Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 17:56   #196
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

IMO the "Arrow Shot Form Design" City looked much more sexier & sleeker than the "Sleek Cross-Motion Form Design" of this All New City 4th Generation City. I think, in one statement, it summarized what I feel about the exteriors. Honda has tried doing to many things at one go.

As far as interiors are concerned, after drooling over it again and again, I have come to realize, that things are not in the right place. And here is why i think so

1) Audio System is to close to the driver, seat belt strapped co-passenger will find it difficult to operate. The only button that possibly the co-passenger can operate is of Mode and Source

2) The start stop button is too close to the knee, can accidentally end up turning off the car while in motion, unless there are sensors in place to detect that the car is in motion and in gear and therefore should not switch off.

3) The digital console is on the right, it needs to be seen, how well it can be read in day time, considering direct glare from the sunlight, as tinted windows are banned in India

4) ORVM buttons now move on the dashboard, drivers will find it difficult to access while driving, can be hazardous too.

5) The hazard lights switch looks glaringly out of place and well as size.

Honestly, the 3rd generation City though didn't have class leading features as the current generation, but things were placed where they should have been. But yes, like every generation of City has put the Honda Sales Chart on fire, I am sure even this version would. And this is attributed not only to the product, but also for the Brand Honda. As with Honda cars, fantastic after sales service comes as a package. A package, you need not ask for, but as a customer you get it voluntarily.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 17:58   #197
BHPian

The pics suggest Honda have a done a neat job with their new player. Only miss IMHO is not launching a diesel automatic. Often I come across so many prospective buyers in my friends & family circle who are eagerly awaiting to invest their dollars on the next best diesel automatic. Lets wait & see if Honda does take the Hyundai route to launch the diesel tranny after a while in which case I am sure they will have segment leader in their ranks.
Old 26th November 2013, 18:00   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
So what will be the acronym for this?
2014ANHC, GEN4HC….
Can someone suggest...
I can suggest to read this post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3303504
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:05   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
So what will be the acronym for this?
2014ANHC, GEN4HC….
Can someone suggest...

Cheers
The Mods have requested that we don't use any so how about we go with that, to maintain reader legibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Note from Mod : Please refrain from using acronyms like ANHC, BNHC etc as its very confusing to new members and others who arent familiar with acronyms. Lets all please type the full new of the brand name and model. Thanks in advance to all for your cooperation
vb-San, sorry only just saw your post which has the identical msg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
4) ORVM buttons now move on the dashboard, drivers will find it difficult to access while driving, can be hazardous too.

But yes, like every generation of City has put the Honda Sales Chart on fire, I am sure even this version would. And this is attributed not only to the product, but also for the Brand Honda. As with Honda cars, fantastic after sales service comes as a package. A package, you need not ask for, but as a customer you get it voluntarily.
I for think it's just plan hazardous to operate the ORVM controls while driving, irrespective of where it is placed.

And yes, this Honda irrespective of the flak it's receiving, will sell very well too (what has stopped the Verna from selling even though many here know it's got that wallowy suspension?)

Last edited by k_ajay : 26th November 2013 at 18:14. Reason: Adding a note for vb-san.
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:43   #200
BHPian

I personally find the design quite appealing and just perfect as people are expecting too many changes, I feel that if they would have done some more brain storming W.r.t design it would have turned out to be a quirky and overdone.

The current target audience will like it as it carries the same Honda City attitude and character as far as the design is concerned. Moreover, Honda as a brand is having quite a good penetration in smaller markets and a better brand perception.
Old 26th November 2013, 18:50   #201
BHPian

I can't understand why everyone is cribbing about the GC. Doesn't the latest iteration of the current City have improved GC? Honda certainly won't turn the wheel backwards if that's the doubt on everyones mind

Besides, upsizing the tyres a bit and playing with the aspect ratio within acceptable limits also helps. Dunno why some are saying they won't buy the city due to the skinny tyres, that's one factor that shouldn't even matter
Old 26th November 2013, 20:06   #202
Senior - BHPian

Until about 2 days ago, lot of people were fearing that the Crider from China should not land here as the new City. Some were even praying for it to not happen! Now that we have a car that is much better than the Crider, we should only be happy right?
Agreed that it has not surpassed all our expectations like the revolutionary Arrow-shot form 2008 City did, but its not all that bad either.
Old 26th November 2013, 20:26   #203
BHPian

I found the chromed grille outright Ugly. Even the Honda Amaze looks ugly with those chrome steel bows which the car carries. It doeesnot suit the overall design and mars the looks. Honda's last or 3rd generation grille is miles ahead in styling than the present neck bow type of design.
Old 26th November 2013, 20:35   #204
BHPian

I think it's a pretty neat design, if just a bit rushed, but that overdose of chrome is a bit annoying. I'm pretty sure it'll sell really well, but pricing is key here, as always with Honda.
Old 26th November 2013, 21:55   #205
BHPian

Now I understood why we did not spot any test mule of 2014 Honda City. Honda knew nothing much to test. It's almost similar to the previous generation Honda City. The major changes are in the front and rear. In my opinion, the launch was over hyped. Anyways I am sure it will bag decent numbers for sure.
Old 26th November 2013, 21:57   #206
BHPian

Overall I liked the exterior styling and the interiors too.

1. The headlamps have taken slight design cues from the last gen Civic.

2. The tail lamps seem to have design cues from the 3 Series - E90.

3. ACC, Start Stop button is a welcome addition.

4. Along with the 5 inch display, had Honda added a SATNAV system it would definitely have been a big value-add and a segment first (?).

Honda claims that the engine is more refined. I'm already a big big fan of Honda refinement. I'm waiting to take this out for a spin to experience even more refinement.

Adding to Nilesh's points, here are my views-

1) Audio System is to close to the driver, seat belt strapped co-passenger will find it difficult to operate. The only button that possibly the co-passenger can operate is of Mode and Source

This would depend on the seat position, no? If the co-passenger hasn't pulled the seat completely at the back, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

2) The start stop button is too close to the knee, can accidentally end up turning off the car while in motion, unless there are sensors in place to detect that the car is in motion and in gear and therefore should not switch off.

This again seems to be a function of seating position IMO. For example, I'm a fan of low seating position and I adjust the seat to the lowest position. So, this again would depend on the seating position too.

3) ORVM buttons now move on the dashboard, drivers will find it difficult to access while driving, can be hazardous too.

On the dolphin, it used to be on the dashboard. On the ANHC, it moved to the door-pads, and now again to the dashboard. Not sure if this is based on feedback or what. Even the Corolla has it on the dashboard. So, either they moved it based on feedback, or are playing with it.

-Yogesh.

Last edited by yogeshnagpal : 26th November 2013 at 22:07. Reason: Added some more comments.
yogeshnagpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:47   #207
BHPian

I have mixed feelings for the new city, though I am happy that Honda is plonking its diesel heart into the new city, there is an overall disappointment since this isn't much of refreshing new design as expected from Honda. Some how I feel the Honda launches are analogous to iphone launch where they come up with something new, path breaking and "un heard of" factors/features. If viewed from that angle this is a total let down.
Though the design, exterior and interiors are nothing to complain of, I feel Honda has gone back in time and model especially for interiors. As someone rightly pointed, this looks a bit like "caught in between" the transition from the dolphin model to ANHC with some design cues from Hyundai fluidic concept. But the nail biting climax will come to an end when Honda announces the tech specs of the engine and price, considering that I personally don't expect city to be great in dynamics but just a neutral one. The size of the tyres are an indirect indicator of this fact. Certain things which I dint like are as below.

1. Little outdated styling for AC vents and dashboard (Don't know if the pictures played spoilsport)

2. Center console looks asymmetrical by extending little bit into passenger area like in Amaze/Brio

3. Small wheels/tires which does not fill the well (and that is expected and everyone knows this is no Linea Tjet )

4. Side profile and rear has some elements from fluidic, so feels like I have seen it.

5. From the pictures, I don't think the driver seat has adjustable lumbar support

And as I mentioned, the real verdict can only be passed after seeing the power/torque figures and $$$ for the diesel model

Last edited by shinuak : 26th November 2013 at 23:49. Reason: Addition
Old 27th November 2013, 01:32   #208
BHPian

I dont think Honda will go overboard with their pricing. It just wont make sense.

Expect a mild premium to the Verna and thats it.
Old 27th November 2013, 07:24   #209
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the front end look too low for our Indian conditions. Ground clearence also has always been an issue.

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-image1779896821.jpg
Old 27th November 2013, 07:43   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Doesn't the front end look too low for our Indian conditions. Ground clearence also has always been an issue.
It seems Honda has redressed the issue of ground clearance with the 2012 city going by the ownership reports. Going forward I think that it will not be a problem in the new 2014 City. Let us wait for the test drive report in the interim.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks