Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 13:01   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Still something is missing.
That could've been easily filled by launching a T-Jet Punto. Not everyone would like to drive around a lonnnng sedan with huge turning radius especially in a city like Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Now for petrol heads, there are three very good options available, Polo GT, EcoSport EcoBoost and Linea T-Jet and Linea scores over others due to its steering.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 13:12   #662
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
What is the driveability difference between the 1.3MJD and the 1.4Tjet? The torque and power quoted are almost the same. Can anyone, who has driven both, clarify this?
I have the 1.3MJD VGT and the 1.4 T-Jet, so I'll try to answer this query. The MultiJet, being a diesel has more torque which is produced slightly earlier, and has a narrow power band. The usable power is in the region of 1500-3000 rpm (after which the diesel engine starts screaming in protest).

A conventional NA petrol, say for eg. the Linea 1.4 NA petrol engine has most of the usable power coming in after 3000rpm, which makes it very sluggish at city speeds and at lower rpms, but very pleasurable at higher rpms.

The T-Jet engine retains all the high-revving characteristics of a NA petrol, and in addition to that it produces its peak torque at ~2000 rpm like a diesel. Basically it is like combining the best of both worlds. You can potter around like a diesel all day long at 1500 rpm, or you can redline in each gear like a superbike utilizing the higher end of the rev range. Neither of the former 2 groups (NA petrol or turbo diesel) can match the performance of a turbo petrol for the same engine displacement.

Coming back to your question now, the MultiJet has a usable rpm range of 1500-3000 rpm, while the T-Jet has a usable rpm range of 1500-5500 rpm with the power evenly spread out across the rev range once turbo kicks in.

While the MultiJet's power delivery starts to taper off around 3000 rpm and saturates, the T-Jet's power delivery becomes more and more explosive all the way until the 5500 rpm redline. Perhaps you can take a test drive of both the cars back to back and compare to clarify your doubts .

P.S - As a general guideline, you can check the rpm values at which the peak torque and peak power figures are produced. That rpm difference zone gives a rough indication of the 'pleasure zone'; this applies to any car. For eg, in a T-Jet, the peak torque comes in ~2000 rpm and peak power at ~5000 rpm. So the pleasure zone where you experience the 'pushed to the seats' feeling is very wide, between 2000 and 5000 rpm.

For MultiJet, peak torque comes in at 2000 rpm and peak power at 4000 rpm, which is narrower plus the diesel engine screams like crazy after the 3000 mark. In a NA engine like a Honda City, the peak torque occurs at 4800 rpm and the peak power at 6600 rpm, which not only makes the pleasure zone narrower but also way up in the rev range to be reachable everytime.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th June 2013 at 13:17.
KarthikK is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 13:44   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
For MultiJet, peak torque comes in at 2000 rpm and peak power at 4000 rpm, which is narrower plus the diesel engine screams like crazy after the 3000 mark. In a NA engine like a Honda City, the peak torque occurs at 4800 rpm and the peak power at 6600 rpm, which not only makes the pleasure zone narrower but also way up in the rev range to be reachable everytime.
Wonderful explanation, Karthik! Cannot get any better. What I can say is, the only way to realize what you say about the TJet is to drive it! I did the same some time back and man! For people who cannot afford cars north of 15-20 lakhs, TJet is the only route to nirvana!

And now the pricing and the variants available are ultimate! The essentials for an enthusiast (for aam aadmi too, for that matter) is available right from 7.6 lakhs! I don't see a better car in this segment (even in a segment or two higher, may be).

By the way, does anyone know if the Dynamic variant has climate control?
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 14:03   #664
BHPian

Linea Tjet is a well put together car. It checks most of the boxes and comes with classic European engineering and build quality. Nice to note that the basic active variant also comes with ABS+EBD and disc brakes on all the 4 wheels. As rightly pointed by our friends, its definitely nirvana and a fun to drive car. Hope that Fiat improves their after sales service and open up more dealerships. I think Fiat burnt their fingers badly by aligning with Tata's. The tata's literally milked Fiat to the last drop and helped themselves laugh all the way to the bank with the Vista, Manza which were direct competition to the Palio and Linea.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:21   #665
Senior - BHPian

Its good to see this car back on Fiat India's portfolio. However; I don't look at it as a game changer for Fiat India. The T Jet is available for those who know what this car is all about and if you have experienced one in the past by means of a test drive or driving a friends car. The car is still going to find limited buyers even at the now value for money pricing. They can hardly sell a diesel car that too when they have the best small diesel engine. Forget a petrol.

It is interesting on how they now claim a higher arai fuel rating on the T Jet. Nothing has changed with the engine. I wonder how they achieved this.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th June 2013 at 14:24.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 14:39   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
As of now Chrysler will be the first to be introduced in July end - Aug first half, followed by Jeep SUV in October 2013 second half.

Can you throw some light on what exactly you meant by Introducing Chrysler in end July/first half of Aug? I didn't knew Chrysler vehicles were part of FIAT India's plans.

If it's about brand awareness to public/media then Chrysler logo is part of every FIAT's presentation right from the time of announcing Jeep's launch in India. Would love here some interesting news from your end.
Old 11th June 2013, 15:06   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Can you throw some light on what exactly you meant by Introducing Chrysler in end July/first half of Aug? I didn't knew Chrysler vehicles were part of FIAT India's plans.

If it's about brand awareness to public/media then Chrysler logo is part of every FIAT's presentation right from the time of announcing Jeep's launch in India. Would love here some interesting news from your end.
I dont know what is the reality but there are definitely a few Chrysler cars, other than Jeeps, that should be brought in as CBUs asap. I think the following cars from Chrysler side would do FIAT's image a lot of good.

1. Chrysler 300
2. Dodge Charger
3. Dodge Challenger
4. SRT Viper

A few FIAT dealers, in the big metros, can be asked to sell and service these cars. These wont do much volumes, but they will generate a lot of positive vibes.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 15:19   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
following cars from Chrysler side would do FIAT's image a lot of good.

1. Chrysler 300
2. Dodge Charger
3. Dodge Challenger
4. SRT Viper
I agree with you and Jeep launch is one such image boost that will be doing for FIAT India. Don't want to disappoint you, but I don't think FIAT has any plans to bring in the vehicles you mentioned to India at the moment. Trust me.
Vehicles would be homologated before launching, even as CBUs, and you would have spotted them while testing just like Jeeps were, but this news is false. I too wish what you said was true as it would open a new segment with American muscle around Indian streets.
Old 11th June 2013, 17:42   #669
BHPian

Not sure if it is O.T. Can we now say that we have a reliable turbo setup in the T-Jet which can be used in the Palios or Puntos? Spares and reliability shouldn't be an issue as it is OEM and the only problem might be the ECU and the space(in palios, esp 1.6)?
Old 12th June 2013, 08:09   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Not sure if it is O.T. Can we now say that we have a reliable turbo setup in the T-Jet which can be used in the Palios or Puntos? Spares and reliability shouldn't be an issue as it is OEM and the only problem might be the ECU and the space(in palios, esp 1.6)?
I think sourcing the turbo itself may not be an issue but just considering the amount of plumbing/modifications involved and the associated complexities, it would be a huge concern in terms of reliability and performance.

Coming to the punto, well just wait for the punto abarth. If one already owns a punto looking to turbocharge easiest route without any headaches.

The Palio, while an awesome car in its day (I owned a GTX) does not come close to the punto or linea in terms of dynamics. The GTX already has so so brakes and with even more power thats one dangerous situation.

Cheers,
Manoj
vvmanoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 10:19   #671
Senior - BHPian

Had a word with one of the dealers yesterday , they are expecting the official communication for the pricing across India to reach them today sometime. But this is fiat for you , its been 2 days since they have launched the car and they still cannot get the pricing out - almost every other manufacturer already has the pricing decided when the car is out

The world knows there is an Active model , and yet 2 days later the website is still not updated.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:30   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
What is the driveability difference between the 1.3MJD and the 1.4Tjet? The torque and power quoted are almost the same. Can anyone, who has driven both, clarify this?
I typed the reply for your post minutes after you asked here, then deleted it thinking Karthik is the best person to reply. Now adding my points below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I have the 1.3MJD VGT and the 1.4 T-Jet, so I'll try to answer this query. The MultiJet, being a diesel has more torque which is produced slightly earlier, and has a narrow power band. The usable power is in the region of 1500-3000 rpm (after which the diesel engine starts screaming in protest).

A conventional NA petrol, say for eg. the Linea 1.4 NA petrol engine has most of the usable power coming in after 3000rpm, which makes it very sluggish at city speeds and at lower rpms, but very pleasurable at higher rpms.

The T-Jet engine retains all the high-revving characteristics of a NA petrol, and in addition to that it produces its peak torque at ~2000 rpm like a diesel. Basically it is like combining the best of both worlds. You can potter around like a diesel all day long at 1500 rpm, or you can redline in each gear like a superbike utilizing the higher end of the rev range. Neither of the former 2 groups (NA petrol or turbo diesel) can match the performance of a turbo petrol for the same engine displacement.

Coming back to your question now, the MultiJet has a usable rpm range of 1500-3000 rpm, while the T-Jet has a usable rpm range of 1500-5500 rpm with the power evenly spread out across the rev range once turbo kicks in.

While the MultiJet's power delivery starts to taper off around 3000 rpm and saturates, the T-Jet's power delivery becomes more and more explosive all the way until the 5500 rpm redline. Perhaps you can take a test drive of both the cars back to back and compare to clarify your doubts .

P.S - As a general guideline, you can check the rpm values at which the peak torque and peak power figures are produced. That rpm difference zone gives a rough indication of the 'pleasure zone'; this applies to any car. For eg, in a T-Jet, the peak torque comes in ~2000 rpm and peak power at ~5000 rpm. So the pleasure zone where you experience the 'pushed to the seats' feeling is very wide, between 2000 and 5000 rpm.

The MJD with a tuning box/ remap behaves very similar to the TJet in its nature- but still - unlike what the paper figures suggest, TJet feels a lot more powerful because of the wide enjoyable powerband and a bigger 'pushed to the seats' feeling when the turbo kicks in.

However- another unsung hero is the refinement. A diesel will always be a diesel. The way TJet screams in the turbo zone is a welcome change from the diesel clatter- one encourages you to push it more, the other requests you to back off the throttle.

To me- I feel TJet is so ideal (Disclaimer- I Only had few short drives though). I have always preferred cars with low end torque for city use and the Jet suits the bill perfectly. And for the highways you require a free revving petrol to have fun- and the Jet rewards here too. A best of both worlds story...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th June 2013 at 11:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 16:58   #673
BHPian

Been to Hyson motors Kochi and took test drive of new T-Jet. Nothing much has changed, she looks gorgeous and even 195 mm ground clearance didnt hamper the looks and handling. Engiene note is addictive and the MID was show 9.2 Kmts/Ltr.
Fit and finish has improved a lot and the car I tested was near to perfection. Not sure plastic quality has improved or not but it looks better in light beige and black combo. they are yet to get the official price list but top end Emotion will be 8.6/8 as per the print out given to me and there is detailed featrue wise comparison with Honday city will all the feature T-Jet is cheaper than top spec City. This looks like an irresistable deal and I started hating my 7 months old Scorpio VLX :(. Fiat should have launched this 6 months back when I sold off my 2.5 year Punto. One thing I would say...yes I'm tempted.
BMW-X5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 17:04   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I have always preferred cars with low end torque for city use and the Jet suits the bill perfectly. And for the highways you require a free revving petrol to have fun- and the Jet rewards here too. A best of both worlds story...
CD sir. I am looking for a replacement for my 2010 Fiesta 1.6. With my Fiesta ,my legs starts aching in B2B traffic. I believe its due to long clutch travel. Will T-Jet fit the bill?
Old 12th June 2013, 17:37   #675
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if anyone has seen this television advertisement yet, stumbled upon them and thought i would share. These are for the new T-Jet but i have not seen them so far or for that matter any advertisement anywhere

puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks