Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 17:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Worst OEM Headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Let me know if you find it online, I would like to keep a spare. I got my current set from one of the auto shop on Bannerghatta Road(near hulimavu junction).
I have ordered a pair of hella rally lights on ebay. Will let you know once it reaches me and I fix them. This is the first time i am trying hella bulbs, its always been OEM or the philips one for me so far. Hopefully these would solve my issue.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 12:54   #122
BHPian

SX4 owners can try switching on the fog lamps (even when there is no fog). That improves the visibility tremendously in city as well as highway conditions.
Old 7th December 2012, 16:55   #123
BHPian

The Figo's headlights are the worst. When you switch off the fog lights, the illumination on the road is square shaped and it looks very ugly if you ask me. The fogs do a better job than the headlights.
Old 7th December 2012, 21:40   #124
Senior - BHPian

No one talked about BEAT.

But then why would any. It is more than perfect.

On the other hand, I hate the ones on Vento. Absolutely rubbish.
Old 8th December 2012, 00:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone buy the recently launched cars like Sail which is again a non circular relector?

Most vehicles (especially B2 segment and above) have been mentioned at least once in this thread with the stock bulbs. Just curious as I'm yet to see the new cars mentioned and wonder if it is just a matter of time
Old 8th December 2012, 10:46   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
SX4 owners can try switching on the fog lamps (even when there is no fog). That improves the visibility tremendously in city as well as highway conditions.
I normally switch on the fog lights while driving, but don't find them of much use.

Fog lamps of Sx4 totally defeat its purpose of "Fog Lamps". Even its headlights is not that great. I find my K10 Alto Fog Lamps far far superior than Sx4.
Old 8th December 2012, 13:09   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
The nano probably uses Autopal headlamp assembly like the TATA Ace. I switched to the same Autopal headlamps and the focusing is way better than Lumax which is pathetic.
--R
I guess your problem is with focussing. The NANO does not come with electronic focussing like other cars do. There are two bolts (size 10) that hold them, one on top, one on the fender, open them, there are two adjusting discs behind, one for horizontal and one for vertical adj. Tightening them (clk-wise) standing behind the lamp should lift / spread the beam outward.

My NANO has Lumax lamp clusters and the lighting is brilliant with OEM bulbs (55/60), no complains !
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 13:51   #128
BHPian

I upgraded my Stock OEM's on the Swift ZDI last week as soon as I bought it with NB+ from Osram , now visibility is pretty decent I should say .Did not upgrade to 90/100 as i did not want to nullify any warranties would be trying in out on the highways tonight will keep you posted
Old 10th December 2012, 01:36   #129
BANNED

SX4 has the worst OEM headlamps and reflectors of any car I have seen. They are bad at both low beam and high beam. My dad regrets this one factor in the whole car else he is happy overall.

We tried putting in 100/90 with relays but the reflectors started becoming black so we jumped back to stock ones. Now thinking to put Osram Nightbreakers Plus.

Anurag.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:00   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
SX4 has the worst OEM headlamps and reflectors of any car I have seen. They are bad at both low beam and high beam. My dad regrets this one factor in the whole car else he is happy overall.

We tried putting in 100/90 with relays but the reflectors started becoming black so we jumped back to stock ones. Now thinking to put Osram Nightbreakers Plus.
Now that you say the stock reflectors are partly damaged, I am not sure whether you'll get the full performance of the NB+.

In that case it would perhaps be better to invest one time and have quality projector headlights with HID lamps. Cost should be something between 18-20K, but this should be a much better solution. The output should also be good if you use quality projectors (not the chinese ones).
Old 10th December 2012, 16:29   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have ordered a pair of hella rally lights on ebay. Will let you know once it reaches me and I fix them. This is the first time i am trying hella bulbs, its always been OEM or the philips one for me so far. Hopefully these would solve my issue.
Got the Hella bulbs and also fitted them. All the excitement inw aiting for the night to test them died within the initial few mins. The first impression was that this is noting better than the philips one I had earlier. The spread and the fall are almost the same with absolutely no difference. So, its back to square one for me. I have kept the Hella one's on still, hoping for a miracle.
Old 10th December 2012, 23:24   #132
BHPian

Both my cars, old 2002 Ford Ikon 1.6 and new 2012 VW Vento seem to have bad OEM headlights. Vento seems better than Ikon, but not by a big margin. Ikon is a great car to drive during day, but a pain at night! I did change Ikon bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision which improved things a bit. Reading through the thread, looks like Figo's head lamps are no better.

From the thread it appears that Ford seems to be the worst offender across models and I have not seen any mention of Toyota. So is the headlamp setup on Etios/Innova/Corolla good ?
Old 10th December 2012, 23:40   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
From the thread it appears that Ford seems to be the worst offender across models and I have not seen any mention of Toyota. So is the headlamp setup on Etios/Innova/Corolla good ?
From my experience, I can vouch that the headlamp setup of my Toyota Liva is really good. I didn't expect this from a car which has been much maligned because of its apparent cost-cutting, leaving the interiors almost spartan. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised.

But, I can't really say whether the OE fog-lamps from Toyota in my car are of any significance. I haven't got the opportunity to drive with them in fogs, but on a normal night they hardly add anything to the OE headlamps.

With many in this thread complaining about fog-lights in their respective cars, I am now confused about their utility. Do they actually serve any purpose, or are just decorative show-pieces to fill up the blank space in the front bumpers?

Last edited by subratasenn : 10th December 2012 at 23:42.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Got the Hella bulbs and also fitted them. All the excitement in waiting for the night to test them died within the initial few mins. The first impression was that this is noting better than the philips one I had earlier. The spread and the fall are almost the same with absolutely no difference. So, its back to square one for me. I have kept the Hella one's on still, hoping for a miracle.
As I understand you initially had a Philips Rally Sport 90/110 and the performance was satisfactory. Both the Philips and Hella that you fixed afterwards did not give you the same level of performance.

In that case go to the neighourhood mechanic and check whether the headlamps are getting the required power.

This could be an indication of low charging level of the battery, which could be a result of a problem with the alternator or the battery itself.
Old 11th December 2012, 20:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
As I understand you initially had a Philips Rally Sport 90/110 and the performance was satisfactory. Both the Philips and Hella that you fixed afterwards did not give you the same level of performance.

In that case go to the neighourhood mechanic and check whether the headlamps are getting the required power.

This could be an indication of low charging level of the battery, which could be a result of a problem with the alternator or the battery itself.
The battery is new, Amaron make and about a year old now. The alternator was recently serviced too. Anything else that I should be checking on? The headlight lens are in good condition too. It is a real pain to drive in the city with almsot everyone coming in the opposite direction thinking of the high beam as the low beam

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks