Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 11:45   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Just discovered something interesting. In Europe, the Doblo comes with only the 1.6 105hp multijet and 2.0 multijet diesel engines.

So, while the Doblo might not be introduced in India, is FIAT secretly testing the 1.6 MJD engine using the Doblo as a platform, with the thought that maybe, if the Doblo proves OK for India, this model will also be introduced but in any case the 1.6MJD will come to India?

Just speculating ...
Old 16th April 2014, 20:52   #1232
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the new Punto hopefully there is T-Jet version. I think Fiat seriously has to concentrate on marketing the beauty of their cars I mean I have friends here who say the Punto and Linea are ugly cars I mean seriously come on I understand people can have their own opinion but calling it uglier than the Sail-UVA and Ritz(which are decent looking cars) is blasphemy. People have got so used to seeing plain Jane design's by Maruti and the likes of it, that they think these two Fiats are revolting to look at. Fiat if you're reading this do something about it.
MODS: Sorry just venting out, cannot stand it being a true petrol-head. Feel free to remove this post.
Old 17th April 2014, 15:00   #1233
Senior - BHPian

This could be a good package by FIAT to touch base with cutomers of a totally different segment. The company needs footfalls @ showrooms in order to capture attention as well as to show what they are capable of making.

FIAT must take it seriously, I don't see any need of pushing entry for 1.6 or 2.0 Multijet to start with, Chevy and Maruti are rolling out their respective MUVs with small engines only and tour opertors have started making investments.

Good luck FIAT !
Old 17th April 2014, 15:15   #1234
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, Doblo makes perfect sense to we Indians. Give us good interiors, 7 seats and voila, Fiat will laugh all the way to the bank.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 15:58   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
In my opinion, Doblo makes perfect sense to we Indians. Give us good interiors, 7 seats and voila, Fiat will laugh all the way to the bank.
I agree, to a degree. Though: Fiat's brand-dealer-ASS recall, reputation and trust will have to keep recent improvements going a fair bit longer before risk-averse MUV buyers, whether private or taxi, buy in meaningful numbers.
Old 17th April 2014, 17:15   #1236
BHPian

I guess they should be doing some Facial modifications before bringing it over.
The rear looks like a TV cabinet, and the front, eeks, don't ask.
"DOBLO"
Old 17th April 2014, 18:11   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
sorry, i disagree. Its will be the ugliest car i have seen so far. There's no death of 7 seater vehicles. Nissan Evalia was much better looking compared to this and still failed miserably.
SkyWalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 18:49   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
sorry, i disagree. Its will be the ugliest car i have seen so far. There's no death of 7 seater vehicles. Nissan Evalia was much better looking compared to this and still failed miserably.
Ugly it is. But its interiors are much better than either the evalia's or the enjoy's. In any case, and only since we are just riffing speculatively, the image is of the old Doblo. There is a new, restyled Doblo coming to Europe and Turkey, and a Ram version to the US, i gather. So i suspect that will be the version coming, if at all. In any case, this MUV will not come here before 2016, i wouldn't think. Though it, alongwith Renault's Lodgy, would be the first proper, full-fledged, no-compromise competitors to the over-dominant Innova. At aggressive prices, too. Let's see. Good to see Fiat thinking longer-term too, though they are (understandably?) slow.
Old 17th April 2014, 19:42   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Guys, stop calling the Doblo ugly. Ever seen the 1st gen Fiat Multipla? Now that is what you would call ugly
Old 18th April 2014, 00:57   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Guys, stop calling the Doblo ugly. Ever seen the 1st gen Fiat Multipla? Now that is what you would call ugly
. Totally ugly in the best, avant-garde way: radical car-art the Multipla was! If you've see one in the metal like I have in the UK: utterly amazing the internal space that little MUV has. A truly radical car, the Multipla: only the Italians or the French are capable of that sort of automobile experimentalism. It sold quite well, apparently!

Fiat has done something similarly experimental though not as grotesquely radical with the current bestselling European family MUV: the 500L. Amazingly roomy and flexible for a smallish car, see-through A-pillar...and what about the Panda 4x4, the "world's best SUV" says TopGear?

Alas, such stylishly edgy-yet-affordable design and engineering's not for India. Not yet, not for a decade or three?
Old 18th April 2014, 08:29   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Here is the biggest scoop of all (as far as Fiat is concerned):
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/fiat-5...ikely-in-2015/

Fiat 500L spotted on test in India!
And the car is right-hand drive too.
rohanjf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 09:25   #1242
BHPian

Doblo looks like a cross between Alto 800, Skoda Yeti & Nissan Evalia. I am just scratching my head as I cannot come to a conclusion.

Jokes apart, a spot-on introduction into a hot market segment. If this gets introduced in India for real, then FIAT has got a good number cruncher. Also sensible pricing is needed. Price it in the Evalia / Yeti level, then FIAT has done another blunder.
Old 18th April 2014, 09:58   #1243
Team-BHP Support

Doblo is more of a panel van, similar to the likes of the Evalia. Can work as a taxi, but I don't see it doing well as a family MPV.
Old 18th April 2014, 13:08   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
The rear looks like a TV cabinet, and the front, eeks, don't ask.
"DOBLO"
When I saw the picture, I thought it was a vehicle mod to fit an oversized CRT TV into the back of a vehicle. Then, I scrolled up, read your post, and realized that this isn't the weird-and-wacky-mod thread.

BTW, does the name "Doblo" remind anyone of Dobby, the character from Harry Potter?
Old 18th April 2014, 15:03   #1245
BHPian

This isn't the first time Fiat is thinking of introducing the Doblo in India.
According to a November 2002 Auto India issue (is that magazine still running?), Fiat India was conducting 'clinical trials' of both the Mutipla and the Doblo in India. Of course, back then it was the earlier generation Doblo.
Fortunately, I own a huge treasure trove of auto magazines from the late 90s to late 00s.
Here are some snaps of the issue. Please forgive the quality 'coz these are not scans.

Fiat's India strategy revealed-20140418_143306-copy.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-20140418_143423-copy.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-20140418_143442-copy.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-20140418_143526-copy.jpg

Last edited by Miel : 18th April 2014 at 15:07. Reason: Facts
Miel is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks