Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 16:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
No, this is not the same. Interior is exactly on the lines of the sketch posted.
The sketch resembles more of current gen Swift/dzire/ertiga, except for a touchscreen audio/navigation system perhaps.

Makes sense if suzuki wants to cut some costs. the premium interiors(Current interiors are very much premium under 10Lakh) might be seen on the 10 lakh+ SUV/ sedans that maruti will launch here.
Old 13th August 2013, 22:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
The sketch resembles more of current gen Swift/dzire/ertiga, except for a touchscreen audio/navigation system perhaps.

Makes sense if suzuki wants to cut some costs. the premium interiors(Current interiors are very much premium under 10Lakh) might be seen on the 10 lakh+ SUV/ sedans that maruti will launch here.
Well the dashboard is definitely a new design. The steering wheel is the same as the Swift. Power window switches also seem to a straight lift. Difficult to comment about the instrument console from the sketch. Could be the Swift's again with bluish white illumination instead of orange but that IMO, is taking parts sharing a bit too far.
Old 19th August 2013, 00:59   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more details on the YL1-
  • Similar variants to other Maruti cars, L, V and Z spec.
  • Z Spec has 195/55 R16 Tires, same size as top end Verna, Lower V spec variant gets 15 inch alloys and L grade trim will have steel rims.
  • Lowest spec Lxi/Ldi Trim gets same Head Unit and manual HVAC controls as Swift.
  • Gearbox has exact same feel as Swift/Ertiga.
  • Diesel Engine gets Hydraulic Mounts and Heavy damping, Maruti seems to be serious about low NVH.
  • Rear Bench space in the league of Nissan Sunny/Scala.
  • Key for top end variant with Keyless function looks fabulous to hold.
  • Top end Z spec variant has chrome handles similar to Verna, request sensor looks similar too.
  • Raised stance due to high Ground Clearance makes the car profile look weird from side view. Expect generous GC though not as much as Crossover derived SX4
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

@.anshuman, if this car would be as big as the Sunny/ Scala, would have heavy damping & would have wider tyres (which are bit more heavy), what is your opinion on the performance, which I fear could be average (also taking into account the weight of the sheet metal than Maruti Suzuki uses for its cars... bit heavier than Nissan & Toyota IMO)?

After all many people comment on Linea's average performance with the 1.25L MJD with 93 PS, & this car would also get the 1.25L MJD with VGT, (probably with 90 PS like the SX4).
Old 19th August 2013, 12:02   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
After all many people comment on Linea's average performance with the 1.25L MJD with 93 PS, & this car would also get the 1.25L MJD with VGT, (probably with 90 PS like the SX4).
Nobody amongst us has driven the YL1, so let's just wait for the car to come out. Going through the details, i guess YL1 will be positioned a bit lower than Vento and Verna.

I do believe 1.3 Multijet(and some other Engines in this segment) even in 90hp trim is weak for cars of this segment. It sort of serves the purpose, that's all, but i believe Maruti does not have access to bigger Diesel engine suited for this purpose. Some BHPians suggest Maruti should localise the 1.6 MJD, if they really have access to this engine they should bring it here. But we all know Maruti is not adventurous with such stuff, they just follow the trends when they are absolutely sure of them.

Regarding Linea, the performance is let down by weird choice of gear ratios and i don't know what, the same engine in 90hp state of tune performs better in SX4 and Ertiga. I expect the YL1 to be lighter than Sx4, expect slightly better performance.

If you ask me what my benchmark engine for the segment is- i'd say Verna 1.6 CRDi with shorter gearing. The 1.6 TDI engine used in Vento/Rapid is also close but is let down by high NVH.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th November 2013 at 12:52. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 12:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Will it handle like every new age Suzuki should? I mean what was wrong with the SX4's chassis? Could the Ertiga's chassis really be up for the job?

Also I'm sure MS has some sort of plan regarding larger diesel engines if they plan on pushing anything more than hatchbacks. Even the engines that Maruti is claimed to be developing, don't seem very exciting. People say that it is because of brand value that larger MS vehicles don't sell; I think it is just the lack of a competitive diesel engine. I mean look at Hyundai: just some new funky styling, poor chassis, features and a silky smooth and powerful diesel motor. The Verna sold like hot cakes, the i20 captured many sales. If the Elantra revived the D1 segment's sales in India, why isn't the Sonata with its fresh styling and features not selling atleast a few numbers each month? NO DIESEL

PS: I detest the "fluidic" styling myself and so do I, Diesel engines. However I don't want to see a company fail in our oil burner favouring country because of the lack of them and I believe one ought to appreciate Hyundai's strategy to success

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th August 2013 at 12:44.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do believe 1.3 Multijet(and some other Engines in this segment) even in 90hp trim is weak for cars of this segment. It sort of serves the purpose, that's all, but i believe Maruti does not have access to bigger Diesel engine suited for this purpose. Some BHPians suggest Maruti should localise the 1.6 MJD, if they really have access to this engine they should it here. But we all know Maruti is not adventurous with such stuff, they just follow the trends when they are absolutely sure of them.
There has been talk about Suzuki developing a 1.4 liter turbo diesel engine. So, once that comes in, Maruti might begin using that engine on most of its cars.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 16:14   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Actual Photographs added on Pg.1 Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3212359

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th August 2013 at 16:15.
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 16:26   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Actual Photographs added on Pg.1 Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3212359

Thanks Anushuman! Was waiting for that. Nice sleek design. They copied Honda City! Designers might have City in their mind while designing this.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again @.anshuman... The car surely stands out as a handsome brat (keeping in line with the SX4 tagline MS had adopted last time), & has the capability to turn tables in the segment for the company on the basis of looks only.

Hopefully they will come up with similar good design, & equally good engines in bigger segment as well. Not that the Kizashi's engine is bad, but it is a size bigger for the car, & IMO there should be a 1.8-2 L engine as well to cater to masses who care for fuel efficiency (after all we have people going for BMW 520d & likes).
Old 19th August 2013, 18:11   #71
BHPian

If this car performs as good as it looks, it will be a good fight between Honda City and Maruti. I only hope that this car performs as well as the SX4 in the crash tests. The 1.3 DDiS is a tad disappointing as it will soon lead to a performance handicap when compared the the 2014 Honda City that is due to be launched.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

Excited as everyone and disappointed on the engine fronts. Suzuki needs to bring bigger petrols and diesel to India. Otherwise with their pricing, the taxi segment would lap up these cars.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:53   #73
Senior - BHPian

Its really Amazing scoop!

1) LDi has Projector headlamps !!! Very nice step Maruti.
2) Wheels looks a size smaller IMO.
3) Overall A-pillar looks like Ertiga, and the entire car is derived from Ertiga it seems.
4) Rear has a hint of Sail sedan too.
5) Maruti needs competent motors now. The small car segment is strong in Maruti portfolio, but a K series 1.6 and also 1.6 deisel would be needed for this car. The hood is massive and can accommodate 1.6.
6) Space looks like to be good enough and the C-pillar design indicates shorter boot ( not less volume ) lid but good rear headroom.

A very nice and sincere effort from Maruti. Price of Lxi should be near to Dzire Vdi ( i.e. cheaper than SX4 ) IMO to make great inroads in the segment.

EDIT: What is approximate launch date ? Looks like it might hit the showroom floor just after Auto Expo 2014. Wish that this is a surprise launch during Diwali.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th August 2013 at 18:58.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice and capable of setting some new benchmarks in the sub 10-lakh segment. If this is going to be positioned against the Vento/Rapid/Verna then this is the replacement of the SX4 in Indian market, right?
Old 19th August 2013, 19:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Where will they get bigger diesels from. The one they are using (1.3 L) is licensed from FIAT and they are not getting any others from them. Besides the one they themselves are developing is rumoured to be even smaller.

As for the petrols they had bigger ones (2.0 & 2.4L) here before in the Kizashi as well as in the Grand Vitara. In our market where a mere 1.8L in the Civic failed and similar sized petrol is floundering in the Corolla, what chance does a bigger engine from Suzuki have especially with their non premium image. The current SX4 started out with a 1.6L and it sold in poor numbers till they plonked in the 1.3MJD. I doubt if MSL will offer anything bigger than their current line-up. Of course they might go the turbo charged / supercharged way as that seems to be the in thing to do these days and not just in our market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Excited as everyone and disappointed on the engine fronts. Suzuki needs to bring bigger petrols and diesel to India. Otherwise with their pricing, the taxi segment would lap up these cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks