Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 07:49   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs

This is awesome pricing by VW! And its available in that gorgeous Pepper Grey

If you factor in the excise duty on both Polo TSI and Vento TSI at 12% and 24% respectively, the difference between the 2 cars is around 90K.

Polo price - Excise Duty: 7.15 (8L Ex)
Vento price - Excise Duty: 8.06 (10L Ex)
Difference: 92K

I would prefer the Milan fabric upholstery instead of Leatherette though. And think there is no change to that mediocre alloy wheel, Polo scores there too.

Any idea on the extended warranty for the TSI?
Old 11th October 2013, 08:52   #152
BHPian

Will we have an official review for this one? I know this is the same as GT TSI, but the sedan might have a different character to an extent. Plus that 40 kilos additional - really don't know if that makes any difference, so would be glad to have a short official review on the drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Ah! Once again no manual transmission :(

Once the pent up demand is satisfied and sales cool off...we can probably expect one?
Same feeling here. I'm hoping for a Rapid TSI MT sometime next year. That would be worth an official review am sure.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:06   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Will we have an official review for this one? I know this is the same as GT TSI, but the sedan might have a different character to an extent. Plus that 40 kilos additional - really don't know if that makes any difference, so would be glad to have a short official review on the drive!
More than the extra kilos, it will be the longer wheelbase which will make the difference.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 10:06   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
While you're right about the EA211 and EA111 engines, you have made a mistake about the applications.

The links given by Rahulsharma are for the Skoda Yeti, Seat Ibiza and the VW Beetle. None of these are based on MQB and hence cannot be using the EA211 engine.

The only mistake that Rahulsharma made was with the VW Golf MK7 link, which is indeed the EA211 engine since the Golf MK7 is now an MQB platform.

Just thought I would clear the air so other's don't get confused.

No. That is now based on the Euro Rapid. It is based on the Polo, Vento itself.

It's called the Santana based on longer wheelbase of the Vento/Rapid.

Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11210304...tana-announced
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post

Internationally, the Yeti, Golf, Beetle and Seat Ibiza are sold with variants that have the 1.2TSI and DSG combo and all of them have reported decent performance inspite of the fact that some of these are bigger and heavier than the Vento.

Some reviews:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/s.../summary/65070

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...ti-1.2-tsi-dsg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/72...tsi-dsg-review

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
All these have a diffrent 1.2 TSI motor than what is put in the Polo. Do your research before posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
How different it is Prithwi? Probably Rahul listed a wrong example of MK7 Golf, but the point he tried to make holds good – that the same 1.2 motor is an entry level option for bigger VAG cars, a segment above.

Below is a comparison of the 2010 Polo, 2011 Jetta, and the 2010 Golf. I have included the2010 Golf (MK6) only for comparison purpose. The specs looks to be exactly same as what is listed for the GT TSI.

Attachment 1144330
Comparison from www.oneshift.com
Quote:
You are wrong... See beyond specs posted on websites. That is what I meant by do your research. The 1.2TSI we get and is globally sold on the Polo is the VW EA111 CBZx motor. This is an old motor which is manufactured in the Skoda plant.

The EA211 is the motor in the golf and is a new engine specifically designed for the MQB platform cars. The EA211 engines are a completely new four-cylinder turbocharged and direct-injection TSI engines. Compared to its predecessor, the EA211 series is significantly more compact, with installation length 50 mm shorter, thus offering more interior space. The installation position of the engines has also been optimised. Just as in the diesels, the petrol engines are now mounted with the exhaust side facing backwards and tilted at an angle of 12 degrees. The weight of these petrol engines made of die-cast aluminium is only 97 kg for the 1.2 TSI and 106 kg for the 1.4 TSI. The crankshaft alone became lighter by 20 per cent; the connecting rods lost 30 per cent of their weight. In addition the connecting rod bearing journals are now hollow-drilled and pistons now come with flat bottoms, all of them optimized for lower weight. Regarding thermal management, the EA211 petrol engine is equipped with a modern dual-circuit cooling system. That means that a high temperature circuit with a mechanically driven cooling pump cools the basic engine, while a low temperature circuit flows through the intercooler and the turbo-charger casing. The cylinder-head circuit heats the cabin's interior. The exhaust manifold is integrated into the cylinder head, enabling the engine to warm up more quickly, in turn making heat available quickly for the passenger cabin. At high loads, the exhaust is cooled by the coolant, lowering fuel consumption.

So even though the output is the same, the design is totally different. And its known to make around 120hp stock. VW keeps their engines underrated to avoid tax issues in EU so this motor is in reality a bit more potent than the Polo's 1.2 TSI. When the next polo mk7 comes onto the MQB platform it it will get this new motor.

So do your research... same output doesnt mean same engine.
Thank you Vid6639 for clearing the air. Really appreciate that.

What I meant was since the Skoda Yeti, Seat Ibiza and the VW Beetle (and many more models from the VAG Group) use the same 1.2TSI Engine and DSG combo with similar power output, the performance is fairly good. The overall comparison was only to highlight the fact that we can expect similar performance from the Vento TSI too.

I hope my little research is helpful to the community to draw a comparison.

I rest my case.

Last edited by rahulsharma2008 : 11th October 2013 at 10:09.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:32   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Perspective of a first-generation Vento AT owner:

Bought my VW Vento 1.6L MPFI petrol AT in Jan 2011. The launch of this variant has effectively rendered my car, not yet 3 years old, obsolete But it also lands me in a position to objectively list the pros and cons of my model and the new one. This is based (as of now) on secondary sources but will definitely do a TD of the new car when it arrives and update this post.

Price/Features:

The outgoing model (pre-facelift) was priced at 9.21L ex-showroom.

So for the additional 78K, you get:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
-1.2-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces 105 PS and 175 Nm of torque.

High-tech 7-speed DSG automatic gearbox used, for maximum performance and fuel economy

- ARAI-certified FE of 16.93 kmpl

- Electronic stabilization program (ESP)

- Hill-hold function

- "Lakeside" 185/60 R15 alloy wheels

- Halogen headlamps with black finish

- Leatherette seat covering

- Two Din RCD 320 music system with USB, Aux-in, SD Card, Bluetooth
and 4 speakers

- Multi-function steering wheel
- Reverse Sensors are also listed in the brochure that someone has uploaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
They could've plonked in a cruise control and rear discs as well and it would have made a pretty good package.
True, but that would probably price it out of contention for most. My opinion is that it is extremely good value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Ah! Once again no manual transmission :(

Once the pent up demand is satisfied and sales cool off...we can probably expect one?
The petrol MT is the white elephant that clogged up VW's stockyards for months, even years. They stopped production and were selling off 2011 stock till late 2012 at huge discounts. I doubt they will make the same mistake again. No doubt the 1.2 TSI will eventually find its way into the MT variant as well since the old engine has been discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
More than the extra kilos, it will be the longer wheelbase which will make the difference.
It's a 50mm difference. The Vento is a pretty short-wheelbase sedan viewed standalone. I doubt it will make any significant difference.

OK, so in summary:

- 7 speed DSG is zippy, responsive but reliability is a big question mark given the old Skoda failures on the same box.
- 1.2TSI is a beaut of an engine delivering identical power to the NA 1.6 at higher torque (175 vs 153 Nm) and significantly better FE (ARAI for my car is 14 kmpl) while infinitely more fun to drive.
- Bells and whistles added (during the refresh) all cost me additional to add aftermarket (leather seats, reverse sensors, HU compatible with USB/Aux-in). Alloys are improved. Steering gets audio controls now.

So, if you ask me, it is a brilliant VFM proposition. I still love my car and will probably drive it for another few years but accept now that its resale value is shot, thanks to this awesome successor.

Last edited by noopster : 11th October 2013 at 13:36. Reason: Added FE
noopster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 15:59   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Well here is my confusion. I have booked the Polo TSI. I currently drive an SX4 and wanted to move to a compact powerful automatic. The Polo TSI satisfies that requirement perfectly. I do out station trips maybe 4-5 times a year and during these trips (and occasionally the airport/station pick up drops) the SX4 boot has been invaluable. In my trips to Kerala and back the 505 ltr boot is packed to capacity. Considering that this constituted maybe 25% of usage, I had decided to compromise on the boot space. Also, the boot space in the polo is by no means bad.

But there was always a nagging thought in my mind coupled with the question from relatives "why are you downgrading?" (Explaining TSI and DSG would be pointless).

This is where the Vento TSI came in. The price seems good compared to competition. And I assume it would offer similar levels of performance as the Polo TSI. So it seems to be a good balance between what the heart wants and what the mind wants

While that argument happens inside the head, another question came up.

Both Ford and Honda are expected to relaunch the Fiesta and City Automatic by end of the year/early next year. Was just wondering these cars would be be equivalent/better than then Vento TSI and maybe at a lower price point? I read the information available, but did not find any mention of whether the automatic technology will be improved in these cars. I expect the fiesta to come with the same DSG box available now. Will the Honda City get something completely new? Can it be vastly better than the Vento TSI with respect to performance and efficiency?

Any thoughts?
Old 11th October 2013, 16:04   #157
BHPian

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2013 at 20:20.
prithwi-81 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th October 2013, 16:15   #158

Just inquired the pricing details over the phone @ Global Gallarie Motors, Thane :

(Prices as per Mumbai registration) :

Basic : 10.29 Lcas
Insurance : 47,662 (Grossly overpriced)
RTO : 1,02,946
(Handling?) : 6,000
Optional Accessories (termed Essential accessories) : 15,878

The 0% dep insurance amount should be around 38k, as checked via policybazaar.

If someone has inquired with some other dealer, please do share! I'll be booking it first thing in the morning.
Old 11th October 2013, 16:56   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This is where the Vento TSI came in. The price seems good compared to competition. And I assume it would offer similar levels of performance as the Polo TSI. So it seems to be a good balance between what the heart wants and what the mind wants

While that argument happens inside the head, another question came up.

Both Ford and Honda are expected to relaunch the Fiesta and City Automatic by end of the year/early next year. Was just wondering these cars would be be equivalent/better than then Vento TSI and maybe at a lower price point? I read the information available, but did not find any mention of whether the automatic technology will be improved in these cars. I expect the fiesta to come with the same DSG box available now. Will the Honda City get something completely new? Can it be vastly better than the Vento TSI with respect to performance and efficiency?

Any thoughts?
I have a similar dilemma. I own a Honda City and it has been a supremely reliable vehicle and although the Vento TSI is a very tempting vehicle, I'm not sure I want to experiment with VW's service and reliability issues.

Therefore, I have been following news of the 2014 City keenly and here is what I have been able to gather:
People who have seen the car say it much more "aggressive" looking than the current model. It will be slightly larger in its dimensions. It will be unveiled in Japan in November and reach India by December/early 2014. It will have a diesel heart in addition to petrol. The petrol engines will be the new Earth Dreams series that will use direct injection, no turbo (for the 1.3l and 1.5l versions), VTEC and promise better fuel efficiency. The Earth Dreams engines will be mated to new CVT auto transmissions that are also optimized for max efficiency.

The bit about the CVT is from global sites but there is no confirmed news or guarantee that Honda will bring it to India. They may continue using the 5-speed TC unit to save costs - I hope not, the TSI has changed the game.

The powertrain that everybody is talking about in the new Jazz is a 1.3l, direct injection, atkinson cycle petrol engine with an electric motor (hybrid) mated to a dual-clutch transmission. I'd love to see that come to India in the City but that is wishful thinking.

In comparison with the TSI, I think the VW has the most modern transmission tech and all the latest gasoline engine tech. I really don't expect Honda to exceed the TSI's specs. The only thing in Honda's favor is reliability, and over long-term ownership (5+ years) that is a huge factor.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:17   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

I have a similar dilemma. I own a Honda City and it has been a supremely reliable vehicle and although the Vento TSI is a very tempting vehicle, I'm not sure I want to experiment with VW's service and reliability issues.

==========
In comparison with the TSI, I think the VW has the most modern transmission tech and all the latest gasoline engine tech. I really don't expect Honda to exceed the TSI's specs. The only thing in Honda's favor is reliability, and over long-term ownership (5+ years) that is a huge factor.
As far as I know, atleast 5 cars feom the c2 segment ( sx4, vento, rapid, linea, city) are relaunching themselves next year, probably around Q2-Q3. I had a similar dilemma and decided to wait till next may.. so not a bad option to wait as far as I am concerned

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th October 2013 at 17:47. Reason: Please quote only the relevant portions of the post. Quoting long posts causes inconvenience to mobile users
Old 11th October 2013, 17:22   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw1 View Post
Just inquired the pricing details over the phone @ Global Gallarie Motors, Thane :

(Prices as per Mumbai registration) :

Basic : 10.29 Lcas
Insurance : 47,662 (Grossly overpriced)
RTO : 1,02,946
(Handling?) : 6,000
Optional Accessories (termed Essential accessories) : 15,878

The 0% dep insurance amount should be around 38k, as checked via policybazaar.

If someone has inquired with some other dealer, please do share! I'll be booking it first thing in the morning.
Pitch one dealer against the another and you should be able to get rid of handling charges + able to buy your won insurance. You can check with VW Downtown too.

And I believe no extended warranty too option too. Crazy and bad VW India.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:27   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.surgeon1985 View Post

As far as I know, atleast 5 cars feom the c2 segment ( sx4, vento, rapid, linea, city) are relaunching themselves next year, probably around Q2-Q3. I had a similar dilemma and decided to wait till next may.. so not a bad option to wait as far as I am concerned
IMHO, I think the guys who can wait, should wait till next year when the new city is launched in Q2 or Q3 2014, and also as the motortrend article on the DOHC ea211 motor coming in the current polo turns out to be true. Dont get me wrong the ea111 in the current tsi is a great motor, but the ea211 is a 16v motor and also might come with cylinder deactivation, bothwhich will hugely improve FE in our traffic conditions.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:33   #163
BHPian

Quote:

IMHO, I think the guys who can wait, should wait till next year when the new city is launched in Q2 or Q3 2014, and also as the motortrend article on the DOHC ea211 motor coming in the current polo turns out to be true. Dont get me wrong the ea111 in the current tsi is a great motor, but the ea211 is a 16v motor and also might come with cylinder deactivation, bothwhich will hugely improve FE in our traffic conditions.
Yeah. And not to forget the polo and jazz are also getting big upgrades. So lot of options to choose from in the 10 lac category. I expect the verna to also beef up things a bit to keep their sales going on. So 2014 would be a great year for sedan seekers.
dr.surgeon1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 17:54   #164
BHPian

Lots of upgrades going on next year. Does anybody know about next gen Hyundai accent? It was a good little car. Also the maruti xl1 is coming. A vento sized sedan and supposedly replacement for the sx4.
Old 11th October 2013, 18:15   #165
BHPian

Apple Auto just called. 12.64 on road Bangalore. I am going there tomorrow to get more details and will update you all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks