Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 13:43   #556
BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

Went through the complete 30 min video of Adil D first thing in the morning!! He really seems to have liked the Zica . I think few things which are undisputed is that quality of materials, fit and finish, ride quality and list of features are all awesome!

I went through pics put up by various websites and attention to detail is mind-boggling! The speaker and tweeter grills have round holes at center which morph in to hexagons on circumference! Great to see Tata putting in efforts here.

Also read that the inserts like around AC vents and several others can be painted to colours of customer's choice by dealer. Will be so unTata to see car's interior sprinkled with orange / red all over!!

Last edited by noopster : 7th December 2015 at 22:53. Reason: Please check your PM
Old 7th December 2015, 13:55   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
Looks is one thing and sales figures is quite another. Tata cars are known to rattle within a few months of purchase and the after sales service is questionable. Resale value is nonexistant and the visibility of their cars is only due to taxi segment.

I for one will not put my money on Tata even though they may bring in the best looking cars ever.Quality, performance, reliability are the only factors leading to Customer satisfaction which in turn translate into resale value.

As of today whenever i see a car broken down and stopped on any highway with a mechanic diving inside the bonnet , it is 99% a tata poduct.
Can the Tata's deliver with this new product? I for one will wait and watch.If all decide to wait and watch who will buy?where will the sales come from?
I think that is a lot of sweeping generalization. Generally popularity in taxi segment is a good judge of maintainability and reliability. The Indica is still a best seller in the taxi market. So I do not think it is fair to say Tata is low on reliability.

The rattling and 99% numbers are also generalizations and I am sure a lot of the Tata owners would disagree with you.

I am not a Tata Owner nor do I have any leanings towards Tata, but I do appreciate the fact that they are trying hard to improve their products and innovate. Whether it is the Zest, Bolt and now the Zica, one common statement we see is that 'It is unlike any earlier Tata Product'. From design, features, price, performance-They are making an attempt to improve on all fronts. The Zest/Bolt was unlike anything Tata had given before and from the initial reports of the Zica at least from design/features and quality levels, they have upped the game further.

So while they may not perfect (But then which company/product is?) they deserve a fair chance and to me it does not make sense for someone in the market for a car to reject it just because 'It is a Tata'.
Rajeevraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 14:43   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Went through the complete 30 min video of Adil D first thing in the morning!! Either this is paid for by Tata or Zica has truly invigorated the fanboy in him.
Yes, in that video Adil did seem like he had a few cups too many of coffee, so over the moon he was

But Tata paid him? That's one thing knowing both Tata and Adil for many years I can say with certainty is impossible for both parties!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
IMO, the likes of Siddhart Patankar on NDTV Auto show appear to have a more balanced view.

I really hope that the Tata Zica does well. Good luck, Tata!
Yes, Sid did take the middle path in his review. My only problem is Sid knows precious little about cars, which is why he focuses on sweeping lines, curves and shape of the bumper.

For Chrissakes, the guy calls a Key Fob a Hob (kitchen gas-stove surface) and calls the gear shift 'nice and notchy' (a notchy gear shift is never nice). Over a decade in the trade he still hasn't got acquainted with the terms. His maybe the most watched auto show on TV but he sure ain't getting my respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Some of these reviews are frustratingly stupid (Zigwheels, for example) and some provide incomplete info like some interior panels can be painted orange - why only orange, it should be what the customer wants or any available colour.
What I could make out on the paintable panels is this - only the outboard AC vent surrounds are paintable. On the top versions they are 'piano black' by default. On red and orange cars body coloured outboard AC vent surrounds are available (std or optional unclear).

Last edited by Zappo : 7th December 2015 at 17:55. Reason: Try to respond at one go and edit and add within the first 20 minutes, if needed. Posts merged.
Ferruccio is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 14:55   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Yes, Sid did take the middle path in his review. My only problem is Sid knows precious little about cars, which is why he focuses on sweeping lines, curves and shape of the bumper.

For Chrissakes, the guy calls a Key Fob a Hob (kitchen gas-stove surface) and calls the gear shift 'nice and notchy' (a notchy gear shift is never nice). Over a decade in the trade he still hasn't got acquainted with the terms. His maybe the most watched auto show on TV but he sure ain't getting my respect!
That's why if you are serious about cars, you get on Team BHP!
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 15:37   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks is one thing and sales figures is quite another. Tata cars are known to rattle within a few months of purchase and the after sales service is questionable. Resale value is nonexistant and the visibility of their cars is only due to taxi segment.

I for one will not put my money on Tata even though they may bring in the best looking cars ever.Quality, performance, reliability are the only factors leading to Customer satisfaction which in turn translate into resale value.

As of today whenever i see a car broken down and stopped on any highway with a mechanic diving inside the bonnet , it is 99% a tata poduct.
Can the Tata's deliver with this new product? I for one will wait and watch.If all decide to wait and watch who will buy?where will the sales come from?
Sorry to sound offensive or rude. Please look elsewhere if you are not interested. No one is shoving it down your throat. For your information, there are plenty of people who are happy with what they see and extremely content with Tata. Please get out of the herd mentality and appreciate a vehicle for what it is and a manufacturer who has time and again brought India to the limelight.

4 years and 84000 kms later, I have no rattles on my Vista. For people who have not owned one, they wouldn't know much now, would they?
discoverwild is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 15:52   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Tata cars are known to rattle within a few months of purchase and the after sales service is questionable. Resale value is nonexistant and the visibility of their cars is only due to taxi segment.

I for one will not put my money on Tata even though they may bring in the best looking cars ever.

I dont think, without even owning a Tata car, one can make a huge sweeping statement. I personally own Tata Cars, they are rock solid, reliable, easy to maintain. May be a few niggles , here and there, which is present in my Fiat and Hyundai as well.

Secondly, regarding car breakdowns n highways...let me tell you my today morning observation while coming from Mumbai to Pune vis expressway. Saw 4 breakdowns on roads ( none are accidents ) ..to note.

The cars are Honda Mobilio, Hyundai EON, Maruti Ritz and another 1 dont remember. None are Tata Cars.

Definitely I have not taken photos to prove my point since that will look insulting to the person who is already troubled by breakdown/ problem in car.

Neither do I wish to label these Brands with 'breakdown % ' ....its individuals choice to select brand and car.

If you dont like Tata cars, stay away, nobody is coming and begging to you to buy one.

Remember, Tata Motor owns Jaguar Land Rover ...those cars are eye candies on road, we are proud of the Tatas for their cars, their honesty , VFM offers. Lets wait and see, am sure they will turnaround sooner than later and will earn more respect as a domestic player in coming years.
Amazing is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 16:05   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
The given information is wrong. The Zica Revotorq spins at around 2500 RPM in top gear at 100 km/hr while the Revotron spins at around 2700 RPM at same speeds.
Did you actually drive the car to justify making that allegation? Well I did, and 90 km/h ~ 2,000 rpm sounds just about right for the Revotorq. Get your facts checked.
Old 7th December 2015, 16:20   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Did you actually drive the car to justify making that allegation? Well I did, and 90 km/h ~ 2,000 rpm sounds just about right for the Revotorq. Get your facts checked.
My team member drove the car and thus I corrected the figures. As per your review which you are defending, it does 90-100 km/hr between 1800-2000 RPM and now you say it does 90 km/hr at 2000 RPM (which would mean 100 km/hr at around 2200 RPM)? Why the sudden change in numbers? A slight deviation is definitely possible but not of 500-700 RPM.
Old 7th December 2015, 16:51   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
My team member drove the car and thus I corrected the figures. As per your review which you are defending, it does 90-100 km/hr between 1800-2000 RPM and now you say it does 90 km/hr at 2000 RPM (which would mean 100 km/hr at around 2200 RPM)? Why the sudden change in numbers? A slight deviation is definitely possible but not of 500-700 RPM.
First of all, one cannot accurately pinpoint an engine's rpm vis-a-vis vehicle speed just by looking at the tachometer needle, so give me that. I might have erred by 100-200 revs.

Secondly, as bigger deviations of 500 rpm are not possible, either your observations (100 km/h ~ 2,500 rpm) are wrong or mine. Since I still defend my case, I'll take that as just your opinion. Thank you.

Edit: Quoting from your portal's review: "tacho needle ticking in at just under 2500 RPM." In my humble opinion, under 2,500 rpm, in any dictionary is definitely NOT 2,500 rpm. So there.

Last edited by AyAn! : 7th December 2015 at 17:05.
Old 7th December 2015, 17:18   #565
BHPian

Did i land in a Tata fan following forum here? is this a place where people who shower praise on Tata come to spend their free time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think that is a lot of sweeping generalization. Generally popularity in taxi segment is a good judge of maintainability and reliability.

The rattling and 99% numbers are also generalizations and I am sure a lot of the Tata owners would disagree with you.

I am not a Tata Owner nor do I have any leanings towards Tata,

Sir, I am looking at the product as a owner of self driven car would and Im sure you agree that Tata has a very low image in that segment.That It sells in taxi segment mainly is what i have also said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Sorry to sound offensive or rude. Please look elsewhere if you are not interested. No one is shoving it down your throat. For your information,

4 years and 84000 kms later, I have no rattles on my Vista. For people who have not owned one, they wouldn't know much now, would they?
Sir, I can say the same to you > Im not shoveing my opinion down your throat.Take it or leave it ITs my opinion. read else where if you cant digest my opinion.
how did you assume Im not/was not a Tata owner? You are assuming too many things here.My family has owned a Sumo and I have driven more than 1 lakh Kms sitting on the drivers seat and cooling my heals in Tata service centre. No more i want to do that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I dont think, without even owning a Tata car, one can make a huge sweeping statement.

If you dont like Tata cars, stay away, nobody is coming and begging to you to buy one.

Remember, Tata Motor owns Jaguar Land Rover ...those cars are eye candies on road, we are proud of the Tatas for their cars, their honesty , VFM offers. Lets wait and see, am sure they will turnaround sooner than later and will earn more respect as a domestic player in coming years.
Sir, as already said, i know Tata Sumo from very near for many years.Subsequently i owned a Mahindra grand,Xylo and Honda City. I have seen many companies their service and their products.
Yes i am staying away fro Tata and i have very good reasons for it. If a man does not learn from mistakes and is adamant to do the same again he is bound to suffer.after more than 3,50,000 kms of ownenership of automobiles of various brands I have formed my opinion and may be when you guys come to that experiene level you will also develop knowledge what to buy and what not to buy.
As for Jaguar Land Rover do you want to compare these to Zica?
if you do so its your opinion and you are entitled to it

Last edited by srinivaspai : 7th December 2015 at 17:48.
Old 7th December 2015, 17:36   #566
BHPian

It just struck me that none of the reviews are highlighting the fact that Zica is probably the only car in its segment and maybe even a segment or two higher to have a dead pedal. If a 2 million rupee car skips dead pedal, everyone would lose their mind, if a budget hatchback offers such a useful feature, no one even bothers.

Having driven over 7-8 hrs at a stretch in cars with and without dead pedal, I can only tell how convenient it is to have such a feature. Or is this just a show-off and nothing much to speak about?

We have a Zest since a year now and ownership has been pleasant to say the least. It feels built like a tank and gives the impressions like those urban SUVs in the way it handles bad patches!

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 7th December 2015 at 17:50. Reason: typos
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:45   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Did i land in a Tata fan following forum here?
My family has owned a Sumo and I have driven more than 1 lakh Kms sitting on the drivers seat and cooling my heals in Tata service centre. No more i want to do that....
It's interesting to note that someone who finds a vehicle unreliable, owns it and drives it for 1,00,000+ kilometers. How can a vehicle, which is adjudged as notorious for breakdowns, can complete 1,00,000 kilometers?

Tata is a company which is continuously improving on all counts like product design, engineering, quality control, after sales, etc. Sure, it has still got to improve more on the after sales, etc. But which company or product is perfect today?
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:48   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Did i land in a Tata fan following forum here? is this a place where people who shower praise on Tata come to spend their free time?

It has been very well established, that post 2012, all the tata products have been reliable comparable to any other in the segment. The issue being raised is because your are maligning a brand.
How have you reached to the conclusion that 99% of the cars on roadsides are tata cars? Look at even the germans, so many of them are on flatbed trucks. But then nobody dismisses them wholeheartedly.

Please do not generalise, as a part of this forum your words have a responsibility not only for the forum owners , but towards the wider audience as well.

A brand can cheat emissions, but we give that brand the benefit of doubt, but a home brand trying to right the wrongs of the past is dismissed outright. That is unfair.
And you say you have formed opinion after experience, granted that you would have, but then you would also know that opinions should never be rigid. They are ever changing.

Last edited by akhil994 : 7th December 2015 at 17:52.
akhil994 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:54   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

Some of these reviews are frustratingly stupid (Zigwheels, for example) and some provide incomplete info like some interior panels can be painted orange - why only orange, it should be what the customer wants or any available colour.
The Motoroids Review of the Zica is up too and it mentions the following:

"Sunburst Orange and Berry Red colored Zicas get these body colored side air vent surrounds; the rest get piano black."

http://www.motoroids.com/reviews/tat...28Motoroids%29
Old 7th December 2015, 17:55   #570
BHPian

A list of interesting features that I would love to bring to attention.

1. Cabin light moved to center.
2. Bluetooth mic on driver's side.
3. Dead pedal.
4. Hooks to attach shopping bags on passenger side and in the boot.
5. Wipers are now hidden from driver's view at rest position.
6. Slots for locking in rear seatbelts when not in use.
7. Interesting little elephant family easter egg.(Go find out)

It is these tiny details that show that Tata has been really paying attention to the customer.
Kommandogerät is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks