Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 11:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)

This is a much needed move to maintain the sales target / figures. This move might trigger some of the Ecosport buyers to shift their opinion in favour of Duster.

Will Nissan also follow this route with the sibling?

Cheers
Old 8th August 2014, 12:22   #92
Team-BHP Support

My take: Its good to have the AWD. It would help the Renault branding. The sales however may not change majorly. The AWD is small community. Bulk sales for such cars would still come from the 2WD versions only.

Last edited by ampere : 8th August 2014 at 12:26.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 08:39   #93
BHPian

Spotted a few 4WD Dusters outside Marriot in Hinjewadi, Pune. Couldnt click many pictures as I was on the move. Will upload the picture from home. It looked like an event for Auto journalists, saw the lady from Autocar show.
swapnilup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:54   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
Spotted a few 4WD Dusters outside Marriot in Hinjewadi, Pune. Couldnt click many pictures as I was on the move. Will upload the picture from home. It looked like an event for Auto journalists, saw the lady from Autocar show.
Could you please confirm if it was only 4WD on current duster or was facelifted as well?
Old 14th August 2014, 10:08   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The sales however may not change majorly. The AWD is small community......
Renault seems to be targeting the niche but loyal 4x4 community with their AWD Duster. I am sure they have been noting the sales of the competition very closely.
The Mahindra Thar wholesale figures hovers around 500 units on a monthly average. The XUV AWD sells around 150 copies a month and Safari 4x4 around 100 monthly units. If Renault can achieve even half of that figure , around 250-300 per month they would have achieved their aim.

Of course, THAR is priced much lower than Duster AWD but the THAR also suffers from build and fit and finish which are a couple of notches down when compared to the Duster.

The Duster's aim would be eat into the XUV AWD and Safari 4x4 sales pie. Also remember Maruti, most probably will come in with a AWD version of their soon to be launched S-Cross, so in a way Renault is pre-empting competition.

What I have seen from various YouTube videos, the Duster AWD seems to be pretty capable in the muck. Also the AWD Dusty has an independent rear suspension, (because of the rear diff), and a birdie tells me, Renault will also equip it with Cruise Control and ESP.
You never know - this might just be the car to rev up the niche AWD segment.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 10:11   #96
BHPian

^^ If your birdie is so true, the pricing will be more ridiculous as its already on the higher side for what Duster offers !

Prem.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:29   #97
BHPian

I saw the AWD Duster at Renault Baner (Pune).
It was in service section - standing out

It had AWD stickering on rear quarter panels & chrome badging just near the RxL badge.

People weren't exactly allowed to check it out, but the SA just showed me a glimpse of 2 things done "better" than the outgoing Dusters.
  • Front doors get partial (double) beading on the body side.
  • There are "two" rubber bullets at the bottom against the "one" as in the current crop.
This surely makes a lot of difference in the way the duster door sounds when closed shut
a lot less flimsy, I would say.

The SA claims it also reduces possibilities of creaks/water ingress.

Photographs were not allowed.
I wasn't able to check out the gearing options/buttons/knobs in that brief time.. :/

Ace.
driverace is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 10:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

Duster 4X4 gallary on ACI http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...ry-389886.aspx
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 12:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
If Renault can achieve even half of that figure , around 250-300 per month they would have achieved their aim.
Very True, there is definitely a market for compact 4x4/AWD SUV. The Safari/Scorpio/XUV 4x4 is too large for everyday use. Not to mention the quality issues associated with them.

The Duster AWD with it's compact dimensions and ground clearance of 205mm will be much more capable than the trio. Thar maybe a bit more capable but it is too rudimentary and can be used at best as a second car by most people. Duster AWD will do 95% of what a Thar CRDe can do and do it also carry your family in comfort. Given that majority of buyers will buy on EMI, it makes sense to get the Duster AWD than Thar CRDe if they are going to buy only one vehicle. I am definitely going for this one as I have a Thar DI 4x4 for my really rough stuff.

Quote:
and a birdie tells me, Renault will also equip it with Cruise Control and ESP.
Your birdie is correct cause if you see the pics posted on autocar india you will see the ESP off button.

Quote:
You never know - this might just be the car to rev up the niche AWD segment.
Definitely. This will take away sales from Scorpio/Safari/XUV 4x4 and also the Thar CRDe to some extend.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 12:33   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Could you please confirm if it was only 4WD on current duster or was facelifted as well?
from the glimpse it did not look like there is any exterior change. The alloys were of different colour. Did not get anything more than this. Sorry.
swapnilup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 13:25   #101
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the launch of this car. Its a perfect car suited for both city as well as out of town trips on not so city roads. I hope renault understands the indian buyers sentiments and price it accordingly.
Old 14th August 2014, 13:33   #102
Team-BHP Support

A lot of people may feel that duster with no low range may not be as capable as safari/scorpio.
But consider these points
1. Much lighter, much less likely go get bogged down
2. 6 gears in 4WD. 1st gear is pretty short, so steep climbs not an issue, esp with the low weight.

This will be just as capable as a stock Scorio or Safari, and in sand/slush, it will outdo these two due to lower weight.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 14:08   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A lot of people may feel that duster with no low range may not be as capable as safari/scorpio.
Duster 4x4 will go beyond Scoripo/Safari 4x4 for a number of reasons:

1) As you pointed out the weight advantage is there over these two.
2) 1st Gear is 4.45 to 1 as opposed to 3.73 to 1 for Scorpio 4x4 & Duster 2WD. Not sure what it is for safari
3) Final drive ratio is 4.86 compared to 4.3 for Scorpio/Safari. 2WD Duster is 3.55
4) 4x4 Duster has Traction Control/ESP. This means that any spinning wheel will be braked and in 4x4 Lock mode, it will climb if any one wheel has traction. This is equivilant to having front/rear & center diff locks.
5) Ground Clearance of Scorpio 4x4 is only 180 mmm. The Honda Mobilo has 189 mm.

In my opinion a 4x4 duster will go anywhere a Thar CRDe will go.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 14:37   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Duster 4x4 will go beyond Scoripo/Safari 4x4 for a number of reasons:

1) As you pointed out the weight advantage is there over these two.
2) 1st Gear is 4.45 to 1 as opposed to 3.73 to 1 for Scorpio 4x4 & Duster 2WD. Not sure what it is for safari
Yes, but in low range both scorpio and Safari with reduction will beat this
But then due to low weight, this point is not very important

Quote:
4) 4x4 Duster has Traction Control/ESP. This means that any spinning wheel will be braked and in 4x4 Lock mode, it will climb if any one wheel has traction. This is equivilant to having front/rear & center diff locks.
Interesting!
Quote:
5) Ground Clearance of Scorpio 4x4 is only 180 mmm. The Honda Mobilo has 189 mm.

In my opinion a 4x4 duster will go anywhere a Thar CRDe will go.
[/quote]
Actually, you cannot directly compare ladder on frame GC to monoque GC. The average GC of ladder on frame will be higher. For example, in Scorpio(180mm) and Safari(205mm), the lowest point is the low hanging center diff. So there is one point which you need to avoid. For example. when driving in ruts, you need to make sure that the highest point is not the center.

In monoque, there is no such luxury.
Due to this, ladder on frame vehicles can do trails where required GC is actually more than actual GC if the driver in skilled.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quite a few details as per this ACI article
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-389897.aspx
  • New soft touch dashboard
  • New instrument cluster
  • Cruise control
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks