Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 15:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)

I'm a little confused, the decals on the new duster say AWD. So would be all-time AWD or 2WD & 4WD?
Old 14th August 2014, 15:44   #107

Spy shots of Duster 4X4 in cartoq:

http://www.cartoq.com/2014-renault-d...4x4-suv-india/
Old 14th August 2014, 16:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm a little confused, the decals on the new duster say AWD. So would be all-time AWD or 2WD & 4WD?
As you can see in one of the pictures showing the 4X4 dial, it has 3 positions: 2Wd, Auto and 4WD Lock position.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:32   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like there are two variants of the 4x4 version as I see 4x4 version with steel wheels and alloys. I hope there is something in the 10 lakh range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, but in low range both scorpio and Safari with reduction will beat this
But then due to low weight, this point is not very important
Definitely the Scorpio/Safari has much lower gearing in 1 Low and if you want to crawl down steep slopes, it will not have the control of 1 Low with a proper low range transfer case.

When you factor in a 4.3 final drive ration the Scorpio 1L will be something like 7.5:1. Duster 4x4 with 4.86 will have a comparable 1 ratio of 5.14 when you factor in a 13% shorter final drive compared to scorpio/safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For example. when driving in ruts, you need to make sure that the highest point is not the center.
I had 4x4 Scorpio. Sometimes, when driving through single lane/narrow forest tracks/estate roads where the wheel track has been dug in deep, and there is a retaining wall on the sides resulting in a narrow track, I used to end up always scraping the underside. In Mahindra's case, the transfer case also hangs like an old man's ____. There is not excuse for GC 180mm is too low for any 4x4 vehicle.

But, I do agree with your point that with Solid axle the vehicle can be driven with skill to overcome come GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
This is a standard clutch pack based system used in most soft road 4x4 like CRV, Honda Piliot, X-Trail, Koleos, etc, etc. These vehicles have not transfer case. From the engine a shaft goes to the rear differential which has clutch pack that engages only when wheel slippage is detected. This system cannot be run in AWD mode or Full-time 4x4 mode like Toyota Fortuner/Prado/Landrcruiser, Mitsu Pajero/Motero or even the Audi Quattro/subaru type systems. 90% of time only the Front wheels are turning. Torque is transferred to rear wheels only 1) When front wheels are slipping or 2) When you engage the Lock button. But the lock button automatically disengages after vehicle hits a per-determined speed. Lock is only to extricate yourself from a stuck situation and cannot be used permanently.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th August 2014 at 17:41. Reason: Added more information.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 18:22   #110
BHPian

When will the era of Petrol 4x4 SUVs dawn in India? Now that there is no subsidy on Diesel, a petrol 4x4 would have been a 1st in the market. Yes, I do know gypsy exists, but isn't that ages old?!
Old 14th August 2014, 20:16   #111
BHPian

Captured today morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)-1408027564080.jpg  

swapnilup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 22:56   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @Junaid42465

Do you think a monocoque body shell of the Duster can take the abuse of rough terrain like the ladder frame one?

I am sure it can't, despite whatever the company may claim, & it best it is a Dirt Trail Buster (as the name suggests), & for hardcore offroading you may need something more capable than this.
Hi I own duster and taken it to places where other heavy vehicles can never reach the duster chassis is strong enough to handle ruts and the light weight never let's it bog down and ground clearance is another advantage I am telling all this in 2wd mode and we cane imagine 4wd it would definitely compete with best off-roaders you can check youtube videos if you want to believe
Old 15th August 2014, 09:32   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
Hi I own duster and taken it to places where other heavy vehicles can never reach the duster chassis is strong enough to handle ruts and the light weight never let's it bog down and ground clearance is another advantage I am telling all this in 2wd mode and we cane imagine 4wd it would definitely compete with best off-roaders you can check Youtube videos if you want to believe
Not the best of off roaders, but better than most monocoque SUV's available in India.

For sure, it will be a better alternative than a AWD XUV/Yeti/CR-V etc to take it to the off beaten track.

Not so sure as to how would it fare against Outlander & GV. But then, they are petrols, one is off from production line for India & the other barely sells. Others maybe 2X more expensive than Duster.

Auto Car has explained the features a bit, whereas OD has copy pasted the press preview in name of First Drive.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:47   #114
Team-BHP Support

I would have loved it if they had mated the AWD with the 85bhp version also. A top end 85 AWD and a topend 110 AWD would have made a lot of sense. Have seen some of the 85bhp AWD videos. Looks quite impressive.
Old 16th August 2014, 08:38   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Was very impressed with AWD capabilities of Duster during the preview drives last two days.

Consider standing start with full steering lock in deep red mud slush. The vehicle AWD system keeps transferring power from wheel to wheel and car comes out easily. Sitting in side with AWD at auto position it barely felt that we were driving through tough terrain. Dare I say that I would not have trusted my GV to do this slush.

Same happened when we were doing a grassy slope with a ninety left at bottom that did not allow any momentum build up. Wheels just kept slipping but the car went up the slope without too much drama.

Power to weight is excellent, peppy engine mated with AWD system and matched gear ratios makes it a good package. The car I drove came with M&S Wanderers. The car also had excellent handling and it was super fun going up and down Lavasa Temghar section.
sudev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 09:04   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Dare I say that I would not have trusted my GV to do this slush.
Very significant statement, especially coming from a long time GV owner. What do you think makes the difference, the diesel engine and lighter weight? Is it as tough as the GV, can it fly over potholes without a care. Good to know there is a cheaper alternative to GV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
When will the era of Petrol 4x4 SUVs dawn in India? Now that there is no subsidy on Diesel, a petrol 4x4 would have been a 1st in the market. Yes, I do know gypsy exists, but isn't that ages old?!
Don't forget Grand Vitara, CR-V and Outlander.
Old 16th August 2014, 09:43   #117

The Duster 4WD on Adventure model has stunning looks. Indian buyer segment is wary of looks also in addition to manufacturing marvels. The handling & maneuverability of 2WD is immensely better than many car in this segment, hence expect the 4WD to go a notch better. Moreover there are no body rolls as compared to Scorpio or Yeti. Should be success.
aroana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 09:44   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is it as tough as the GV, can it fly over potholes without a care. Good to know there is a cheaper alternative to GV.
Easily. It has been designed for non existent roads. The ride quality and ability to fly over any type of roads sets the Duster apart. The 2WD already has the best ride quality in any vehicle below 20L. I cannot imagine now with independant rear suspension how they have bettered that.

Remember the duster has been designed with just the basics to take this kind of abuse.

If you watch some youtube videos of the Duster AWD you will be surprised at what it can manage.

Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 10:14   #119
Senior - BHPian

From the reviews (from various magazines) so far I could gather following points:
  1. Light clutch compared to the 2WD version
  2. Very low first gear, almost working as low range
  3. Tweaked ICU which delivers better low end
  4. New instrument cluster
  5. Audio controls on the steering wheel (not behind)
  6. Cruise control
  7. Black-gray interiors
  8. ESP and Hill start
Sounds good so far. Wish they could stretch the wheelbase by 10 cm and make it 5+2 which would have filled the void in the 15-20 lac (7 seater SUV) segment

Last edited by Guna : 16th August 2014 at 10:41.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 10:22   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Was very impressed with AWD capabilities of Duster during the preview drives last two days.

Consider standing start with full steering lock in deep red mud slush. The vehicle AWD system keeps transferring power from wheel to wheel and car comes out easily. Sitting in side with AWD at auto position it barely felt that we were driving through tough terrain. Dare I say that I would not have trusted my GV to do this slush.

Same happened when we were doing a grassy slope with a ninety left at bottom that did not allow any momentum build up. Wheels just kept slipping but the car went up the slope without too much drama.

Power to weight is excellent, peppy engine mated with AWD system and matched gear ratios makes it a good package. The car I drove came with M&S Wanderers. The car also had excellent handling and it was super fun going up and down Lavasa Temghar section.

Sudev,

Was it a 108 BHP variant or a 85 BHP variant? This surely makes it a part of my consideration set. What has kept it out of my shortlist is the high price for a car with average specs. I would like to see a comparo between the duster AWD and the S Cross AWD.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks