Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 15:50   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

The Punto Adventura has now been caught again in Pune, on video (courtesy Motorbash). Here is the link to the video:

CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 13:47   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Latest set of Punto's images testing in Pune (courtesy Motoroids):

Fiat's India strategy revealed-580x435ximg2014032000749600x450.jpg.pagespeed.ic.fu5gqphafx.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-580x435ximg2014032000754600x450.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wyl0ixbjpt.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-580x435ximg2014032000752600x450.jpg.pagespeed.ic.l2bwnnf9en.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-580x435ximg2014032000751600x450.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gsse3efbsz.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-img2014032000750.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-img2014032000753.jpg

PS: The headlight design in 1st & last image seems inspired from the Adventura.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 20th March 2014 at 13:49.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 14:55   #1173
BHPian

Seems like they have incorporated the new Linea's interiors. Don't see any major change that they should keep the car covered. Wonder why the delay in launching a facelift.
Old 20th March 2014, 15:20   #1174
BHPian

We have been hearing FIAT's India strategy for a really long time but no action only words, but for surely current & potential customers confidence is eroding from the brand.
Old 21st March 2014, 00:00   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
We have been hearing FIAT's India strategy for a really long time but no action only words, but for surely current & potential customers confidence is eroding from the brand.
hi. is that spoken as a 'current and potential customer?' because if one isn't one should first come upto speed on the news--of actions not words--concerning fiat india: setting up over a 100 independent dealerships,the launch of the linea classic and the new linea etc. i will also point out that sales are up quite a bit, continuously for several months now, in a very down market. new punto, punto abarth aand avventura coming soon enough, too.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 11:21   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Those look like speculative VFX renders to me. Not photographs?!

Besided thay're different from the car in the first pic (which also doesn't look genuine).

Anyway will the micro-Jeep be made/ sold in India?
This Renegade looks like a repackaged version of the Liberty (which I used to own ) which has now been discontinued - In fact Renegade was one of the trims.
Meanwhile its sad to see the Jeep India launch being deferred again - Are they even serious?
Old 21st March 2014, 12:14   #1177
BHPian

In several ways, Fiat is like the Indian Government.
Great resources. Great potential. Great plans. Miserable execution.

Take any technology, and they are one of the pioneers. But they eternally sit on them and watch as others develop/ borrow the tech and reap the benefits. Then they blame the market.

1.3 MJD? Maruti borrowed it and laughed all the way to the bank.
1.6 MJD? Fiat is still evaluating the market while Honda developed and launched an entirely new 1.5 idtech.
T-Jet/ Twin air for the Punto? Fiat is evaluating the market while VW have brought in the Polo tsi and Tata is developing a new 1.2 turbo.
AMT? Maruti borrows the tech from Fiat and the gets the cash registers ringing.
Dual-clutch autos? Everyone is bringing theirs on while Fiat has been sitting in theirs for eternity.
Panda/ Viaggio/ Sedici? Fiat shelves plans to launch them after market evaluation when everyone else is developing cross-overs/ mico-SUVs/ New C segment sedans and B2 hatches.
New companies set up plants and make India export hub for their small cars while Fiat's old production line makes fewer cars than hand-assembled niche manufacturers.
Fiat takes four years to launch decent mud flaps for the Linea - time enough for Hyundai to bring in a new generation.
One will never run out of examples.

Just like Skoda, Fiat has some very good cars which are being woefully let down by a very bad company.

While we enthusiasts are discussing Fiat's future plans to death, Fiat is dying in the hands of it's inept management.

Last edited by one-77 : 21st March 2014 at 12:22.
one-77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 21:09   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
but for surely current & potential customers confidence is eroding from the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
hi. is that spoken as a 'current and potential customer?' ...new punto, punto abarth aand avventura coming soon enough, too.
I exchanged my 2010 model Punto EP for a Punto 90HP two months back. The people who appreciated and congratulated me in 2010 when I bought the EP sang a totally different tune when I bought the 90HP. In 2010, everyone wanted to know why I voted the Swift out and went for another car but all of them had accepted the Punto EP as just plain awesome.

Now the same guys are asking me why I decided against the Polo and EcoSport and surprisingly one car that many of them had mentioned was the Hyundai Grande i10.

In 2010, it was Polo/Punto/i20; now the hapless Punto is pitted against a plethora of other cars too. To be frank, it would be next to impossible to convince a non-TBHPian in favor of Punto when compared to the Grande i10 Asta O.

Surely and steadily Fiat is losing its sheen. Accept it as a fact. You cant really sell a car with 15'' wheels and well-weighted steering when the front door pockets cannot even hold a 1-liter water bottle.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 21st March 2014 at 21:12.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 21:25   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I exchanged my 2010 model Punto EP for a Punto 90HP two months back. The people who appreciated and congratulated me in 2010 when I bought the EP sang a totally different tune when I bought the 90HP. In 2010, everyone wanted to know why I voted the Swift out and went for another car but all of them had accepted the Punto EP as just plain awesome.

Now the same guys are asking me why I decided against the Polo and EcoSport and surprisingly one car that many of them had mentioned was the Hyundai Grande i10.

In 2010, it was Polo/Punto/i20; now the hapless Punto is pitted against a plethora of other cars too. To be frank, it would be next to impossible to convince a non-TBHPian in favor of Punto when compared to the Grande i10 Asta O.

Surely and steadily Fiat is losing its sheen. Accept it as a fact. You cant really sell a car with 15'' wheels and well-weighted steering when the front door pockets cannot even hold a 1-liter water bottle.
I made this comment based on experience. I suggested Fiat Palio in 2004 to my uncle and Fial Punto to my colleague in 2011. In both cases Fiat treated them so badly - cars were lying in the service center for weeks because they didn't have spare parts. Coming to Punto the Fiat service center didn't have fuel pump in their stock for weeks my colleague being a regular Joe I had to come in and talk to the service center guys to get the part ASAP.

Now I have stopped suggesting any Fiat cars to family & friends because I feel bad when I see these folks unhappy with their car.
Old 21st March 2014, 23:16   #1180
BHPian

I have to point out again that your disillusionment even if justified is based on dated experiences: from the Tata-Fiat days. The new service centres are clearly much better, and the spares availability is vastly improved too. please checkout the numerous references to this is many ownership threads, old and new, here on T-BHP. Things are not perfect but i have to point out that the vast majority of Fiat Linea and Punto owners are satisfied with the service/spares experience these last 2-3 years, and are delighted with their rides. It serves no purpose as a discerning car consumer/fan to repeat old perceptions (however valid at one point), especially since these only echo the ignorant herd-opinions of the 'public' at large.

Who cares what your or my friends think yaar! The 'public' is usually wrong, and so is the 'market' for all sorts of reasons ranging from ignorance, laziness, inexperience, immaturity, gullibility, naivety, herding biases, information asymmetries etc. Buy and love the ride you have, in and through its flaws and its lower resale values! and btw, the Punto continues to be a half-decent seller--sales have been 800+/- continuously which is much more than many models launched by firms with allegedly stellar reputations.

Fiat sales in India are going up steadily for many months now, not down like almost everyone else. that is no sign of death. There is a terrific new Linea out, the brilliantly styled Avventura's (with the T-Jet most likely) coming soon as is a new Punto and an Abarth Punto (T-Jet). Fiat-Chrysler globally too is seeing a near-boom. They went slow for the last year only because they cutoff from Tata and went solo with independent dealerships and service centres--108 of them by now, and counting. The feedback fro around the country from a large sample of Fiat owners is that things are mostly much improved, especially on spares' availability. the Ranjangaon joint venture with Tata is profitable, more than can be said of the factories of Ford and GM which have accumulated losses over the years of a few thousands of crores. And Jeep will be here at some soon point, with some new Jeep models like the great new Renegade just shown in Geneva being locally manufactured hopefully. So yes Fiat has had a mismanaged existence here until about two years ago but things have changed. Will it be enough to convert Hyundai and Honda and Maruti buyers en masse? Surely not, but who cares as long Fiat grows here steadily and further ups its sales and service quality.

Note from Support: Posts merged & edited. Please avoid typing the entire post in lowercase in future. Thanks!
desdemona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 11:13   #1181
Senior - BHPian

The upcoming facelift-ed Punto has lots of things to cheer about.
  • Avventura Head lamps
  • Avventura Tail lamps
  • Avventura rear Fog lamp/Reverse lamp
  • Integrated Turn indicator in ORVMS
  • New front and rear bumper
  • 15" Gunmetal awesome alloys
  • Dashboard a direct lift from Linea
  • and many more...
Hope they had sorted out the gear ratios

My then shelved Punto Sport dream is re-igniting again as 90 MJD or T-Jet (if they launch)

Source: http://www.****************/fiat-ind...#post841896346

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 23rd March 2014, 00:12   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
This Renegade looks like a repackaged version of the Liberty (which I used to own ) which has now been discontinued - In fact Renegade was one of the trims.
Meanwhile its sad to see the Jeep India launch being deferred again - Are they even serious?
The Renegade is an all new B-SUV from jeep, it is not a repackaged liberty/wrangler but a smart new use of jeep design language on a fiat 500L/500x platform but with highend offroading credentials in some versions.

Fiat in their perspective plan last year clearly stated that they intend to manufacture and not just assemble this b-jeep with the t-jet and the 1.3/1.6 mjd in india at ranjangaon. the renegade is meant as a global product to be made in europe, brazil, china and presumably india. a large part of the engineering for this jeep has been done at chrysler's chennai r&d centre, apparently.

the jeep launch is delayed but is on, from what i hear. autocar speculated a few weeks ago that the renegade would be priced around 15 lakhs. there will hopefully be a cheaper fiat version priced say like the topend duster/terrano/XUV. it'll take them the better part of two years to launch the brand, the dealers and finally an india-made jeep.
Old 23rd March 2014, 01:11   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
I have to point out again that your disillusionment even if justified is based on dated experiences:
My personal experience has been otherwise. I used to get reasonably acceptable service during the TATA-FIAT days from Concorde motors. Post separation, it has been a nightmare for me.

1. Vecto charged me for a clutch pressure plate issue in spite of the pressure plate being in extended warranty and they giving me in writing that the clutch problem was a pressure plate issue and not worn out clutch.

2. When they changed the clutch they created three more problems:
a. Reversing light (and reverse parking sensor) not working because they forgot to connect the reverse light cable to the transmission post clutch replacement.
b. Irritating rattle from AC which increases with vehicle speed.
c. Noise from steering column if rotated lock to lock.

3. When they fixed the steering problem, they created suspension noise.

Eventually they fixed the issues but just for a clutch replacement I had to go to the workshop three times for the new problems they created.

Quote:
The 'public' is usually wrong,
I don't think so. There is a saying - "You can fool some people all the time and all the people for sometime, but to say that all people can be fooled all the time is stretching the line a bit too thin."
sourav21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 07:47   #1184
BHPian

Was going through an article, Can AMT shift past Manual? @ Autocar.

It mentions Fiat is also mulling AMT for Punto & Linea.
They have used AMT in previous gen Punto as well, it won't be the first time for them.

Here's the full article.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-375482.aspx/0
Old 25th March 2014, 12:17   #1185
Team-BHP Support

Fiat Group Automobiles India Private Limited (FGAIPL) has revealed that it has plans to export the upcoming Avventura from India. The company will initiate plans to ship the Avventura out to key global markets after its launch. Fiat will look at right hand drive markets, but is unsure about which those countries will be. At the same time, the company has claimed that it will prioritise catering to the domestic market.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks