Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 14:26   #106
BHPian

Re: Worst OEM Headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

Most cars with double headlamps (mine included) have better lighting as the reflectors and lamps are separated by internal margins. On mine the high beam lights up both, low and high beam giving both near and far vision with minimal blind patches.
Yes. Mine is a vista and the throw is quite good.
Although one point i would like to make is that i have installed front sun control film of 70% visibility. So, what this means is that at night time, the beams will appear even lesser that what they are actually producing.

So, if we actually stand outside the car or take our head out, we actually see the light to be quite sufficient but then from inside the car, it seems that we are not getting the full power of the light, the culprit being the front film.
Old 11th September 2012, 18:27   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Yes. Mine is a vista and the throw is quite good.
Although one point i would like to make is that i have installed front sun control film of 70% visibility. So, what this means is that at night time, the beams will appear even lesser that what they are actually producing.

So, if we actually stand outside the car or take our head out, we actually see the light to be quite sufficient but then from inside the car, it seems that we are not getting the full power of the light, the culprit being the front film.
Even I have 70VLT front and 30 VLT on my windows. Yes, the light does look as if it is less, but on the positive side it cuts out the glare from all oncoming vehicles.
You can go for a bulb upgrade (Osram NB or Philips Xtreme 55) or you can replace one bulb only (preferably high beam) with an 80W bulb. This will still be within limits for the Relay cutoffs and also within the lamp rating and you should be good!
Old 14th September 2012, 21:14   #108
BHPian

Two of the cars I have owned are featuring among the top contenders here. Palio and i10. I can vouch for the Palio's eveready torch lights. But I am surprised about i10. I never had problems with its lights even on moonless dark nights on highways.
Old 15th September 2012, 13:38   #109
BHPian

i have the new swift for the last 5 months and its in the recent rains in mumbai that i realised how bad the OEM headlights are. i can barely see when its raining and there are people shining their high beams on the opposite side.

have been contemplating a upgrade to 100/90 but am scared of putting in relays et all. might just go in for a xtreme vision to get whatever improvement i can on the stock setup.
Old 15th September 2012, 15:14   #110
BANNED

There is a common refrain - my current mount is the worst!! I think we can do better than that and be somewhat more objective.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 19:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
Two of the cars I have owned are featuring among the top contenders here. Palio and i10. I can vouch for the Palio's eveready torch lights. But I am surprised about i10. I never had problems with its lights even on moonless dark nights on highways.
Actually, if you go by the general trend of the posts, moonless nights are the least of the problems. Any good beam would work on a dark night. Here we are faced with the ability of the driver to see (any thing?), when the oncoming traffic's light shine on you.

In my opinion what we need is driver etiquette rathger than more and more powerful lights, there will always be some one who will out shine you.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 22:37   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp
i have the new swift for the last 5 months and its in the recent rains in mumbai that i realised how bad the OEM headlights are. i can barely see when its raining and there are people shining their high beams on the opposite side.

have been contemplating a upgrade to 100/90 but am scared of putting in relays et all. might just go in for a xtreme vision to get whatever improvement i can on the stock setup.
I'm in the same situation with my Figo! The stock headlamps are pathetic & I'm not sure about getting a relay & new wiring for warranty reasons so am getting Philips Crystal Vision installed. These are much better than stock bulbs!
Old 4th December 2012, 00:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to buy Philips X-tremeVision or the OSRAM NB's online? I tried to search for it, but cannot find it

I have an Indica DLG and its OEM lights were bad too. Got a relay installed and changed to phillips rally sport 90/110 IIRC. These bulbs did a good job untill Prerana motors messed up with my Dynamo and the bulbs fused. Did change them to another philips, but havent had the same effect ever again. The low beam is very inadequate and high beam doesnt show me anything except the tress. Since I already have the relay and the cut out installed, I am seriously thinking of moving to a higher wattage buls and these two stand out, but the question is if I can source them online.

Last edited by dass : 4th December 2012 at 00:01.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:16   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Is it possible to buy Philips X-tremeVision or the OSRAM NB's online? I tried to search for it, but cannot find it
IMO Osram NB is not good when it rains. I used it for some time and then upgraded to 100/90 philps rally with relay. So, if you have no plans to upgrade with relay then prefer Philips X-tremeVision.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:22   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
IMO Osram NB is not good when it rains. I used it for some time and then upgraded to 100/90 philps rally with relay. So, if you have no plans to upgrade with relay then prefer Philips X-tremeVision.
I already have a relay.. all i need is the bulbs. I realized after posting that Osram and Xtreme vision are not of higher wattage, so it wont be of much help. I will need to try and source the Rally. Would you know if they are available online? I am a bit skeptical with all the fakes going around and would want to source from a reliable source.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:40   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to buy Philips X-tremeVision or the OSRAM NB's online?
Quote:
Would you know if they are available online?
Check here - http://www.carstudio.com/categories/...20707060630528

I don't have any buying experience with them. Looks like they are the largest online retailers for Auto Accessories in India.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:43   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would you know if they are available online? I am a bit skeptical with all the fakes going around and would want to source from a reliable source.
Let me know if you find it online, I would like to keep a spare. I got my current set from one of the auto shop on Bannerghatta Road(near hulimavu junction).
Old 4th December 2012, 13:24   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I already have a relay.. all i need is the bulbs. I realized after posting that Osram and Xtreme vision are not of higher wattage, so it wont be of much help. I will need to try and source the Rally. Would you know if they are available online? I am a bit skeptical with all the fakes going around and would want to source from a reliable source.
You can also use Hella Rally 100/90W, as it also gives good results.
Both the items are available on eBay.
Links : Philips Rally and Hella Rally
Old 4th December 2012, 14:58   #119
BHPian

Baleno has the worst headlights ever seen in this country. In the newer baleno, it was compounded by the fact that the headlight adjustment switch barely made any difference to the focussing.

Followed quickly by the old zen. I have had the mistfortune of owning both. Even upgrading the bulbs makes very little difference.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:34   #120
BHPian

Among the cars i have owned, ANHC has the worst OEM headlight. My Alto has far more brighter headlights.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks