Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 08:11   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

As per the video posted in the previous page, the city will get an FGT, that would limit the power at 90HP, which is a disappointment.

The tyres are thin. There is no plastic trim or even lining on the trunk lid.

All the above lead me to think that the pricing will be on the lower side.

If it undercuts the VERNA by even 20K INR, I think this will be a runaway hit !

Enthusiasts will have to wait, I was expecting a VGT and a power of 110 BHP.

Last edited by F150 : 27th November 2013 at 08:13.
Old 27th November 2013, 08:37   #212
BHPian

As speculated on ACI, the top end diesel is expected to be priced around 11.3 lacs ex-showroom which translates to around 13.75 to 14 lakhs on road which is almost the same as the Verna.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th November 2013 at 09:44. Reason: typo corrected
Old 27th November 2013, 09:13   #213
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Enthusiasts will have to wait, I was expecting a VGT and a power of 110 BHP.
That was ruled out by Hormazd's tweet some time back. They are saying upgraded FGT engine, so maybe the 100 ponies will be jacked op to 110. They have the options of both tweaking, and simply raising the (current low) rev limit.
Old 27th November 2013, 09:26   #214
Senior - BHPian

Even with the same 100 BHP unit of the Amaze, if Honda can work on the gearing, it will definitely help make the car feel faster. And considering that the i-Dtec gets a 6 Speed transmission, if Honda can develop a close ratio gear-box which matches well with the torque and power output characteristics of the engine, it would definitely 'feel' fast and powerful.

For more details on how the humble gearing can do so much, recollect the Maruti DDiS Vs the Fiat MJD saga
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 09:35   #215

I was in the market for a Hyundai i20 and would have considered stretching my budget a bit for the Honda City 2014. But the launch was disappointing...

I agree that the front grill looks ugly now even though the rear is pretty good-looking. But given the metamorphosis in design, engine and interior, each generation of Honda City went through, this one is surely not going to convert any customers like me. sitting on the fence.

I remember one of the honchos of Honda remarking (during the launch) that Honda City is known for its aspirational value. What that meant was the car would convert customers in the market for a segment lower than what this car was priced in. However, I doubt that this 2014 model is going to attract such in numbers...
vinayakdshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 09:45   #216
BHPian

I personally find the design quite appealing and just perfect as people are expecting too many changes, I feel that if they would have done some more brain storming W.r.t design it would have turned out to be a quirky and overdone.

The current target audience will like it as it carries the same Honda City attitude and character as far as the design is concerned. Moreover, Honda as a brand is having quite a good penetration in smaller markets and a better brand perception.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 10:50   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
I personally find the design quite appealing and just perfect as people are expecting too many changes, I feel that if they would have done some more brain storming W.r.t design it would have turned out to be a quirky and overdone.

The current target audience will like it as it carries the same Honda City attitude and character as far as the design is concerned. Moreover, Honda as a brand is having quite a good penetration in smaller markets and a better brand perception.
+1. Spot on. We should look at the design philosophy from a more holistic perspective. For e.g: How much can you improve an iPhone (drastically, Y-o-Y)?Changes will always be evolutionary for an previously revolutionary product. Its our no holds barred imagination, and our fast-tracked life that's expecting huge overhauls for things that are just fine.

I believe Honda has done a decent job (apart from the skinny tyres, mashed up console and a couple other quirks) in introducing the 2014 model. The previous gen owners don't feel left out much - which is very important as well.

Having said that, complaints, if any, should be towards missing the real value added features. For e.g, Absence of : ESP, ABS with EBD, cooled glove box, electrically adjustable seat height, telescopic steering, heat reducing windshield, 6 air bags etc - which are the REAL features that makes a qualitative difference in driving and ownership experience.
4 charging ports? What for? Does nobody in the car talk to each other? What will happen to the car battery? Touch screen controls are a just a gimmick. Where is Microsoft Sync?

So, all in all, its a mixed bag. If I were sitting on the fence, or if I were waiting this launch, certainly they would have had a customer in me.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:51   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Doesn't the front end look too low for our Indian conditions. Ground clearence also has always been an issue.

Attachment 1171714
Seeing the City in this pic head on, it looks like someone took a nice Honda City and put an aftermarket front bumper to it. The rear is very beautiful, but the front (specially with that fat moustache chrome grill), not so much.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Vento and Rapid have the 105bhp diesel. Verna's is far more powerful. Fiat is speculated coming with the 1.6MJD too. Honda I hope is not planning to launch the City with 100bhp engine (doing duty on the Amaze). Issue is that it will still sell well as most people will only want high fuel efficiency.
~~~~~~~~~~~

And I just saw this on Hyundai's website for the Elantra. Anyone agrees? Surely Hyundai filter what gets featured on their site.

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-elantra-website.png

Last edited by k_ajay : 27th November 2013 at 11:09.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:06   #219
BHPian

I can see history repeating!
How many have found the old Maruti Esteem and the first Honda City looking similar in terms of overall design and tail light placement?
Old 27th November 2013, 11:50   #220
Senior - BHPian

I am disappointed with that dash-board. Looks like from 90s. The steering is good though. But it appears too thick, like Scorpio's. Exterior is good though, especially front and back ends are better than present model. Love those new tail-lamps.
Old 27th November 2013, 13:18   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
I can see history repeating!
How many have found the old Maruti Esteem and the first Honda City looking similar in terms of overall design and tail light placement?
Not me for sure. Those 2 cars were totally different.
By that logic i can think of 100 models that look like each other.
Old 27th November 2013, 14:36   #222
BHPian

Next year already looks exiting for my upcomming upgrade. I am hoping to see lesser waiting periods and good price. Brand CITY never fades !
Old 27th November 2013, 15:00   #223
BHPian

I have a feeling that the plastics 'look' cheaper, a-la the old Indigo XL. The rear a/c vent looks weird and out of place.
No rear boot lid soundproofing? The wires look out of place. Somehow, I don't like what I see.
The Face looks as if it was done by a local 'designer' with body kit IMHO.

I feel that every alternate generation takes the 'look' to a better level.
Gen 1 - great for its time.
Gen 2- Dolphin! :(
Gen 3 - Arrow Head (Again a looker)
Gen 4 - Hidden Dragon - I will call this the Dragon design, breathes fire but looks weird.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 15:15   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Birdie drops this info:

Likely variants on offer - E MT, S MT, V MT, VX MT, VX (Sunroof) MT, VX AT (Petrol only).

Likely Pricing (ex-showroom Delhi) :-
Petrol: 7.99L - 10.29L,
Diesel: 9.09L - 11.49L,
VX AT - 10.99L.
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 15:19   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie drops this info: Likely variants on offer - E MT, S MT, V MT, VX MT, VX (Sunroof) MT, VX AT (Petrol only). Likely Pricing (ex-showroom Delhi) :- Petrol: 7.99L - 10.29L, Diesel: 9.09L - 11.49L, VX AT - 10.99L.
That is awesome information that you got here! I am pleased with the diesel pricing, especially with the top end. Now only wait is to see what features are in each of the variants. With only a little difference between the low end and high end, I'm sure it will be difficult to choose between variants (2.5 lakhs and 6 petrol variants and 5 diesel variants).
Thank the birdie as well!

Last edited by kryogesh : 27th November 2013 at 15:22.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks