misread you post sorry. Not your fault.

--R
Old 28th August 2012, 21:04   #15
BHPian

Add one more vote to Swift for having the worst headlights. Having driven it for close to six years, I can safely vouch for this. With low beam on the highway, it feels as if one is driving with only the parking lights on. Throw is barely a few feet in front of your bumper in low beam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks