Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2013, 12:29   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeet.khokher View Post
I have been looking for a replacement for our 6 years old trusted i10 for a few months now and when Team-BHP broke the news of the TSI with DSG, I was very keen on considering this option as well. So my wife and I went for a test drive yesterday at Palace Cross, Bangalore.
I was lucky enough to get the first test drive of the TD car as soon as it came back to the showroom after the pooja. A lot has been said about the brilliance of the 1.2 marvel that the TSI and I witnessed it first hand. I was particularly amazed at the abundant power and torque that the seemingly small 1.2 lt engine has throughout the rev range. I found the 'S' mode simply fantastic as the car suddenly transforms itself into a speed demon.
One disappointment (which could actually be a deal-breaker for me) was the FE. After a test drive for about 4-5 kms, I could see the FE in the MID at a very poor 7 kmpl. For a 1.2 lt engine, I expected at least 10 kmpl driving in a slightly heavy traffic. I was also told by the SA there that this is what one can expect with a car this size in city as customers with the Polo TSI are getting around 8-9 kmpl already. I found this to be a little hard to believe as my expectation with this engine in the Polo TSI was at least 10-11. Anyone owning a Polo TSI please let me know the FE figures with the car.
A rule of thumb that works for me (for the routes/roads I travel on) is ARAI mileage minus 5 to get a real world approximate mileage. In the Vento TSI's case that will be 16.93 - 5 = 11.93 kmpl.
Old 21st October 2013, 13:38   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
A rule of thumb that works for me (for the routes/roads I travel on) is ARAI mileage minus 5 to get a real world approximate mileage. In the Vento TSI's case that will be 16.93 - 5 = 11.93 kmpl.
Thanks StarScream. That is precisely what I follow while getting a ball-park figure on the FE of a car. However, 7.x kmpl was way too low for me to digest. So regardless of how much fun a car is to drive, at the end of the day if we get that bad FE figures, I am not sure if I would be closing the deal on this. However, I would want to be proven wrong and would like to hear more from other BHPians on this before taking a final call.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:32   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw1 View Post
Thanks. Apparently the Thane guy owes me some explanation! How come he quote my 10k more for RTO! Anyways, I'll be visiting them both this Sunday. Will keep everyone posted.
I checked with HDFC Ergo for a zero depreciation insurance on Vento TSi for Thane - the quote INR32600 compared to dealer's quote of nearly INR47K. Dealer is okay with me buying my own insurance. They will also match other dealer's quote on RTO charges.
Amidoc - I have sent you a PM requesting the quote from VW Downtown.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:43   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks StarScream. That is precisely what I follow while getting a ball-park figure on the FE of a car. However, 7.x kmpl was way too low for me to digest. So regardless of how much fun a car is to drive, at the end of the day if we get that bad FE figures, I am not sure if I would be closing the deal on this. However, I would want to be proven wrong and would like to hear more from other BHPians on this before taking a final call.
Since the TSI is a car that I'm considering as well I have been reading up about the engine on overseas forums and my impression is mileage depends a lot on how you drive and traffic. Driven sedately and on motorways, folks with Polo's and the Yeti's in the UK report numbers upwards of 40 mpg (17 km/l). Terrible city traffic and lots of idling brings it down to 32 mpg (approx 13 km/l). Knock off 1 km/l for the A/C always running in our conditions and its comes back to 12 km/l, which is roughly the ballpark number in the Polo GT TSI ownership threads here as well.

I think 12 km/l in the city is a safe number to assume for a privately-owned, non-test-drive car.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 14:47   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4 KM drive is too less to estimate what kind of efficiency figures the engine is capable of. Please try a longer TD, ideally a mix of city and highway/freeway run. The engine itself will need to be driven few KMs (I read somewhere more than 20 KMs) before it comes to optimal state.

I have the NA petrol Vento (AT one) and I get around 10-11 in city traffic here in Bangalore. Recently did a highway run (BLR-PY) and I got 17 on the MID while going (430 KM from home to resort in PY, mostly on good/great SH/AH roads) and 13.5 while coming back (300 KM different route, mostly on the pathetic NH66). I think the 1.2 TSi should easily better this (better engine and better gearbox should definitely help.)
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 15:06   #216
BHPian

Quote:
would like to hear more from other BHPians on this before taking a final call.
Worst in bumper to bumper (3kms took 40 mins to cover) and i would consider this as an outlayer the f.e was 7

Best when car was cruising on an open stretch was 14.1

No sports mode only D

On an avg it hovers around 9-11

If your daily commute is the crazy traffic route ,i suggest you look for a different car (the m.i.d will give you heart aches)
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 16:30   #217
BHPian

My Shadow Blue TSI is taking time to arrive. SA says it may come after Diwali. Something about the car not allocated by the factory yet.
They (BU Bhandari) have a Terra Beige TSI in stock, but no point in sacrificing my preferred colour over a few days wait. I think I'll take up meditation in the meanwhile.
Old 21st October 2013, 17:34   #218
BHPian

Went to the yard to see the car in person - Vento TSi in Pepper Grey. They are taking bookings as of now, deliveries only after RTO approval on this model. Unable to decide whether to wait-in-line for my Polo GT TSi or book this one.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs-untitled.jpg  

VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs-img_0142.jpg  

VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs-img_1986.jpg  

salman_ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 18:21   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
Just ignore what SA is saying. If they don't have answer, they will make up stories.
Why should one ignore the sales person? After all he should be eager to make a sale. I wouldn't be surprised if the real mileage is even less. A turbo-charged motor with low engine capacity could end up having very low torque at lower rpms. This could lead to drivers pedaling it heavily.
Old 21st October 2013, 21:52   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman_ferrari View Post
Went to the yard to see the car in person - Vento TSi in Pepper Grey. They are taking bookings as of now, deliveries only after RTO approval on this model. Unable to decide whether to wait-in-line for my Polo GT TSi or book this one.

Here are some pics.
Hey which dealer is this. I'm also in same boat as you. Waiting for my Polo TSI and confused whether should go for vento. When did you book your Polo GT ?
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:16   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here are some pics.
This one looks classy . Please upgrade to Vento from Polo, if you are going for TSi engine.
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:25   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hey which dealer is this. I'm also in same boat as you. Waiting for my Polo TSI and confused whether should go for vento. When did you book your Polo GT ?
VW Mount Road. They have one car currently and a few more coming. Do let me know when you make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
This one looks classy . Please upgrade to Vento from Polo, if you are going for TSi engine.
Thanks for the suggestion. I see you prefer the Vento to Polo. Ofcourse, buying the car for the engine (aren't we all?) but I really don't require the extra boot space nor rear-seat comfort. Heck, if VW wants to hold on to rear-seats in exchange for small discount on the Polo, I might be OK with that
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:28   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I see you prefer the Vento to Polo. Ofcourse, buying the car for the engine (aren't we all?) but I really don't require the extra boot space nor rear-seat comfort. Heck, if VW wants to hold on to rear-seats in exchange for small discount on the Polo, I might be OK with that
You never know about Indian ladies packing skills & requirements . They will pack 10-days luggage for 2-days outstation visit, & there is where the sedan comes into picture. Moreover, I believe, the Polo TSi isn't available in metallic shades... please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:01   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
You never know about Indian ladies packing skills & requirements . They will pack 10-days luggage for 2-days outstation visit, & there is where the sedan comes into picture. Moreover, I believe, the Polo TSi isn't available in metallic shades... please correct me if I am wrong.
Lol, while that might be true. It is solely going to be driven by me in the city so practically Vento does not make sense. And yes, you are right Polo GT TSi is not available in metallic shades.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:10   #225
BHPian

Got the delivery for my Shadow Blue Vento TSI last evening. Average Mileage on display yesterday was about 7.2 kmpl, but after driving around a bit, it's risen to 9.0 kmpl today. I'm expecting it to go higher in another day or two. Will be posting pictures as soon as I get a photo-shoot opportunity (hopefully on a weekend trip).

Brief first impressions - Yes, it almost feels exactly like a Polo GT. The suspension is a tad bit softer than the Polo, but handling is barely affected. After owning a Honda City for 5 years it takes some getting used to. Sports mode is a pure adrenaline rush, and you have to keep reminding yourself it's actually a 1.2L engine. High speed stability lives up to the German name, and hits speeds of about 140 km/h in the 5th gear on Sports mode, revving all the way to 6000 RPM. Turbo sounds wonderful for an intermediate family sedan.

P.S. - Someone has mentioned it before, but thought a reminder would help - Remember to check Tire Pressure after delivery. Recommended pressure in the front and rear tires were about 32 and 29 for 2 passengers. When I checked it, it was a staggering 42 PSI for the rear and 25 PSI for the front. Thus the ride quality was severely affected after delivery.
ahmadnaik is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks