Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 19:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs

After Volkswagen plonked the 1.2TSI engine in the Polo, it was only a matter of time that the automaker launched a new turbocharged variant of the VW Vento, one of its two models in India that still run on naturally aspirated engines. And it only became more imminent with the recent news that the automaker plans to retire all conventional engines and go fully turbocharged.

Now we can confirm that VW is set to launch the Vento TSI in October. A source from Volkswagen tells us that the Vento TSI is scheduled for a soft launch on October 3 in India. This is expected going by the pattern of recent VW launches in India, including that of the Cross Polo, Polo GT TSI and Polo GT TDI.

This paves the way for Volkswagen to discontinue the production of the naturally aspirate 1.6 engine currently powering the Vento 1.6, and eventually replacing it by the Vento 1.2 TSI. Earlier this year, the Polo 1.6 was shown the door just before the launch of Polo 1.2TSI.

The Vento GT TSI will not only borrow the 105PS 1.2TSI engine from the Polo GT but also the dual-clutch automatic transmission. The Vento was recently given a facelift and other than a GT badge at the front grille and at the sides and rear, we don’t expect any other changes.

Volkswagen may also offer better looking alloy wheels on the Vento GT. What the Vento, though, will offer more than the Polo GT will be comfortable seating for three at the rear and a bigger boot.

Source: Overdrive.in

Edit: Oncars.in reports that this is a confirmed news. Click here for more details.

Last edited by djay99 : 26th September 2013 at 19:15.
djay99 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 19:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen Vento GT TSI to launch in India on October 3

With the new Honda City rumoured to be launced in the near future and the vento 1.2 launching, its going to be fierse. Vento 1.2 TSI should be launched at the current price only to make real sense. The dicounts howover could be reduced from the near 70-80k currently. Though the DSG can be priced 50k over the current Auto.

The City S MT is available for sub 10.00 on road Mumbai including discounts while the Vento Highline goes for around 9.50 including discounts. City has space and a refined engine advantage over the Vento. With the new engine Vento will surely be the preferred engine while the space compromise remains.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 19:15   #3
BHPian

Thats a cool news for all those wanting a quality c segment sedan with a responsive AT. The current options are all mundane to say the least.
Old 26th September 2013, 19:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Vento GT TSI to launch on 3rd October 2013

I really wish they had plonked a bigger engine in this car , 1.2 105 BHP - so so really in my opinion , the vento is competing in a league where the figures for some are close to 120 BHP.

DSG absolutely a great thing but they cant afford to let the prices run away on this.

Overall i was trying to put myself a few months back when i was looking to buy a sedan , would this have excited me - yes the DSG would definitely have been attractive , 105 BHP - no , my Fabia gave me that.
Old 26th September 2013, 19:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Vento 1.2 TSI should be launched at the current price only to make real sense. The dicounts howover could be reduced from the near 70-80k currently. Though the DSG can be priced 50k over the current Auto.
OTR for Vento Highline AT in Karnataka is 12.8L. If they add a premium of 50K for DSG then OTR will be 13.3L. Too expensive IMO for a boot and slightly larger wheel base when compared to Polo TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
DSG absolutely a great thing but they cant afford to let the prices run away on this.
Pricing is very important else it could be another Fiesta story.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 20:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
OTR for Vento Highline AT in Karnataka is 12.8L. If they add a premium of 50K for DSG then OTR will be 13.3L. Too expensive IMO for a boot and slightly larger wheel base when compared to Polo TSI.
At those levels in terms of pricing i would , personally , probably try and go in for the Skoda.
Old 26th September 2013, 20:50   #7
BHPian

Spoke to vw palace cross in Bangalore, they have no news on this, the sa said the automatic vento deliveries have been delayed, hoping its because of the gt.
Really have hope it's the 1.4 tsi here.
Old 26th September 2013, 21:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quite a logical move IMO. Should be an excellent option in the segment especially if they can keep the pricing closer to the current 1.6 AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I really wish they had plonked a bigger engine in this car , 1.2 105 BHP - so so really in my opinion , the vento is competing in a league where the figures for some are close to 120 BHP.
I believe the 1.2 TSI should be a good fit for the Vento. Even though a sedan, the Vento is only marginally heavier than the Polo. The performance should be on par with the Polo GT TSI. And in the international scene this engine goes into bigger cars like Jetta, Octavia, Yeti etc.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 22:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Vento GT TSI to launch on 3rd October 2013

1.4 TSI won't happen. They can't have their entry-level and mid-range sedans sporting the same power-plant.

1.2 TSI should be more than enough, and I think they'll use the driveability factor (combined with the DSG) as the car's USP, not outright power.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 23:24   #10
BHPian

This is an exciting news but sounds counter intuitive since they have not been able to meet the market demand for Polo GT TSI with uncertain waiting times.
In such a scenario, I don't see any point in launching another TSI + DSG combo in the market !!
Old 26th September 2013, 23:48   #11
BHPian

Vento isn't too much heavier than the Polo. For all the nay-sayers asking for bigger engines, try the 1.2TSI mated with the DSG. Its a brilliant little engine and combined with the DSG which keeps it constantly in the powerband, the 105hp can feel like 120 or more. As far as the City 1.5 goes, the Polo will be only behind on the launch as the DSG doesnt allow it, but it will quickly catch up and fly by it before 100kmph (tested on the Polo). The DSG gives u the shifting advantage, where as most of us non racing humans take 3-4 secs to change gears, and the torque convertors take 2-3 secs, the DSG does it in 0.1-0.5 sec. This is what makes the 105hp feel like 120hp and perform like 120hp. Also the turbo is a pure low-mid range turbo which really helps in passing and city traffic without revving up too much while giving 13-15kmpl and the 7 gears make best use of it on highways while giving 17-18kmpl.

I would love to see the 1.4TSI in the car but honestly it wont be affordable.

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 26th September 2013 at 23:49.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 00:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

I don't understand how they expect to sell this when Polo GTs already have a few months waiting. Where are they suddenly going to manufacture so many more engines from?
Old 27th September 2013, 00:24   #13
BHPian

Super exciting news. Can we except Hill Hold and ESP in Vento too ? Wish they provide Rear Disc Brakes
Old 27th September 2013, 00:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Doesnt this news mean that the Rapid will also get this engine and gearbox combination in no time? VW surely wont produce the 1.6 l engine just for the Skoda? I feel the Rapid with this engine and gearbox combination will make more sense as its way better looking. I have a Vento and i feel the styling is super conservative.
Old 27th September 2013, 02:12   #15
BHPian

This would be an excellent move by VW. Hope they would price it marginally higher that the current AT and this should be a viable replacement for my current ride.

I remember someone (noopster IIRC) mentioning on the Vento thread that someone had seen the Vento GT with a 1.4 TSI and DSG at the VW plant in Pune.

Now only if they improve the wait times and service!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks