Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 10:54   #601
BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

It was rumored earlier that Sway (the sedan version) would be priced at 3.99 lakhs, indicating petrol of course. If Zica does not start at 3.5 lakhs and is priced in the range of 4 lakhs, expect Zica's sales to not exceed at 2k per month. I feel this way because Celerio starts at 4 lakhs and it has a head-on advantage. Of course, Grand I10 starts at 4.8 lakhs and even at 4 lakhs, a Zica has 80K less advantage. But it may run into comparison with the Celerio and after the initial zeal, it would not have much sales. It is interesting to see the Zica's pricing.
Old 16th December 2015, 11:03   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
It was rumored earlier that Sway (the sedan version) would be priced at 3.99 lakhs, indicating petrol of course. If Zica does not start at 3.5 lakhs and is priced in the range of 4 lakhs, expect Zica's sales to not exceed at 2k per month. I feel this way because Celerio starts at 4 lakhs and it has a head-on advantage. Of course, Grand I10 starts at 4.8 lakhs and even at 4 lakhs, a Zica has 80K less advantage. But it may run into comparison with the Celerio and after the initial zeal, it would not have much sales. It is interesting to see the Zica's pricing.
I agree. Tata should do a master stroke and price the base at 3.5 lac ex showroom. After 6 months of good sale period they can hike the prices like other manufacturers do. Also, they have to keep a price gap open for Sway which can't be too close to Zest cos as in Zest is already struggling Inspite of being a very good product.

So, the start price for -
Zica- 3.5-3.6 ex showroom
Sway - 4.10 ex showroom
Bolt- 4.45 ex showroom
Zest- 4.88 ex showroom

This gives them a perfect portfolio from which buyers can pick any of it in their intended budget.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 06:40   #603
BHPian

Power Drift's First Drive video is up. I didnt see it earlier in the comments. I apologise if I am posting it again. The car looks really good and solid! The interiors- wow!! Premium!! This is going to be a winner if the price is good!!

sairamboko is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 22:16   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar's Video Review of the Zica:

Did not notice the weights before. 1012 for the petrol and 1080 for the diesel. That is pretty heavy. Also again calls out a Sub 4L expected price.

Source: Autocar

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th December 2015 at 22:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 00:12   #605
BHPian

I, personally, don't quite get the weight bit. Here's what I don't understand, pretty much everyone has stated that the new Figo doesn't feel as solid as the old one & a number of people have put this down to the lighter build - and I mean only the build - even our review has commented on it, not specifically that its build quality is poor but that it doesn't feel as well built as the previous generation Figo. The Zica has pretty much the same dimensions as the previous gen Figo, whose kerb weight was 1030 for the titanium petrol & 1130 for the diesel.
Everyone seems to be implying that the new Figo is lighter than it ought to be and they kinda like the previous generation car's heft but in the case of the Zica everyone seems to be commenting on the weight negatively.
Are we to understand that the Zica is heavy but feels flimsy? Not sure what to make of it. I've used the Figo as an example because the older model was very similar to Zica in terms of dimensions & weight, and we all seemed to love it because it felt - and was - better than some of the competition. A little confused here...

P.S. I realise that the new Figo's EPS has also contributed to the 'un-Ford-like' feeling but almost every reviewer and owner has had a comment on the lighter build of the new Figo.
da_lowrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 01:04   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
I, personally, don't quite get the weight bit. Here's what I don't understand, pretty much everyone has stated that the new Figo doesn't feel as solid as the old one & a number of people have put this down to the lighter build - and I mean only the build - even our review has commented on it, not specifically that its build quality is poor but that it doesn't feel as well built as the previous generation Figo. The Zica has pretty much the same dimensions as the previous gen Figo, whose kerb weight was 1030 for the titanium petrol & 1130 for the diesel.
Everyone seems to be implying that the new Figo is lighter than it ought to be and they kinda like the previous generation car's heft but in the case of the Zica everyone seems to be commenting on the weight negatively.
Are we to understand that the Zica is heavy but feels flimsy? Not sure what to make of it. I've used the Figo as an example because the older model was very similar to Zica in terms of dimensions & weight, and we all seemed to love it because it felt - and was - better than some of the competition. A little confused here...

P.S. I realise that the new Figo's EPS has also contributed to the 'un-Ford-like' feeling but almost every reviewer and owner has had a comment on the lighter build of the new Figo.

A lot of reviews are simply biased.

FYI, I own the previous Figo.

Yes , a lot of reviews have been talking about the lighter build of the new Figo but fail to mention the very very light tin can build of the Honda City and the Jazz.

I checked out the Jazz and City sometime back and the car simply felt so filmsy that I did not even want to go on a test drive . Sorry , no thanks , my life is precious and I have only one life.

Before someone comes up with the theory that Japanese cars like Honda are built light weight and the sheet metal crumbles to keep the occupants safe, there has been so much real world accident pictures to show that Honda has deleted certain cross bars of the chassis thus allowing the passenger cabin to crumble along with the sheetmetal harming the occupants.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 01:40   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

The service personnel have been going to the plant for trainings. Spoke to someone who has been trained. He says they got one of the test cars with 2L on the odo - and the engine was still good !
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 01:48   #608
BHPian

Any further news about the variants? I saw these cars being tested in Ladakh on the way to Khardung La as well when I was in Ladakh this June.

I quite like the car and am anticipating further details especially about the diesel.
Old 18th December 2015, 09:37   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
A lot of reviews are simply biased.

FYI, I own the previous Figo.

Yes , a lot of reviews have been talking about the lighter build of the new Figo but fail to mention the very very light tin can build of the Honda City and the Jazz.

I checked out the Jazz and City sometime back and the car simply felt so filmsy that I did not even want to go on a test drive . Sorry , no thanks , my life is precious and I have only one life.

Before someone comes up with the theory that Japanese cars like Honda are built light weight and the sheet metal crumbles to keep the occupants safe, there has been so much real world accident pictures to show that Honda has deleted certain cross bars of the chassis thus allowing the passenger cabin to crumble along with the sheet metal harming the occupants.
Safety is definitely a very important but underrated aspect in Indian market and nice to see you are passionate about it.

Yes the straight H always "claim" to have crumple zones , but its always a mystery whether their Indian cars are as safe at least structure wise - their website claims so, but real world customer feedback are mixed.

Regarding the real world accident pictures - do you have any pictures or know where i can find them to understand the deleted structural elements? We have members on the forum who have survived nasty crashes on the Jazz and vouch for its build ( the old version though). During my personal test drive of the jazz - i did not find it tinny at all - in fact i would say the "Baleno" is "tinnier".

The reason why i am asking is i am considering a new Jazz and i don't want to go and buy it if strong evidence exists that its not safe .

On a side note - the Indian Ford Figo also failed the crash test along with Swift and Grand i10, surprising why Jazz was not among those tested.

Why can't the Honda management simply be pro-active about it and say the Indian jazz is as good at least structurally compared to say the Japanese one?

Coming back to Zica - it is really refreshing to see and hope Tata succeeds with Zica - they are truly turning a new leaf with their good designs, better interiors and relatively stronger build
Old 18th December 2015, 18:33   #610
Senior - BHPian

Whatever Tata does, it attracts negative publicity. A two cylinder diesel was praised to sky, three cylinder Tata unit is ridiculed. Other brands which weigh more are solid, same with Tata is cumbersome.
simplyself is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 14:16   #611
BHPian

It is sad to see that when an auto manufacturer makes an honest effort to work on the shortcomings and complaints of it's products and actually take action to innovate and improve it's future products, it falls prey to the taken-for-granted impression and attitude of the consumers. Written off even before it is given a fair chance to prove the mettle of its latest products!

I personally feel that the Zica is an excellent and honest effort from Tata in bringing better and more competitive products into the market. I do get a strong intuition that it is a superior product than its competitors and the segment it is targeted at. I will wait for the official Team BHP review though, to affirm on how the car really is, since there seems to be a lot of contraction and incoherence in the reviews seen so far.
Gosu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 20:16   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Just noticed one thing in the interior picture, does anyone know what is this? There's 2kg written on it?
Image:
Attachment 1446221
That's the carry bag holder with load capacity of 2Kg.

You can see a similar hook in the boot. I've seen it on top right (close to the door).

One can press the holder to flip it. Very nice and useful addition
elishae is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 13:02   #613
BHPian

Bhpians - I am very much interested to get Zica. Should I wait for Sway to launch or can I go ahead with the booking? I dont really care about boot space, but extra space is no harm According to showroom guys, the launch should be around Pongal/Sankranthi. Also I am confused with Petrol or diesel. My total daily commute is 20kms and 1 road trip every month - minimum 300kms one way. If diesel is priced aptly, I am willing to consider it.
Old 1st January 2016, 14:05   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Bhpians - I am very much interested to get Zica. Should I wait for Sway to launch or can I go ahead with the booking? I dont really care about boot space, but extra space is no harm According to showroom guys, the launch should be around Pongal/Sankranthi. Also I am confused with Petrol or diesel. My total daily commute is 20kms and 1 road trip every month - minimum 300kms one way. If diesel is priced aptly, I am willing to consider it.
There is no official word of Sway launch. In general you may consider 6 to 8 months after Zica launch. Since you are covering approx 1000 km / month, Petrol would be a better option. But you may decide after a test-drive.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 14:06   #615
Senior - BHPian

I must say, the interiors look very beautiful. Wouldn't look out of place in a 7L car. And the Autocar review claims that the quality matches up too. Great going, Tata!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks