Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 08:38   #241
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie drops this info:

Likely variants on offer - E MT, S MT, V MT, VX MT, VX (Sunroof) MT, VX AT (Petrol only).

Likely Pricing (ex-showroom Delhi) :-
Petrol: 7.99L - 10.29L,
Diesel: 9.09L - 11.49L,
VX AT - 10.99L.
If this is true, I will be disappointed. AT version was selling @ 10 lacs. This means, we have to pay 1 lac more.

I think there may be 2 variants in AT as before (S & V)
Old 28th November 2013, 10:18   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
If this is true, I will be disappointed. AT version was selling @ 10 lacs. This means, we have to pay 1 lac more.

I think there may be 2 variants in AT as before (S & V)
That is because you are now having to buy it in the VX trim !
For the extra Lakh, you get -
- ACC
- Sunroof
- Reverse Parking Aid
- 2 additional tweeters
- A touch operated music system which finally can play CDs!
- Bluetooth audio
- And some minor things more

So I guess the price tag is justified.
However, what is not justified at all, is that all manufacturers assuming that people who want an AT, cannot live without all these additional features!

Almost all manufacturers offer AT only in the top-of the line, fully loaded variants!
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 10:33   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
That is because you are now having to buy it in the VX trim !
For the extra Lakh, you get -
- ACC
- Sunroof
- Reverse Parking Aid
- 2 additional tweeters
- A touch operated music system which finally can play CDs!
- Bluetooth audio
- And some minor things more

So I guess the price tag is justified.
However, what is not justified at all, is that all manufacturers assuming that people who want an AT, cannot live without all these additional features!

Almost all manufacturers offer AT only in the top-of the line, fully loaded variants!
I dont think you get sunroof in VX. Earlier City didnt. Theres another variant that has sunroof, maybe called VX(O). In the previous gen city VX(O) had sunroof and leather interiors (to differentiate from VX) and it was more than a lac costlier.

By the way 11L ex-showroom means it will be most expensive AT car in its class. Here in Bangalore we'll have to pay even more thanks to even higher taxes for breaching the 10L barrier.

Edit: As per RavenAvi's post, there is a VX AT/MT and also VX(Sunroof) variant.

Last edited by joslicx : 28th November 2013 at 10:35.
Old 28th November 2013, 11:30   #244
BHPian

Moderators note: Post edited to remove [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

I visited the Apex Honda showroom in Sion yesterday with the intention of pre-booking the New City but put it off till today, since I hadn’t carried my chequebook with me. The charming sales executive advised me against using my credit card since it involves an unnecessary 2% surcharge. So I’ll go again this evening, chequebook in hand, though she did offer to have the cheque picked from my residence. Anyway, while talking to her yesterday I was pretty amused to find that I had more info on the car than she did, thanks to all the gyan I picked up from this thread, and advised her to read up on it on this website. Thanks are in order to all you guys.
There are a couple of points I’d like explained by those of you who have experience with cars that have the push button start/stop instead of keys:
1. 1. What is the maximum approximate distance (e.g. a few feet or a few metres) you can stand away from the car, with the fob in your pocket, in order for the car door to unlock?
2. 2. If the fob is in your pocket and within unlocking range can someone else get in and drive away? In other words, does the fob always need to be within this range for the engine to continue to run? I’m sure all can understand what I’m getting at here.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th November 2013 at 11:40.
Old 28th November 2013, 11:57   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I dont think you get sunroof in VX. Earlier City didnt. Theres another variant that has sunroof, maybe called VX(O). In the previous gen city VX(O) had sunroof and leather interiors (to differentiate from VX) and it was more than a lac costlier.

By the way 11L ex-showroom means it will be most expensive AT car in its class. Here in Bangalore we'll have to pay even more thanks to even higher taxes for breaching the 10L barrier.

Edit: As per RavenAvi's post, there is a VX AT/MT and also VX(Sunroof) variant.

hi,

The 3rd generation City never had any VX variant. The nomenclature VX was introduced in Amaze for the first time, then carried forward to Brio, and now City.

The 3rd generation City had in all 6 variants in V. 3 in AT and 3 in MT, those were as below

VMT- (Manual transmission)
VMT- Sunroof (apart from standard V features, additional was sunroof, factory fitted leather seats, leather steering wheel and gear knob)
VMT- AVN (apart from standard V features, additional was AVN system, factory fitted leather seats, steering wheel and gear knob)

VAT- (Automatic transmission)
VAT- Sunroof (apart from standard V features, additional was sunroof, factory fitted leather seats and leather steering wheel)
VAT- AVN (apart from standard V features, additional was AVN system, factory fitted leather seats and steering wheel)

So as a customer you didn't get sunroof as well as AVN together. You had to choose between them and the sunroof model was marginally expensive than the AVN model.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 13:00   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Moderators note: Post edited to remove [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

There are a couple of points I’d like explained by those of you who have experience with cars that have the push button start/stop instead of keys:
1. 1. What is the maximum approximate distance (e.g. a few feet or a few meters) you can stand away from the car, with the fob in your pocket, in order for the car door to unlock?
2. 2. If the fob is in your pocket and within unlocking range can someone else get in and drive away? In other words, does the fob always need to be within this range for the engine to continue to run? I’m sure all can understand what I’m getting at here.
Congratulations on choosing one of the best and reliable C segment car in the country. Meanwhile to answer your queries

1) Usually, IMHO it is a maximum of 10 to 20 mtrs, again the range is as per the manufacturer specifications.

2) Yes, the FOB is always needed in the car to run the engine. In-fact, for instance even if you happen to get down from the car, to go to a grocery shop, and take the fob with you keeping the engine running, moment you are away from the range, the car will automatically shut down the engine. In Cruze, moment the fob is away from the car, the car shuts off the engine and locks itself up rolling up the windows even if they are down. Though, I wouldn't know if Honda is equipped with this feature, but yes, the engine would definitely shut off.
Old 28th November 2013, 13:13   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two reasons come to my mind;

1) Low demand - So they try to make maximum profit by offering it with top variant.
2) Those who want AT car will buy AT car only - companies know that.
Old 28th November 2013, 13:35   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

1) Low demand - So they try to make maximum profit by offering it with top variant.
If Honda is not offering AT as earlier (3 variants in S & V) Volkswagen will be the biggest beneficiary. 7 speed TSI is the biggest threat to Honda AT. if I have to choose between VW TSI (costing 10.17 lacs ex showroom) and honda city AT (costing 11 lacs ex showroom), I may choose VW. But, if city AT is offering less than 10.5 lacs, I may choose city.
Old 28th November 2013, 13:36   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

I agree with the first point, that is one of the ways that a manufacturer might make a handsome profit!
But for the second point, I know many a cases, where, people who wanted a AT hatch ( mostly ladies ) settled for an MT, as the only good AT hatch ( i10 in this case ) cost 7.2L OTR! if Hyundai had offered a lower variant at 5.6-6L OTR, it would have had more takers.

All said and done, in most cases, AT is a 'Luxury' than a 'Requirement' ( Exactly your point of ppl who want the AT) probably that is why manufacturers plan to stretch it, smartly!

Last edited by aravind.anand : 28th November 2013 at 13:38.
Old 28th November 2013, 14:11   #250
BHPian

What hurts is the fact that Honda is playing it extremely safe.

NO Rear disc breaks, ESP, Six Airbags, Variable geometry turbo, AT (Diesel)

The engine output will be similar to the Amaze.

The Verna does not have much to worry about in terms of equipment.

As such an obvious improvement over the last gen.

Lets hope pricing can be a talking point.

Last edited by Zappex : 28th November 2013 at 14:13.
Zappex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:17   #251
BHPian

Quote:
All said and done, in most cases, AT is a 'Luxury' than a 'Requirement' ( Exactly your point of ppl who want the AT) probably that is why manufacturers plan to stretch it, smartly!
Fully agreed.

And that's where the auto companies need a fresh perspective. They need to think in terms of 'converting' people to drive AT's. Offer optional AT with middle variant at least, so someone can then decide between the top variant and AT. People switching to AT will find the convenience too much to then go back to MT for the next purchase.

And with a company like Honda having a fuss free and relatively better AT transmission, such a move across its entire product range makes even more sense.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 16:30   #252
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the first point, that is one of the ways that a manufacturer might make a handsome profit!
But for the second point, I know many a cases, where, people who wanted a AT hatch ( mostly ladies ) settled for an MT, as the only good AT hatch ( i10 in this case ) cost 7.2L OTR! if Hyundai had offered a lower variant at 5.6-6L OTR, it would have had more takers.

It is a chicken and egg situation really, unless prices are lower volumes won't be higher, and without higher volumes prices remain high. What the market needs is for some manufacturer to buck the trend and offer auto across all variants.
Old 28th November 2013, 16:38   #253
BHPian

Is there any chance of DRLs getting included in the production version? could'nt find that mentioned anywhere in the specs.Verna got those in the recent facelift. Also any mention of rain-sensing wipers, auto-headlamps, cooled glovebox etc? Not that these are essential features that I am looking for in a sedan, but Hyundai is offering it even in hatchbacks. Certain features like these (though most are unwanted) surely enhances the "luxurious & feature rich" image of the model. I hope Honda takes note of this.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:16   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

VAT- (Automatic transmission)
VAT- Sunroof (apart from standard V features, additional was sunroof, factory fitted leather seats and leather steering wheel)
VAT- AVN (apart from standard V features, additional was AVN system, factory fitted leather seats and steering wheel)

So as a customer you didn't get sunroof as well as AVN together. You had to choose between them and the sunroof model was marginally expensive than the AVN model.
My question is why cant they provide both in the top end model? In fact they had actually listed a model with AVN and sunroof on their website, but pulled it off within a week.

I hope Honda rectifies this and the top most variant should have everything that particular model offers. There are lots of people who buy the topmost variant only since some of the features on such variants cannot be added later if one purchases a lower variant.
Old 28th November 2013, 20:51   #255
BHPian

For all those concerned with the exterior design of the new City, I have this to say: Wait till you see the car in person. Photographs depend a lot on perspective, aspect ratio, ambient light etc and many a times can be deceiving. Honda as a general rule makes good-looking cars, and over the years has produced quite a few stunners, including the 3rd generation Honda. It is one of their priorities to give the customer a sporty feel. On the other hand, Toyota and Nissan generally make more conservative looking cars. For example, take a look at the Corolla since early 80s till now, you cannot say it ever sported a very exciting look. However, we have all come to know that all these brands make very very reliable cars, and it's a joy to own them. I have owned all three brands.

I'd say, at least to me, from the pictures it seems, on the front end Honda has settled for a slightly more conservative look than the 3rd generation, especially with the design of two symmetric creases on the front bonnet. The front of the 3rd generation City was as aggressive as one could get without spoiling the elegance. Obviously they could not make it more aggressive.

On the side profile, the design this time, I'd say, is more aggressive than the 3rd generation.

Regarding the other concerns about ground clearance and safety features, I do not think there should be any concerns. In the 3rd generation City, Honda provided ABS with EBD and 2 airbags across all variants including the entry point CE. This was one of the reasons, I decided in favor of a Honda City. About the ground clearance, I'd suggest all concerned to read the ownership records starting the beginning of 2012. From the 2012 edition (a mini 'upgrade') the City had a slightly better GC of 165 mm and stiffer suspension, as a result there is no scraping of the bottom at any stiff bumpers, provided one drives over these distractions at a reasonably low speed. Remember, the City is not an off-roader, it's only a sedan supposed to be driven on roads.
asitkde is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks