Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 08:08   #256
BHPian

Re: VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs

After about 300Kms on the Vento Tsi. Here's my observation on the downshifting. The rev-matching is brilliant, that's the start. However, the 3rd to 2nd downshifting when slowing down is a little rough (mostly experienced when you are coming to a speed hump). However, to put things in perspective, it's similar to someone giving you a very light pat on the back or your backside. This is when the car is in normal D mode. I'll chalk this up to the car being new for now, but we'll see how it progresses. The rest of the downshifts are seamless and non-jerky.

S-mode is less jerky even on the 3rd to 2nd shift.
stumpz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 09:26   #257
BHPian

This behavior is there in Polo GT TSI as well. Under hard braking, shift from D3 to D2 causes jerk. It is as if someone released clutch pedal way too quickly than supposed to be.
sahilkhurana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 21:55   #258
BHPian

Road Test by Overdrive http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-vol...dia-road-test/
shetty_rohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 22:54   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why none of the auto sites were doing a test drive.

The milage figures quoted seem quite phenomenal. 19kmpl on the highway!! Wonder how accurate it is. Seems too good to be true.
Old 9th November 2013, 10:05   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why none of the auto sites were doing a test drive.

The milage figures quoted seem quite phenomenal. 19kmpl on the highway!! Wonder how accurate it is. Seems too good to be true.
While the review is quite accurate in most respects, the writer has glossed over one of the most important aspects in selecting a new car: reliability. The 6 speed torque convertor may be boring but at least it lasts. VW dsg boxes especially on petrol variants are notorious for failure so a statement like "We know how well VW dsg boxes work" seems a bit disingenuous.
I did a mini review earlier purely on the specs between the Vento TSI and the old Vento AT and looks like this agrees with my assessment . Still need to do a TD in person to confirm though!
Old 9th November 2013, 10:30   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

I did a mini review earlier purely on the specs between the Vento TSI and the old Vento AT and looks like this agrees with my assessment . Still need to do a TD in person to confirm though!
Noopster. Can we expect a team bhp official review for this?
Old 14th November 2013, 18:18   #262
BANNED

Here in Delhi checked with almost all Dealers, there is no VENTO 1.2 TSI available for a Test Drive. Moreover delivery period is varying from One to two months. Booking amount is token and varies from 20~25K. Above all there is no scheme and no discount. Leaves me into a bit of Quandary. Bhpians please help!
Old 14th November 2013, 19:08   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapursaket View Post
Here in Delhi checked with almost all Dealers, there is no VENTO 1.2 TSI available for a Test Drive. Moreover delivery period is varying from One to two months. Booking amount is token and varies from 20~25K. Above all there is no scheme and no discount. Leaves me into a bit of Quandary. Bhpians please help!
I'm in a similar situation and I've decided to wait for the Honda City. I think VW has missed a trick - they had 2-3 months to sell a few hundred cars before the launch of a major competitor and they've given up the advantage.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:33   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Surprising to hear. Here in Bangalore one dealer has a test drive car. I know one dealer has 2 cars readily available and another dealer has 1. The waiting time quoted is worst case one month.
Old 14th November 2013, 21:11   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW Gurgaon and Bhikaji Cama Place have 3 cars available for immediate delivery. 1 white and 2 pepper greys. Go check it out. I also got a test drive at Gurgaon. Must add that it took a harshly worded letter to VW Corporate for the test drive.
Old 14th November 2013, 21:51   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I'm in a similar situation and I've decided to wait for the Honda City. I think VW has missed a trick - they had 2-3 months to sell a few hundred cars before the launch of a major competitor and they've given up the advantage.
But Honda City is just no match for this car. I drove Polo TSI recently and was just blown by its performance. Polo/Vento will leave City behind by a loooong mile. IMO, it is time to forget City and move on. We have new king in town now.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:19   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

But Honda City is just no match for this car. I drove Polo TSI recently and was just blown by its performance. Polo/Vento will leave City behind by a loooong mile. IMO, it is time to forget City and move on. We have new king in town now.
I own both a City and Polo GT TSI. If you are looking for an AT car, DSG is miles ahead of automatic transmission on City.

But in terms of sheer performance both cars have different character. TSI is strong low and mid end performer & i-VTEC has tons of high end torque.
Old 14th November 2013, 23:40   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
I own both a City and Polo GT TSI. If you are looking for an AT car, DSG is miles ahead of automatic transmission on City.

But in terms of sheer performance both cars have different character. TSI is strong low and mid end performer & i-VTEC has tons of high end torque.
I drove my cousin's City VAT extensively but I did not find any high-end torque you are referring to. I was utterly disappointed with its performance on highway. Honda makes very reliable trouble free cars. Period. I do not think they score very high on performance. At least City/Civic. Heck, I even found Accord V6 lacking the grunt. Wondered what all the fuss about Honda cars is and where the horses were hiding. Ditto in 2.4 litre 2012 CRV MT. May be we are spoiled by diesel torques.
Old 15th November 2013, 00:35   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am referring to the 2014 City about which we know very little and which will be unveiled 10 days from now. It's a little premature to pass judgment without details. And irrespective of how good the power train is, VW can't match Honda for sheer reliability.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:29   #270
BHPian

Quote:

I drove my cousin's City VAT extensively but I did not find any high-end torque you are referring to. I was utterly disappointed with its performance on highway. Honda makes very reliable trouble free cars. Period. I do not think they score very high on performance. At least City/Civic. Heck, I even found Accord V6 lacking the grunt. Wondered what all the fuss about Honda cars is and where the horses were hiding. Ditto in 2.4 litre 2012 CRV MT. May be we are spoiled by diesel torques.
Well you have to revv the engine like a maniac to get the grunt.On side effect of this approach is that passengers in the car think you have gone nuts.

TSI being turbo charged makes power available at a much lower rpm and wider band and hence is much more driveable. Thats why TSI + DSG is a great package and will do well.

Apart from that, as you rightly said reliability wise Honda cars are ahead. I can vouch that from personal experience
:-)

Last edited by sahilkhurana : 15th November 2013 at 08:33.
sahilkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks