Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 13:58   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Vento GT TSI to launch on 3rd October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Just to get some confirmation, does VW see some tax advantage when using a 1.2 rather than 1.6 here? If so, isn't it they can price it little bit better for the aspiring customers?
In an ideal world, yes. In reality, you never know! They might price it for a launch at a lower price and bump prices up in a month.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wouldn't the 1.4 TSI have been a more apt engine to have been brought in the Vento, given that its already more than 4000mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
1.4 TSI won't happen. They can't have their entry-level and mid-range sedans sporting the same power-plant.

1.2 TSI should be more than enough, and I think they'll use the driveability factor (combined with the DSG) as the car's USP, not outright power.
I hope Chetan_Rao has already answered your question 1100D

Product overlap you see.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:12   #33

This is really good news, Love the performance of POLO GT TSI. With VENTO getting this motor and DSG box, the Versatility factor is amplified, hope this is priced right eagerly waiting for the Launch.

Cheers

Mod Note: Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by noopster : 27th September 2013 at 15:33. Reason: Refer mod note in post
Old 27th September 2013, 14:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
In an ideal world, yes. In reality, you never know! They might price it for a launch at a lower price and bump prices up in a month.
It all depends on how they price the car at launch and how many bookings they are able to garner. Given the petrol-diesel scenario (which is still in favour of diesels in the C2 segment) I doubt that the Vento GT TSI will have a large order book. Also note that the Vento GT TSI will be a soft launch.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

This is very interesting, the Vento has become a contender in my list of possible new cars for replacing my City. I liked the idea of the Polo GT but space was an issue. The Vento addresses that issue and is more versatile, as someone else put it.

I like petrol and I like automatic, so this fits the bill nicely. Hopefully, this will force Honda to up its game and I give us some new tech with the new City and not the same 5-speed TC transmission.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Do share - why? Just curious.
These engines and gearbox is tuned keeping performance in mind, I personally would choose the hatch considering it will be faster due to lesser weight and more economical in FE as well even though it maybe negligible. But, I feel there will be easily 1kmpl difference between them, considering the hatch itself is giving pathetic FE figures which is <10kmpl

Besides choosing a Vento over a Polo would a matter of whether you need a boot or not. I would buy the Vento TSI over Polo TSI if there is a major suspension tweak to make it handle better

People who are opting for such cars usually dont care much for boots
Old 27th September 2013, 16:42   #37
BHPian

This is indeed wonderful news but expected i suppose since the Polo got it.
I hope now they introduce the 2 litre TDI in the vento along with the six speed DSG and launch a Vento GTD. Now, wouldn't that be something
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 17:25   #38
BHPian

1.4 TSI won't happen. They can't have their entry-level and mid-range sedans sporting the same power-plant.

1.2 TSI should be more than enough, and I think they'll use the driveability factor (combined with the DSG) as the car's USP, not outright power.

1.2 TSI should be more than enough, and I think they'll use the driveability factor (combined with the DSG) as the car's USP, not outright power.Somehow they cannot badge it GT unless they plonk the 1.4 tsi. 105 bhp of power is pretty much average for the segment. They can just put an AT badge and go home counting money. The GT badge will only appeal to people who buy badging over raw power. Yes, the 1.4 TSI will be expensive, but they can always put some extra features like the Polo GT.
Old 27th September 2013, 18:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
This is indeed wonderful news but expected i suppose since the Polo got it.
I hope now they introduce the 2 litre TDI in the vento along with the six speed DSG and launch a Vento GTD. Now, wouldn't that be something
And what, price the vento alongside the jetta?? That would be ridiculous!!!! The trend for C segment sedans these days is providing a smaller, punchy, FE engine with good low end torque.
Old 27th September 2013, 18:39   #40

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm guessing that the new engine is coming only for the AT.

My Vento petrol is waiting for me to take a delivery on 6th of Oct. Am I buying an already-obsolete model!?
Old 27th September 2013, 19:12   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_K View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm guessing that the new engine is coming only for the AT.
Yes, its coming only in AT (DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_K View Post
My Vento petrol is waiting for me to take a delivery on 6th of Oct. Am I buying an already-obsolete model!?
I strongly urge you to rethink your decision. Your absolutely right that your buying an obsolete model and will have bad resale. No point buying it unless your getting earth shattering discounts
Old 27th September 2013, 20:12   #42
BHPian

Merging back to back posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post

I beg to differ on this point. All these cars use the same 105Bhp Engine/175 Nm (+ 3% depending on country to country) Source: respective links that i posted.

Correct me again if I am wrong!
You are wrong... See beyond specs posted on websites. That is what I meant by do your research. The 1.2TSI we get and is globally sold on the Polo is the VW EA111 CBZx motor. This is an old motor which is manufactured in the Skoda plant.

The EA211 is the motor in the golf and is a new engine specifically designed for the MQB platform cars. The EA211 engines are a completely new four-cylinder turbocharged and direct-injection TSI engines. Compared to its predecessor, the EA211 series is significantly more compact, with installation length 50 mm shorter, thus offering more interior space. The installation position of the engines has also been optimised. Just as in the diesels, the petrol engines are now mounted with the exhaust side facing backwards and tilted at an angle of 12 degrees. The weight of these petrol engines made of die-cast aluminium is only 97 kg for the 1.2 TSI and 106 kg for the 1.4 TSI. The crankshaft alone became lighter by 20 per cent; the connecting rods lost 30 per cent of their weight. In addition the connecting rod bearing journals are now hollow-drilled and pistons now come with flat bottoms, all of them optimized for lower weight. Regarding thermal management, the EA211 petrol engine is equipped with a modern dual-circuit cooling system. That means that a high temperature circuit with a mechanically driven cooling pump cools the basic engine, while a low temperature circuit flows through the intercooler and the turbo-charger casing. The cylinder-head circuit heats the cabin's interior. The exhaust manifold is integrated into the cylinder head, enabling the engine to warm up more quickly, in turn making heat available quickly for the passenger cabin. At high loads, the exhaust is cooled by the coolant, lowering fuel consumption.

So even though the output is the same, the design is totally different. And its known to make around 120hp stock. VW keeps their engines underrated to avoid tax issues in EU so this motor is in reality a bit more potent than the Polo's 1.2 TSI. When the next polo mk7 comes onto the MQB platform it it will get this new motor.

So do your research... same output doesnt mean same engine.

The EA111 motor in the polo and vento TSI
Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_200619.png
Views: 7726
Size:  447.8 KB

The EA211 motor in the golf, yeti etc. All MQB cars.
VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs-download-1.jpg

Comparison. 180 degree turned. Better cooling and lighter and more powerful.
VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs-ea211_2.jpg

Last edited by noopster : 11th October 2013 at 12:12.
prithwi-81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 21:42   #43
BHPian

It is indeed an interesting development which we need to wait and see. But I am not sure till when they can do such things and survive in Indian market. In my opinion, VW India's existence depends upon the export volumes. I still wonder why don't they seriously consider bringing UP! to Indian market.
Old 27th September 2013, 22:44   #44
BHPian

Excellent strategy by VW, very intelligent use of platforms and powertrains, will not be surprised even if they come up with a compact UV using the same platform and engine line up.

Looks like VW has a concrete plan for India, way to go!
Old 27th September 2013, 23:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
This is very interesting, the Vento has become a contender in my list of possible new cars for replacing my City. I liked the idea of the Polo GT but space was an issue. The Vento addresses that issue and is more versatile, as someone else put it.

I like petrol and I like automatic, so this fits the bill nicely. Hopefully, this will force Honda to up its game and I give us some new tech with the new City and not the same 5-speed TC transmission.
Me too. I am so ready to sell off my city and get the Vento DSG but the fact that a facelift vento is due next year is making me think twice. The new City due early next year doesnt make like easier either.
I do not expect the City to have the same technology and we are most likely going to get a slightly update VTEC engine with a conventional auto box. The new CRV doesnt get a turbocharged engine nor does it get a DSG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks